Some of the post about our manager are ludicrous

Professor Yaffle

Official Ticketer
He's been compared to Warburton, Pedro, Murty and others which is ridiculous.

We need to remember he has raised the clubs profile considerably. He handles the media very well despite the continued onslaught of garbage questions. He's called out refs in the past and could do more of this.

His team have competed with Celtic in the games v them so far winning one and losing one.

Results against Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmarnock in particular have been disappointing and the most recent setback was certainly not acceptable but he knows that and it is obvious he was raging.

I think calling for his head at this stage is premature for a manager that has been managing top flight football for under a year.

The main issue is we cannot chop and change every season. We cannot afford to financially nor is constant change healthy for the club.

Our history was built on stability, standards and being sensible and success wasn't built on constant upheaval.

This season hasn't been acceptable in many ways. Results, referees, induvidual player errors, lack of fight in some games, inability to break down defensive minded sides at times but tolerance and sanity must surely by the way forward.

We also cannot afford to have huge player turnovers every summer though the weakest willed or those who are content with picking up a good wage whilst not giving a shit about results must be weeded out and replaced with players who want to play for the club, manager and fans.

The fans continue to turn up in huge numbers both home and away and I'd imagine this will continue but the fans are now a bit restless that a seaaon that had a bit of promise seems to be fizzling out.

I back the manager and he will continue to do so for now as I believe he is intelligent enough to know what is required to improve and the players that aren't up to the challenges that we face.

I hope the club have identified players of a certain standard though I don't see where Jordan Jones improves us and this sort of signing worries me as we need better than that though obviously not writing that lad off completely before he has kicked a ball for us.

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes and what funds our manager will have to spend and whether we will go down the loan route again and if Gerrard will ne given a bigger say on identifying and signing targets, something I believe that he is very keen on.

The most obvious thing is weak willed bottlers have no place at Rangers and the manager must identify and get shot asap hopefully raising funds in the process.

Is it Saturday yet? ,)

Last edited:
His signings have been poor overall, while his tactics/substitutions have been questionable.

On the plus side there has been some (though not marked) improvement.

He'll get one more season where he wont be expected to win the league but the improvement will need to be noticeable.

Let's sack a manager every 6 months eh
People that dont think we are on the right track under Gerrard have clearly forgot about successive 4 and 5 nil pumpings to the bheasts as he was announced.
This hasn't been a successful season by any stretch but the overall improvement is there.
Lets start judging Gerrard this time next year.
2 injury time winners for Celtic and 2 injury time equaliser against us is all that separates us in the league.

As he said himself at his presser on Tuesday night, it was his selection and tactics. He has to take the blame which he has. Simply being a handsome superstar does not mean that supporters can't question whether he's the right man to take us forward. Beating the scum shouldn't be a barometer of where we are as they were honking up to the break. We are absolutely right to question why we cannot beat HIVS, Dolly, Kilmarnock, St Johnstone, Livingston and Dundee at times this season. I however will persist with him but not forever. His reputation is on the line here along with ours.

The last couple of days on here have been painful. Ridiculously over the top reactions, we are all hurting but suggesting we get rid of the boss is all shades of wrong. Some of us need to think of where we have been since 2012 and be greatful we have a team 8 points adrift of the top of the league.

Aberdeen bullied and harassed the team, they disrupted our play what worries me is SG couldn’t see a way to change it. Mind you when all your players are shit scared to tackle because of card happy Clancy then what chance have you got.

McCrorie and Halliday should have been in that team to toughen it up.

I didn't want Gerrard from the start as he had no experience as a manager and that has shown in games with his tactics and substitutions, my only hope is he somehow turns it around but its the name Gerrard that's keeping him in a job, not anything he's done as a manager.

Just as well you were not about when Souness or even Smith stepped up.

Let's sack a manager every 6 months eh
People that dont think we are on the right track under Gerrard have clearly forgot about successive 4 and 5 nil pumpings to the bheasts as he was announced.
This hasn't been a successful season by any stretch but the overall improvement is there.
Lets start judging Gerrard this time next year.
2 injury time winners for Celtic and 2 injury time equaliser against us is all that separates us in the league.

Thats technically true but the difference in the quality of both squads is quite big. Despite having a mediocre season themselves, the mentally challengeds are still a long way ahead.

When everyone was saying what they would consider an acceptable season I said a strong finish on second and beat them at least once to show we can compete. So we are well on course to do that.

People saying we needed to win a cup, why? The cups aren't really a measure of progress are they? You could not lose a league game all season, finish second on goal difference to them, but have two stinkersin the cups and get knocked out both.

