SNP’s James Dornan accused of ‘making up bigotry’ after linking bus cancellations to ‘anti-Irish racism’

BlueMeanie

A NATS MSP was today accused of “making up bigotry” after linking the cancellation of bus services due to anti-social behaviour to “anti-Irish racism”.
James Dornan said the decision by Lothian Buses to suspend evening services on March 17 suggested the operator had concluded “Irish Catholics were to blame for this rise in anti-social behaviour” because it coincided with St Patrick’s Day.

He made the claim in a parly speech and later tweeted to say he’d raised “the ongoing issue of anti-Catholic bigotry and anti-Irish racism”, adding: “For far too long accepted as part of Scottish life. Things are changing but we still have a fair way to go to sort this out.”
But Mr Dornan, SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, was slapped down by opposition politicians, who insisted buses were axed because of “straightforward vandalism” after vehicles were pelted with bricks and drivers abused by yobs in some parts of Edinburgh - and not because of a “sectarian slight”.
Ian Murray, Labour MP for Edinburgh South, said: “A Glasgow MSP making up bigotry about Edinburgh. What a fool. For the record, it was because bricks were being thrown through bus windows endangering lives.”

Alex Cole-Hamilton, Lib Dem MSP for Edinburgh Western, said: “I’ve clashed with (James Dornan) before, but this is utterly contemptible.
“Lothian drivers had suffered nights of abuse and physical assault via stoning before the company suspended services. This was not some sectarian slight.
“He should apologise to Lothian and to parliament.”
And Neil Findlay, former Labour MSP for the Lothian region, said: “When the situation emerged I contacted Unite Scotland to find out what was going on with attacks on their members and urged government to help resolve the situation.
“At no time was sectarianism mentioned - it was straightforward vandalism.”
Lothian Buses announced it was cancelling all services after 7.30pm on the night of March 17 across Edinburgh and the Lothians to ensure customer and driver safety following a spate of attacks.
And in April it confirmed some of its services would be diverted away from particular routes.

Police have since charged 38 children and young people during an operation targeting antisocial behaviour and violence towards Lothian Buses drivers.
During a Scottish Government justice debate at Holyrood Thursday, Mr Dornan pointed to March 17 being St Patrick’s Day and said he could “only assume” Lothian Buses had concluded “Irish Catholics were to blame for this rise in anti-social behaviour”.
He added: “Why else cancel buses only for the night of a ubiquitous Irish Catholic holiday when pubs were not open and it was a stay at home order in place.
“Can you imagine if this had happened roundabout July 12 or if it had about roundabout a Muslim festival, or a Sikh festival. It just is not acceptable.”

In response, top lawyer Roddy Dunlop QC, Dean of the Faculty of Advocates, said: “As a Glaswegian who now lives in Edinburgh, this vacuous nonsense for an elected MSP is utterly bizarre.
“People in Edinburgh saw the damage caused to buses by bored/disaffected youths throwing bricks.
“Nothing to do with St Patrick’s Day, or religion in any form. Just safety.”

A NATS MSP was today accused of “making up bigotry” after linking the cancellation of bus services due to anti-social behaviour to “anti-Irish racism”.
James Dornan said the decision by Lothian Buses to suspend evening services on March 17 suggested the operator had concluded “Irish Catholics were to blame for this rise in anti-social behaviour” because it coincided with St Patrick’s Day.

He made the claim in a parly speech and later tweeted to say he’d raised “the ongoing issue of anti-Catholic bigotry and anti-Irish racism”, adding: “For far too long accepted as part of Scottish life. Things are changing but we still have a fair way to go to sort this out.”
But Mr Dornan, SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, was slapped down by opposition politicians, who insisted buses were axed because of “straightforward vandalism” after vehicles were pelted with bricks and drivers abused by yobs in some parts of Edinburgh - and not because of a “sectarian slight”.
Ian Murray, Labour MP for Edinburgh South, said: “A Glasgow MSP making up bigotry about Edinburgh. What a fool. For the record, it was because bricks were being thrown through bus windows endangering lives.”

