So, after the Winter Break, what’s your starting line up and formation?

Foderingham

Tav Martin Wilson John

McCrorie

Jack Murphy

Windass

Morelos Cummings

Can understand the arguments of playing one less striker for an extra midfielder but I'd love to see those front three tear it up.

4-1-3-2 at most games. Start putting all the diddy teams to the sword again like we used to. Stop giving them so much respect and take the game to them.

Foderingham
Tavernier Martin Wilson John
Jack
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos Cummings

Good old tried, tested and trusted 4-1-5 formation.

Can't see what could possibly go wrong!

I am 99% certain Jack and Dorrans will play when fit...and Candieas and Murphy bound to be left and right....leaves one place which most assume will be Windass.

If we sign Docherty I think he will be our best midfielder. I rate him higher than both Jack and Dorrans.
I don’t think we should play two wide players and of those we have I would play Murphy. I think him and Windass will be fighting for the same jersey.
When fit Jack in for Halliday in my team.
McCrorie when fit could take either Wilson or Goss’s place in the team.

Jaws II

Murphy is - at least on paper - MUCH better than Windass. That's a non contest imho. Very excited re Murphy. What makes you think our 4-2-3-1 wouldn't have 'wider' types either side of the #10?

In games where we can attack a bit more:

Morellos Cummings

Windass
Murphy Candeias

Wallace McCrorie Tavernier

Wilson Alves

Foderingham

Or for fixtures where we need to go more defensive:

Morellos

Murphy Candeias

Jack Holt

Wallace McCrorie Tavernier

Wilson Alves

Foderingham

A lot more options from the bench too (we could do with 'shedding' a few I think):

• Alnwick/ Kelly
  • Dorrans
  • John
  • Halliday
  • O’Halloran
  • Martin
  • Cardoso
  • Bates
  • Kranjcar
  • Rossiter
  • Miller
  • Herrera
  • Hodson
  • Dalcio

I think we all need to remember Goss has only played a part in 2 friendlies. I can't see him being a first pick immediately. Lets wait and see how he does in the league first.

With McCrorie and jack and Dorrans out injured I won’t include them.
However I will include Docherty as he is the main player I want signed :)

Wes

Tav
John
Martin
Wilson

Goss

Docherty
Halliday
Murphy

Morelos
Cummings

I don’t think we should play two wide players esp against the lower level teams or our midfield gets over run.

Playing 2 wide players is exactly what celtic do and gets them results nearly every week - its what we have been badly missing.

Candeias and murphy down the wing, ball into the box for morelos and cummings to put away.

Jaws II

Murphy is - at least on paper - MUCH better than Windass. That's a non contest imho. Very excited re Murphy. What makes you think our 4-2-3-1 wouldn't have 'wider' types either side of the #10?

It always leads to our midfield getting over run and caught on the break.

It can have the the two wider men but it means no defensive midfielder and I think that is a mistake for us.
If you want to play 2 attacking wide players you could play Murphy and Windass but it probably means not playing Cummings.
4132 gives you the defensive Mid, 2 midfielders a wide player who can swap wings and 2 strikers.

Playing 2 wide players is exactly what celtic do and gets them results nearly every week - its what we have been badly missing.

Candeias and murphy down the wing, ball into the box for morelos and cummings to put away.

That team would get on the counter attack as there is only 2 midfielders.
This is what the bottom 6 teams have been doing all season.
You haven’t named who the mids would be.

If we do play 2 wide players both have to offer goals and of what we have Murphy is the only one who has that in his game.
Also we would have to sacrifice a striker to make sure we have 3 in the middle.

I really hope they both play mate. We need to start testing defences properly and be more aggressive and ruthless in the final third - that's where our problem lie.

We're not perfect defensively, but the real issue we have is in the final third and putting teams away. Defenders in this league will have nightmares having to face both Morelos and Cummings, instead of the usual isolated Morelos having to take on 2 or 3 defenders on his own and feeding off scraps.

And to be honest I don't think Cummings (quite rightly) would have agreed to come to Rangers if he was just to sit on the bench. I've a feeling he'll play.

Absolutely correct that our problem is our ruthlessness (or lack of it in front of goal).

If we were ruthless in front of goal, we beat Hearts, Hamilton (everyone missed good chances), Killie (Morelos two sitters and Windass header) and the tims (Morelos sitter)

These are games that could’ve unfolded so differently had we buried our chances - and they weren’t even “half chances”!

That gives us an extra 10 pts and takes a point off the poets.

At long last it looks like we have decent options. I believe the team will evolve to blood in the new players and we may not see wholesale changes in one go. Think Martin may be the only one to walk in to the first XI.

Think the team and formation can now change depending on the opposition and also to stop us being predictable.

