So, next season... what positions do we need to strengthen in order to maintain a challenge?

Increasingly I get the sense that the summer won't be about improving the first 11, but who between us and celtic can keep what we already have.

If clubs need to reduce wage bills rather than increase it, it will be very interesting to see how all the cards fall.

On the face of it our current squad may have enough quality depending on what celtic are forced to do with their wage bill. But can we keep it?

The issue last season was not the scum, we had their number, it was the fragile mentality when things went against us away from home. We dropped so many points from winning positions it was criminal. Need a system and players who can see out games at diddy clubs.

Every signing should make the first XI better (back up for Borna aside)
Our squad has been overhauled as has our playing style but I said just when he came in that we need to get to the stage where you look at the bench and see the likes of Jack, Tav, Candeias, Morelos who can come on and make a real difference. No sentiment towards 55, make the 11 better

The issue last season was not the scum, we had their number, it was the fragile mentality when things went against us away from home. We dropped so many points from winning positions it was criminal. Need a system and players who can see out games at diddy clubs.

This is exactly why I have said it is the core of the team who need replaced. I believe the core players who the manager relies on are weak mentally.
These are Tavernier, Goldson, Jack and Morelos.
Each have great attributes but they all have various problems with either discipline, mentality or fitness.

I would want to sell them all and hope Wilson with the funds could sign better players who don’t fall apart like they have done.

Fling in the Hamiton at home to that. Totally unacceptable.

I’d sell Morelos hopefully get 20m for him

we need a real leader in the middle of the park someone who will drive the team forward and ruffle a we feathers

a real hard bastard that can play in the souness mould

we need a hateley type of centre forward

we need a powerful quick number ten who can shoot from distance

imo we are far too light weight when we play hagi and Kent away from home that needs to stop

we would have a real chance if we can do this type of business

I think it’s in a way less about positions and players and more about prioritising competitions and making hard coaching decisions.

It’s not a nice thing to think about, but looking at how the past two seasons have gone - the post-break collapse suggests the players are done in.

Do we place less importance on Europe? After a group stage and a last 16 appearance, then surely we’re ahead of the peak in terms of what the business model expected when Gerrard came in? Alternatively, you can never have too much income.

Do we place less importance on the League Cup or Scottish Cup, and focus on the league? Again, the alternate is that a League Cup win specifically would help the team mentally.

The coaching decision is going to rotate players more, including the favourites. Up until the break, I thought we were excellent at times. I spent yesterday hammering Gerrard and the team because of the possibility that the team don’t have it mentally - could it be a physical thing given the length of the season and continual Sunday/Thursday games?

*for multi positions

GK: McGregor, Robbie McCrorrie

LB: Barisic, GAP

CB: Helander, Edmundson

CB: Goldson, Katic

RB: Tav, McCrorrie*, Polster

CM: Jack, Arfield*, McCrorrie*

CM: Davis, Aribo*

CM: Kamara, Hagi

LF: Kent, Jones, Arfield, Barker*

RF: Hagi, Stewart*, Aribo*, Barker*

CF: Morelos, Defoe, Stewart*

Assuming we sign Hagi. There could be departures with most likely first team players being Kamara, Morelos and Barisic.

For me we have clear gaps in the squad at LB and GK. Potentially a right sided front player if we don’t get Hagi (although he shouldn’t play there).

To actually improve the first team, I think we still need another couple CM that can drive with ball through middle and make a bit of space. That could be Aribo or Hagi. We also need a destroyer for certain games, this could be McCrorrie but if we want an upgrade then need the same physicality but with a bit more guile. I would prefer we give Ross a chance though.

Right side of the front 3 feels a constant problem. Either Hagi or Aribo can fill in there but if we could get a similar quality to Kent then maybe teams wouldn’t double up on him as much.

So before any sales I want at least 3 players, CM that can run with ball/make space (Hagi), a right sided attacker and a backup LB. There is a good chance we will also need a striker.

We need better administrators on the SPFL board and non cheating match officials. That’s mainly what let us down this season.

This is exactly why I have said it is the core of the team who need replaced. I believe the core players who the manager relies on are weak mentally.
These are Tavernier, Goldson, Jack and Morelos.
Each have great attributes but they all have various problems with either discipline, mentality or fitness.

I would want to sell them all and hope Wilson with the funds could sign better players who don’t fall apart like they have done.
Hard to disagree, we don't have players who have won anything apart from McGregor and Davis. Good players but not strong enough for the 'win every game' mentality of our great club.

Back