Some South American Players on the Move

drgriffen

Argentinian centre backs seem to be moving for a lot of money which is a surprise when you consider how bad they are at National level:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cristian_Romero_(footballer,_born_1998)

Exciting prospect, Jan Hurtado, will be leaving Gimnasia, it just depends where:

https://www.football-italia.net/140581/genoa-agree-hurtado-fee

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Carlos_Hurtado

Luis Diaz moving to Porto:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luis_Díaz_(Colombian_footballer)

What’s your thoughts on a exequiel palacios transfer to arsenal or Real Madrid?

I really enjoy your posts, mate. Crazy the money footballers get based on nationality, rather than ability. I don't pay much attention to South American football, and only tend to support Ecuadorian teams when they get to the international level, like deportivo de la valle or delfín.

What’s your thoughts on a exequiel palacios transfer to arsenal or Real Madrid?

He's a really good prospect and if it wasn't for injury would have been at the Copa and possibly Madrid - apparently they pulled out of the deal when this happened and then changed priorities with the new manager.

Arsenal would be a really good move for him, but I don't see him as the player they need to take them to the next level. Over time he could develop into this role, though. There is talk of Atletico Madrid now being interested as well.

As a player it would probably be better for him to go to a team below this level so he could get regular games, but I'd be surprised if Arsenal (if he goes there) did this.

I really enjoy your posts, mate. Crazy the money footballers get based on nationality, rather than ability. I don't pay much attention to South American football, and only tend to support Ecuadorian teams when they get to the international level, like deportivo de la valle or delfín.

Thank you.

I don't watch much league football in Ecuador but their U20 team is the best in South America. You've probably seen me raving about Campana and Cifuentes looks a real prospect. There are lots of good quality bargains to be had there (and Colombia) - the player Celtic might sign, Quintero, would cost a hell of a lot more if he was Brazilian or Argentinian.

Thank you.

I don't watch much league football in Ecuador but their U20 team is the best in South America. You've probably seen me raving about Campana and Cifuentes looks a real prospect. There are lots of good quality bargains to be had there (and Colombia) - the player Celtic might sign, Quintero, would cost a hell of a lot more if he was Brazilian or Argentinian.

Exactly, mate. A player from an unfashionable nation, such as Ecuador, Bolivia, and even Perú, after their recent progression, will always be valued less than a Brazilian, Argentinian, or even Uruguayan or Chilean player. European influence I guess.

I actually teach English to some Ecuadorian footballers. I'm hoping it can expand. The FEF are involved in an institute in the training of coaches, but they have never targeted players.

It was possibly the biggest news I've ever seen, bar Chucho's death.

Posted the Valencia news before reading your reply - obviously you woud know. :))

It would be a real asset for the young players coming through, and there is some real talent, if they could speak (some) English. Only a small thing but it may help swing a move to England.

Good luck with the teaching.

LDU Quito punched far beyond their weight for a couple of years.

I was gonna expand on this, but meh... Ha ha

He's had his ups and downs during his career but they recruited well getting Bauza. He's not held in such high esteem now, bombed with Argentina, but what he did with LDU was fantastic. Shows what can happen if you get a good coach who can set things up properly.

LDU did well to get out of their group. Obviously, will help being at altitude but finishing above Penarol deserves credit. Will be tough against Olimpia but they have a chance.

Will be tough for Emelec against Flamengo.

The boy Pavon from Boca has been quite heavily linked to LA Galaxy. Is he any good?

Since the start of the year he's had a dramatic dip in form (partly due to injury). Prior to the Libertadores final he was tipped for a big money ($35m+) move to Europe - he had been playing really well. If they sold him now they wont get close to that. He still has time to regain that form, maybe a move to the US would help, and show the talent he has.

Boca have supposedly rejected a €12m bid from Marseille for Dario Benedetto. Was in brilliant form prior to a bad knee injury. He's 29 and has a buyout clause of €21m so it would surprise me if he was to leave, for that fee. Whilst he is a different type of striker to Morelos he is an interesting comparison with regards the fee and what we should be looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darío_Benedetto

I think we need to explore that continent more.

Some good players over the years we have had Canniga, Amato and Morelos

Boca have supposedly rejected a €12m bid from Marseille for Dario Benedetto. Was in brilliant form prior to a bad knee injury. He's 29 and has a buyout clause of €21m so it would surprise me if he was to leave, for that fee. Whilst he is a different type of striker to Morelos he is an interesting comparison with regards the fee and what we should be looking for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darío_Benedetto

Benedetto's agent Cristian Bragarnik confirms a deal with Marseille from the player's side is done... "I can speak on behalf of the player that we've reached an agreement so Boca and Marseille must now evaluate the transfer between the clubs which doesn't concern me."

Brazilian teams turning down bids of £20m :eek:
I take it the Brazilian economy is pretty decent, or they feel they have the next next next big thing

Am I right in saying that we'd struggle to sign players from South America due to work permit issues (unless they were already full internationalists?)

Quick look at his Wikipedia says he holds dual nationality (German) due to his grandfather though.

Not a surprise.

A lot of South Americans have access to an EU passport and if they don't it isn't that hard to get a work permit for Scotland - if it is felt they will improve the game here then they are likely to get a permit on appeal.

Can't read that in work as it's blocked, will have a swatch later.

Was shocked when he moved and figured it was him that wanted the move, maybe not.

Cagliari are back in for Boca's Nahitan Nandez. Fee will be approaching €20m for 70% - 30% belongs to the player's representatives.

Boca would prefer this and the Benedetto deals to go through after their Libertadores tie with Atletico Paranaense.

Boca Juniors’ Colombian international winger Villa has been linked with a €15m move to Real Betis with French club Brest also monitoring the situation.

Last edited:
Back