Some of the post about our manager are ludicrous

Its the vocal minority mate, keyboard warriors are a lot noisier than the real world mate. As you will find the odd character with Gerrard out patter or we miss Windass patter or sack McAllister in the pub or around you on matchday, even amongst friends there's always 1 who has these thoughts but it only ever is one. It would be extremely bad luck to be in the boozer with all of them at the same time!!

Win percentages

Murty 62%
Gerrard 52%

Winning 62% of your matches only matters if you aren't losing the other 38%. Win percentage is important, but it does not give any context to what is happening when you don't win.

loss percentages:

Murty 31%
Gerrard 15.6%

This for me sums us up under Gerrard. We haven’t managed to win the tight games that ended in draws. A few more of them converted to wins and we’d have been looking at a much different league table. Literally 3 goals could’ve had us 6 points better off. Extreme ifs and buts, however this shows me we aren’t as bad as a lot make out. If luck/decisions went our way we’d be in a great position.

The win% are redundant as they don't take into account the fixtures played when comparing Murty and Gerrard

One of them managed us through a shit load of European games, the other didn't.

I don't think anyone is accepting mediocrity. But, I can accept facts. Our enemies tried to kill us and left us in the bottom tier of Scottish football with players pulling on a Rangers jersey who wouldn't get a game for the likes of Falkirk, we are back at the table with the best squad of players the club has had for 8 years. In less than a year this management team have put together a side playing the best football in the country. Granted, something is not right (yet). Two of our best footballing performances have come away to Hibs with no reward.
There is without doubt something going on with the way this club is treated in the MSM and on the pitch by referees. That needs addressing.
As for mediocrity, without the challenges of the Spivs, and before our team was hated by every team in Scotland I give you our league finish in the 7 years from 79/80, 5th, 3rd, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 4th, 5th. Thank God we didn't have FF then.

NS
Could you imagine what this message board would have been like the day after we had got stuffed by chesterfield in the Anglo-Scottish cup:eek:

Who was your suggestion?
IIRC There was a lot who wanted Gary Rowett (sacked at Stoke) Garry Monk (sacked at Boro/midtable at Birmingham) Neil fucking Warnock! There was also a bit of chat at Dyche mainly due to being on an wage we could probably better but never a chance of poaching a EPL manager, Dyche is the only one in retrospect who wasn't a bat shit crazy idea ability wise but completely unobtainable. Im happy with Gerrard and hearing Michael Beale and McAllister I think the support team is superb

Facts are facts. This season has been a disaster.

Completely over the top that.

On course to finish 2nd for the first time since our return
Beat Celtic in the league for the first time in years
Made serious progress in Europe for the first time in years.
The only thing missing really was a cup and that would have been a terrific season if we are being realistic.

It's been frustrating because there was/is a chance to catch THEM if we were consistent enough but we are not quite ready yet.

There is very little in the whole "its his name" thing, its a strawman argument created by people on here.

He is only liked because of "his name" some people actually say that, it's total bullshit that some have said oft enough they now think it to be true.

if anything at games "his name" adds to the pressure on him as there is a higher level of expectation - he is a conduit and a default for a lot of vocal frustration at games if we don't perform.

he is liked, enjoyed and people wish him to do well for the same reason they wanted Jimmy Nicholl to do well when he temporarily took charge - BECAUSE HE WAS MANAGING FUCKEN RANGERS.... and if Rangers do ok the fans do ok regardless of the name of the manager.

The name bit in that which matters to people is RANGERS.

Some on here act on the premise of total anger at all things, if they loose track of why others don't share their view they being to attempt to weave narratives and create false arguments to help build their points - its weird, totally weird.
I feel your frustrations! Regardless f the managers name a very achievable 4 wins in 8 games and we better our points total since we got promoted, on top of navigating 14 very tough Euro games, yes a cup would have been exceptional and should have been obtainable but we are definitely progressing

Facts are facts. This season has been a disaster.
No it has not.
At the beginning of the season we’d, most level headed and realistic supporters, quite happily have accepted secon if we were much closer to the scum.
Some of the uber support might have demanded the league and a 100% record in doing so, being Rangers, we should win every game.
We need to look at where we’re coming from.
Next season winning the league should be a realistic target.

