SNP Medical Advisor performs a U-Turn, as Lawwell calls for test friendlies with crowds present

The virus hasn't gone away. It is still out there. We simply should not forget that.

Lives before economics has to be the way forward....regardless of the commercial need.

My wife flew Aberdeen to Kirkwall (had been at a hospital appt) a few weeks ago. Social distancing and masks at the airports both ends but every man and woman for themselves inside the plane. We ended up volunteering 14 days isolation to make sure she hadn't brought anything back. Seems the likes of Lawell are saying 'if the planes can do why not us ?'.

Slippery slope to more infections/deaths and return of lockdown.

Patience please.

We couldn’t finish 8/9 games behind closed doors and shut our league down just a few weeks ago to make them champions but now we can play in front of crowds.

So let me get this right.

We're saying that Peter Lawwell is now influencing the Government Chief Medical Officer's decisions in the middle of a global pandemic?

That's what we're going with, aye?
The paranoia on here at times is crazy. I await the usual.

Surprise, surprise, the Natz changing their tune for Lawwell. What will be the next big surprise, Dundee providing the opposition?

Peter Lawwell has called on the Scottish government to let fans back into football before the national game ends up in intensive care.

The Celtic chief confirmed Record Sport’s exclusives revealing how his club has joined forces with SRU bosses to set out an a plan which will allow the padlocks to come off at Parkhead and BT Murrayfield.

Lawwell revealed he hopes to run the first ‘test event’ before the end of this month and ahead of the SPFL’s big kick-off on August 1 in a bid to prove the new campaign doesn’t need to be played behind closed doors.

Yesterday we revealed SRU chief operating officer Dominic McKay has been given a tentative green light from Holyrood to put on a trial run in front of around 1000 fans at Murrayfield on August 22, when the Pro-14 will restart with Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh clashing.

With fans returning to stadia all over Europe, Celtic hope to be given similar dispensation from parliament in a bid to prove supporters can be kept socially distanced and in a secure environment.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport Lawwell said: “Nearly half of the nations in Europe are back playing with crowds so it’s a much more positive situation than it was just three or four weeks ago.

“We’re now seeing grounds in Denmark operating at 50 per cent capacity, Finland are up at 50 per cent and Holland hope to start on the first of September with 25 per cent. On the same day Denmark hope to get up to 100 per cent.

“These are all great signs of the progress being made around Europe and, here in Scotland, we have been working with the SRU to show that we can do something similar.

“We thank them for their help and we are working towards hosting a test event in a pre-season friendly towards the end of July. We hope we can work in collaboration with the SRU and the Government to get it up and running.”

Cash-strapped clubs who feared they may have to play on for months behind closed doors will be paying keen interest to Celtic’s proposals.

As we revealed yesterday, Lawwell has not ruled out the hope that some Celtic fans could be inside the ground to see the unfurling of a ninth successive Premiership title flag on the new season’s opening weekend.

When asked if this was a realistic target he said: “I don’t think it’s impossible, definitely not. We’ll certainly be ready for it.

“Matchday revenue is absolutely vital for Scottish clubs due to the levels of our broadcast deals.

“It’s our main income, therefore if we don’t get crowds back as soon as possible then the effects of this pandemic will be even more strongly felt than they already have been.”

In a bizarre twist, government medical adviser Professor Jason Leitch performed something of a U-turn last night, although did leave the door ajar.

He said: “I think we’re saying pretty much no chance of crowds in August. I can’t imagine physically crowds in August or September but I might be wrong. With a fair wind we could get there.

“We might run test events in that two-month period, maybe a big match with a small test crowd.

“Either rugby or football or both. Then into autumn and winter we may be able to get back to physically-distanced crowds.”

Copy and pasted, as it's a Keech Jackson/Daily Record article. Don't give them the hits.

Jason Leitch s voice does my nut in as does his arrogant predecessor.

They have a £60million Annual Wage bill, they still owe the Co-op money and there is an almighty shit storm coming their way re CSA cases and potential payouts into the dozens upon dozens of millions.

Add into it Covid19.

Dont let the Masters of Dark Arts kid you on.

They are fcking skint and practically BEGGING people to buy ST's.

Trying everything he can so the first old firm game isnt played behind closed doors, even puttin his own fans at risk, the man is a scumbag

So let me get this right.

We're saying that Peter Lawwell is now influencing the Government Chief Medical Officer's decisions in the middle of a global pandemic?

That's what we're going with, aye?

You bet it is.

Two weeks ago he said there was no chance of crowds returning to watch football before October.

Last week he had a meeting with Lawwell & Doncaster.

Yesterday he says “I think we’re saying pretty much no chance of crowds in August. I can’t imagine physically crowds in August or September but I might be wrong. With a fair wind we could get there. We might run test events in that two-month period, maybe a big match with a small test crowd."

That's quite a u-turn. Do you really think that Doncaster & Lawwell did not influence him and by coincidence a couple of days later he just decided to change his mind all by himself?

Afraid I don't believe in such coincidences.

Surprise, surprise, the Natz changing their tune for Lawwell. What will be the next big surprise, Dundee providing the opposition?

Peter Lawwell has called on the Scottish government to let fans back into football before the national game ends up in intensive care.

