SNP’s James Dornan accused of ‘making up bigotry’ after linking bus cancellations to ‘anti-Irish racism’

We need opposition politicians to keep on Dornan’s case by exposing his lies and religious crusade to vilify and demonise.

The fact that opposition parties and the media permitted him to champion a proscribed terrorist organisation by allowing him to pass it off as celebrating history was as indirectly complicit as it was dangerous.

This man claims to be secular and atheistic. His involvement with the Irish Voice and the people who have dominated their hustings on this promotion of anti-Irish/anti-Catholic propaganda proves that he is anything but.

The sad thing is that we appear to have no one in public life with the intellectual capacity to belittle him and effectively consign him to the margins.

The way him and his cronies keep going on about the "hatred" they and their media puppets are the ones stirring it up. The way they are going Svotland will soon be like Northern Ireland in the 80s
Unsure whether he's so stupid he doesn't realise this, or whether people like him are willing to accept this risk as a strategy to get independence (trying to polarise everyone to choose between Scotland and the UK). I'd be surprised if Sturgeon agreed with this strategy but she's certainly not clamping down on it when she keeps people like Humza Youseless in her cabinet.

Not that I want to claim him as one of us, but pretty sure St Patrick was born in Wales
He was born in Scotland In 387 to Roman parents Calpurnius and Conchessa, captured by pirates at 14, he was taken to Ireland as a sheep herder.
Nobody is actually sure where he was born. Reports suggest anywhere between Carlisle and North Wales. Some even suggest just over the border in Scotland. Basically a lot of the history relating to St Patrick is decidedly unclear and much of it invention. Depends which book/historian you choose as having the best guesswork.

This guy is dangerous! He’s the figurehead of a lot of establishment people who are using the Anti Irish / Anti Catholic bigotry line constantly just now.

Wasnt there a charity who claimed they had been lobbying to get politicians to start using this terminology as it’s more damaging than good old “sectarianism”

thisis the kind of thing that inflames tensions - inserting it where it’s not even a consideration.

Yes - Call it out (they literally exist to promote the narrative that its not sectarianism (as that could be a two way street, it's Anti Irish racism, the have worked with politicians to get the language changed to suit their agenda.

“The use of ‘sectarianism’ is a lazy use of language and I accept that, but it’s one way you can get all groups around the table to discuss the issue,” told those attending online. “I’ve spoken to the Justice Secretary about this for a number of years and he says we should be calling it out for what it is—anti-Catholic bigotry, anti-Irish racism —so I’m on board with identifying language.

The dramatic change was welcomed by Call It Out, who shared footage of Mr Yousaf discussing the issue and noted the size of the leap forward that had been taken in correctly identifying the problem and moving towards a position where effective solutions can be put in place.

“It’s hard to describe how important these words from Cabinet Secretary Humza Yousaf are,” the group said. “We have strongly campaigned for everyone to call out anti-Catholic bigotry and anti-Irish racism. Finally, there are signs that it is happening, and it’s a huge moment for our community.”

The Call it out Campaign and the Catholic Church have been keen to encourage government to move away from discussions on “sectarianism” preferring to talk about “anti-Catholicism” and “anti-Irish racism”.
Loads of examples, particularly like this one:

Fans Against Criminalisation (FAC) group who opposed the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act 2012 and were successful in their attempt to repeal the act.
Call It Out are clear that they do not believe that sectarianism is an issue in Scotland and that the issue is either anti-Irish or anti-Catholic prejudice. They believe that to name these two issues as sectarianism is to attempt to give the perception that the issue goes two ways and is a problem to
the same extent on one side as it is on the other
Remember Fans Against Criminalisation? The group of Celtic fans who realised the Offensive Behaviour at Footballl act that they craved could actually be used against them? Yeah, they are behind this and have found favour with Dornan and Yousaf.

It fucking stinks.

