Smith's 92/93 side vs Advocaat's 99/00 side

Glass Onion

Pick your starting XI :O

Goram

Gough Amoruso Numan

Reyna B. Ferguson Van Bronckhorst Albertz McCann

McCoist Hateley

Probably the two most iconic teams of my youth. Th early 90s team were an unbelievable unit while the later side arguably had better individual talents. Mols in 1999 was truly special but I couldn't include here in this setup ahead of the McCoist/Hateley partnership.

Goram

Porrini Gough Amo Numan

Reyna Barry Gio Albertz

McCoist Hateley

I love McCann and tried to shoehorn him in but I couldn’t leave Albertz or Gio out.

------------------Goram-----------------

Stevens---Gough---Amoruso---Numan

Reyna----B. Ferguson----Gio----McCann

------------Mols-----------Hateley----

McCoist and Mols is the only real quandry for me there.

stevens hardly kicked a ball in 92/93 vagally remember him in all honesty that season.

Goram
Stevens
Numan
Gough
Brown
Albertz
Ferguson
Gio
Durrant
McCoist
Hateley

narrow 3 in midfield with Durrant in a slightly more advanced role and the width comes from 2 of the best attacking full backs to have pulled on the blue jersey in my lifetime.

I’m close to this with a couple of changes...

I’d argue that McPherson was the right back for most of that season after Steven’s’ was injured on England duty before the Euros in 1992.
So in this comparison it’s Porrini for me - I liked him, didn’t get forward quite as much as Stevens but could defend all day long.

I’m always torn over Numan/Robertson. I prefer Robertson on the whole - I think he gave more to the team. Numan came with a much higher profile and reputation but I think Robertson gave you more desire.

McCoist/Mols is a difficult one. Moles was the more technical as a player in many ways but McCoist brought a bit of magic and teamed up so well with Hateley.
Given the midfield then I’d go Mols.

I loved Miko in the team, a real quality player but both McCann and Reyna gave you a lot more within a match.
Reyna was something else - he wasn’t the best at anything but he was really good at everything and could play central of wide in midfield or at fullback and never look out of place.

stevens hardly kicked a ball in 92/93 vagally remember him in all honesty that season.

But he was still a better right back than Dave McPherson!

You're right though. I remember him in the 92-94 strip but it's possible that most of them were from the following year.

The shout might actually be to put Reyna at right back then from the two teams.

Great arguments could be had here, has to be said though, Walters side came within a goal of a Champions League final and went 10 games undefeated in the competition, wee Dicks team couldn’t make it out the group stage, although he had some wonderful players.

But he was still a better right back than Dave McPherson!

You're right though. I remember him in the 92-94 strip but it's possible that most of them were from the following year.

The shout might actually be to put Reyna at right back then from the two teams.

McPherson was immense in 92-93, I dont go by big names.

McPherson was alright. Gough, Goram, McCoist and Hateley were "immense"

Anyway, problem solved. It's Reyna at right back with Trevor Steven in the right of midfield role.

in your opinion for me the whole 92-93 were a team of players, managed to perfection Battlers who never cost the earth. That team all day. Advocaats team was more what money could buy.

Also 92-93 was a year a certain someone picked up most RSCs player of the year and it was not any you say that were immense.

Goram
Stevens Gough Amoruso Numan
Steven B.Ferguson Durrant Gio
McCoist Hateley

Stevens hardly kicked a ball in 92-92, are you just saying what players were the best in that squad overall or their performance that year?

It could be said also that Walter’s team in 92/93 played in a more competitive domestic league with both Aberdeen and Motherwell having decent sides as well as the scum. Which makes the 44 game run and Champions League effort all the more remarkable.

Need to take big name glasses of. Anyone seeing McPherson at RB in 92/93 are kidding themselves if not giving him credit. And picking big name players who never really contributed.

in your opinion for me the whole 92-93 were a team of players, managed to perfection Battlers who never cost the earth. That team all day. Advocaats team was more what money could buy.

