So we've a Knockout round before we reach last 16

HeverleeRFC

The group stage has been reduced from 48 to 32 teams – eight groups of four. The eight group winners progress automatically to the round of 16.

There will be additional knockout round play-offs prior to the round of 16; these will be between the eight UEFA Europa League group runners-up and the eight third-ranked teams from the UEFA Champions League groups.

All set up to keep the champions League teams in Europe longer. U£FA

Does anyone know if we’ll be away second leg (24th) because we’re unseeded

gn20.png

Dortmund, Milan, Barca….let them worry about us, not vice versa!

Ok I’ll stop getting carried away now

Well, potentially got our glamour tie…we just had to go the tourist route first!

I’ll be sick from a selfish POV if we get Zenit. Always fancied STP but can’t get to the next round.

Not really additional, there was always a last 32.

The difference is its a guarenteed CL drop out rather than the possibility of a group winner.
Not really much difference usually between the kind of teams finishing in either of those spots, unless it's a CL group of death.

The only thing that’s changed is that group winners skip the last 32.

For us, we have a two legged tie in order to reach the last 16. Same as previous seasons.

Well, the two legged tie arguably had a chance to be easier by playing a group winner than a 3rd place CL side but that does depend on the quality each year I guess.

Europe is a bit of a cash cow for Rangers at the moment. For the club it’s just good we are through this round and in as high a competition as we can be in.

Our focus will be domestic competitions as it’s there where we get trophies and allows us access to European riches

FFS, so, to get to the next stage of the Europa League, we need to beat a THIRD place CL team (That's a bit of a farce).

Not only that, but if we lose, we don't get a place in the Conference league?

I'd rather have finished 3rd ffs

Arguably 3rd would have been better financially and for the coefficient if we get a tough draw for the next round…

Well, the two legged tie arguably had a chance to be easier by playing a group winner than a 3rd place CL side but that does depend on the quality each year I guess.
On paper only.

Depends who wants it more.

Look at Spurs in the Conference League tonight. Started with a weakened team, lost the match.

Conference money is peanuts. We get 1 million just for playing in the next round, plus it's likely to be a glamour tie.

The prize money is less in the conference but would be more than offset by gate money for playing more rounds.

That said, happy where we are and bring the easiest draw possible on please.

Arguably 3rd would have been better financially and for the coefficient if we get a tough draw for the next round…
Did we not establish that the TV money involved means that you would be financially worse off going to the ECL?

(Not trying to be a smart arse, genuinely can’t remember - I know we were discussing it :)))

Did we not establish that the TV money involved means that you would be financially worse off going to the Europa?

(Not trying to be a smart arse, genuinely can’t remember - I know we were discussing it :)))

I think when it was all added up getting to conference QF was better than going out in the next round of Europa league, when considering gate money.

Coefficient is the big thing for me tbh

There hasnt been a better time to play barca since dundee utd beat them.
Still rather avoid them.
Rather avoid milan too but both those ties are mouth watering in terms of the travelling support, covid permitting
Have a soft spot for Milan, and watch them most weekends. Would love to draw them, however I want the easiest draw and they are probably 4th on my preference list :))

Have a soft spot for Milan, and watch them most weekends. Would love to draw them, however I want the easiest draw and they are probably 4th on my preference list :))
Its one of those ones where we could get thousands of tickets, place holds about 80,000 and they would be lucky to sell 60000 to home fans for a january europa league tie v us, especially since theyre seriously in serie a mix this season. We got robbed of a jaunt there when inter was behind closed doors.

FFS, so, to get to the next stage of the Europa League, we need to beat a THIRD place CL team (That's a bit of a farce).

Not only that, but if we lose, we don't get a place in the Conference league?

I'd rather have finished 3rd ffs
Don’t think there’s anything wrong with it, we are in the next stage of the Europa League.

They can call it whatever they want, progressing from the groups takes you to the next stage. It just means there’s more of an incentive for teams to try top the group, and have less dead rubber matches.

Effectively what’s happened is they’ve reduced the numbers starting in the competition so 4 groups less means 8 less teams progressing. To sort this out they’ve done a round of 24. 8 EL group winners getting a bye to round of 16. The other 16 teams do battle for 8 winners to make it to last 16. Easy to understand.

Milan are joint top of Serie A and are going well at the moment & I don’t think our defence would stand much of a chance against Ibrah or Giroud
I know, I watch them on a weekly basis and I’d confident of us getting the job done. Especially over two legs.

Said the same last season :))

The eight group-winners of the EL group stage qualify for the round of 16. The eight runners-up of the group stage (GERS) qualify for the knock-out round of the Europa League on 17+24 February 2022.

The clubs that finish this stage in third position in their group qualify for the knock-out round of the Europa Conference League. The clubs that finish this stage in fourth position in their group are eliminated.

In knockout round play-offs the runners-up of the Europa League group stage are seeded (Rangers) above the teams that finish third in the UEFA Champions League group stage. Clubs from the same association can not be drawn against each other.

With the introduction of the Conference League, the number of groups in the Europa League reduced from 12 to 8 and, therefore, the number of teams qualifying for the knock out stages reduced from 32 to 24. To compensate, a "play off" round has been introduced for Champ League drop outs and second place teams to get back to a normal round of 16 rather than the previous "all in" round if 32. In effect, for us, nothing changes we would still have to win the same number of ties to reach the final as we did in 2008.

Back