A NATS MSP was today accused of “making up bigotry” after linking the cancellation of bus services due to anti-social behaviour to “anti-Irish racism”.
James Dornan said the decision by Lothian Buses to suspend evening services on March 17 suggested the operator had concluded “Irish Catholics were to blame for this rise in anti-social behaviour” because it coincided with St Patrick’s Day.

He made the claim in a parly speech and later tweeted to say he’d raised “the ongoing issue of anti-Catholic bigotry and anti-Irish racism”, adding: “For far too long accepted as part of Scottish life. Things are changing but we still have a fair way to go to sort this out.”
But Mr Dornan, SNP MSP for Glasgow Cathcart, was slapped down by opposition politicians, who insisted buses were axed because of “straightforward vandalism” after vehicles were pelted with bricks and drivers abused by yobs in some parts of Edinburgh - and not because of a “sectarian slight”.
Ian Murray, Labour MP for Edinburgh South, said: “A Glasgow MSP making up bigotry about Edinburgh. What a fool. For the record, it was because bricks were being thrown through bus windows endangering lives.”

Alex Cole-Hamilton, Lib Dem MSP for Edinburgh Western, said: “I’ve clashed with (James Dornan) before, but this is utterly contemptible.
“Lothian drivers had suffered nights of abuse and physical assault via stoning before the company suspended services. This was not some sectarian slight.
“He should apologise to Lothian and to parliament.”
And Neil Findlay, former Labour MSP for the Lothian region, said: “When the situation emerged I contacted Unite Scotland to find out what was going on with attacks on their members and urged government to help resolve the situation.
“At no time was sectarianism mentioned - it was straightforward vandalism.”
Lothian Buses announced it was cancelling all services after 7.30pm on the night of March 17 across Edinburgh and the Lothians to ensure customer and driver safety following a spate of attacks.
And in April it confirmed some of its services would be diverted away from particular routes.

Police have since charged 38 children and young people during an operation targeting antisocial behaviour and violence towards Lothian Buses drivers.
During a Scottish Government justice debate at Holyrood Thursday, Mr Dornan pointed to March 17 being St Patrick’s Day and said he could “only assume” Lothian Buses had concluded “Irish Catholics were to blame for this rise in anti-social behaviour”.
He added: “Why else cancel buses only for the night of a ubiquitous Irish Catholic holiday when pubs were not open and it was a stay at home order in place.
“Can you imagine if this had happened roundabout July 12 or if it had about roundabout a Muslim festival, or a Sikh festival. It just is not acceptable.”

In response, top lawyer Roddy Dunlop QC, Dean of the Faculty of Advocates, said: “As a Glaswegian who now lives in Edinburgh, this vacuous nonsense for an elected MSP is utterly bizarre.
“People in Edinburgh saw the damage caused to buses by bored/disaffected youths throwing bricks.
“Nothing to do with St Patrick’s Day, or religion in any form. Just safety.”
Mr dornan and the rest of Erie should look into the history of "ST PATRICK"another name stolen by them!

Not that I want to claim him as one of us, but pretty sure St Patrick was born in Wales

They don't actually know for sure what part of Britain St Patrick was born and raised, it could have been Wales, England or Scotland, but it was certainly not Ireland.

Some traditions say he was born around what is now modern Ravenglass in Cumbria, which is in England.

For obvious reasons many modern historical revisionists like to downplay the fact he might have been born and raised in what is now England.

Last edited:
As someone who thankfully lives outside the central belt what an absolutely sad and depressing thread.

How did this arse ever get elected? Are politics in his area so polarised his views are popular? Stop and think about it 15 years ago someone spouting rubbish like this would be nowhere near an elected position

But the most staggering thing about this is this is the headline in this story. Not the fact we have gangs of neds attacking buses. Think about that. We have a continuous problem of groups of youngsters attacking buses and that isn’t worthy of news anymore in Scotland? Do we wait until people are killed? What are police Scotland doing?

What kind of country are we becoming? Is this the Scotland anyone wants to live in?
Sadly, not any more. I’m immensely proud of my heritage but if it wasn’t for the wife I’d be off like a shot. It’s a fucking poisonous cesspit.