I know it sounds like a cop out but I would need to see the new guys in action over a period of time to see what players deserve a regular starting spot

Absolutely correct that our problem is our ruthlessness (or lack of it in front of goal).

If we were ruthless in front of goal, we beat Hearts, Hamilton (everyone missed good chances), Killie (Morelos two sitters and Windass header) and the tims (Morelos sitter)

These are games that could’ve unfolded so differently had we buried our chances - and they weren’t even “half chances”!

That gives us an extra 10 pts and takes a point off the poets.
Exactly. Defensive issues do exist, we cannot deny that, but they are a red herring in the bigger picture.

Our frustrating play when we fail to take the game by the scruff of the neck in the final third is 100% our downfall and weakness.

Missed chances, weak shots, lack of composure, fannying around, Morelos being isolated feeding off scraps - this has been THE problem and it's been like it for years.

This has to change and I feel we may be starting to finally get there.

We need confidence, aggression, ruthlessness, power, strength, composure and a bit of downright arrogance in the final third. To date we have generally failed and it has been costing us big time, as you quite rightly point out.

Exactly. Defensive issues do exist, we cannot deny that, but they are a red herring in the bigger picture.

Our frustrating play when we fail to take the game by the scruff of the neck in the final third is 100% our downfall and weakness.

Missed chances, weak shots, lack of composure, fannying around, Morelos being isolated feeding off scraps - this has been THE problem and it's been like it for years.

This has to change and I feel we may be starting to finally get there.

We need confidence, aggression, ruthlessness, power, strength, composure and a bit of downright arrogance in the final third. To date we have generally failed and it has been costing us big time, as you quite rightly point out.

You keep going on about taking chances.

Who is going to create them if you have only two in the middle?

Who is protecting defence from counter attack.

If opposition swamps midfield and wins that battle then we don’t create chances.

If you play 2 wide players it means we should have a Central striker with the other 2 on either side.
Both have to offer goals and it means one striker.

It is vital we have 3 in the middle and one a defensive midfielder.

4132 is the only option where we have a defensive Mid, 2 in the middle and 2 strikers. However you have to sacrifice a wide player.
If you want two wide players then you have to sacrifice a striker.

It wont be the same 11 every week.

"Easier" Home matches

...............Fod

Tav Martin Wilson John

...........McCrorie Jack
Candeias ................Murphy

........Morelos Cummings

For harder games bring in one of Doherty / Goss or Windass for one of the strikers and shore up the middle a bit.

You keep going on about taking chances.

Who is going to create them if you have only two in the middle?

Who is protecting defence from counter attack.

If opposition swamps midfield and wins that battle then we don’t create chances.

If you play 2 wide players it means we should have a Central striker with the other 2 on either side.
Both have to offer goals and it means one striker.

It is vital we have 3 in the middle and one a defensive midfielder.

4132 is the only option where we have a defensive Mid, 2 in the middle and 2 strikers. However you have to sacrifice a wide player.
If you want two wide players then you have to sacrifice a striker.
I still say we can have Candeais and Murphy wide, with a combination of Jack, McCrorie or Goss in the middle
something like:

...............McCrorie/Goss Jack
Candeias ............................Murphy

............Morelos Cummings

3-4-3

Foderingham

Martin McCrorie Wilson

Tavernier Jack Goss Murphy

Candeias Morelos Windass

4-2-3-1

Foderingham

Tavernier Martin Wilson John

McCrorie Jack

Candeias Windass Murphy

Morelos

Think I prefer the 4-3-2-1. Seems to suit our players better. Tried to stick with players available when the break is finished.

Also got Holt, Halliday, Cummings, Bates and potentially Docherty & Jones adding strength in depth. Youngsters have always shown ability when needed.

Wallace, Alves & Dorrans to come back from injury. Would it be too much to ask for a fit Rossiter as well?

Herrera, Peña, Krancjar and Dalcio sadly look like they don't have it to be part of any plans. I'd say the same goes for Miller.

A big Dado Prso style striker and the squad will be looking good.

My 11 if all fit

————————-Wes——————-
John————————————Tav-
————-Wilson——-Martin——-
———————-McCrorie————-
-—Murphy—-Docherty—Dorrans
————Morelos—Cummings——-

If you want two wide players I would take out Cummings and bring in Windass as I think he is a better option than Candeias.

It always leads to our midfield getting over run and caught on the break.

It can have the the two wider men but it means no defensive midfielder and I think that is a mistake for us.
If you want to play 2 attacking wide players you could play Murphy and Windass but it probably means not playing Cummings.
4132 gives you the defensive Mid, 2 midfielders a wide player who can swap wings and 2 strikers.

I agree with many of the points made here but I still believe we can play 4-4-2 especially at home.

What we need to do is move the ball quickly and effectively to the wide positions and take our chances when they come.

