So, after the Winter Break, what’s your starting line up and formation?

theperoniloyal

Timplosion Tsar
Absolutely delighted with the signings so far, sat and tried to work out what our strongest team would be and I’m struggling to make room for some of our higher profile players.

How would you go?

I’d play a 4-2-3-1.

Foderingham

John
Wilson
Alves
Tav

Jack
McCrorrie

Murphy
Windass
Candeias

Morelos

No room for Cummings at the moment.

I love McCrorie but at this moment I feel he doesnt need to start every game. Would probably have Goss in there instead for his passing ability, especially against smaller teams. Dont need two destroyers in midfield on the spfl, just one and a baller works better.

I love McCrorie but at this moment I feel he doesnt need to start every game. Would probably have Goss in there instead for his passing ability, especially against smaller teams. Dont need two destroyers in midfield on the spfl, just one and a baller works better.

I appreciate that it's all about opinions but McCrorie for me is the first name on the sheet in the middle of the park

Foderingham

Tav McCrorie Martin John

Jack Docherty

Murphy Windass Candeias

Morelos (Cummings on after 60 mins to give Morelos some respite)

Are you mad ???? you want Goss in there instead of McCrorie ??? On what basis would you play Goss ???

McCrorie will go back to cb, goss will play there with jack i think unless we get docherty, murphy windass and candeias with Morelos, i would love to see Cummings and Morelos play but cant see Murty lining up that way until we need to chase a goal.

mccrorie and goss as the 2 would be fantastic also

Last edited:
I enjoy how difficult this is now.

I do see us playing 4-2-3-1.

Foderingham
Tav Martin Wilson John
Jack McCrorie
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos

You forget we still have Dorrans to come back.

Then the likes of Wallace, Miller, Cummings, Alves (if he stays), Holt, Kranjcar, O’Halloran, Halliday, Herrera, Goss, Bates, Rossiter, Dodoo etc etc in reserve. With possibly Docherty & Jones to add.

Options.

I think I'll wait till after the window to see who is in/out. We have more flexibility so the team will reflect the opposition. A game v Thistle at Ibrox is different to an away fixture at Pittodrie.

4-1-3-2 at most games. Start putting all the diddy teams to the sword again like we used to. Stop giving them so much respect and take the game to them.

Foderingham
Tavernier Martin Wilson John
Jack
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos Cummings

4-1-3-2 at most games. Start putting all the diddy teams to the sword again like we used to. Stop giving them so much respect and take the game to them.

Foderingham
Tavernier Martin Wilson John
Jack
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos Cummings

that certainly is attacking :p

A 4 4 2.
Wes
Tav alves Wilson Wallace
Candieas mcrorie jack Murphy
Morelos Cummings

Sub's
Windass
Goss
Dorrans
Halliday
Herrera
Bates
Cardoso
Alnwick

When is Dorrans back?

Such choices is a good problem to have I’d say.
Based on his performances prior to his injury GD is going to have to up his game considerably to get in the team .... that's the beauty of a strong squad .... great having players looking over their shoulders worried about their place in the team.

A quality right back to challenge Tav and we will have competition all over the park at last

Are you mad ???? you want Goss in there instead of McCrorie ??? On what basis would you play Goss ???

On the basis that his two performances have shown that he has a bigger and better passing range than any other midfielder we have. That he has a brilliant delivery from free kicks. Also on the Murty interview when he signed explaining he was bought in order to allow us to start controlling games in midfield again as we havent been managing that.

Like I said Jack and McCrorie are both similar and its hard to pick between them but especially at home I feel we only need one.

In tougher games I wouldn't be surprised to see a midfield three of McCrorie,Jack and Goss with Dorrans and Docherty possibly to come in as well should all go well.Other games 4-2-3-1 maybe against lesser opposition.
As mentioned by other posters,now looking like some strong options.