Well said.

He needs genuine quality now, 3 or 4. The rest are the squad players or player whos game improves with quality players being the new focus points.

At least quality spine.
CH, a new main man. Goldson and Katic being the ones fighting it out to be next to him.
CM, proper quality, who can drive the team forward.
Money from sales in the summer, Morelos I would assume and I would like to think the board would provide even more. We should be looking at a few £5m plus signings.

I think gerrard will get it right - provided we get the funds together and recruitment right in the summer.

Davis and Defoe in all reality weren’t needed in January, another option on the wing and an attacking midfielder were essential. We’re paying the price now for not improving/building on a side that we have seen produce good performances.

We’re a very good team on the break but struggle to break down teams that sit in like Aberdeen hence why we need more creative players.

Gerrard knows all this but he really needs to gamble more that must be his main area of improvement. He should have gambled and gone two up top at half time on Tuesday but he didn’t, he sent the same team out with the same tactics which failed miserably.

I’m still behind him but anyone saying they don’t have doubts is being disingenuous as far as I’m concerned.

I’m worried that he lacks the tactical nous.

Also, we were told early on in the season we would be a physical team that doesn’t get bullied. We’ve been bullied a few times this season.

This throwing away leads when we’ve been dominating is a constant feature this season as has been the failure to mount any real pressure as soon as we concede / go behind. It’s mental weakness.

Looks like both of you have jumped in feet first and got it wrong then.

Jumped in
Just pointing out that a man with no experience as manager started off a very successful period in our history.
Backed with far more resources than our current manager.
A very different climate in relation to who will come to Scotland to play.
It’s not as if he can go and buy 3 England International players and rip titles away from a settled opponent.
It takes time.

When has Mediocrity been acceptable at this club.
That's now where the problem lies with our support.
We should never accept winning nothing.
We should never accept the scum getting a treble treble.
We need to get our Pride back as a club
Gerrard unfortunately is here for at least one season more.
The scum getting 10 in a row is unthinkable anyone think that's OK they don't care needs to take a look at themselves as that's not and should not Be acceptable
Nobody has said treble/treble or this tainted '10' is acceptable. We will start winning things again and Gerrard must be backed as we don't want the managers job at Rangers to become a poisoned chalice.

He's been compared to Warburton, Pedro, Murty and others which is ridiculous.

We need to remember he has raised the clubs profile considerably. He handles the media very well despite the continued onslaught of garbage questions. He's called out refs in the past and could do more of this.

His team have competed with Celtic in the games v them so fat winning one and losung one.

Results against Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmsrnock in particular have been disappointing and the most recent setback was certainly not acceptable but he knows that and it is obvious he was raging.

I think calling for his head at this stage is premature for a manager that has been managing top flight football for under a year.

The main issues is we cannot chop and change every season. We cannot afford to finsncially nor is constant change healthy for the club.

Our history was built on stability, standards and being sensible and success wasn't built on constant upheaval.

This season hasn't been acceptable in many ways. Results, referees, induvidual player errors, lack of fight in some games, inability to break down defensive minded sides at times but tolerance and sanity must surely by the way forward.

We also cannot afford to have huge player turnovers every summer though the weakest willed or those who are content with picking up a good wage whilst not giving a shit about results must be weeded out and replaced with players who want to play for the club, manager and fans.

The fans continue to turn up in huge numbers both home and away and I'd imagine this will continue but the fans are now a bit restless that a seaaon that had a bit of promise seems to be fizzling out.

I back the manager and he will continue to do so for now as I believe he is intelligent enough to know what is required to improve and the players that aren't up to the challenges that we face.

I hope the club have identified players of a certain standard though I don't see where Jordan Jones improves us and this sort of signing worries me as we need better than that though obviously not writing that lad off completely before he has kicked a ball for us.

