Some nice words at Airdrie Workmen's Club for Andy Goram

Hard watch, such a weird feeling to feel so heart sick for someone as you feel like you know him with knowing him.... brings back memories of going through this process with family... so sad

Bumped into the Goalie in a bar in Dortmund night before the Hannover v Rangers pre season game years ago. Ended up spending the rest of the night in his and his friends company. Great laugh and couldn’t have been any more welcoming to us. ( @SSR mind this trip? )

Gentleman and all round good guy. Horrible to see it happening to him. :(

I had the privilege of meeting the Goalie at a Sportsman's dinner in Linlithgow about 20 years ago.

I just had to ask him about what he said (more shouted !!), to van Hooijdonk when he saved that penalty at Parkhead. He said "you aren't from the Sun or the DR are you ?!" B-D Needless to say I can't repeat what was said, but let's just say, he questioned the Dutchman's sexuality, amongst other things ! B-D.

So sad what he is going through.

When Andy had his pub in Lanark, I once had the pleasure of being there one night when he was visited by Craig Moore, Charlie Miller and Barry Ferguson.

Shut the doors and had a lock in and it was amazing talking to these guys and listening too them speak about games, players etc.

Made a mad rangers man very happy!

That was a difficult watch however it was wonderful to hear all the players speak so highly of Andy. The waiting for the inevitable is horrendous, we know whats coming just don't know when.. God Bless Andy Goram, xxx

Growing up watching John Greig and Billy McNeill captaining their respective sides it was evident there was a sporting respect for the opponent and the team you were facing. As fans we could also respect certain of their players- whilst detesting others.

Hard to pin down exactly when this changed, but I reckon the arrival of Martin O’Squeal heralded the height of a different relationship between the clubs and players. They had always been “victims” but the leaping leprechaun took it to a new level.

That’s not to say individual players might not get on away from the pitch and it might just be changed times but I’d struggle to think of a single current Celtc player that I have respect for.
Martin Oneill is exactly where it started.

Lennon, brown etc are a product of that speccy 19th Century Terrorist bastard.

I absolutely hated him as a player but he doesnt seem as bitter as the likes of Hartson,Sutton etc. Grant was their version of Ian Ferguson albeit not half the player Fergie was
This. I think there has traditionally been respect between the players of both sides. Something seemed to change round about 2000, with the arrival of MoN and Lennon. I could understand and almost forgive Burns, Grant, etc being “bitter” but some of the worst seem to be imports from outwith Scotland, like Hartson. It’s got worse since.
I enjoy a fierce rivalry but there also has to be an element of respect too. However, there is a poisonous element these days. Until the SNP and their brand of bitterness came along I’d always back the national team too but I don’t really care now. A healthy OF rivalry improves the national team and potentially the league which is good for us and those who chase.

Absolutely heartbreaking. Some wonderful words there for a man who clearly left a huge impression on all who had the privilege of meeting him.

God Bless Andy Goram.

I was in a pub in Tenerife sitting at next table and everyone was speaking about football. One guy started ripping into Brown and Andy told him he was a fecking idiot if he did not think Brown was a fantastic player.
He never said it in the many times Imet him in Rangers pubs though.
Best ever The Goalie.

Bumped into the Goalie in a bar in Dortmund night before the Hannover v Rangers pre season game years ago. Ended up spending the rest of the night in his and his friends company. Great laugh and couldn’t have been any more welcoming to us. ( @SSR mind this trip? )

Gentleman and all round good guy. Horrible to see it happening to him. :(
Very down to earth .mind it well :)) Sure he was on our Easyjet flight over as well.

Respect to everyone involved in that clip. Some very kind words from some of Andy's biggest adversaries on the football field. Fair play to them.

best goalkeeper we have ever had gave us all some many wonderful memories the save from van hooijdonk was well just unbelievable. Thank you Goalie

I enjoy a fierce rivalry but there also has to be an element of respect too. However, there is a poisonous element these days.
The rivalry is driven by the fans who are more polarised than ever. Any minor thing affecting either club is pounced upon as point scoring. It spills over into workplaces, social circles, group chats and any other aspect of life you care to mention.

The fans driving this has seen the clubs being left with option of isolating these hardcore elements or being worked from the back. Whether it is the other lot moving away from "Old Firm" use despite renewing the trademark or us cancelling the friendly, relations between both clubs are as frosty as they've ever been and that is coming from the extremes of the supports.

Even after the 1980 riot, the Woods/Butcher/McAvennie incident and our 9IAR you can see the players and managers off the park will always have those personal relationships and mutual respect irrespective of how the fans/clubs are with each other.

I never thought I would see the day I would have respect for Peter Grant but it just shows you how much these players think of each other as professionals and human beings. Lovely words Peter.

They’re from a pre Martin ONeill era mate where the OF players could hate on the park and be mates off of it.

Lovely words from all involved, I'm so grateful for all the amazing memories he gave me as a youngish bear, thank you Andy.

That’s a very tough video to watch. Kudos to grant and McAvennie as well as Cowan for hosting. Tough listening to Charlie miller there. Just a very sad situation. Best goalie I’ve ever seen bar none.

I`ve been fortunate to have been in his company on a few occasions; one time at Derek Lyle`s testimonial at Palmerston.
Afterwards I asked Andy to sign a couple things for me; and we chatted for a few moments.
Suddenly a wee girl appeared/interrupted and I took a step back as she offered Andy a pen; together with a kids` autograph book with multicoloured pages.
Andy, could I get.??...... (opened book to a green page)
Aye, course you can; but shall we just choose another page first??!!
Andy shot me a mischievous glance and we both had a chuckle...
Top man, top keeper, top Ranger.
Sad times.
Respect where it`s due to Grant and McAvennie for their fine words.

Hard to watch and listen to as his pals and contemporaries were clearly emotional.

Sounds like Andy is being as brave as he possibly can be. My heart goes out to him.:(

Fair play to Peter Grant who in his earlier days came across as a bitter type but then became a joke as with each passing year he would mouth off in the press about stopping us from doing 9iar but it amounted to nothing in the end.

Both sets of players share a similar experience and will have respect for the other side, in private anyway. I think it has always been that way but the likely reaction from keyboard warriors make it difficult for them to do anything socially. I think that current players/staff from both sides doing hospital visits or charity events together would break down some of this hostility and this may filter down to the fans?

For those who say there was a change with O'Neil coming in, I didn't really notice this. The tributes paid to Fernando Ricksen by the likes of Petrov and Lennon suggest that the mutual respect existed and probably still exists. It's clearly easier to express it when playing careers are over though. Even Hartson and Sutton tweeted their sympathies but they likely just weren't as close to our players as Andy is to Grant and McAvennie.

In short, peace and love. Except when that whistle blows. Then I want that lot fucking decapitated.

The fact the Peter grant speaks so highly of him speaks volumes. Lump in my throat watching that video. I grew up watching Andy goram break celtics hearts time after time. He will always be a rangers legend in my eyes.

Back