Some of the 86 World Cup squad

Panini Album was regular stickers with foil badges.

There was another album with the plastic type 'cards' you are talking about, I think, mate.
Yeah maybe, I just have this memory in my head of me holding a plastic Souness card when I was in primary 5.

This was before my time so it has always baffled me why that team and the 78 squad performed so poorly. Top players, European Cup winners etc. why did they get beat off Peru, draw with Iran in 78?

Just had a look at 86 and didn’t realise they came up against Denmark, West Germany and Uruguay which is a tough group in fairness.
It was that year’s group of death. I do remember being disappointed with the opening defeat to Denmark even though they’d reached the semi finals of the Euros two years earlier and in players like Laudrup, Olsen and Elkjaer had talents superior to our own.

Against Germany we took the lead before they fought back, but in hindsight we ran both of those countries close, which is probably about the best we were ever going to do.

Uruguay was the big blow. They were reduced to ten men after the first few minutes but we didn’t have sufficient quality to capitalise.

Dalglish didn’t go and Souness looked to be struggling with the heat (he wasn’t the only one). Stein also preferred Bannon’s industry to Cooper’s invention and anyone that thinks Roy Aitken is the fulcrum of any team is going to get what they deserve.

None of our strikers looked good enough at that level either and ultimately that was probably the difference.

McAvennie had been running riot in the English top flight and Archibald was playing for Barcelona, but neither managed to replicate their club form for Scotland.

McCoist had finished top scorer in Scotland that season but wasn’t picked and Johnston didn’t feature either for some reason despite being pivotal in qualifying.

Yeah maybe, I just have this memory in my head of me holding a plastic Souness card when I was in primary 5.

I had the entire panini book for the 86 world cup apart from one Uraguay player.

You could sent away for particular players you didnt have so I sent away requesting that one....and they sent me the wrong player back!

I didnt bother trying again.

It was that year’s group of death. I do remember being disappointed with the opening defeat to Denmark even though they’d reached the semi finals of the Euros two years earlier and in players like Laudrup, Olsen and Elkjaer had talents superior to our own.

Against Germany we took the lead before they fought back, but in hindsight we ran both of those countries close, which is probably about the best we were ever going to do.

Uruguay was the big blow. They were reduced to ten men after the first few minutes but we didn’t have sufficient quality to capitalise.

Dalglish didn’t go and Souness looked to be struggling with the heat (he wasn’t the only one). Stein also preferred Bannon’s industry to Cooper’s invention and anyone that thinks Roy Aitken is the fulcrum of any team is going to get what they deserve.

None of our strikers looked good enough at that level either and ultimately that was probably the difference.

McAvennie had been running riot in the English top flight and Archibald was playing for Barcelona, but neither managed to replicate their club form for Scotland.

McCoist had finished top scorer in Scotland that season but wasn’t picked and Johnston didn’t feature either for some reason despite being pivotal in qualifying.

It was a very hard group and nobody gave scotland a going over.

Back then I cant recall many countries beating us easily.

England by contrast had a group of morocco, portugal and poland yet almost managed to make an arse of it.

Souness lost a lot of weight during the Germany game. Think he was also struggling with the after effects of the Montezuma's Revenge he picked up in Mexico.

Johnston got caught with a lady friend in his room before the Australia play off I'm sure. Ferguson bombed him out completely.

Souness lost a lot of weight during the Germany game. Think he was also struggling with the after effects of the Montezuma's Revenge he picked up in Mexico.

Johnston got caught with a lady friend in his room before the Australia play off I'm sure. Ferguson bombed him out completely.

Ironic from Ferguson given his alleged antics back in the 70s....

Slightly off topic but I recall Panini holding a swap shop at Govan Town Hall around this time. I completed the World Cup and league edition that year.

I had the entire panini book for the 86 world cup apart from one Uraguay player.

You could sent away for particular players you didnt have so I sent away requesting that one....and they sent me the wrong player back!

I didnt bother trying again.
I remember in school people having these large bundles of cards, you would get them to flick through them at 100 miles an hour and say stop when it came to a card you needed. I think everyone knew what stickers they needed, even if they needed more than half the book.

I remember in school people having these large bundles of cards, you would get them to flick through them at 100 miles an hour and say stop when it came to a card you needed. I think everyone knew what stickers they needed, even if they needed more than half the book.

If you managed to get a card you were desperate to get it was a proper buzz.

Doublers!

I had, and completed, the plastic card album, which was kinda cardboard and most of the players were from the 84 Euros rather than the 86 WC squads.

edit: https://thefootballattic.blogspot.com/2015/10/panini-football-superstars-1984.html

I was at Govan Town Hall to complete Football88 a couple of years later, my uncle collected the WC86 stickers.

Enzo 'El Principe' Francescoli ran the line on his own for 88 minutes and was almost unplayable.

Typical Scotland, as someone above said, the players had had enough and wanted home. The SFA set up, Fergie being Fergie, missing Dalgleish and the Group of Death...

Yeah, but when they found out you were desperate for it, the cards value suddenly went through the roof, end up swapping 20 cards for that Coventry left back.

Yeah, but when they found out you were desperate for it, the cards value suddenly went through the roof, end up swapping 20 cards for that Coventry left back.

Yeah the key (honestly cant remember if i was good or shite at it) was to casually offer to swap for the one you were desperate for without letting on how much you needed it.