I'm really struggling to keep to 11... everytime I try and write out a formation with players there are 1 or 2 I'm surprised aren't in it!
If we have a strike force pair of Morelos and Cummings I can't see a place for Windass, but at the moment he is one of my first picks in the middle off the striker.
I like the look of having 2 wingers in Murphy and Candeias but that leaves us light in the middle 2.
I like the look of a back 3, but wouldn't want to drop Tav which means Candeais doesn't get in.
Its a lovely problem to be having though!

Impossible to say...depends on opponents, home/away etc. If he sticks with 4-3-3 I guess it will be:

______________Wes

Tav___McCrorie___Wilson___Wallace

____Jack___Dorrans___Holt

___Candieas____Morelos___Murphy

I'm really struggling to keep to 11... everytime I try and write out a formation with players there are 1 or 2 I'm surprised aren't in it!
If we have a strike force pair of Morelos and Cummings I can't see a place for Windass, but at the moment he is one of my first picks in the middle off the striker.
I like the look of having 2 wingers in Murphy and Candeias but that leaves us light in the middle 2.
I like the look of a back 3, but wouldn't want to drop Tav which means Candeais doesn't get in.
Its a lovely problem to be having though!

I'm the same mate. I think Morelos and Cummings up top with Candeias, Windass and Murphy behind them would be a lethal attacking line up. I'd be tempted to push McCrorie back to centre half to free up a midfield spot for Docherty to play beside Ryan Jack.

For the first time in a long time we finally have options.

As Alves, Wallace, Jack, McCrorie and Dorrans are all still injured......

Wes

Tav Martin Wilson John

Goss

Holt or Halliday

Candeias Windass Murphy

Morelos

Based on who will be fit and match ready:

______________Wes

Tav___McCrorie___Wilson___John

______Holt___Jack_____Goss

Impossible to say...depends on opponents, home/away etc. If he sticks with 4-3-3 I guess it will be:

______________Wes

Tav___McCrorie___Wilson___Wallace

____Jack___Dorrans___Holt

You would play Holt ahead of Goss ? if Goss keeps playing like he has been ?

Due to the fact Goss is a loanee I cant see him being a starter .. For me strongest team straight after Winter (assuming we get Docherty)

Wes
Tav Martin Alves John
Jack McCrorrie
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos

Docherty and Cummings swapping most games for McCrorrie and Morelos .. but that was a headache choosing that. Nice to have some depth for once.

________________Wes

__Tav____Martin___Wilson___John

________McCrorie_____Goss

Candeias______Windass______Murphy

________________Morelos

Martin for Alves, we need a settled centre back pairing which isn't going to happen with Alves constantly injured.

I'd try Goss over Jack. With McCrorie the ball winner I feel we need someone in there to dominate the football, early days but Goss looks great on the ball.

Bit of a dilemma with Morelos & Cummings, maybe go 2 up front against the lesser teams.

For me mccorie is first name on the team sheet as holding midfielder

The boy is outstanding he needs to be played to continue development

Jack and Goss would likely play in the big games alongside him

Windass deserves to retain his place as does Morelos

Candeias and Murphy will probably get the nod fir the wide positions

Holt dorrans will likely miss out unless there are injuries

Cummings might play in a 4-4-2 when we are at home or replace Morelos in the big games

Due to the fact Goss is a loanee I cant see him being a starter .. For me strongest team straight after Winter (assuming we get Docherty)

Wes
Tav Martin Alves John
Jack McCrorrie
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos

Docherty and Cummings swapping most games for McCrorrie and Morelos .. but that was a headache choosing that. Nice to have some depth for once.

Its great to have depth, i cant see us saying to Goss come up here and sit on the bench, we all saw his quality and if he plays like that he cant be dropped no matter if he is a loan signing or not, obvs still a way to go before we know how he will adapt but the early signs are very good indeed.

I know im coming across as having a hardon for Goss but i just think he is going to be huge for us the next few months, if i am wrong ill take the flack.

Wes
Tav Martin Alves John
Jack McCrorrie
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos

Irrespective of whether he's a loanee or not, if Goss is seen as the best player for the position, and he may well be, then he will start.