We have made progress, yes it could have been a lot better domestically but there is nothing to be gained in changing managers now. In terms of 'stopping ten' IMO it has to be Gerrard now. If we rip it up and start again then there won't be enough time for anyone else to turn it round.

When has Mediocrity been acceptable at this club.
That's now where the problem lies with our support.
We should never accept winning nothing.
We should never accept the scum getting a treble treble.
We need to get our Pride back as a club
Gerrard unfortunately is here for at least one season more.
The scum getting 10 in a row is unthinkable anyone think that's OK they don't care needs to take a look at themselves as that's not and should not Be acceptable

Half the games we've played this season have been a poor 5 out of 10 performance.
If we can raise our overall performances to 7 out of 10 for 80 percent of next seasons games it will be improvement.
Anything less than this is time to look at changing Manager and players.

I didn't want Gerrard from the start as he had no experience as a manager and that has shown in games with his tactics and substitutions, my only hope is he somehow turns it around but its the name Gerrard that's keeping him in a job, not anything he's done as a manager.
Who was your suggestion?

Its only natural that the Rangers manager is going to be compared to previous Rangers managers and other managers.
McCoist, Warburton and even Pedro handled the media well, pity none of them were successful football managers.
Too premature to call for his head? Some on here would still be arguing for more time and more money for the previous incompetents, those of us who called it on McCoist, Warburton and Pedro were subject to the same childish abuse as is being thrown out now at Gerrards critics.
It is only Gerrards reputation as a world class player that is stifling criticism, his track record as Rangers manager has not been good enough are there is no evidence to believe that he is 'learning' for a better challenge next season or the season after or the season after.
And as long as we appoint mangers who are unable, for various reasons, to deliver success and as long as we are trying to re build on the cheap we will continue to be in an 18 month cycle of new manager and major re builds.

We have only lost 8 games under Gerrard,our biggest problem this season has been draws in games where we should have won.that suggests to me we aren’t as far away as people seem to think we are.
Its inconsistency that killing our season we lurch from a good run of games to mediocre form even Motherwell had a six-game run in the league we have never managed that.

Anyone expecting success rather than progression this season is deluded.

9 months, yep 9 months the guy and his team have been here, look at the change in the club, forget about games and results for a moment and look at what he has done with the club in 9 months compared to how it looked 12 months ago.

The results will come and Gerrard will be a success and I will take great pleasure in saying 'I told you so'.

Fucked a few games for us like popping up with 3-5-2 away to Motherwell, or the Killie away game after the break where he shoehorned in new players rather than sticking with the boys that beat the paedos.
Needs to learn that a few minutes to go isn’t the right time to make a sub.
Needs to learn that some games require certain players, ie, should have played McCrorie against the sheep.
Love the guy, feel immense pride when I see him in our dugout, hope he learns.

He's definitely not without criticism but he needs time and "some" transfer windows. Not sure how many some is though.

I think he'll get it right.

By having an empty season, he's either made his job harder or he's justified the squad needs more quality

The scum getting 10 in a row is unthinkable anyone think that's OK they don't care needs to take a look at themselves as that's not and should not Be acceptable

Those in our support who pretend it doesn't matter or genuinely don't care about it give me the fear.

We have been through enough heartache without having to watch them "achieve" that as well.

I think we all thought after the break we would be pushing for the league and cup. I for one was excited by our signings and couldn't wait but we have stalled badly. I still think he is the man for the job but it's going to take time and we Rangers fans cant wait long for anything. This has been made worse since the attempted murder of our history. Back the manager and the team, that's our job!

He is the man who will deliver 55 he needs another 2 transfer windows at least and he will get it right and learn from his mistakes. He said himself there will be bumps in the road.

Did you miss us almost making the Europa League knockout stage when no one expected us to be in Europe past July?

We're quick to forget what he inherited. Progress has been slow with some great results and poor results. Is it not what we all signed up for in the summer when he took on what can only be described as a joke of a side?

Signings? Hit and miss but does Gerrard always carry the can? We're quick to praise MA as proof of our structure when they work afterall. Gerrard has vastly improved Morelos, Tavernier, Halliday, blooded Middleton and improved McCrorie. Often overlooked is not having Jamie Murphy - he's been a big miss and would have guaranteed us 10-15 goals from wide areas. It's meant an over reliance on the likes of Candeias who nobody can fault for effort but quality is sparse.

Overcoming Hibs and Aberdeen just once in 9 attempts doesn't bode well given 2 of them have involved cup exits but this reaction of setting fire to everything does nobody any good.

SG has to start the season well next year. I think he will and we'll be a lot closer.