Alex Cole-Hamilton, Lib Dem MSP for Edinburgh Western, said: “I’ve clashed with (James Dornan) before, but this is utterly contemptible.
“Lothian drivers had suffered nights of abuse and physical assault via stoning before the company suspended services. This was not some sectarian slight.
“He should apologise to Lothian and to parliament.”
And Neil Findlay, former Labour MSP for the Lothian region, said: “When the situation emerged I contacted Unite Scotland to find out what was going on with attacks on their members and urged government to help resolve the situation.
“At no time was sectarianism mentioned - it was straightforward vandalism.”
Lothian Buses announced it was cancelling all services after 7.30pm on the night of March 17 across Edinburgh and the Lothians to ensure customer and driver safety following a spate of attacks.
And in April it confirmed some of its services would be diverted away from particular routes.

Police have since charged 38 children and young people during an operation targeting antisocial behaviour and violence towards Lothian Buses drivers.
During a Scottish Government justice debate at Holyrood Thursday, Mr Dornan pointed to March 17 being St Patrick’s Day and said he could “only assume” Lothian Buses had concluded “Irish Catholics were to blame for this rise in anti-social behaviour”.
He added: “Why else cancel buses only for the night of a ubiquitous Irish Catholic holiday when pubs were not open and it was a stay at home order in place.
“Can you imagine if this had happened roundabout July 12 or if it had about roundabout a Muslim festival, or a Sikh festival. It just is not acceptable.”

In response, top lawyer Roddy Dunlop QC, Dean of the Faculty of Advocates, said: “As a Glaswegian who now lives in Edinburgh, this vacuous nonsense for an elected MSP is utterly bizarre.
“People in Edinburgh saw the damage caused to buses by bored/disaffected youths throwing bricks.
“Nothing to do with St Patrick’s Day, or religion in any form. Just safety.”
I complained about him, this was the response. Admitted he was wrong, but not going to do anything about him.

Thank you for your recent email in which you raise concerns about the conduct of James Dornan MSP on social media.

I do appreciate your view that Mr Dornan made a number of inappropriate comments on social media. I understand the points you make and your concern at this behaviour, but I am sorry to say that it is not a matter that the Presiding Officer is able to help you with. The responsibilities of the Presiding Officer include investigating complaints about members’ conduct in the Chamber and how members engage with their constituents, I’m afraid that individual MSPs are responsible for the content of their own Twitter accounts and therefore the Presiding Officer does not have any oversight role with this. In addition, the Code of Conduct for MSPs, which sets out the standards of behaviour which MSPs have to follow, does not extend to MSPs’ remarks on social media.

I appreciate you may be disappointed by this response, but I would suggest that writing to Mr Dornan might be the best way for you to raise your concerns directly.

Yours sincerely

FQJbV4P.gif

:mad:

Its getting very depressing living in Scotland these days. An anti British party more interested in creating something that doesn't exist rather than defending their own and and actually trying to improve our country's education, health and jobs.

Not that I've ever seen it, but if someone is anti Irish, is that not their choice? The snp are anti British. I'm anti Celtic.. it's a total absolute nonsense and dangerous that this propaganda is being constantly fed to the masses of the cult

If anyone has questioned that little bitter, bigoted liar on twitter, he’s certainly not for biting.

He should be resigning from his position with immediate effect for such flagrant abuse of his position and a blatant disregard for truth in favour of a more dangerous and dramatic rhetoric.

WTF is this 'anti-Irish racism' that the SNP keep talking about, it doesn't make sense because the Irish are not a distinct race.

The only way you can tell Irish, Scottish and English people apart is by our accents, having different accents does not make the Irish, Scottish and English different races.

Almost all Scottish people will have ancestors from Ireland in the last 2000 years, resulting from the Kingdom of Dalriada etc.

I've done ancestry DNA tests and it comes up with a large percentage Irish, even though I have no know Irish ancestors for the last few hundred years, could someone like me theoretically still be done for 'anti-Irish racism' if they can prove with a DNA test that they have Irish ancestry?

Since when did St Patrick only represent the Roman Catholic demographic of Ireland? This idea that it is only an Irish Catholic holiday is in itself bigoted.
How long before St Andrew can only be celebrated by nationalist separatists?
Going by his comments one can only assume he is a bigoted arsehole.

I complained about him, this was the response. Admitted he was wrong, but not going to do anything about him.

Thank you for your recent email in which you raise concerns about the conduct of James Dornan MSP on social media.

