Some Thoughts On Aribo

I won't lie, when he 1st joined I thought he was lazy and a player who played only when he felt like it, but hees totally grew into the role and I don't think I've seen him score a bad goal for us.. its a shame we allowed or couldn't get him on a bit longer contract because in todays market hees worth double and a bit more than we will get for him.. Southampton will be a decent move for him.. no pressure play well and catch the eye of a bigger club

If we get £10m for him in his final year that isnt too bad in terms of overall profit but it would have been more but for the clause. Comparing that to the meagre Edouard profit they made then it seems reasonable indeed for a player that although could be really good at times, he could also go missing for entire parts of the season.

He was a great footballer and always excited when he got on the ball. Lacked a bit of consistency and should have scored more, but I def think Gio got the best of him while he was here. I wish him well, he’ll do well in the EPL.

When you see good players going to clubs like Southampton even though you know it's a stepping stone to a bigger club if he does well. it sickens you a bit.
You can see why they want to play in a better league all the same.

He’s been a good player for us, but not great across a whole season, as someone in the attacking 3rd for us he’s never felt like a regular match winner that someone in that position should be. He’s given me 2 of the greatest moments of my life in the Braga and Frankfurt goals, but I don’t think I will feel he is missed for long. I wish him well, but given his inconsistency and low goalscoring, I think propel expecting a big move after Southampton would be better tempering their expectations

I am not sure Aribo will kick on much more from where he is currently. He does lack consistency understandable given the number of games asked of him. Not sure we will see any return from a further sell on clause.

However think we have had the best of him. It has been good and he is a player I love to watch his control is superb.

We can though replace him and we should. He goes with very fond memories and best wishes.

He's been a brilliant player for us. Low cost, exciting to watch, gave us some of the most iconic moments. From Aug to Dec last year he was almost unplayable. Fatigue caught up with him.

Last year of contract and making decent money on him. This is the way we should be doing business.

Good luck in the PL, Joe.

A really good footballer and, at times, an absolute joy to watch. Sad to see him go, but we can't keep them all.
Hope he hits the ground running down there.

Aribos first touch and close control is one of the best I have watched especially for a big guy, if he does leave then yes he leaves with all our best wishes.
Personally though if a player does not want to be at rangers, then I don’t want them at my club, you need to want it, I’m not looking for staunch points, that is my opinion

His development was good for him and good for us. Will always be a part of our club. Goes with our best wishes and thanks

He was a great footballer and always excited when he got on the ball. Lacked a bit of consistency and should have scored more, but I def think Gio got the best of him while he was here. I wish him well, he’ll do well in the EPL.
That description fits more than Joe Aribo.

I would expect a replacement for Aribo if he goes rather than Lowry simply taking his minutes, that is a hell of an ask, Aribo has been as important a player as any the last couple of seasons.

I like him, I think there’s more in there but the lad is so chilled out that he isn’t pushing himself to turn it on every single match.
Very talented player, I wish he would be a bit more gallus with it.

Handy that he’s gone to the South Coast of England though…. It’s the closest he’ll get to Europe for a while! :D

Aribo is a Gerrad legacy player and is one a of a few who needs to move on. I'm not fussed by it.

I would even go so far Kamara and Kent could be in that same bracket

A very gifted player, gutted to see him go but agree with the OP now is the right time and we need the money to bring in new players. Southampton is a good move for him I wish him all the best.

Gives us the chance to replace him with a more consistent player.

Southampton will be a perfect club for him, not expected to win every single game. He was at his best for us when we were the underdog.
If we replace him with like for like quality we will be doing well. Believe that.

When your career is finished and you look back, you will tell your grandkids about playing for the Famous Glasgow Rangers and that was the pinnacle of your career. You likely won’t even mention that you also played for Southampton

There’s usually a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff as well as the eye-catching, low transfer fee when it comes to deals like this.

I think the club have mentioned this before.

Arent agent fees and a signing bonus to the player part of all transfers, though? They arent usually listed as part of the announced "transfer fee".Are there are other fees that are out of the ordinary, or are they really high in this case?

Agree with everything OP said as well as other comment about still not 100% sure of best position and feel he seemed to be kicking on to another level all together a couple of times but derailed by injury once and AFCON the other.

3 years, about 150 games, silverware, some great individual memories, never did anything to embarrass or annoy the club or supporters, nice guy and makes us one of the biggest profits we've ever made on a player when he leaves. An absolutely idea signing and career.

He’s a likeable guy. Has done a decent job for us and we’ve made a really good profit (if he goes)

Just wish he had confidence. You see glimpses of how good he is at taking players on (Braga in 2020 at Ibrox prime example) I always felt he just lacked the self belief to do it in on a regular basis.

Like yourself he goes with my best wishes.

This would be my concern with him in the EPL, a new league in a new team. He really took his time to build up his confidence at Rangers and even then he occasionally looked like a rabbit in headlights at times.

He seems like the type of guy that if things don't start well for him and he gets benched for example, it could have a big impact on his confidence.

Arent agent fees and a signing bonus to the player part of all transfers, though? They arent usually listed as part of the announced "transfer fee".Are there are other fees that are out of the ordinary, or are they really high in this case?
They are, but they get inflated when the player sound on a Bosman. Hence why more, and more players are running down their contracts now.

With Aribo being a highly sought after young player, I imagine his fee/agent fee was higher than most signings we make.

A very good footballer who has form has dropped at times but he has played a hell of a lot of football for us, he won’t be playing near as many games for Southampton (very little cup games and no Europe) but sure he will enjoy playing against better plaers and will enjoy the extra money.

