Match Thread Slovakia v Scotland (Sky Sports Football 14:00)

Scotland looked solid even with lots of personnel changes. Looked like McBurnie continues to struggle, Christie was poor too.

Given Scotland hadn't lost in nine I'm not too broken up.

Tierney was more effective in the Robertson position than Robertson has been. Unfortunately the best option still remain Tierny - Robertson in that CB, WB spot.

I get that but, telling a septic supporter one of his is a good player is not wise.
They need to add jam onto it.
Larsson was a great player became him being the best import ever, better than Laudrup.
It’s in their genes, must be.
I told one that their new left back wasn’t as bad as was being made out.
The reply was that he was better than Barisic!
These examples are about twenty years and fI’ve thousand miles apart.
Proves they talk sh1t in all corners of the globe.
Thankfully the ones I have to be around are pretty decent & not full blown mentalists :))

Tierney has played well is a very good player who is still very young. Can’t even be bothered with staunch points patter.

He’s played better today than I can ever remember our captain playing for the NT.
I couldn’t give a flying whether you think I’m staunch or not. I didn’t say he wasn’t a good player; I offered an opinion that he wasn’t worth £20m and that I rather have Borna than him.
I have no idea why you feel the need to offer an implicit criticism of our captain by referencing him in your post.

I couldn’t give a flying whether you think I’m staunch or not. I didn’t say he wasn’t a good player; I offered an opinion that he wasn’t worth £20m and that I rather have Borna than him.
I have no idea why you feel the need to offer an implicit criticism of our captain by referencing him in your post.
He obviously is an EPL player seeing as he’s been one of Arsenals best players since his arrival.

Borna is a better player yes, Borna is also 5 years older hence Tierney’s £20m valuation. Which I guarantee Arsenal fans see as a bargain.

Borna is also an odd comparison seeing as they play different positions.

RE criticising Robertson, I think you’ve gotten confused.

Think his captain reference was about robertson?

I get that but, telling a septic supporter one of his is a good player is not wise.
They need to add jam onto it.
Larsson was a great player became him being the best import ever, better than Laudrup.
It’s in their genes, must be.
I told one that their new left back wasn’t as bad as was being made out.
The reply was that he was better than Barisic!
These examples are about twenty years and five thousand miles apart.
Proves they talk sh1t in all corners of the globe.

Anyone half-decent at the Piggery immediately becomes " the best in Europe ". They've never changed with their lunacy as long as I've known any of them. Remember Lennon before being hyped in the Scottish media as " the best young Manager in Europe ". lol

So we'd like Turkey and Ireland to win their respective 5pm games then, to boost our hopes of being one of the top 2 B section teams. Not too sure how I feel about that.

Cracking strip, Kamara is their main man & a nation who seem to punch well above their weight :))

You know I'd argue they're traditionally the biggest underachievers in Europe.

They were rank rotten until the last few years and had no major appearances unlike their scandinavian neighbours or other countries with over 5 million of a population.

Think they generally prefer sports that involve ice over there though.

You know I'd argue they're traditionally the biggest underachievers in Europe.

They were rank rotten until the last few years and had no major appearances unlike their scandinavian neighbours or other countries with over 5 million of a population.

Think they generally prefer sports that involve ice over there though.
Yeah now that you’ve mentioned it, that does make more sense to be honest.

Aside from Litmananen have they had any World class players?. I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Scotland had chances but missed them all. I would have started Griffiths as he would have put one of them in. Not a bad performance but a defeat is a defeat. Our best 11 should beat Israel though with Dykes leading the line.

You don’t think Scotland dominated that game?
I don't think they did much of anything constructive, it was tedious stuff. Slightly better? yes! I think "dominated" is pushing it to be fair.
If anyone believes they would have 10 points from a group under the previous qualification system, they are mental!

He obviously is an EPL player seeing as he’s been one of Arsenals best players since his arrival.

Borna is a better player yes, Borna is also 5 years older hence Tierney’s £20m valuation. Which I guarantee Arsenal fans see as a bargain.

Borna is also an odd comparison seeing as they play different positions.

RE criticising Robertson, I think you’ve gotten confused.
We agree that Borna is a better player; indeed a better left back. I was judging Tierney on what I’ve seen of him in internationals and the odd EPL game and still don’t think he was worth £20m. I automatically think of Tav whenever anyone says “our captain” but my mistake. I also think Robertson is a far better player than Tierney.
I may not agree with your opinions but I will respect them.

Scotland had chances but missed them all. I would have started Griffiths as he would have put one of them in. Not a bad performance but a defeat is a defeat. Our best 11 should beat Israel though with Dykes leading the line.
Griffiths who waved an Irish tricolour at Ibrox.........he’s a real Scotsman eh

Gordon straight back in.

JM must feel what does he have to do?
Get a regular game for his club I’d think.
No idea why Clarke took him, if you are not shining week in week out for your club I can’t see how you can even be considered for international football

I don't think they did much of anything constructive, it was tedious stuff. Slightly better? yes! I think "dominated" is pushing it to be fair.
If anyone believes they would have 10 points from a group under the previous qualification system, they are mental!
Why does that even matter? All competitions evolve, champions league etc have all changed ... it is what it is and you take advantage of it

Has the physique of a darts player, rather than a footballer.

He's incapable of starting a game because he is only fit enough to last about 20 minutes.

Has the physique of a darts player, rather than a footballer.

He's incapable of starting a game because he is only fit enough to last about 20 minutes.

There was a chance where he was put through in the second half - it wasn't a perfect pass by any means, but the Griffiths of a few years back would have been on to it and very likely have scored. He didn't look like getting anywhere near it.

There's a reason why Lennon has persisted with an out of form Edouard and, at times, even the Polish fella whose name I forget.

There was a chance where he was put through in the second half - it wasn't a perfect pass by any means, but the Griffiths of a few years back would have been on to it and very likely have scored. He didn't look like getting anywhere near it.

There's a reason why Lennon has persisted with an out of form Edouard and, at times, even the Polish fella whose name I forget.

Griffiths will still score a handful of goals this season, but his days of making a meaningful contribution over a season are gone.

A 38 year old Defoe is a far sharper and fitter striker and will contribute far more to our season than Griffiths will to their's.

I only saw the 2nd half and highlights of the first. I thought scotland played well certainly didn't deserve to lose. Most attacking I've seen from a scotland side for years

BBC deleted this tweet earlier about McBurnie:

EjWUYhy.png

bit unprofessional from a company like the BBC who is supposed to be impartial? as the post below it says, they'd never say that about thumb or anyone else

EjWUYhy.png

bit unprofessional from a company like the BBC who is supposed to be impartial? as the post below it says, they'd never say that about thumb or anyone else

Other than the commitment aspect I'd say that's a fair question.

I think in relation to griffiths most people can see he's done and we can't pin our hopes on him. Mcburnie is playing epl football worth 20 million so logically he should be the main man

Poor Leigh. Why do people keep picking on him? So what if he's a bit racist, a bit sectarian, a bit fat, an unmarried father of 5 and he does drugs. He plays for Sellik so that's ok.

EjWUYhy.png

Agreed, you’d expect that from a tabloid, not that the BBC has much of a reputation nowadays. I’m sure McBurnie knows he’s not been good enough though he doesn’t need the country’s broadcaster slamming his commitment when he’s already getting enough stick from fans/tabloids

So that
s the unbeaten run over .9 games against 2nd and 3rd rate countries is not really good. In with the big boys now .expect a run of defeats.

Back