Some of our fans are utterly addicted to drama.

Today was a routine win, one chance Aberdeen had in 90 minutes, yet still the criticism and ‘worries’ pour in.

That was as as easy a victory at Pittodrie as you’re likely to see, no fuss and professional, give me more functional wins please.
Common sense prevails at last.

You’re right to an extent but until Considine got sent off it was a very similar performance to the games we dropped points in last season. It’s all about the win at Pittodrie and not the performance but surely you can see why some people are a tad concerned.

Today was a routine win, one chance Aberdeen had in 90 minutes, yet still the criticism and ‘worries’ pour in.

That was as as easy a victory at Pittodrie as you’re likely to see, no fuss and professional, give me more functional wins please.

I think it’s entirely justifiable to be slightly concerned on what we watched today.

First of all.....Would have absolutely taken a 1-0 victory at the start of the game, without a doubt. One of our more difficult games is now out the way with 3 points in the bag & another positive has been the introduction of Balogun.

However we don’t half make it hard for ourselves at times. This is now the third season where we seem to be out of ideas when it comes to breaking down teams who sit deep. We go a goal up and then change our play noticeably and want to then solely rely on the counter attack to finish a game off.

Time & time again over the last 3 years it’s came back and bit us on the arse and on another day that could have happened again today. I hate saying it but Celtic when going a goal up kill a game off straight away. There is no sitting back or a change in style from them. They are relentless in going for another goal and that’s what we need to be like and we really need to be more ruthless if we want to get to where we want to be.

We are levels & levels above Aberdeen but we just don’t do enough to show it. Going into a 3rd year of this now is so frustrating & needs to change. Hopefully a few new additions changes our game plan going forward.

Agree with your argument in theory. In reality though we fell into the same bad habit, of taking the foot off the gas when we go ahead. We need to be ruthless and kill games off. Anything can happen in a tight game no matter how dominant you are

Tags, we created one chance.

Every team is going to set up like that this season.

That is a big concern.

I can think of Aribo and Morelos both having goalbound shots from inside the area blocked, just off the top if my head. Both when played through the right hand side of their defence in the second half.

We toiled to kill the game, no question, but to say we created just 1 chance is way off the mark.

Another 37 of those will do me

To be fair, I've been back on here a couple of weeks and 70% of your posts seen to be digs at other supporters on here, direct or otherwise. Maybe reflect a bit before accusing folk of liking drama, people are entitled to their opinions.

Yup. We should be scoring more. An issue we had last season.

yes we won, and I get it’s the first game, but we need to be more ruthless. Familiar viewpoint though.

We could have had 5 other clear goal-scoring chances if Hagi mainly and there was one where Kent hit it off Alfie's back heel. But any other day one or two of them come off. I think it will come together. But as we all know, we probably need 2 or 3 quality players in the door.

I can think of Aribo and Morelos both having goalbound shots from inside the area blocked, just off the top if my head. Both when played through the right hand side of their defence in the second half.

We toiled to kill the game, no question, but to say we created just 1 chance is way off the mark.
I’ll give you the Aribo one.

Still a massive concern.

We need upgrades from middle to front. Two quality starters at least.

And they chance they had was a stramash.

There are bits and pieces that can always be improved, but their chance wasnt even when they had more of the play, it was the first half.

I'll take that every week. Balogun is going to be a massive player for us, the 1-0's will stay 1-0 and not becomes 1-1.

Indeed, routine win and I dont think we had a save to make.

It was the opening game of the covid campaign and against a team who Gerrard struggles with, you’ll hear no complaints from me on today. Only was is up!

I’ll give you the Aribo one.

Still a massive concern.

We need upgrades from middle to front. Two quality starters at least.

You missed Alfie's shot deflected off the inside heel of Taylor's trailing leg - after it was past Lewis?

You are correct about some issues to address but to say we only had 1 - or 2 - chances is just wrong.

All what you say is true but we didn’t kill game even though we dominated. All it takes is one slip
That is the worry. For the past 2 years we have dominated and then lost a stupid goal costing us points so cant blame us for being nervous. Also no harm in consructive criticism. I think we can all agree that too oftem we are too slow to get from midfield to attack.
That said it was the 1st game of the season and apart from that stramash in the box we were very comfortable and deserved the win.

I think the worry is that was a carbon copy of last season our inability to kill a game off doesn't seem to have been improved.

We start off like World beaters we should be dismantling teams but we don't and the pressure just builds usually ends in us shooting ourselves in the foot

People are allowed to be concerned, every time someone voices a different opinion, lots of folk start saying this place is mad or what more do we want blah blah blah, yes it was great to win but there are definite warning signs that it’s a rerun of last season, can anyone say hand on heart they would have been surprised if Aberdeen had scored with a late set piece? Thoroughly glad they never though.

I'll take another 37 of that result, but selfishly I don't want us to because I'm a nervous fkn wreck when we're only 1 goal up. Hagi wasn't at his best today, hopefully just a one off for him. When Hagi, Kent and Aribo show up we're going to be a very hard team to defend against. Great result today at the second hardest away game of the season, nothing whatsoever to worry about so far.

Absolutely agree. The only quarrel I have is that we didn't take any of the gifted counter-attack opportunities to go and kill the game 2nd half. But the sharpness will come with matches. So glad to get Pittodrie out of the way first. One less tricky fixture to worry about and 3 points on the board.

The lack of conviction/killer instinct is a worry.

One corner/free kick unravels all of our good work in the first half.

The drop off in intensity in the 2nd half was noticeable, and it echos last year.

7/10 - Can do better.

Personal preference is to enjoy the win tonight, then if we struggle to break teams down in other games deal with the disappointment then.

Life too short to be worrying about what might happen, particularly when as fans there's absolutely nothing we can do to change the team.

1 cup final in 4, zero title challenges. Multiple points dropped in games just like today’s. Much the same personnel as last season.

It’s not really hard to see why people are worried is it? It really is Groundhog Day, we had the same discussions last season after a narrow win at Rugby Park.
You’re choking for the team to fail aren’t you? We just won at a tricky away venue playing our game. They had one shot at goal.

It was comfortable but we should have won by more the sloppiness going forward did frustrate me.

"our fans are utterly addicted to drama"? Are you just discovering this, OP?

The thread that made me laugh this week was the one complaining about the absence of leaks
when it comes to new signings.

We have a hefty coterie of sweetie wives, drama queens and curtain-twitchers in our fan base...

We didn't kill the game of when we had the chance, we have repeatedly seen similar performances cost us points for the last couple of years maybe that's why some people are worried
Although it is a good 3 points

Tags, we created one chance.

Every team is going to set up like that this season.

That is a big concern.

Off the top of my head, we scored one and had another from Aribo cleared off the line. So that's not true.

Think it's worth remembering it's the first game of the season. I've rarely seen one of those where we're absolutely firing on all cylinders (in fact we've won a few titles after not winning on the opening day) and today is was a competitive game played in entirely different circumstances to any that the players will have experienced previous.

Today was a pretty comfortable and professional if not comprehensive performance all things considered. There's definitely a degree of drama queenery already on show on here today that lacks perspective.

We won't win the League trying to hang onto slender 1-0 leads. At that scoreline, its easy to drop points, be it a fluke goal, penalty or dodgy ref decision. We've witnessed this scenario often enough. Just put teams away early, Rangers.

Latest posts

Back