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes and what funds our manager will have to spend and whether we will go down the loan route again and if Gerrard will ne given a bigger say on identifying and signing targets, something I believe that he is very keen on.

The most obvious thing is weak willed bottlers have no place at Rangers and the manager must identify and get shot asap hopefully raising funds in the process.

Is it Saturday yet? ,)
A lot of posters in my work are mentally challengeds on here at the mix

I think the op is clutching at straws. Handles the media well and raised our profile. Our season has been terrible but the manager can answer a question well so its all ok
Anyone else would be getting slaughtered. I want him to succeed but he has shown nothing to say he will. Give him one more season but if its anything like this one then he needs to go

Thats technically true but the difference in the quality of both squads is quite big. Despite having a mediocre season themselves, the mentally challengeds are still a long way ahead.
They're not really. Load of overrated and overhyped sheit in their ranks and they can definitely be got at and overcome if we get our own house in order regarding tactics and mentality.

Players like McGregor and Tierney are only superstars in the eyes of the mhedia. Their defence is a bombscare overall and we should have nothing to fear

Jumped in
Just pointing out that a man with no experience as manager started off a very successful period in our history.
Backed with far more resources than our current manager.
A very different climate in relation to who will come to Scotland to play.
It’s not as if he can go and buy 3 England International players and rip titles away from a settled opponent.
It takes time.

How can you compare Souness a time with money to spend aplenty and a time when the best England players can sign due to their ban from European football.

Gerrard has a lot harder job and he doesn't have a Walter Smith either. You also seem to suggest I was a young guy I have posted on here since the forum had threaded replies any old timer will remember that.

How can you compare Souness a time with money to spend aplenty and a time when the best England players can sign due to their ban from European football.

Gerrard has a lot harder job and he doesn't have a Walter Smith either. You also seem to suggest I was a young guy I have posted on here since the forum had threaded replies any old timer will remember that.

He's been compared to Warburton, Pedro, Murty and others which is ridiculous.

We need to remember he has raised the clubs profile considerably. He handles the media very well despite the continued onslaught of garbage questions. He's called out refs in the past and could do more of this.

His team have competed with Celtic in the games v them so fat winning one and losung one.

Results against Aberdeen, Hibs and Kilmsrnock in particular have been disappointing and the most recent setback was certainly not acceptable but he knows that and it is obvious he was raging.

I think calling for his head at this stage is premature for a manager that has been managing top flight football for under a year.

The main issues is we cannot chop and change every season. We cannot afford to finsncially nor is constant change healthy for the club.

Our history was built on stability, standards and being sensible and success wasn't built on constant upheaval.

This season hasn't been acceptable in many ways. Results, referees, induvidual player errors, lack of fight in some games, inability to break down defensive minded sides at times but tolerance and sanity must surely by the way forward.

We also cannot afford to have huge player turnovers every summer though the weakest willed or those who are content with picking up a good wage whilst not giving a shit about results must be weeded out and replaced with players who want to play for the club, manager and fans.

The fans continue to turn up in huge numbers both home and away and I'd imagine this will continue but the fans are now a bit restless that a seaaon that had a bit of promise seems to be fizzling out.

I back the manager and he will continue to do so for now as I believe he is intelligent enough to know what is required to improve and the players that aren't up to the challenges that we face.

I hope the club have identified players of a certain standard though I don't see where Jordan Jones improves us and this sort of signing worries me as we need better than that though obviously not writing that lad off completely before he has kicked a ball for us.

It will be interesting to see who stays and who goes and what funds our manager will have to spend and whether we will go down the loan route again and if Gerrard will ne given a bigger say on identifying and signing targets, something I believe that he is very keen on.

The most obvious thing is weak willed bottlers have no place at Rangers and the manager must identify and get shot asap hopefully raising funds in the process.

Is it Saturday yet? ,)

Well said.

Some fans are idiots tbh and do our club more harm than good.

This poisonous atmosphere some of them seem to take pride in creating at Ibrox must end. Our best performances of season have been when fans have been behind team. It's no coincidence.