Murty is trying to secure the job full time and will play his strongest possible team.

Also remember we haven't played 4-2-3-1 yet, not even in Florida friendlies.

I am not so sure we will move straight to it. We shall see.

Also don't forget Docherty if he signs - he could be in before Goss or Holt. :)

Irrespective of whether he's a loanee or not, if Goss is seen as the best player for the position, and he may well be, then he will start.

Murty is trying to secure the job full time and will play his strongest possible team.
Good point, would you have him in ahead of McCrorie or jack though? not sure I would .. although perhaps too early to judge. He looked good in the friendlies but certainly won't have that time against Aberdeen.

Good point, would you have him in ahead of McCrorie or jack though? not sure I would .. although perhaps too early to judge. He looked good in the friendlies but certainly won't have that time against Aberdeen.

Jack and McCrorie are both still injured mate, so he may be our only option at DM.

The beauty of having squad depth for once.

This isn't easy..... Especially trying to get a permutation of midfield options that I don't keep changing my mind about.
Basically the only thing I want as a cast iron inclusion is Morelos and Cummings as a striking partnership.

Pretty sure we did in both games.

I thought we played 4-1-1-3-1 in Florida Earl.

Would you agree?

If/when all fit: (but there are other permutations obviously)

Have to play Cummings and Morelos up top IMO. Would be madness not to in this pishy wee league.

Fod

Tav
Alves
Cardoso
John

Candeias
Goss
Jack
Muprhy

Morelos
Cummings

If/when all fit: (but there are other permutations obviously)

Have to play Cummings and Morelos up top IMO. Would be madness not to in this pishy wee league.

Fod

Tav
Alves
Cardoso
John

Candeias
Goss
Jack
Muprhy

Morelos
Cummings

I would love to see them both play, if we can start blowing teams away we wont have to worry so much about playing 3 in the middle of the park but as yet we are still trying to get to that point where we are doing that.

Its good we have options now, quite a lot of options.

I thought we played 4-1-1-3-1 in Florida Earl.

Would you agree?

Not sure...only saw the goals! Brief reports mentioned it was similar shape to usual...might have got that wrong. Maybe it was 4-2-3-1...we shall see in S Cup game. Probably makes sense although Murty was getting somewhere with the 4-3-3.

At home against the diddy teams i'd go 442 with Cummings and Morelos up top, harder games one drops out and back to 4231 with Windass playing off the striker.

Not sure...only saw the goals! Brief reports mentioned it was similar shape to usual...might have got that wrong. Maybe it was 4-2-3-1...we shall see in S Cup game. Probably makes sense although Murty was getting somewhere with the 4-3-3.

When we at our best Goss sat deepest with Halliday in front of him, then the 2 wide players and the attacking mid as a 3 behind Morelos.

We created a lot of chances and there was plenty movement.
All very encouraging.

I would love to see them both play, if we can start blowing teams away we wont have to worry so much about playing 3 in the middle of the park but as yet we are still trying to get to that point where we are doing that.

Its good we have options now, quite a lot of options.
I really hope they both play mate. We need to start testing defences properly and be more aggressive and ruthless in the final third - that's where our problem lie.

We're not perfect defensively, but the real issue we have is in the final third and putting teams away. Defenders in this league will have nightmares having to face both Morelos and Cummings, instead of the usual isolated Morelos having to take on 2 or 3 defenders on his own and feeding off scraps.

And to be honest I don't think Cummings (quite rightly) would have agreed to come to Rangers if he was just to sit on the bench. I've a feeling he'll play.

With McCrorie and jack and Dorrans out injured I won’t include them.
However I will include Docherty as he is the main player I want signed :)

Wes

Tav
John
Martin
Wilson

Goss

Docherty
Halliday
Murphy

Morelos
Cummings

I don’t think we should play two wide players esp against the lower level teams or our midfield gets over run.

I am 99% certain Jack and Dorrans will play when fit...and Candieas and Murphy bound to be left and right....leaves one place which most assume will be Windass.

Back