I honestly don’t get this opinion of it’s his name

We’re competitive if not better in every game we play
Unlucky with some poor refereeing decisions
Which have clearly cost us upteam points

Yes ,we struggle to find the quality needed in some games
Yes ,his substitutions are questionable

8 draws which in at least 6 of them we hammered the teams
4 defeats I think is not to bad in March

Anyone that can’t see the improvement he’s brought to rangers in aff there nut

But he’ll be judged on success
As in trophy’s

An if these don’t come home ,I’d imagine he won’t last like any other managers before him

Thats technically true but the difference in the quality of both squads is quite big. Despite having a mediocre season themselves, the mentally challengeds are still a long way ahead.
That's 2 mediocre seasons they've had in a row which suggests they're not a million miles ahead.
No disputing they are still well ahead overall tho.

He's been compared to Warburton, Pedro, Murty and others which is ridiculous.

We need to remember he has raised the clubs profile considerably. He handles the media very well despite the continued onslaught of garbage questions. He's called out refs in the past and could do more of this.

His team have competed with Celtic in the games v them so fat winning one and losung one.

Results against Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmsrnock in particular have been disappointing and the most recent setback was certainly not acceptable but he knows that and it is obvious he was raging.

I think calling for his head at this stage is premature for a manager that has been managing top flight football for under a year.

The main issues is we cannot chop and change every season. We cannot afford to finsncially nor is constant change healthy for the club.

Our history was built on stability, standards and being sensible and success wasn't built on constant upheaval.

This season hasn't been acceptable in many ways. Results, referees, induvidual player errors, lack of fight in some games, inability to break down defensive minded sides at times but tolerance and sanity must surely by the way forward.

We also cannot afford to have huge player turnovers every summer though the weakest willed or those who are content with picking up a good wage whilst not giving a shit about results must be weeded out and replaced with players who want to play for the club, manager and fans.

The fans continue to turn up in huge numbers both home and away and I'd imagine this will continue but the fans are now a bit restless that a seaaon that had a bit of promise seems to be fizzling out.

I back the manager and he will continue to do so for now as I believe he is intelligent enough to know what is required to improve and the players that aren't up to the challenges that we face.

I hope the club have identified players of a certain standard though I don't see where Jordan Jones improves us and this sort of signing worries me as we need better than that though obviously not writing that lad off completely before he has kicked a ball for us.

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes and what funds our manager will have to spend and whether we will go down the loan route again and if Gerrard will ne given a bigger say on identifying and signing targets, something I believe that he is very keen on.

The most obvious thing is weak willed bottlers have no place at Rangers and the manager must identify and get shot asap hopefully raising funds in the process.

Is it Saturday yet? ,)

Great post

I don't think anyone is accepting mediocrity. But, I can accept facts. Our enemies tried to kill us and left us in the bottom tier of Scottish football with players pulling on a Rangers jersey who wouldn't get a game for the likes of Falkirk, we are back at the table with the best squad of players the club has had for 8 years. In less than a year this management team have put together a side playing the best football in the country. Granted, something is not right (yet). Two of our best footballing performances have come away to Hibs with no reward.
There is without doubt something going on with the way this club is treated in the MSM and on the pitch by referees. That needs addressing.
As for mediocrity, without the challenges of the Spivs, and before our team was hated by every team in Scotland I give you our league finish in the 7 years from 79/80, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th. Thank God we didn't have FF then.

NS

The last couple of days on here have been painful. Ridiculously over the top reactions, we are all hurting but suggesting we get rid of the boss is all shades of wrong. Some of us need to think of where we have been since 2012 and be greatful we have a team 8 points adrift of the top of the league.

Aberdeen bullied and harassed the team, they disrupted our play what worries me is SG couldn’t see a way to change it. Mind you when all your players are shit scared to tackle because of card happy Clancy then what chance have you got.

McCrorie and Halliday should have been in that team to toughen it up.
What can you actually do to stop an opponent breaking up play?

There is very little in the whole "its his name" thing, its a strawman argument created by people on here.

He is only liked because of "his name" some people actually say that, it's total bullshit that some have said oft enough they now think it to be true.

if anything at games "his name" adds to the pressure on him as there is a higher level of expectation - he is a conduit and a default for a lot of vocal frustration at games if we don't perform.

he is liked, enjoyed and people wish him to do well for the same reason they wanted Jimmy Nicholl to do well when he temporarily took charge - BECAUSE HE WAS MANAGING FUCKEN RANGERS.... and if Rangers do ok the fans do ok regardless of the name of the manager.

The name bit in that which matters to people is RANGERS.

Some on here act on the premise of total anger at all things, if they loose track of why others don't share their view they being to attempt to weave narratives and create false arguments to help build their points - its weird, totally weird.

Latest posts

Back