Some great photos of Noel Brotherston's NI memorabilia, posted by his sister

mdingwall

Administrator
Posted on the Happy Days - Northern Ireland Fanzine facebook page

Brotherston grew up in Dundonald, in the east of Belfast.

He died of a heart attack aged just 38 having played for Spurs (1), Blackburn (317), Bury (38) and Scarborough (5).

Noel's 1982 World Cup tracksuit top

Noel's 1982 World Cup away jersey

The front of Noel's 1980 British Championship winners medal

The back of Noel's 1980 British Championship winners medal

Noel's father at the street named after his son in Blackburn

Brilliant.

Happy memories.

Used to joke that if they left the gates of Windsor open he'd just keep runnin down the Donegall Road to Sandy Row.

Great post. Brings back very good memories. Wee Noel was a scorer of crucial goals for Northern Ireland although he only scored a few. He scored a winning goal against Wales to give Northern Ireland the Home International.Championship in 1980, I think. Another goal of his beat Israel and took Northern Ireland.to the 1982 World Cup for first time in 24 years.

Sorry to hijack the thread but The Home International Championship was a real lifeline competition to Northern Ireland and they are the official holders from when it was last played in 1984. England had bigger fish to fry and pulled out of it. I don't think that the Scottish FA covered themselves in glory either by withdrawing once England did. Really looked forward to the competition at the end of every season from the late 60's to the early.80's.

Shocking that Noel died so young.

I had that top just after the 82 World Cup. Absolute cracker.

Didn’t realise Noel Brotherston died so young, what a tragedy

Noel lived in Ballybeen estate just across the road from me, in the summer he was always out for runs around the local estate, really nice guy and a good staunch family.

Back