Solskjaer - Next Man U manager?

I think they will feel they have to appoint him if he has a good end to the season and I think it will be a massive mistake.

Ironically Poch was brought into Southampton to a ridiculous amount of critisism as Nigel Atkins was seen as doing a decent job. The board were brave enough to ignore this though to improve the long term prospects of the club. I think United would be wise to take a similar forward thinking view - with the same guy imo.

I think they will feel they have to appoint him if he has a good end to the season and I think it will be a massive mistake.

Ironically Poch was brought into Southampton to a ridiculous amount of critisism as Nigel Atkins was seen as doing a decent job. The board were brave enough to ignore this though to improve the long term prospects of the club. I think United would be wise to take a similar forward thinking view - with the same guy imo.

I remember that. Loads of ‘who’s he? What’s he ever done? He doesn’t even speak English!’

If Ole doesn’t get the job I hope it goes tits up again for whatever big name they do bring in.

It will be very difficuilt not to give hin the job

OP - I agree but my incline is he is in a very comfortable position said it him self sleeps well , feels like a kid the players the staff literally work around the set itenary in place by Sir Alex from the top right down to the very bottom structures with ladies even kids teams.

For me that all changes come the summer when you suddenly have agents snapping your legs and 200 million to spend , I don’t know United are shrewd I think they will use ole as a ‘ bounce ‘ in the correct direction something the past 3 managers have failed at - then bring in a zidane like manager, but hard to argue your point based on current results ?

I see the media are saying his agent has met with the Glazers. Done well since taking up the appointment but his next 3 games will surely define his future with the club?!

PSG in the CL at home
Chelsea in the FA cup away
Liverpool at home in league

Not a Man Utd fan but will be interesting to see how he does. He clearly can manage the group of players well but would you trust him with the summer transfer budget?

Not the big name I think the supporters want but has been keeping them happy for now.
Massive mistake if they appoint him. He's benefited from the dead cat bounce, anybody who went in after Jose was going to get good results because the players clearly hated working for him. Next season will be a different scenario and Ole has not got a good track record as a manager, he's more likely to take them further down than up.

Spurs away , arsenal away . He’s passed every challenge flung at him and to say he’s no won any big games is ridiculous
Man Utd have no meaningful big games this season, if they finish 4th it will be considered a bonus after the way they performed under Jose. This season will be a writeoff.

There are ways to win - Man U are papering cracks - evidenced by a win at Arsenal as an example, that's not a "big win" anymore IMO as Arsenal, in the grand scheme of things are a bit shite and a bit of a fraud of a football team, they deceive people into thinking they are good but in reality most decent teams have turned them over at one stage or another over the last few seasons - that's not the watermark for a manager getting the Man United job - the tests will come between now and the end of the season when things get a bit more serious.

It is quite easy to be streaky in wins in the EPL if you get the right fall of fixtures.

No other team in the last 8 of the CL as an example would even have someone like Solskjaer in their top 20 candidates for the job.

I can't argue with his record so far as it is impressive
But I'm unconvinced they've been severely tested yet
I still reckon they're defence is a bit squeeky & they've got off lightly with some of the opposition they've faced imo
I can't help thinking they could still be due a spanking or two yet this season especially from those above them in the league

OP - I agree but my incline is he is in a very comfortable position said it him self sleeps well , feels like a kid the players the staff literally work around the set itenary in place by Sir Alex from the top right down to the very bottom structures with ladies even kids teams.

For me that all changes come the summer when you suddenly have agents snapping your legs and 200 million to spend , I don’t know United are shrewd I think they will use ole as a ‘ bounce ‘ in the correct direction something the past 3 managers have failed at - then bring in a zidane like manager, but hard to argue your point based on current results ?
Fwiw i still think Pochettino will get the job but it would be very harsh one Ole based on results so far

If he beats PSG over 2 legs and takes points of the scousers he'll be offered the job.

Man Utd have no meaningful big games this season, if they finish 4th it will be considered a bonus after the way they performed under Jose. This season will be a writeoff.
They play PSG in the CL tonight, and just beat Arsenal 3-1 in FA cup!
Since OGS joined Man Utd's form has been the best in the Premiership. Nobody expected them to get into the top 4 this quickly, if at all. There are many meaningful big games ahead for Man Utd in the coming weeks.

Can't see it myself. How many times have we seen a caretaker manager come in do well initially then fail. He has done well but he has had a lot of the easy games so far .

