So this "sizeable transfer kitty" in January....

Portadown_Bear

where would you spend it?

A left midfielder and a midfield general of the Souness type would be the first positions I would fill.

What do we think?

LM, FB, CM/AM that can unlock a defense when teams sit in and if spare change a nutter. I'd also throw in a CF to play up top with Morelos

Depends entirely what a sizable transfer kitty actually is.

Left wing, a striker then a right back if there is sufficient funds.

Goalscoring left winger and a striker to share the burden with Morelos (he's only young and shouldn't have that level of expectation every game).

HOw many clubs do business on that scale in January? NONE.

Don’t expect a big transfers kitty or a lot of incomings until the summer at least.

Its not always easy to get the players you want in the winter window, but a midfield beast, left midfielder and another striker for me

You build a team from the back.

Therefore we start with a top quality goalkeeper, which at this present time we do NOT have.

More likely in the summer though.

Does it say Jan specifically or just a sizeable kitty? Imagine most of our business will be done in the summer when prices aren’t as over inflated. Would be nice to get 1 or 2 quality players in though.

With respect, you build a team where the priorities require it first. Goalkeeper can not be viewed as a priority. Celtic won 3 league titles and got to a UEFA final with Rab bloody Douglas for goodness sake.

Glaringly obvious requirements are, for me; Someone who can play on the left but support midfield if required who doesn’t have the confidence and heart of a field mouse - I.e. not Josh Windass. A midfielder who can make late runs beyond the striker(s) and a midfielder who can dictate a game and demand the ball in tight situations and not panic. The way a Ferguson or Souness would. Having the cojones to back yourself and stand up when chips are down etc. Very very hard to find, but that’s what we need I think. If we get those and we are then still relatively weak in goals (I would disagree by the way) then maybe look at a keeper after that. But we’d be looking at a left back, maybe a right back, and a centre half first I would wager.

Absolutely nobody knows if the new guy will have anything to spend or not, but working on the assumption he does then I’d like to focus on quality, no more than two players, but of a higher quality than we have now, then the same again in the summer. Mass clear outs never work.

So to put this nonsense to bed. Here is what he said AJ, was at the board meeting via teleconference, therefore whoever comes in is getting buttons in Jan.

Johnston acknowledged there will be a cost to pay off the current coaching team and employ replacements, but said Caixinha has left a squad which needs only minor alterations.

He said: "There are financial implications but in the circumstances they had to be seconded, to the best interests of the club.

"My own view is that we have a better squad than people think and perhaps a new management team will get more out of them.

"A lot of Rangers fans thought the players we brought in during the summer were actually positive.

"I don't think we have seen the best of them and I would like to think that the new management team will be able to get more out of them.

"In many ways that's what Celtic did when they brought in Brendan Rodgers."

So to put this nonsense to bed. Here is what he said AJ, was at the board meeting via teleconference, therefore whoever comes in is getting buttons in Jan.

Johnston acknowledged there will be a cost to pay off the current coaching team and employ replacements, but said Caixinha has left a squad which needs only minor alterations.

He said: "There are financial implications but in the circumstances they had to be seconded, to the best interests of the club.

"My own view is that we have a better squad than people think and perhaps a new management team will get more out of them.

"A lot of Rangers fans thought the players we brought in during the summer were actually positive.

"I don't think we have seen the best of them and I would like to think that the new management team will be able to get more out of them.

"In many ways that's what Celtic did when they brought in Brendan Rodgers."

I actually agree with AJ on this. We are a couple of quality players away from being a decent side. January is a notoriously difficult window to acquire that quality. I'm sure funds will be made available, but I don't see us making multiple signings.

2-3 quality players can change a whole team

a left mid is no 1 target

a number 10 playmaker with skill and excellent control and passing - no 2

a solid all round centre mid- no 3

another cb because alves wont stay - no 4

right back - number 5

Id like to get John permanently would be a great aquirement. The rest won't get dealt with properly until the summer I feel.

I can't see there being much in the kitty. Our revenue and costs barely break even.

We need proper investment but this board don't have the finances. I am intrigued by Julian Wolhardt mind you.

Last edited:
You build a team from the back.

Therefore we start with a top quality goalkeeper, which at this present time we do NOT have.

More likely in the summer though.
The goalkeeping postion is not a priority,IMO.A left winger,centre mid ball winner and another number 9 would do for starters

2-3 quality players can change a whole team

a left mid is no 1 target

a number 10 playmaker with skill and excellent control and passing - no 2

a solid all round centre mid- no 3

another cb because alves wont stay - no 4

right back - number 5
What makes you so sure alves won't stay?

Jan window is tough in terms of availability and value. We won't challenge this season now and I would rather we kept the powder dry for summer window. Give the new manager some time to see what he can get from the existing squad and then spend in the summer when the conditions are better

Left sided Midfielder - a Van Bronkhorst type
A ball winning midfielder - An Ian Ferguson/Stuart McCall type
A 2nd striker - A Jelavic type

Spend all the budget on 3 quality players.

A new spine,no more "bottle merchants"please,whoever we sign 6feet plus,and Wants to play for Glasgow rangers I

GK, RB, FW, Alan McGregor, Ikechi Anya, Steven Naismith.

Just my opinion, tin hat firmly strapped on.

i dont think he is enjoying it here, just a hunch no source
I agree. He's turning up at places like Hamilton and Thistle and thinking what the f.uck is this. And enduring the hammer throwing aspect of Scottish football.The fact that he came because of Pedro I can't see him being here too long. I understand his position to be honest.

Back