Parliament Presiding Office : " I’m afraid that individual MSPs are responsible for the content of their own Twitter accounts and therefore the Presiding Officer does not have any oversight role with this. In addition, the Code of Conduct for MSPs, which sets out the standards of behaviour which MSPs have to follow, does not extend to MSPs’ remarks on social media. "

I'd suggest it's high time it did !

Parliament Presiding Office : " I’m afraid that individual MSPs are responsible for the content of their own Twitter accounts and therefore the Presiding Officer does not have any oversight role with this. In addition, the Code of Conduct for MSPs, which sets out the standards of behaviour which MSPs have to follow, does not extend to MSPs’ remarks on social media. "

I'd suggest it's high time it did !
Yep. Seen plenty folks get fired from their work for comments online so if it is legal for employers to do that our government should be held to account.

When Rangers fans called Aberdonians sheep sh*ggers etc. is that classed as anti-Aberdonian 'racism'?

Of course it shouldn't, it is inter-regional negative rhetoric, generally most Rangers fans are the same race as Aberdonians so it would be insane to class that as racism.

It is just as insane to class negative rhetoric between Glaswegians-Aberdonians and Scottish-Irish people as racism, because generally the two groups are the same race.

It would be interesting from a legal perspective if a Scottish person was charged with anti-Irish 'racism' I don't think it would stand up to legal scrutiny, because the prosecution would have to taxonomically define the biological differences between the Scottish and Irish 'races', which is impossible to do of course.

When Rangers fans called Aberdonians sheep sh*ggers etc. is that classed as anti-Aberdonian 'racism'?

Of course it shouldn't, it is inter-regional negative rhetoric, generally most Rangers fans are the same race as Aberdonians so it would be insane to class that as racism.

It is just as insane to class negative rhetoric between Glaswegians-Aberdonians and Scottish-Irish people as racism, because generally the two groups are the same race.

It would be interesting from a legal perspective if a Scottish person was charged with anti-Irish 'racism' I don't think it would stand up to legal scrutiny, because the prosecution would have to taxonomically define the biological differences between the Scottish and Irish 'races', which is impossible to do of course.
No mention of glasgow-irish, blatant anti glasgow irish catholic bigotry.

They consider him a ‘senior’ nationalist, mind blowing!

Going by his comments / behaviour and the reaction to it, it seems like he is Craig.

Hard to believe, but the reaction in relation to his TikTok doctored video & Lothian Buses seems to validate that.

On the first, you’re not actually innocent until proven guilty in Schotland & on the latter he again ignored hard evidence to create a propaganda narrative. No criticism by the SNP
hierarchy on either, in fact applauded for his lies in Holyrood, as shown on the video posted.

Going by his comments / behaviour and the reaction to it, it seems like he is Craig.

Hard to believe, but the reaction in relation to his TikTok doctored video & Lothian Buses seems to validate that.

On the first, you’re not actually innocent until proven guilty in Schotland & on the latter he again ignored hard evidence to create a propaganda narrative. No criticism by the SNP
hierarchy on either, in fact applauded for his lies in Holyrood, as shown on the video posted.

The levels of political attacks on unionists generally and the Rangers community specifically over the last year have left me stunned. I can’t get my head around how anyone other than a hardcore nationalist would vote for these fools. Granted they have some skilled politicians, but when they have the likes of Yousaf and Dornan in prominent positions, it shows they are not scared of our reactions to their drivel. Was absolutely gutted with the result of the last election.

you'd think someone in our 'free press' that instead of acting like a dictaphone would query why he would invent this, then look into his past behaviour which would highlight a very worrying trend.

you'd think someone in our 'free press' that instead of acting like a dictaphone would query why he would invent this, then look into his past behaviour which would highlight a very worrying trend.
As mentioned probably 1000 times since trophy day, I’ve yet to see any evidence of anti Irish, anti catholic behaviour from those that did go to George Square. The truth being that it doesn’t exist, certainly not on the scale they’d have you believe from reading their articles.