Also 92-93 was a year a certain someone picked up most RSCs player of the year and it was not any you say that were immense.

I don't agree about that for the 99 team. Advocaat's folly when it came to money was the year after. What was spent was required after the 9IAR team hit the skids.

That 99 team would be this.

-----------------Klos-------------------

Reyna-----Amo-----Moore----Numan

-----Barry-----Gio-------Albertz

----Mols-----Wallace---McCann-----

Only Numan, Gio and Mols were large outlays by him. There's two youth players, a free transfer and a couple of £1.5m buys in Reyna and McCann. Even Klos wasn't a million.

It could be said also that Walter’s team in 92/93 played in a more competitive domestic league with both Aberdeen and Motherwell having decent sides as well as the scum. Which makes the 44 game run and Champions League effort all the more remarkable.

Best team I have ever seen. Pound for pound. Remarkable. Think people should state their age in these types of thread.

Need to take big name glasses of. Anyone seeing McPherson at RB in 92/93 are kidding themselves if not giving him credit. And picking big name players who never really contributed.

You can't be saying that Reyna didn't contribute to the 99 team surely? He played over 40 games that season and Porrini about half that due to injury.

McCoist won the golden boot for the second year on the spin 92/93.

There is no quandary to be had.

You put peak Mols in that team and I think we beat Marseille.

The question over Mols is "what if?" and obviously the myth can grow but I firmly believe he'd be in the Laudrup and Gascoigne category if we'd got him without the injury for three years or so.

I don't agree about that for the 99 team. Advocaat's folly when it came to money was the year after. What was spent was required after the 9IAR team hit the skids.

That 99 team would be this.

-----------------Klos-------------------

Reyna-----Amo-----Moore----Numan

-----Barry-----Gio-------Albertz

----Mols-----Wallace---McCann-----

Only Numan, Gio and Mols were large outlays by him. There's two youth players, a free transfer and a couple of £1.5m buys in Reyna and McCann. Even Klos wasn't a million.

M8 have a look what he spent the year before? Jeez wizz.

M8 have a look what he spent the year before?

I've literally made comment about what he spent the year before and it was required due to the break up for the NIAR team.

See that team I stuck up in the post you've just quoted, that's the 99 team we're talking about.

Amato, Kanchelskis and Guivarch aren't in that starting XI. They're not there because Advocaat managed to make the team better by adding McCann and Reyna for a pittance.

It'd be like saying we need to look at Walter spending £4m on Duncan Ferguson from a different team.

I've literally made comment about what he spent the year before and it was required due to the break up for the NIAR team.

See that team I stuck up in the post you've just quoted, that's the 99 team we're talking about.

Amato, Kanchelskis and Guivarch aren't in that starting XI. They're not there because Advocaat managed to make the team better by adding McCann and Reyna for a pittance.

It'd be like saying we need to look at Walter spending £4m on Duncan Ferguson from a different team.

Amato cost more.... But you are picking players who were offset by his big money buys. Walters team picks itself from that era.

For instance you are picking midfielders who played beside BIG BIG money buys.

Put me in a team that includes, numan, van bronckhorst, Mols etc And i would shine.

Rangers players in 92-92 were a workman like team who were absolutely awesome penny for penny.

I hate this post.

Same as me mate, the two pioneering teams of my youth and they were both absolutely incredible.

Don't make me do this....

Amato cost more....

Than what? Ferguson? It's irrelevant. We're talking about a comparison of the two teams.

Mikhailichenko cost more than McCann. It's not relevant.

Advocaat spent money but it wasn't daft stuff until 2001 with Flo and Ball. Smith spent huge sums too and had players from the Souness reign too which were huge fees for the time by comparison.

Always feel that Porrini doesn't get the plaudits he deserves, what a career he had. Was that a massive signing at the time?
He had just started in a champions league final for Juve when we signed him so imagine so, Italian international back then too.

Than what? Ferguson? It's irrelevant. We're talking about a comparison of the two teams.