On the one hand, Solskjær has done much better than Moyes ever did, and over the same period, better than either Mourinho or Van Gaal. Should ManU defeat PSG in their upcoming CL clash, and say, go on to reach the semi-finals, it would be hard not to offer him the managers job on a permanent basis. However, this would obviously rule out a future move for Pochettino, a proven and successful manager given the budget made available to him, and the person they probably had in mind all along, because if ManU don't appoint Poch, - then Real almost certainly will.

Not a big enough name for permanent manager. Tonight proves that. I’d guess Spurs will be looking for a manager in August.

Not a big enough name for permanent manager. Tonight proves that. I’d guess Spurs will be looking for a manager in August.

Tonight proves nothing.

That current Man Utd team wouldn't be near PSG no matter who was stood in their dugout. There's levels.

Always been a feeling that all he has done is brought that feel-good factor back to United and taken the shackles/pressure off the whole team. Doing that in the EPL is one thing but doing that against a teams like PSG would probably have been suicide, however that was a pretty negative performance at home against a team missing two of their finest attackers.

This United team simply aren't good enough in Europe and it was always pretty clear that the 1st half decent team they came up against would pump them and that was the case tonight.

Ole did look a bit like a backroom type who sits in the shadows and almost certainly not the man who is running the show so the next couple of games will be interesting.

Tonight proves nothing.

That current Man Utd team wouldn't be near PSG no matter who was stood in their dugout. There's levels.
He won’t get the job, he’s had an easy run of games and isn’t of the required standard. He’s the manager of Molde for a reason

And if that fails, run back to ole.
Give ole the job for 2 seasons, he deserves it.
Always a smile on his face unlike jose.

I'd have a big beaming smile if I was him and went from managing Molde to Man Utd.
When things get tough I expect his effectiveness to wane, plenty of caretaker managers have done the same and then failed, few succeed.

He's had a great start, but now is the acid test. There's no shame in this Man Utd team losing to PSG, who are just a better team right now.

It's how the players react to their first real setback after their new manager bounce, that I think will be most telling. Decent teams can go on streaky runs in the EPL, as evidenced by Arsenal going so many games unbeaten earlier in the season, but once the first setback happens it can be difficult to quite get the momentum / luck / confidence back.

It now looks like they go into this mini set of difficult fixtures without Lingard & Martial as well, so let's see how the next few weeks pan out. That should give us the best indication of where the team & manager is at.

I hope they do appoint him as he won't lead them to success imo.

He might do OK but won't win them the league.

Massive mistake if they appoint him. He's benefited from the dead cat bounce, anybody who went in after Jose was going to get good results because the players clearly hated working for him. Next season will be a different scenario and Ole has not got a good track record as a manager, he's more likely to take them further down than up.

That was my point earlier in the thread OP agree with all of this

He won’t get the job, he’s had an easy run of games and isn’t of the required standard. He’s the manager of Molde for a reason

Regardless of the opposition he’s won 10 from 11 including wins away at Spurs and Arsenal. He’s done all that was asked and more.

Whether or not he gets the job last nights result will have no bearing.
Utd would’ve lost that no matter who was in the dug out.

Listened to the 1st half on the radio and heard reports and videos of the match.
Simply, PSG have better players.
I think Man Utd need to make 6 correct signings to compete at this level.
Ole has improved the play of the current squad, no doubt. If he gets them into the CL and the results and performances continue to be good he would still be in contention for the job, though a club like Man Utd I would have thought would go for a proven world class manager.

Listened to the 1st half on the radio and heard reports and videos of the match.
Simply, PSG have better players.
I think Man Utd need to make 6 correct signings to compete at this level.
Ole has improved the play of the current squad, no doubt. If he gets them into the CL and the results and performances continue to be good he would still be in contention for the job, though a club like Man Utd I would have thought would go for a proven world class manager.

That’s the problem, though. They thought they had that with Van Gaal and Mourinho.

Absolutely huge decision for them coming up.

He is their Murty and when Liverpool turn them over on their own patch in a couple weeks the goodwill from the fans will go, similar to us when we lost 3-2 to the bheggars last season

Probably silly to say but Man Utd v PSG is only going to produce one winner these days.Changed times.

The upcoming game against Liverpool is bigger and if OGS gets a result there and puts a huge dent in Liverpool’s title hopes it would be very hard to see why he doesn’t get the job

I'd have a big beaming smile if I was him and went from managing Molde to Man Utd.
When things get tough I expect his effectiveness to wane, plenty of caretaker managers have done the same and then failed, few succeed.
Ten out of 11 wins, and a draw in the league.
No one could best that.Jose never had a big smile and he was out of work before going there.

Back