Smith's 92/93 side vs Advocaat's 99/00 side

That season knocked out of CL followed by knocked out of UEFA cup.

No Europe after xmas. That season team.

The only reason Walter was in Europe after Christmas was that the format hadn't been squeezed in to a group and knockout format and the group ties were spread over the entire year.

Advocaat had played the 6 games in the groups by December. Walter's team had from November until the following April to play them all.

See if you're going to put forward an argument, at least make it a comparible one.

Goram
Reyna Gough Amoruso Numan
Durrant B. Ferguson Gio Albertz
McCoist Hateley

Narrow midfield 4, Albertz and Durrant given license to get forward and give a goal threat.

Numan and Reyna technical ability and good enough to provide width. Not Reyna natural position but such a good player he could do it.

Very strong spine to the team

Aye one was sustainable and one was not. Hence the last decade.

Unsustainable for us, sure.
Players weren't going for the same sort of sums in 92/93 compared with 98-01.

World record transfer fee around 1992 I'm sure was Papin for around 10m to Milan
By 2000 Luis Figo was going for 35m

Players were costing more by Advocaats tenure and we clearly stretched ourselves too far to try and compete.

Last edited:
Sustainable for us, sure.

World record transfer fee around 1992 I'm sure was Papin for around 10m to Milan

Players were costing more by Advocaats tenure and we clearly stretched ourselves too far to try and compete.

True. As early as 2000, Monaco and Galatasaray was considered an “easy” group. Those two clubs could blow us out the water financially. Nonda went to Turkey for about 18mill.

True. As early as 2000, Monaco and Galatasaray was considered an “easy” group. Those two clubs could blow us out the water financially. Nonda went to Turkey for about 18mill.
Galatasaray also just won the UEFA cup with Jardel, Hagi, Poppescu and Sukur :))

In general it probably was, doesn’t alter the fact though that Smith’s side fared better than Advocaats, Marseille were easily better than anything we came up against under wee Dick in the group stages.
Very debatable, Valencia & Bayern could easily be argued as better teams.

Valencia were a good side, we have faced much better Bayern teams imo, we actually dominated both games against them and got 1 point from 6.
Yeah I agree, wasn’t necessarily disagreeing with you, more I think it’s quite debatable. I honestly get annoyed at the Bayern games watching highlights. Oliver Khan wonder saves, us missing chances and Zickler being a diving cnut.

Unsustainable for us, sure.

92-93 Top Appearance XI (Smith) treble winners (cheated out a euro final / undefeated!)

goram - 52
mcpherson - 53
brown - 59
Gough - 39
robertson - 58
mccall - 54
durrant - 47
ferguson - 43
Huistra - 42
mccoist - 52
hateley - 54

NOTE: 9 scottish players with a player budget very sustainable

Give me that team anyday

Goram
Reyna Gough Amoruso Numan
Durrant B. Ferguson Gio Albertz
McCoist Hateley

Narrow midfield 4, Albertz and Durrant given license to get forward and give a goal threat.

Numan and Reyna technical ability and good enough to provide width. Not Reyna natural position but such a good player he could do it.

Very strong spine to the team
By then Dureant didn’t break the lines. I know your thinking of the Marseille goal bu that was an oddity for post injury Durant in 92/93

Goram

Reyna Gough Bomber Numan

Fergusson Gio

Albertz

Hateley McCoist Mols

Explanatory notes! Moore in that season was as quick and as uncompromising a defender as we have ever had Despite getting hauled off after 35 minutes in one game by an angry Advocaat but I’ve given Bomber the nod because at pittodrie and Celtic park etc he was neccesary. Had to choose between Gough and Amo and as I don’t see this team having backs to the wall Amo Nearly gets the nod but Gough wins out for leadership and lack of blunders. I’m gonna have attacking full backs if this team is playing in Scotland much like our current set up I’m playing Reyna at right back just to accomodate him as he was class personified.

My team doesn’t have much width but that would be up to Numan and Reyna to provide. I’d expect mols to drop deep and on the turn feed McCoist or the full backs. If we go back to front Hately wins everything and knocks on for McCoist or Albertz feeds off second balls.