The Celtic chief confirmed Record Sport’s exclusives revealing how his club has joined forces with SRU bosses to set out an a plan which will allow the padlocks to come off at Parkhead and BT Murrayfield.

Lawwell revealed he hopes to run the first ‘test event’ before the end of this month and ahead of the SPFL’s big kick-off on August 1 in a bid to prove the new campaign doesn’t need to be played behind closed doors.

Yesterday we revealed SRU chief operating officer Dominic McKay has been given a tentative green light from Holyrood to put on a trial run in front of around 1000 fans at Murrayfield on August 22, when the Pro-14 will restart with Glasgow Warriors and Edinburgh clashing.

With fans returning to stadia all over Europe, Celtic hope to be given similar dispensation from parliament in a bid to prove supporters can be kept socially distanced and in a secure environment.

Speaking exclusively to Record Sport Lawwell said: “Nearly half of the nations in Europe are back playing with crowds so it’s a much more positive situation than it was just three or four weeks ago.

“We’re now seeing grounds in Denmark operating at 50 per cent capacity, Finland are up at 50 per cent and Holland hope to start on the first of September with 25 per cent. On the same day Denmark hope to get up to 100 per cent.

“These are all great signs of the progress being made around Europe and, here in Scotland, we have been working with the SRU to show that we can do something similar.

“We thank them for their help and we are working towards hosting a test event in a pre-season friendly towards the end of July. We hope we can work in collaboration with the SRU and the Government to get it up and running.”

Cash-strapped clubs who feared they may have to play on for months behind closed doors will be paying keen interest to Celtic’s proposals.

As we revealed yesterday, Lawwell has not ruled out the hope that some Celtic fans could be inside the ground to see the unfurling of a ninth successive Premiership title flag on the new season’s opening weekend.

When asked if this was a realistic target he said: “I don’t think it’s impossible, definitely not. We’ll certainly be ready for it.

“Matchday revenue is absolutely vital for Scottish clubs due to the levels of our broadcast deals.

“It’s our main income, therefore if we don’t get crowds back as soon as possible then the effects of this pandemic will be even more strongly felt than they already have been.”

In a bizarre twist, government medical adviser Professor Jason Leitch performed something of a U-turn last night, although did leave the door ajar.

He said: “I think we’re saying pretty much no chance of crowds in August. I can’t imagine physically crowds in August or September but I might be wrong. With a fair wind we could get there.

“We might run test events in that two-month period, maybe a big match with a small test crowd.

“Either rugby or football or both. Then into autumn and winter we may be able to get back to physically-distanced crowds.”

Copy and pasted, as it's a Keech Jackson/Daily Record article. Don't give them the hits.

Hey Liewell.
Most countries returned to play football,and finish the season legitimately,fancy trying it????
Maw u shat it,and took an award ya cretin.

I think that the mentally challengeds are really struggling on season ticket sales.

Their fans know that with only 800 Rangers fans at old firm games they can easily pick up tickets for that game now and don't need a season ticket to secure a seat for game.

There uptake has been slow apparently hence why the record spinning crowds be back in August flag days etc is all designed to try punt season books.

Also good chance they wont get to go to 1 of their 2 home OF games.

Would Oriental Pete therefore agree that the season could have been finished and he is in fact a duplicitous b*****d?

Their fans have deserted them in droves because they can’t guarantee they’ll get into the stad du gad anytime soon.

They’ve extended their season ticket sale numerous times already and the need a big worm to hook the punters back in, being the ‘test bed’ for fans at football again is the only way they can do this.

This - plus from my experience the less twisted of their support are starting to see the way they have handled the CBC scandal and question it - they don't want their club to be court ordered to do what is clearly the right thing

The influence this twat has is incredible, its no use denying it, his web of corruption is wide spread, and he usually gets what he wants.

F
They may not have been skint last year but they sure are now. A lot can change in 12 months and Covid has rocked their boat more than it has ours.

If rumours are to be believed they’ve sold an Aberdeen level of season tickets (5,000) with a Champions League level of payroll (£60m). Whereas we’re going to sell out again.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them enter administration soon. They’re done for.
Fingers crossed !

Do not let this mob tell you differently but they are Desperate for cash now.

Their arses are twitching faster than a Rabbit's nose.

And that's just with the chances of BCD without adding in lack of STs sold and the Dam that's about to open wide on them re CSA.

Hell Fire is about to fall on this shower.

I pray this is all true.

Now he cares what the rest of Europe are doing? When it suits him?

How about we finish the league then like a hell of a lot more than 50% are doing then? Nah didnt think so sh!tebag.

I would be surprised if the Scottish government relaxed the social gathering/distancing. These outbreaks in Dumfries, Leicester and Melbourne where fans are getting back in to RL. If nippy has done anything right, it’s retaining the two metres.
this COVID is a fecking killer and shouldn’t be taken lightly for a game of fitba.

So it's suddenly safe to allow fans in, but it wasn't safe to play out the season behind closed doors! Shocking double standards, but is anyone even surprised anymore?

You think Professor Jason Leitch is taking instruction on public health from Peter Lawwell?

What an absolute moonfruit

Back