Slavia Prague receive Rangers dossier as 'very annoying' Alfredo Morelos picked out by wary former Aberdeen man

Salamanca

The Czechs are riding a crest of a wave after defeating Leicester City in the last round but they have been told don't expect another Celtic.

Ex-Aberdeen keeper Tomas Cerny has warned his countrymen that Rangers are a completely different prospect than Celtic ahead of the Europa League last 16 showdown.

The Czechs are riding a crest of a wave after defeating Leicester City in the last round and city rivals Sparta have already tasted success against Scots this season with home and away 4-1 victories against Celtic in the same competition.

But ex-Partick Thistle and Hamilton Accies keeper Cerny, who retired from football earlier this season due to a knee injury, has urged Slavia not to think they will easily replicate Sparta's success.

He said: "Sparta caught Celtic in their worst situation for ten years. Even in the league, they had problems beating smaller teams and recently they lost to the bottom placed side.

"When they played Sparta, Celtic were in a period where they hadn't won for many, many games, which is unthinkable in Scotland.

"Rangers will be completely different. The two sides are not comparable at all. Rangers will be very confident against Slavia.

"They play attractive football and are very good offensively. They are absolutely cruising to the title. This is Steven Gerrard's third year and the longer he has been here, the more you can see his style of football. Even when they are not at their best, they win.

"Rangers dictate play and that doesn't change against anyone. They were far better than Antwerp for example. They have a very annoying player in Alfredo Morelos, but he's a great scorer and they also have Ryan Kent. Sometimes, it's unbelievable what he can do.

"However, the injury to their captain James Tavernier is a big loss for them. He's scored an incredible amount of goals from right back and has almost the same number of assists.

"Rangers do have some similarities with Leicester, but Slavia have shown reputations don't bother them and it will be a very interesting tie."

Meanwhile, Slavia boss Jindrich Trpisovsky has revealed he knows Rangers will be a tough draw because he's already watched them.

He pointed out: "By coincidence, I actually watched a Rangers game on TV three weeks ago. Look at their position in the Scottish league and their performances in Europe and it will tell you we are playing serious opposition.

"In my opinion, they are the strongest team seen in Scotland for many years.

"It would be nice if we could take a lead to Glasgow after the first leg, but I wouldn't be too annoyed if we for another 0-0 draw like against Leicester.

"Rangers play a slightly different style to Leicester, but certainly playing in England will help us when we play Rangers.

"It's just a pity our fans won't be able to experience the famous Glasgow atmosphere."

Some nice words from the Slavia Prague manager. :D

The Czechs are riding a crest of a wave after defeating Leicester City in the last round but they have been told don't expect another Celtic.

Ex-Aberdeen keeper Tomas Cerny has warned his countrymen that Rangers are a completely different prospect than Celtic ahead of the Europa League last 16 showdown.

The Czechs are riding a crest of a wave after defeating Leicester City in the last round and city rivals Sparta have already tasted success against Scots this season with home and away 4-1 victories against Celtic in the same competition.

But ex-Partick Thistle and Hamilton Accies keeper Cerny, who retired from football earlier this season due to a knee injury, has urged Slavia not to think they will easily replicate Sparta's success.

He said: "Sparta caught Celtic in their worst situation for ten years. Even in the league, they had problems beating smaller teams and recently they lost to the bottom placed side.

"When they played Sparta, Celtic were in a period where they hadn't won for many, many games, which is unthinkable in Scotland.

"Rangers will be completely different. The two sides are not comparable at all. Rangers will be very confident against Slavia.

"They play attractive football and are very good offensively. They are absolutely cruising to the title. This is Steven Gerrard's third year and the longer he has been here, the more you can see his style of football. Even when they are not at their best, they win.

"Rangers dictate play and that doesn't change against anyone. They were far better than Antwerp for example. They have a very annoying player in Alfredo Morelos, but he's a great scorer and they also have Ryan Kent. Sometimes, it's unbelievable what he can do.

"However, the injury to their captain James Tavernier is a big loss for them. He's scored an incredible amount of goals from right back and has almost the same number of assists.

"Rangers do have some similarities with Leicester, but Slavia have shown reputations don't bother them and it will be a very interesting tie."

Meanwhile, Slavia boss Jindrich Trpisovsky has revealed he knows Rangers will be a tough draw because he's already watched them.

He pointed out: "By coincidence, I actually watched a Rangers game on TV three weeks ago. Look at their position in the Scottish league and their performances in Europe and it will tell you we are playing serious opposition.

"It would be nice if we could take a lead to Glasgow after the first leg, but I wouldn't be too annoyed if we for another 0-0 draw like against Leicester.

"Rangers play a slightly different style to Leicester, but certainly playing in England will help us when we play Rangers.

"It's just a pity our fans won't be able to experience the famous Glasgow atmosphere."

Havent noticed your posts on here before, but this one is a belter. You can come again. Ha ha.

Loved reading that. Great content.

They should be thrilled to get another 0-0 in the first leg.

We've scored 20 goals in 6 away games in Europe and the last time we failed to score was away to Livingston in August.

I suspect that the translation of the Czech word would be better given as bothersome or troublesome.

So, the Scottish mhedia pick out the comment about Alfredo for the headline.

How pathetic.. I don't think he meant it in a bad way - not when you read (as I have) the full article on the Czech website. It was not derogatory in any way.

The coach comments are on the official club website.

Something lost in translation but typically the media jump on that to create a headline

Forgot they went out to Sparta! Sparta are 2nd best over now. So if we can beat the Czech top team it’ll be extra nice.

I'll bet they didn't receive a dossier at all:cool:.

Direct translation of dossier is: "journalist rang a czech player he's heard of who would talk to him."

I believe all of the dossiers were locked in the office when the transfer window slammed shut.

Celtic won the game before and their game after the first 4-1 spanking so he’s off the mark there. Although to be fair, they were the only two wins in a dozen games.

This is shaping up to a very interesting tie for me. I think there will be two very close games. No blow outs this time.

Yes, he’d better watch his windows though!

So, the Scottish mhedia pick out the comment about Alfredo for the headline.

How pathetic.. I don't think he meant it in a bad way - not when you read (as I have) the full article on the Czech website. It was not derogatory in any way.

The coach comments are on the official club website.
Thought the same

With the content of the article the headline should have been about the respect they have for Rangers recent results and performance, especially in Europe the last few years. Instead of focusing one wee comment about Alfie being troublesome for defenders

We’re at the business end of this competition now and we have to bring our A game both defensively and in attack with quick transition. We’re capable of this but there are no easy games from now on. Focus and battle fever turned up to 11.

In my opinion, they are the strongest team seen in Scotland for many years.

That quote will have the mentally challengeds foaming at the mouth :))

I think a lot of laptops will have been smashed this morning reading that.

In terms of Europe are the strongest and best Scottish Team since we went to the UEFA cup final, no other Scottish team has been as consistent as we have been in the last 3 years, over the last 14 years.

Back