Caveats: Albertz wasn’t at his absolute best in that season so McCann may be a better option to provide width for Hately in which case he comes in but in place of Mols, Reyna moves into midfield and Porrini goes to right back. Gary Stevens was injured and only played ten games for Smith that season.

ps horrible question!!! Spent half an hour on it!
Haha, agreed. Two amazing sides and looking at it from 2020, it’s been a privilege to have seen them both!

That Advocaat team really should have went further in Europe. We were unlucky against Bayern and blew it against Dortmund.

As an aside the champions league was ridiculously bloated by that point, I think that was the era of two separate group stages. The leaner 92/93 format with league champions only was much more exciting, although after the break up of USSR and Yugoslavia it had to expand I guess.

Albertz played the same position under Advocaat, with Reyna on the other side. All managers do it.
Nobody mentioned them?.

It was a more tongue in cheek comment about him playing anyone he could left midfield who quite clearly weren’t left midfielders.

Think this is mine, 2 great teams although i remember the Advocaat one better (born in 1980).

Goram
Porrini Gough Moore Numan
Tugay B. Ferguson Gio
Mols
Hateley McCoist

Subs:

Klos
Amoruso
Albertz
I. Ferguson
Mikhailichenko

Pick your starting XI :O

Goram

Gough Amoruso Numan

Reyna B. Ferguson Van Bronckhorst Albertz McCann

McCoist Hateley

Probably the two most iconic teams of my youth. Th early 90s team were an unbelievable unit while the later side arguably had better individual talents. Mols in 1999 was truly special but I couldn't include here in this setup ahead of the McCoist/Hateley partnership.
Three at the back?
Did you learn nothing on Saturday?

Goram, Gough, B Ferguson, Albertz, McCoist and Hateley are the first names on the team sheet.

Right back is a tough one, MacPherson vs Porrini.

I’d go Amoruso beside Gough but I was a huge John Brown fan, a vastly underrated player.

Numan rather than Robertson at left back.

Gio edges it in front of McCall and I Ferguson.

Reyna vs Steven/Durrant is the toss of a coin.

I think some folk leaving out either of McCoist / Hateley are forgetting just how good they actually were.

The 2 best strikers I’ve seen in my lifetime, individually.

As a partnership, even better.

Mols was a good player but doesn’t come close.
For a Scottish striker to win the golden boot once, never mind twice on the bounce will surely never happen again.

For a Scottish striker to win the golden boot once, never mind twice on the bounce will surely never happen again.
It won’t for the simple fact they would have to score something like 110 goals per season.

McCoist won his before the points index came into play which obviously gave him an advantage, the winner after him was a fella in the welsh league.

Not discrediting the achievement by the way, merely backing up your point :))

Smith’s team was all blood and snotters and never say die while Advocaat’s was a good bit more composed and assured.

If I had to pick between them it would be the latter, even though they didn’t get as far, but Gerrard is building a team that is approaching that level of confidence in Europe.

Last edited:
I think some folk leaving out either of McCoist / Hateley are forgetting just how good they actually were.

The 2 best strikers I’ve seen in my lifetime, individually.

As a partnership, even better.

Mols was a good player but doesn’t come close.
Domestically McCoist and in Europe it would be pre injury Mols.

Smith’s team was all blood and snotters and never say die while Advocaat’s was a good more composed and assured.

If I had to pick between them it would be the latter, even though they didn’t get as far, but Gerrard is building a team that is approaching that level of confidence in Europe.
You’re dead right in your team summary for me.
If either side and a quarter of the other’s main attribute, they’d have been unbeatable.

The 92-93 wouldnt have been able to live with teams from the late 90s onwards. Football got a lot faster and players were fitter. The boozing culture was nothing what it had been like by the turn of the century.

92-93 carried a good bit of luck in their euro campaign whereas the 99-00 was the polar opposite.

Having grown up watching both sides I think the 99-00 would win, even if most of my heroes were in the 92/93 side.

Back