So we've a Knockout round before we reach last 16

Anyone know if cards get wiped out after next game? We should rest Alfie for Lyon away as he’s on a booking (as is Sakala I believe)

gn20.png
Nice to see only our and Timmy’s groups resolved with a game to spare. Positively for us and negatively for them.

FFS, so, to get to the next stage of the Europa League, we need to beat a THIRD place CL team (That's a bit of a farce).

Not only that, but if we lose, we don't get a place in the Conference league?

I'd rather have finished 3rd ffs
No you would not have.
Every game we are Rangers and every game we wish to win.

I love how this thread is full of people now saying they are unsure if coming second or third would have been better for us. I posted a while back I wanted 3rd place as I felt we could go very deep in the conference rather than the potential one and done we will be coming second.

The reality tonight is that the club, players and management needed that win tonight so more than happy to see us knock the racists out.

Wonder if we would get a huge allocation for a game at San Siro. Would love to go watch us play there but as a Bronze mygers member I’d need a huge allocation give to us.

I love how this thread is full of people now saying they are unsure if coming second or third would have been better for us. I posted a while back I wanted 3rd place as I felt we could go very deep in the conference rather than the potential one and done we will be coming second.

The reality tonight is that the club, players and management needed that win tonight so more than happy to see us knock the racists out.

Wonder if we would get a huge allocation for a game at San Siro. Would love to go watch us play there but as a Bronze mygers member I’d need a huge allocation give to us.
I got the arguments about going further in the ECL, but ultimately IMO we should always be trying to stay in the highest competitions possible.

If Rangers as 2nd placed EL have to 'play off' against CL 'losers' , could we meet up against Malmo or is that not in the realms of possibility ? :D

If it was I would fancy us ! :)

I understand what you are saying but there are still some big hitters in the EU conference so I am happy where we are and we will see where we stand on 13 December after the play off round draw.

The good thing is that GvB and his team have another two/three weeks to get our 's*i*' together by then. B-D

Last edited:
Effectively what’s happened is they’ve reduced the numbers starting in the competition so 4 groups less means 8 less teams progressing. To sort this out they’ve done a round of 24. 8 EL group winners getting a bye to round of 16. The other 16 teams do battle for 8 winners to make it to last 16. Easy to understand.
I think you’ve cleared this up for me. Is the confusion in the wording, as it’s a last 24 and not 32 as keeps being said. Sorry if I’m being thick here.

I think it should be the case that Champions League 3rd placed teams play off against each other and Europa League 2nd placed teams play against each other in this next round. Probably a bit fairer.

Yep.Ill be crossing my fingers for Barca . Can't believe some posters suggesting preferring the consolation consolation league.
Would prefer a different team to Barca, but absolutely agree, I just don't understand the mentality of wanting to be in a lower graded competition regardless of whether or not we could go further.

It's like wanting to be in the Challenge Cup rather than the League Cup.

I think it should be the case that Champions League 3rd placed teams play off against each other and Europa League 2nd placed teams play against each other in this next round. Probably a bit fairer.
Not a bad idea.

However, it takes away the extra incentive to finish first. Also means less top teams in Europe, which Uefa won’t want.

Can’t see it happening for those reasons.

Sheriff Tiraspol would be a cracking draw for us.
Watched them a couple of times. Have some decent players and a threat up front. Tbh it would be a well balanced match. Think they will sell on a couple for good spondoolits. Rather a big name personally. Although the Sheriff v the Rangers has an appeal to it.

Sheriff Tiraspol would be a cracking draw for us.
Moldova is a shithole is it not.

They also won at Real Madrid.

I would rather a glamour tie or a side we have a decent chance against. The fear with them is they are definitely not the first and possibly not the second.

Shame not to have the safety net of dropping down into the Shitter League but a glamour tie is a good reward for the team and us fans so no issues there.

Conference is for really shite teams, like Sellick
Listening to TalkSport on way home from the game last night, O'Hara and Cundy (well mainly Cundy) were laughing at them 'tumbling' down the competitions.

Started in the Champions' League - oot
Moved to Europa - oot
Now in Conference.

Quite the comedown.

Does anyone have a link to the full list of potential opponents?
Teams in bold are the ones I think will drop down

Milan/Porto/Atletico (two on 4 points, one on 5)
Leipzig/Brugge (both on 4 points)
Dortmund
Sherif
Benfica
/Barca (5 points, and 7 points - Barca to play Bayern, but I think they’ll win)
Villarreal/Atalanta/Young boys (essentially, whoever loses out of the first two. A draw means Atalanta)
Lille/Salzburg/Sevilla/Wolfsburg (haven’t a fucking clue with this one)
Zenit

Will some interesting ties on the last day.

Milan are joint top of Serie A and are going well at the moment & I don’t think our defence would stand much of a chance against Ibrah or Giroud

If they lose their last game, depending on other results they might finish bottom of their group.

56 is the real deal and this is what we should be concentrating on.
Mental . What a insular , loser attitude . Would you prefer reruns of progres , where we were kicked out at the first hurdle and then sank in the league ?

A club of our standing should be able to concentrate on both fronts .

Last 4 years = group stage

Last 3 years = knock out stages

It’s that performance that can see us automatically qualify for the CL , not to mention the tens of millions the club has banked that’s allowed us to spend more heavily than previously .

Did we not establish that the TV money involved means that you would be financially worse off going to the ECL?

(Not trying to be a smart arse, genuinely can’t remember - I know we were discussing it :)))
TV money is miles less. So is coefficient money.

Watched them a couple of times. Have some decent players and a threat up front. Tbh it would be a well balanced match. Think they will sell on a couple for good spondoolits. Rather a big name personally. Although the Sheriff v the Rangers has an appeal to it.
“Good guys” vs “ best guys”.

It’s not about fairness with UEFA, it’s another safety net for the big boys. More safety nets than a trapeze artist.

There is no guarantee Timbo is getting an easy time in the Europa Conference League though it seems a mixed bag of decent, reasonably good or poor teams. If we had of dropped into the ECL these are the teams they will and we could have faced. Would much prefer a glamour tie against the teams parachuting into the Europa League from the Champions League.

Qualifiers For ECL Knock Out Round
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Partizan Belegrade or Flora or Anorthosis Famagusta
Roma or Bodo/Glimit (beat Roma 6 v 1)
Randers or Jablonec
Slavia Prague or Union Berlin
Slovan Bratislava or PAOK
Tottenham Hotspur or Vitesse
Basel or Qarabag

Qualified For ECL Round Of 16
Lask
Gent
AZ
Feyenoord
Copenhagen
Rennes

What is the complicated part?
Edit : I've just looked at the posts Where you've asked various questions regarding European competitions and the permutations, asking what is complicated is a bit rich! Where to begin . Champions League should be renamed. It's not a league of champions. The ruling bodies shoehorn the teams of nations they want in the competition purely for financial means. Plus, how often do we discuss on here the various permutations regarding knockouts/ parachute playoffs .....and so forth. Only my opinion, but nations champions should play in champions League and cup winners to play in the 'lesser' competition. Remember when CL finals were eagerly looked forward to?
Post #97 nails it.

Last edited:
Back