I do appreciate your view that Mr Dornan made a number of inappropriate comments on social media. I understand the points you make and your concern at this behaviour, but I am sorry to say that it is not a matter that the Presiding Officer is able to help you with. The responsibilities of the Presiding Officer include investigating complaints about members’ conduct in the Chamber and how members engage with their constituents, I’m afraid that individual MSPs are responsible for the content of their own Twitter accounts and therefore the Presiding Officer does not have any oversight role with this. In addition, the Code of Conduct for MSPs, which sets out the standards of behaviour which MSPs have to follow, does not extend to MSPs’ remarks on social media.

I appreciate you may be disappointed by this response, but I would suggest that writing to Mr Dornan might be the best way for you to raise your concerns directly.

Yours sincerely
I did the same and got the same response. The fact that this arsepiece gets a platform to spout his lies just about sums up the state of this country. Why no one challenged this little rant at the time must be due to parliamentary process one would hope. He used this to slip the fact that the video was fake but still put the boot in. Utterly contemptible.

Unless the bus company take legal action, nothing will happen to this cretin. That other SNP nutcase, Matheson, of the both hilarious and sinister hokey cokey sectarian fiasco, is still at Holyrood and drawing a salary.

Since when did St Patrick only represent the Roman Catholic demographic of Ireland? This idea that it is only an Irish Catholic holiday is in itself bigoted.
How long before St Andrew can only be celebrated by nationalist separatists?
Going by his comments one can only assume he is a bigoted arsehole.

St Patrick is thought to have been born in the area now know as England, it is funny when you point that out to people who thought he was Irish.

You always see woke types highlighting that St George was born in what is now modern day Turkey, they call him Turkish even though there were no Turks in Anatolia in St George's time, he was thought to have been ethnically Greek.

Last edited:
He has been briefed Nelster. Note his use of anti kafflik and anti Oirish bigotry.
He is now being specific.
Chatting to Call it Out?

He promised them that he would use they terms.

The good thing in all this is that he is being called out. He basically made up a scenario in his head and made it about religion. Because it was on a certain date it had to mean it was for a reason connected to that date. He is dangerous, but hope that he has overplayed his hand with this one.

The next time he talks about anti catholic bias, remind him of this. If he has lied about this, what else does he lie about?

On a side note, he said last night on twitter that we would be one of the richest nations to become independent, though wouldnt reply in what currency it would be!

Yours sincerely

This is why people dont bother complaining. A disgraceful reply designed to put you off.

I always thought St Patricks day was universally celebrated. Never knew the irish catholics owned the franchise. Someone better tell them to stop drinking guiness then.
Erm, no? That’s the right answer, isn’t it?

Mr Dornan knows that’s the correct answer too, but it doesn’t suit his agenda.
Scottish 'Irish Catholics' like Dornan give Irish Catholics a bad name.

But it’s an industry in Scotland and it really should be a national embarrassment that poisonous little b@stards like him are able to spout this garbage and hardly anyone questions it. Too many are afraid to challenge it and all it’s doing is building up more and more resentment and anger which won’t easily fizzle out, it fills me with dread what things are going to be like in an Independent Scotland which I think is now inevitable, it’s just a matter of time now imho.

I always thought St Patricks day was universally celebrated. Never knew the irish catholics owned the franchise. Someone better tell them to stop drinking guiness then.
That’s his point , they don’t . It is Scottish offended who are claiming it as there’s .

nut jobs

Last edited:
Scottish 'Irish Catholics' like Dornan give Irish Catholics a bad name.

They give the real Irish a bad name as well. Most of them have moved on from the Anti-English sentiment that was long associated with them.

Its the pseudo Scots-Irish that play to the galleries, by adopting an almost caricature-stereotypical view of what they envisage an Irishman to be.

Both.

And a rotten cunt.
Plus he is on to a very high wage plus expenses for telling all those lies and making up anti /Irish catholic stories . In actual fact the man is very much anti Protestant and anti Rangers and making a very nice living that most people would die for by making up all this crap . There are far more duties he could or should be attending to regarding people's welfare instead of writing made up crap to stir the shit against Protestants to make himself look important . another imposter who is nothing but a wage thief and a liar .

Back