McCoist made his debut away to Holland in 0-0 draw before the WC.

Ferguson told him that he would be brought into the squad if any of the forward players withdrew.

Dalglish then withdrew citing injury (although it was rumoured he spat the dummy out due to Hansen’s exclusion) and Fergie called up Stevie Archibald.

Ally wasn’t happy and carried that grievance about for a bit.
Always remember Derek Johnstone started calling him "Ally two caps" after this game as he'd got his first and his last!

Used to go home for my lunch at primary school, on my way back I called into the shop to buy stickers(88 or 89 album) and found a Rangers badge foil sticker and Ally McCoist sticker. Got so excited I ran back home to show my dad, in return I got a slap and a right ballicking for not going straight back to school. :))

I remember as a kid my neighbours had a relative who went to Mexico as part of the scotland backroom staff.

He lived close by and we went to his house one day and he had a decent collection of football tops that had been swapped after international games.

Cant recall how he ended up with them exactly.

I remember as a kid my neighbours had a relative who went to Mexico as part of the scotland backroom staff.

He lived close by and we went to his house one day and he had a decent collection of football tops that had been swapped after international games.

Cant recall how he ended up with them exactly.

“Cant recall how he ended up with them exactly.”

That is quite a puzzle mate.

Mmm, hold on…. Eureka!!!

I’m willing to be it’s because he “went to Mexico as part of the scotland backroom staff.”

Stick with me Bud, I’m really good at figuring out things like this

:p:D:D

“Cant recall how he ended up with them exactly.”

That is quite a puzzle mate.

Mmm, hold on…. Eureka!!!

I’m willing to be it’s because he “went to Mexico as part of the scotland backroom staff.”

Stick with me Bud, I’m really good at figuring out things like this

:p:D:D

Ha!

I meant did the players who swapped the shirts maybe leave the tops in the dressing room afterwards and he scooped them up?

Or maybe the players just gave them to him.

The rumour about Johnston was that he misbehaved in Australia at the play off qualifier.Ernie Walker told Ferguson not to pick him for Scotland again as he was partying/smuggling local ladies into the team hotel.
That was the gossip at the time,how true it is,I don't know.
Ally made his debut for Scotland in a friendly away to the Netherlands that year, but Scotland had so many striking options at the time, in 1986 the form strikers prior to that tournament would have included Ally and John Robertson of Hearts.
Ferguson picked Steve Archibald, possibly because he knew him well from his time at Aberdeen, and to be fair, Archibald was first choice striker for Barcelona , had a lot of experience, including playing and scoring at the 1982 World Cup.
McCoist was supposedly close but was then anonymous in that friendly and the argument closed.

I'm guessing someone 15 years older than you would feel the same way too about players from the late 60s. I'm guessing the players now are actually better, and the amount of players playing in the Premier League that are Scottish would be similar if there was more movement of players back then.

a good few of that scotland team had won European trophies nowadays we have 1 player who's won a European trophy (off top of my head)

Footballs changed since then but in 86 we had players playing for teams competing at the top end of Europe football now we don't seem to have as many players at that level.

That was an incredible Denmark team.

Lerby, Morten Olson, Laudrup, Elkjaer, Jesper Olsen. Gave Uruguay an absolute doing, just ran out of steam in the latter stages.

a good few of that scotland team had won European trophies nowadays we have 1 player who's won a European trophy (off top of my head)

Footballs changed since then but in 86 we had players playing for teams competing at the top end of Europe football now we don't seem to have as many players at that level.
82 squad was better in that case.....younger Souness plus Hansen,Dalgliesh. Players from Villa, Forrest, Ipswich. Fairly sure that Strachan was included in the team of the group stages in foreign media.
Striker in 86 was Graeme Sharpe of Everton iirc

Weird how folk remember things differently. I agree on the aggression, constant movement and lack of skill but I think he was slow, cumbersome and about as threatening as a Cabbage Patch Kid.

Has as many international goals as me and you.
He didn’t have a bad games/goals ratio when he played in the old English First Division.
I always had the impression he was fast but after all this time in between I could be wrong.

As for me and international goals I scored quite a few down at the garages at the bottom of our street. :)

82 squad was better in that case.....younger Souness plus Hansen,Dalgliesh. Players from Villa, Forrest, Ipswich. Fairly sure that Strachan was included in the team of the group stages in foreign media.
Striker in 86 was Graeme Sharpe of Everton iirc

86 World Cup the was 1st one i remember, got a 2nd hand TV for my room and I was in my element with so much live football on tv :)

I just think the best South Americans and everyone else around the world weren't in Europe making it easier for Scottish people to get there.

Johnston got in bother in Australia in the play off game.

Only an excuse made a joke that he lent Ernie Walker his scud books when he had promised them to Alex Ferguson, so he got dropped.
Did Mo not have a party in his room, with loads of birds and loads of booze and we Ernie didn't get an invite?

I just think the best South Americans and everyone else around the world weren't in Europe making it easier for Scottish people to get there.

could be right there is no metric to judge it but just looking at that sqaud and comparing it to Scotlands sqaud these days then first observation is that is it miles better.

Stevie Nicol, was known to have the biggest feet in football size 12
Size 11 in boots gave him blisters.
Came from Troon, not sure what school.

There were some fantastic players in there and they should have done more. A few jobbers too. But some fantastic club players.

Back