@SmileyBear
Clicked the send button by mistake.
That’s the point I’m making SG job is much more difficult than the one Souness took on.
Yet quite a few are not prepared to give him a chance.
Everything must be instant.

@SmileyBear
Clicked the send button by mistake.
That’s the point I’m making SG job is much more difficult than the one Souness took on.
Yet quite a few are not prepared to give him a chance.
Everything must be instant.

Gerrard for me has to get next season I am critical of him and his tactics but I do not expect him to learn to be a Rangers manager in nine months.

When has Mediocrity been acceptable at this club.
That's now where the problem lies with our support.
We should never accept winning nothing.
We should never accept the scum getting a treble treble.
We need to get our Pride back as a club
Gerrard unfortunately is here for at least one season more.
The scum getting 10 in a row is unthinkable anyone think that's OK they don't care needs to take a look at themselves as that's not and should not Be acceptable

I don't get this thinking.

'We should demand everything is fixed and sorted immediately to ensure success as we're Rangers'

No context or understanding of how difficult it is going to be for us to get to where we were.

I didn't want Gerrard from the start as he had no experience as a manager and that has shown in games with his tactics and substitutions, my only hope is he somehow turns it around but its the name Gerrard that's keeping him in a job, not anything he's done as a manager.
Flip side, if we take the last two games as an example, if the refs had been on the ball and done their job correctly, SG would be being lauded. Quite correctly.

Over the piece, SG has, for me, still got pass marks.

Its the vocal minority mate, keyboard warriors are a lot noisier than the real world mate. As you will find the odd character with Gerrard out patter or we miss Windass patter or sack McAllister in the pub or around you on matchday, even amongst friends there's always 1 who has these thoughts but it only ever is one. It would be extremely bad luck to be in the boozer with all of them at the same time!!
Keyboard warriors FFS, don’t think social media is for you, what with all us bad people and our nasty opinions.

Flip side, if we take the last two games as an example, if the refs had been on the ball and done their job correctly, SG would be being lauded. Quite correctly.

Over the piece, SG has, for me, still got pass marks.

Hit or miss for me Euro run excellent and unexpected, league form patchy, but he is learning to be a manager.
Still has to get next year but it will be a tough year if he gets poor results in the run in.

Win percentages

Murty 62%
Gerrard 52%

Winning 62% of your matches only matters if you aren't losing the other 38%. Win percentage is important, but it does not give any context to what is happening when you don't win.

loss percentages:

Murty 31%
Gerrard 15.6%

This for me sums us up under Gerrard. We haven’t managed to win the tight games that ended in draws. A few more of them converted to wins and we’d have been looking at a much different league table. Literally 3 goals could’ve had us 6 points better off. Extreme ifs and buts, however this shows me we aren’t as bad as a lot make out. If luck/decisions went our way we’d be in a great position.

It shows progress mate. Gerrard has got rid of that horrible soft centre we've had since Warburton.

Next step is to add that quality to the team who'll turn those draws into wins.

A foundation has been laid by Gerrard and his team that we can build from for next season. We have not had that in a very long time.

It shows progress mate. Gerrard has got rid of that horrible soft centre we've had since Warburton.

We get manhandled by Aberdeen Hibs and others

Next step is to add that quality to the team who'll turn those draws into wins.

A foundation has been laid by Gerrard and his team that we can build from for next season. We have not had that in a very long time.

Who do you think is in the foundation that can be built upon?

The managers transfer record does not give me confidence that he should be handed a 20 mil' check for next season's 'quality' players

Who do you think is in the foundation that can be built upon?

The managers transfer record does not give me confidence that he should be handed a 20 mil' check for next season's 'quality' players

The foundations is our loss percentage is a low as Smith's was. Our team is solid and difficult to beat. This season was the first step to building a team that can challenge.

We're well on our way to do that.

I think the op is clutching at straws. Handles the media well and raised our profile. Our season has been terrible but the manager can answer a question well so its all ok
Anyone else would be getting slaughtered. I want him to succeed but he has shown nothing to say he will. Give him one more season but if its anything like this one then he needs to go
Laughable.