I complained about him, this was the response. Admitted he was wrong, but not going to do anything about him.

Thank you for your recent email in which you raise concerns about the conduct of James Dornan MSP on social media.

I do appreciate your view that Mr Dornan made a number of inappropriate comments on social media. I understand the points you make and your concern at this behaviour, but I am sorry to say that it is not a matter that the Presiding Officer is able to help you with. The responsibilities of the Presiding Officer include investigating complaints about members’ conduct in the Chamber and how members engage with their constituents, I’m afraid that individual MSPs are responsible for the content of their own Twitter accounts and therefore the Presiding Officer does not have any oversight role with this. In addition, the Code of Conduct for MSPs, which sets out the standards of behaviour which MSPs have to follow, does not extend to MSPs’ remarks on social media.

I appreciate you may be disappointed by this response, but I would suggest that writing to Mr Dornan might be the best way for you to raise your concerns directly.

Yours sincerely
Well done mate,we need to be more proactive like you have been.

We need opposition politicians to keep on Dornan’s case by exposing his lies and religious crusade to vilify and demonise.

The fact that opposition parties and the media permitted him to champion a proscribed terrorist organisation by allowing him to pass it off as celebrating history was as indirectly complicit as it was dangerous.

This man claims to be secular and atheistic. His involvement with the Irish Voice and the people who have dominated their hustings on this promotion of anti-Irish/anti-Catholic propaganda proves that he is anything but.

The sad thing is that we appear to have no one in public life with the intellectual capacity to belittle him and effectively consign him to the margins.
Your right and it's great that some MPs have exposed this nonsense but it is also up to every single one of us to stand up when these people spout their lies.

The levels of political attacks on unionists generally and the Rangers community specifically over the last year have left me stunned. I can’t get my head around how anyone other than a hardcore nationalist would vote for these fools. Granted they have some skilled politicians, but when they have the likes of Yousaf and Dornan in prominent positions, it shows they are not scared of our reactions to their drivel. Was absolutely gutted with the result of the last election.

100% with you mate.

Totally agree Ubik.

The evidence is all there for anyone who wants to show objectivity.

Really worrying trend in the last decade, as very few seem willing to stand up for simple morality & justice in Scotland.

I should say, at least Tom Devine released that article a couple of weeks ago to contradict their claims and given his history, that really should have sent a very strong message to Scotland’s journalists.

Even if there was hate, people like Dornan don’t care. The only thing he cares about is his agenda. And his agenda is turning hate on a group of people he himself hates. This government doesn’t care about hate and violence, they only want to ensure it goes the way they want it to go. The nationalists used the violent groups in Germany for their own ends by giving them a purpose and turning turning them into Brown Shirts. What we’re seeing is exactly the same. A large number of their voters are too thick to see it so just vote with their pals or for the cool thing of the time. The really dangerous ones are the ones who do see it but are happy to ignore any warnings from history and push us down this road anyway. The politicians they’re voting in are in a position they should never get to and due to this are getting stupidly drunk on the power. They don’t have the political nous or common sense to look through sober eyes.

Totally agree Ubik.

The evidence is all there for anyone who wants to show objectivity.

Really worrying trend in the last decade, as very few seem willing to stand up for simple morality & justice in Scotland.

I should say, at least Tom Devine released that article a couple of weeks ago to contradict their claims and given his history, that really should have sent a very strong message to Scotland’s journalists.

Only an utter moron would blindly cast accusations of sectarianism without any proof, G. Lothian Buses can't let this slander and defamation against their company just fade away. They should be pursuing this runt.

The demographics of American Irish people show that there are more Protestant American Irish than Catholic. This does not help with the story spun by Dornan et al. They prefer to see St Patrick’s as a Catholic celebration which is, of course, absolute nonsense.