Advocaat spent money but it wasn't daft stuff until 2001 with Flo and Ball. Smith spent huge sums too and had players from the Souness reign too which were huge fees for the time by comparison.

4.2 on amato is daft in my book. You cant compare Smith to Advocaat.

Murray lost the plot with Advocaat and we suffered for a decade because of it.

92-93 was the best managed team pound for pound. Best era I have seen and been supporting for 44 years. Not my age.

Again his crazy spending happened when he arrived.

He had just started in a champions league final for Juve when we signed him so imagine so, Italian international back then too.

Yeah I remember him playing, but I don't remember the signing. On paper it looks like a massive transfer for us, but you rarely hear it spoken about the same way you do other transfers.

Miko was a better player than McCann. McCann had more impact on us over time but Miko was internationally recognised as a superstar.

Without de-railing, Murray takes the blame IMO you can’t say “here’s all this money” that you don’t actually have. Nor can you spout the nonsense of “we’re going to spend £10m on a striker”. Prior to 00/01 Dick had seldom wasted money.

If that's the take, Murray lost the plot with Smith in the summer of 97 and it cost us 10IAR if that's how you're wanting to look at it.

You can 100% compare the two managers. Both had their positives and failings and the two years mentioned were the ultimate peak of both.

Yeah I remember him playing, but I don't remember the signing. On paper it looks like a massive transfer for us, but you rarely hear it spoken about the same way you do other transfers.
I think it’s because he wasn’t a roaring success for us, good reliable player. Amo was probably the one who grabbed the headlines, turned down United and had just marked R9 out of a European semi final.

Without de-railing, Murray takes the blame IMO you can’t say “here’s all this money” that you don’t actually have. Nor can you spout the nonsense of “we’re going to spend £10m on a striker”. Prior to 00/01 Dick had seldom wasted money.

Amato? 4.2m

Miko was a better player than McCann. McCann had more impact on us over time but Miko was internationally recognised as a superstar.

I wouldn't argue against that but Miko is only being mentioned here as the other poster is off on a tangent about players who aren't even in the best XIs costing certain amounts of money.

If that's the take, Murray lost the plot with Smith in the summer of 97 and it cost us 10IAR if that's how you're wanting to look at it.

You can 100% compare the two managers. Both had their positives and failings and the two years mentioned were the ultimate peak of both.

Ye he sacked him mid season. Walter was the best manager in my lifetime.

I wouldn't argue against that but Miko is only being mentioned here as the other poster is off on a tangent about players who aren't even in the best XIs costing certain amounts of money.

ok, thread all yours. Players play in a team. A bad player looks twice as good if playing beside international superstars.

Apologies. I thought it was being argued that McCann should have cost more than Miko but looks like I've picked up some of the thread wrong.

If it's a best XI taking money out the equation then I would have to say Miko would be in there. If properly utilised he could have been absolutely world class with us.

Ye he sacked him mid season. Walter was the best manager in my lifetime.

Proabably mine too (and certainly with his legacy having been secured in his second spell.

However, before that and despite NIAR, I had many issues with Walter that Advocaat "sorted" in his first couple of years notably not being embarrased in Europe routinely and actually playing good football when doing so.

Advocaat's last 18 months were a shambles but there's a lot of Walters first spell that cost us.

£4m on Rozental? £4m on Duncan Ferguson. £3m on Boli...

Sold for £3.6m?. So £600k outlay on a guy who had some good performances and was pace away from being a superstar?.

Boli, Ferguson and others. Waste of money.

You’ve highlighted one bit of business which wasn’t even poor.

Boli another big signing that never worked out.

Apologies. I thought it was being argued that McCann should have cost more than Miko but looks like I've picked up some of the thread wrong.

If it's a best XI taking money out the equation then I would have to say Miko would be in there. If properly utilised he could have been absolutely world class with us.
Another one of Smiths failings, constantly shunting people to left midfield :))

Back