The bits about media are correct. Where does the op say the results or season is acceptable.

Im quite sure he's saying it is disappointing.

Certainly no straw clutching from where I'm sitting but maybe you'd like dogs barking at caravans and forward rolls on the touchline and public humiliations of players to return?

The foundations is our loss percentage is a low as Smith's was. Our team is solid and difficult to beat. This season was the first step to building a team that can challenge.

We're well on our way to do that.

so which players do you see as part of that foundation and will be part of that challenge?

Laughable.

The bits about media are correct. Where does the op say the results or season is acceptable.

Im quite sure he's saying it is disappointing.

Certainly no straw clutching from where I'm sitting but maybe you'd like dogs barking at caravans and forward rolls on the touchline and public humiliations of players to return?
I want results to return. I keep hearing Gerrard is the man to take us forward. I have seen nothing to make me believe that.
Have you?

I want results to return. I keep hearing Gerrard is the man to take us forward. I have seen nothing to make me believe that.
Have you?

Bits. A good start. Some of Europe. Beating them.

How many results have we been swindled out of also?

It aint perfect. I'd change captain for a start.

Some posts are nonsense, some posts are truthful.

We've been here before with Warburton, Caixihna and Murty - "he needs a chance" and then we give it too long, and need to rebuilt yet again, my fear is that's exactly going to happen now under Gerrard too, so excuse me for not fully being on-board.

Point wise he's slightly worse than last season, and helped by Celtic dropping points that the gap isn't as big.

He's got til October IMO, if we aren't top of a few points off, he's should go.

this place has went mental and goes from one extreme to another result by result, i personally see progress and now we must focus on consistency, start of season everyone is happy to talk about giving him and the players time and patience

Let's sack a manager every 6 months eh
People that dont think we are on the right track under Gerrard have clearly forgot about successive 4 and 5 nil pumpings to the bheasts as he was announced.
This hasn't been a successful season by any stretch but the overall improvement is there.
Lets start judging Gerrard this time next year.
2 injury time winners for Celtic and 2 injury time equaliser against us is all that separates us in the league.

Sacking managers every six months or season isn't the answer.

However using the result of a one off game against celtic as a measure of success is way off the mark.

Look at our results against our other top six competitors and decide if it is clear progress.

Aberdeen last season we won 3 drew 1, this season we have won 1 out of 3 and been put out both cups by them.

Kilmarnock last season we won 1 out of 4 in the league, this season 0 out of 3 in league.

Hibs last season we won 2, drew 1 lost 1, this season no league wins in 3.

Hearts last season 3 wins 1 draw out of 4, this season 2 wins out of 2.

Can someone please explain where this is progress.

Last season if we won all 4 games instead of 3 defeats and a draw against celtic we would have finished level with them. This season I don't think 4 out of 4 would give us the same outcome going on our inconsistency.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
This "disastrous transfer" activity doesn't ring true with me either.

Happy with Shagger, great signing.
Barisic, I think will come good, wand of a left foot,
Goldson, very good player, tired at the moment but probably the best CB in Scotland,
Worral, tbh just can't warm to him, don't know why.
Katic, still think this lad is a talent.
Kamara, could turn out to be Scotlands POTY next year
Arfield good player, we need better but good player
Murphy, without doubt he would have been worth 6 points on our total to date, good signing unlucky.
Kent, on loan but exciting
Defoe, worth having around

No value for me are

Sadiq, Flanagan (though I thought he was a steal), Ejaria. Couibaly

Don't know yet,

Lafferty, Davis,

this place has went mental and goes from one extreme to another result by result, i personally see progress and now we must focus on consistency, start of season everyone is happy to talk about giving him and the players time and patience

I don't think it true to be honest Gerrard has been fairly treated on here if it had been someone else he would have been a lot worse than what we are currently seeing.
He will still need at least another season but with a tough run of games coming up we could see absolute carnage in here if we do not get positive results.

Back