We are better equipped to play 4-4-2 at home now than we were at the start of the season.

As for the battle in the middle of the park. I'd back Jack and McCrorie to win any mid battle in this league and they should be pretty consistent. If the manager feels we need 3 in there he has those options.

I still say we can have Candeais and Murphy wide, with a combination of Jack, McCrorie or Goss in the middle
something like:

...............McCrorie/Goss Jack
Candeias ............................Murphy

............Morelos Cummings

Mcrorie and Jack good solid mids they aren’t the most creative though. We will have to see with Goss.

4-3-1-2 with our main width coming from Tav & John with McCrorie/Jack tucking in when Tav/John are further upfield:

Fod

Tav
Martin (all going well)
Wilson
John

McCrorie
Jack
Murphy

Windass

Morelos
Cummings

Windass playing just behind the strikers. He’s recently been great at finding space in behind defenders - reckon he’ll be a great foil for Morelos and Cummings. That front line could potentially be the most dangerous we’ve had in quite some time.

One of the best things about this window is that it’s seen us strengthen our bench tenfold. Something we’ve been lacking for ages.

I agree with many of the points made here but I still believe we can play 4-4-2 especially at home.

What we need to do is move the ball quickly and effectively to the wide positions and take our chances when they come.

We are better equipped to play 4-4-2 at home now than we were at the start of the season.

As for the battle in the middle of the park. I'd back Jack and McCrorie to win any mid battle in this league and they should be pretty consistent. If the manager feels we need 3 in there he has those options.

They will battle all right, they won’t create much though.
Play a defensive 451 on the counter attack and your 442 is fucked.

The diamond could still work.

Fod

Tav Martin Wilson John

McCrorie

Jack Goss

Windass

Morelos Cummings

Am I right in saying Murphy could be an option as a striker next to Morelos too? Wasnt he a striker for motherwell?

4-3-1-2 with our main width coming from Tav & John with McCrorie/Jack tucking in when Tav/John are further upfield:

Fod

Tav
Martin (all going well)
Wilson
John

McCrorie
Jack
Murphy

Windass

Morelos
Cummings

Windass playing just behind the strikers. He’s recently been great at finding space in behind defenders - reckon he’ll be a great foil for Morelos and Cummings. That front line could potentially be the most dangerous we’ve had in quite some time.

One of the best things about this window is that it’s seen us strengthen our bench tenfold. Something we’ve been lacking for ages.

Murphy is a winger not a midfielder though.
I think you play Murphy and Windass either side of lone striker or one has to drop out for a 2nd striker.
If you want the 2 strikers then I would play Docherty in front of Windass and let Murphy play on either wing in a free role.

I think we will have two line ups (systems) depending on the quality of the opposition.

Tougher games I'd go with:
Foderingham
Tavernier, Alves, Martin, Wallace
McRorie
Candeias, Jack, Dorrans, Murphy
Morelos
Subs: Alnwick, Wilson, John, Goss, Holt, Windass, Cummings

Easier games I'd go with:
Foderingham
Tavernier, Alves, McRorie, Wallace
Jack, Dorrans
Windass, Cummings, Murphy
Morelos
Subs: Alnwick, Martin, John, Goss, Holt, Candeias, Miller

And that leaves the below players on the fringes:
Gk. Kelly
Def. Cardoso, Bates, Hodson
Mid. Halliday, Barjonas, Kranjcar
Att. O'Halloran, Herrera

I also know some people wouldn't start Alves, Wallace, etc. But I'm ok with rotations of that kind of set up, playing players on form, for example.

I'm happy with the recent recruitment drive. I'd just prefer more guaranteed starters being bought. Only Murphy, and maybe Cummings and Martin will be starters for me. If we believe we can buy Goss and he proves the business, maybe him also (I personally don't see this being achieved). Is Jones, Docherty, Naismith, and others we are being linked with going to improve our first eleven? I for one don't think so. Docherty may be an exception but I don't see it being a massive difference.

depends on opposition but i would like to see:

Wes
Tav Martin Wilson John
Mcrorie Goss
Candeias Windass Murphy
Morelos

Then depending how the game is going you can bring on Cummings for Goss and go more attacking. Or if its a bit of a battle can take off windass and bring on jack.

Good to have different options and it shouldn't just be the same team every week, need to look at who we are playing and what they do well and what they don't do well. What formations have the opposition struggled to play against previously etc, identify weak points and play a team that can hit their week points.

And we haven't even seen the new guys in action in a competitive match so its hard to say, just hope we aren't being deluded into thinking right this us looking good, only for it to end up a nightmare again.

Jaws II

Everything suggests you are correct Earl and we WILL play 2 wide men in a 3 behind Morelos.

It's how we've set up in both the games in Florida.