We move on as we always do

There were a couple of periods when he was fantastic.

In 19/20 when we pushed up higher on the right, his goal against Hibs in December is still brilliant.

When he played as a '10' when GVB came in until the early Winter Break he was the best player in the country.

Really good on his day, frustrating on others. Goes with our best wishes and we move on.

I think of all our players last season he had the hardest shift and it showed at times in the last quarter of the season - you can't play that amount of top level games and be anywhere near effective.

If we get £10 million, given his contract situation then that is great business. He may keep improving but then again after that long season I was always kind of worried we would never see the best of him again consistently.

I like Aribo as a player, he’s got that wee bit of something about him where he can pull off something special, that being said, he has a tendency to go missing when games turn into a bit of a war.

Wish him all the best if he goes. Hopefully Hagi can fill his role.

They are, but they get inflated when the player sound on a Bosman. Hence why more, and more players are running down their contracts now.

With Aribo being a highly sought after young player, I imagine his fee/agent fee was higher than most signings we make.

That's what I thought, but when $2 million to get it over the line is quoted, how much of of that would be a normal part of any transfer anyway and is never quoted. E.G. is it 2m above the normal amount you would expect us to pay in transfers, or $1.2 m because most transfers incur $800k in agent fees and signing bonuses etc. To me that would be the true "cost" of his original signing - just trying to get a feel for applying like for like.

Or we could just do it the MSM method of reporting on Celtic transfers. It's a $2m deal when he sign cos they ur pure rich and spending mullyins on the squad. And $300k when he leaves cos they are pure brilliant business men and that and made mullyins on an offer they couldn't refuse of a player who only cost $300k.

He gave Rangers fans one of the greatest moments that most of us will have witnessed in one way or another. He gave us a feeling of sheer elation that might never be matched.

For that, he goes with my best wishes.

On his day he’s as skill full as anyone down south, and he’s got the talent to back it up. A great football player who’s still got plenty in the tank.

why on earth would you leave us for Southampton, I understand the wage they can give him compared to us but that’s all they can give him, a nothing club where a draw is a success in a boring stadium , surely wages especially when he’ll be on good money with us can’t be more important than the intensity ,the atmospheres at Ibrox and occasions playing with us brings

why on earth would you leave us for Southampton, I understand the wage they can give him compared to us but , that’s all they can give him, a nothing club that a draw is a success in a boring stadium , surely wages especially when he’ll be on good money with us can’t be more important than the intensity and atmospheres at Ibrox playing with us brings

There’s not many players have left our club to go on to bigger and better things on a sporting merit/perspective. Lots have left for more money but hardly any moved on to play for a team and compete/win trophies.

Only Gattuso and our current gaffer are ones I can think of who moved on to bigger / better sporting careers.

There’s not many players have left our club to go on to bigger and better things on a sporting merit/perspective. Lots have left for more money but hardly any moved on to play for a team and compete/win trophies.

Only Gattuso and our current gaffer are ones I can think of who moved on to bigger / better sporting careers.
Aye that’s the only two I can think of too mate

I’m really disappointed at Aribo leaving but I fully accept it would be sooner rather than later.

I was extremely disappointed to find out about the release clause of £10m because he’s worth far more than that.

I don’t think I’ve seen a player with a better first touch in many years, and his close control and goal threat make him a very valuable player.

He could go to Southampton, play well and then be sold on for easily four to five times that after one season.

To then find out it’s going to be £6m then possibly topped up to £10m seems extremely short sighted. For Southampton it’s a ridiculous bargain.

Haven't read everything today, but where's the 10 million coming from, everywhere seems to be saying 6 plus add-ons ?

6 million is too low and (imho) sets a bad precedent for the type of fees we might get for our other top players

I’m pretty chilled about the prospect of Joe Aribo leaving.

He’s worth more than reputed £10million figure people are mentioning, but he was worth more than the circa. £2m or so (all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him.
And if such a release clause helped us land him, then so be it.

Another thing to consider is how many games he played last season. Who’s to say he wouldn’t struggle badly with burnout this season?
Is there not the African Cup thing to come in January, too?

I feel like the time is right for the move.
We’ve been brilliant for Aribo, and he’s been brilliant for us.

That said, out of the three players who have a year left on their deals, Aribo is definitely the one I’d be most comfortable selling.

If he goes, he goes with my very best of wishes and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Cheers, Joe.
He was always going to move on at some point. The point you make about burnout is definitely very valid. Like you say, Rangers and Joe have been great for each other. His goal in Seville gave me, arguably, my best ever’ Rangers moment’ and, for that, I will always regard him warmly and wish him nothing but the very best for his career wherever it may take him.

I’m pretty chilled about the prospect of Joe Aribo leaving.

He’s worth more than reputed £10million figure people are mentioning, but he was worth more than the circa. £2m or so (all in, there was much more to this deal than the low transfer fee ) it cost us to capture him.
And if such a release clause helped us land him, then so be it.

Another thing to consider is how many games he played last season. Who’s to say he wouldn’t struggle badly with burnout this season?
Is there not the African Cup thing to come in January, too?

I feel like the time is right for the move.
We’ve been brilliant for Aribo, and he’s been brilliant for us.

That said, out of the three players who have a year left on their deals, Aribo is definitely the one I’d be most comfortable selling.

If he goes, he goes with my very best of wishes and thanks for some wonderful memories.

Cheers, Joe.
Agree with everything you say.

Back