About half of the 40 million Irish Americans are Protestant according to the General Social Survey (GSS), a national survey that collects data on demographics and attitudes, while only one third are Catholic. The rest did not answer or claimed no religion.22 Mar 2014

A lot of it is pure 100% Ignorance.

St Patricks day there used to be uplifting furor of excitement, claiming guiness to be the be all and end all in irishness. Then it gets pointed out Athur Guiness was a good old protestant which burst a helluva lot of ego's.

The same with the snp, years ago Salmond would promote Robert Burns as true symbol of scottishness and one to look up to. Lo and behold it gets pointed out oor Robert was pro-union.

Nowadays St Patricks day and Burns Night has seen the hype of Guiness and Master Robert well toned down compared to years ago.

Surely by know we should be going down the road and turning the tables on this idiot and other like him and saying what they all are.....Racists! Racists! Racists!
Is that not what he and others are trying too do?

Note: You don't seem to hear so much know of the hate filled rhetoric from the SNP supporters about the English now that racism is a criminal act?

I do suppose the SNP have little splinter caves spread about Scotland we're they gather too blasphemous the English and watch their hero Mel Gibson acting and rewriting parts of Scottish history in Braveheart to the background of the Corries singing flower of Scotland.
They probably finish their gatherings by watching re'runs of the back and white minstrels because they are so f@cked up???

This is just an example of how the SNP seem to be trying to stoke up imaginary bigotry for political purposes.

It seems like they are trying to create the illusion of systemic anti-Catholic anti-Irish discrimination to try and stir-up support from those communities.

People from an Irish Catholic background are being fed lies about discrimination that there is hardly any evidence for or is being grossly exaggerated so that that the SNP can look like the heroes who are fighting their corner for them.

They might be fighting their corner for them, but they are shadow boxing against bigotry that is a largely a figment of their imagination, so much so that they have to manufacture it as shown in this Lothian bus scenario.

Last edited:
A lot of it is pure 100% Ignorance.

St Patricks day there used to be uplifting furor of excitement, claiming guiness to be the be all and end all in irishness. Then it gets pointed out Athur Guiness was a good old protestant which burst a helluva lot of ego's.

The same with the snp, years ago Salmond would promote Robert Burns as true symbol of scottishness and one to look up to. Lo and behold it gets pointed out oor Robert was pro-union.

Nowadays St Patricks day and Burns Night has seen the hype of Guiness and Master Robert well toned down compared to years ago.
Guinness originally sold as “Finest Protestant Porter” - if they knew their History.

A poster from here has stated the Dornan is very friendly with a current Rangers board member.
Strange choice of friends.

Our sinn fein/ snp government are English hating racists. I actually had some posters on here trying to deny this a few days ago. No wonder they keep winning elections.

Like you, I was sadly disappointed that Dornan was returned but not really all that surprised.

The fact that he was, underlines levels of voter apathy and general ignorance. When I say that, I’m not having a go at the average man or woman in the street per se. Political parties and their strategists know full well that there are members of the electorate who exercise their franchise largely along ideological lines and seldom hold errant members of parliaments to account.

Obviously some have a list of misdemeanours allied to a public profile whereby they inescapably draw attention to themselves and pay the price, but others like Dornan seem to lead a charmed existence and apparently don’t incur voter wrath for their supposedly accountable actions.

Dornan has a list of previous which leaves me quite dismayed at the residents of Glasgow Cathcart. His obfuscation of the transgender issue with regard to women’s rights has been particularly problematic. I wonder how many females would have knowingly voted for him if they were fully aware of his arrogant, inane ramblings on the subject.

Only an utter moron would blindly cast accusations of sectarianism without any proof, G. Lothian Buses can't let this slander and defamation against their company just fade away. They should be pursuing this runt.

Absolutely with you S. An embarrassment & a disgrace to a once proud country.

It irritates me so much the scheisse they come out with & are unchallenged on mate.

More you pursue him the more Oxygen you give his odious views. Even if you win in court it will be reported by Scottish media as a victory.

Sad country we now live in.

Back