Why would we set up that way in these games if we weren't planning to go with that formation in the league?

We never even experimented any other formation in Florida.

Everything suggests you are correct Earl and we WILL play 2 wide men in a 3 behind Morelos.

It's how we've set up in both the games in Florida.

Why would we set up that way in these games if we weren't planning to go with that formation in the league?

We never even experimented any other formation in Florida.

I agree with this I think we will play 1 striker. If we play 2 strikers I think it is one of the wide players who would have to be dropped.

I agree with this I think we will play 1 striker. If we play 2 strikers I think it is one of the wide players who would have to be dropped.

Can't see the 2 strikers formation happening Jaws II.
We've been creating plenty chances with the Florida formation.

We've found a position where Windass is at his best, Morelos is more suited to playing as a lone striker and it also allows Murphy and Candeias to play in their natural positions.

Plenty goals with that formation and Cummings putting pressure on Josh too.
All good.

Based on who will be fit and match ready:

______________Wes

Tav___McCrorie___Wilson___John

______Holt___Jack_____Goss

___Candieas____Morelos___Murphy
We've not played 4-3-3 since warburton left.

I would go with 4-4-2 Diamond.
Wes
Tav Cardoso Wilson John
McCrorie
Jack Murphy
Windass
Morelos Cummings

Can't see the 2 strikers formation happening Jaws II.
We've been creating plenty chances with the Florida formation.

We've found a position where Windass is at his best, Morelos is more suited to playing as a lone striker and it also allows Murphy and Candeias to play in their natural positions.

Plenty goals with that formation and Cummings putting pressure on Josh too.
All good.

Totally agree. My point was if we were playing 2 it should be 4132. However I expect it to be a 4231 like yourself. Windass/Murphy and Cummings and Candieas competing for the roles behind Morelos.

We've not played 4-3-3 since warburton left.

I would go with 4-4-2 Diamond.
Wes
Tav Cardoso Wilson John
McCrorie
Jack Murphy
Windass
Morelos Cummings

You've only got 2 proper midfielders in your diamond mate.

We'll get swamped when the other team have the ball.

You've only got 2 proper midfielders in your diamond mate.

We'll get swamped when the other team have the ball.
True that mate.....................

But if we were to play Murty's favored 4-2-3-1 would still only really be two. Im just glad that we finally have a bit of depth and we have options. For too long it been easy to select a starting 11 for us, opposing managers must have loved how easy it was.

I really hope they both play mate. We need to start testing defences properly and be more aggressive and ruthless in the final third - that's where our problem lie.

We're not perfect defensively, but the real issue we have is in the final third and putting teams away. Defenders in this league will have nightmares having to face both Morelos and Cummings, instead of the usual isolated Morelos having to take on 2 or 3 defenders on his own and feeding off scraps.

And to be honest I don't think Cummings (quite rightly) would have agreed to come to Rangers if he was just to sit on the bench. I've a feeling he'll play.

I dont think he was coming to sit on the bench, its just hard to workout how we are going to play and fit everyone in, this has all just come out the blue for all of us, its deffo a good option to have but we could do with getting a few out.

With McCrorie and jack and Dorrans out injured I won’t include them.
However I will include Docherty as he is the main player I want signed :)

Wes

Tav
John
Martin
Wilson

Goss

Docherty
Halliday
Murphy

Morelos
Cummings

I don’t think we should play two wide players esp against the lower level teams or our midfield gets over run.

That looked great until I seen you had Halliday instead of Ryan Jack, never in a month of Sundays.

Just my opinion mind.

If everyone is fit

Wes
Tav Alves Cardoso John
McCrorie
Jack Dorrans
Murphy
Morelos Windass

Perhaps Cummings to replace Windass though. Depending on who is in form.

It’s very difficult now, it will be very much a case of picking the team suited for a specific game and will be dependent on form. I think the below team could be used against some of the lesser teams with 1 striker against the bigger teams

Wes
Tav
Martin
Alves
John
McCrorie
Docherty
Candieas
Murphy
Cummings
Morelos

Dorrans
Jack
Wilson
Windass
Wallace
Goss

That looked great until I seen you had Halliday instead of Ryan Jack, never in a month of Sundays.

Just my opinion mind.

Jack and McCrorie are still out injured.

I think the poster is basing his side on who's available.

The competition for the first eleven will drive our performances to another level altogether. I can't wait to see us after this break.

............................Foderingham

Tavernier.......McCrorie.....Wilson.........John

........................Jack...........Goss.

Candeias............................................Murphy

...................Morelos........Cummings

I think we want to start getting at teams. We've surely got the tools to do that now. Debated over the CB and CM positions. But I think want to be as solid as we can in there and give the others a platform to play off of. I also think McCrorie needs to play.

However -isn't it great to have options?!

Back