Soccer AM cancelled

Used to watch it religiously around 2004/05. Great time for music as well which they got on board with.

This was pretty car crash but was funny at the time. Which could be said about a lot of what went on tbh!

think HMHB nailed it in Rock and Roll in full of bad wools. All a bit smug. was time up years ago.

He's sitting on a so-called Soccer Sofa
On a Saturday morning
Having the so-called banter with the Preston
Touching base with fellow guest Heston
How cool does he appear?
And how cool is his career?
He's gonna talk about his songs
And his favourite footy teams
That's England, Chelsea, Accy Stanley
"And all the band love watching Barca"
But then, disastrously
They ask him casually
"You come from Leigh-On-Sea,
Do you ever get to Roots Hall?"
Which to him means %^*& all
Can only look askance
And cast a sideways glance
Could use some help with this
But Heston's gone for a piss
Need something to deflect
Enter Ruddock left
"More doughnuts" shout the crew
High art shall not ensue
Here, today, in this place
And our hapless singer's band
Has just gone moribund
Stay tuned, following the break
Crazy Razor gonna get him in a headlock
Crazy Razor headlock

It was hit and miss when he was in it. Had some good bits but far too many in-jokes with the crew and the try-too-hard attempt to be cool by getting a landfill indie band on every week became tiresome very quickly. Like a less good version of 90s Chris Evans.
Nope, it was consistently good when Tim Lovejoy was on it. I watched it every week and can't remember a bad show.

Nope, it was consistently good when Tim Lovejoy was on it. I watched it every week and can't remember a bad show.
I watched it every week as well, it was mainly good but the points I made stand, it became increasingly about in-jokes and shite indie band to massage Lovejoy's ego, which was the approach that Chris Evans took 10 years earlier and was followed by the likes of Chris Moyles. The main star surrounding themselves with sycophants who are too timid to point out where things are no longer working. The good bits were great though.

Last edited:
I was never a massive fan, so not really gutted or anything.

Must admit though, at its peak it was great hangover/pre football day out viewing.

I'm surprised it lasted so long, but whenever I caught it in channel flicking in (at least) the last ten years, it looked totally unwatchable.

Just had a look on youtube for that

He is definitely charlied out his box :cool: :))

I remember Alan McGee on the show being asked about the night he first saw Oasis and he mentioned being out his face on ecstasy....tumbleweed in the studio and Helen moving swiftly on to the next question.

It’s strange how replacing one person has such a big effect on the product, used to wake up early on a sat and sit and watch it before getting ready to go to the football, when Tim lovejoy left it was never the same, stopped watching it about a year after that.

Back