Something positive about an Ex Player

Robert Marshall

I don't normally post personal things about myself but seeing all these negative comments about ex players make me realise that the vast majority of our fans have no idea how generous some of these players are with their time and in some cases their money.
About a year ago Arthur Numan was doing a Q and A for us in The Louden, at the end of the raffle he says that he has another 'prize'. At the time, I thought it would be something like a book signed.
He comes out with this ' next number out will have a trip to Amsterdam for two people to see a game, all expenses paid, including flights and hotel.'
I later found out he had done the same thing at another two Q and A's and had actually paid for 6 people to visit Holland. The cost would have been more than he took for the 3 nights.
He was on at me for a year to go over because' I had treated the players so well and helped with setting up Q and A for a lot of them'.
Eventually, I run out of excuses not to go and he invited me over Friday past, His hospitality was second to none and even chartered a private barge so we could see Amsterdam as the light faded.
He truly is a top man and maybe people should realise that ex players do a lot behind the scenes that no one realises.
I could give you plenty of other instances where ex players give up their time

I don't normally post personal things about myself but seeing all these negative comments about ex players make me realise that the vast majority of our fans have no idea how generous some of these players are with their time and in some cases their money.
About a year ago Arthur Numan was doing a Q and A for us in The Louden, at the end of the raffle he says that he has another 'prize'. At the time, I thought it would be something like a book signed.
He comes out with this ' next number out will have a trip to Amsterdam to see a game, all expenses paid, including flights and hotel.'
I later found out he had done the same thing at another two Q and A's and had actually paid for 6 people to visit Holland. The cost would have been more than he took for the 3 nights.
He was on at me for a year to go over because' I had treated the players so well and helped with setting up Q and A for a lot of them'.
Eventually, I run out of excuses not to go and he invited me over Friday past, His hospitality was second to none and even chartered a private barge so we could see Amsterdam as the light faded.
He truly is a top man and maybe people should realise that ex players do a lot behind the scenes that no one realises.

Numan is a complete gent.

I watch quite a lot of interviews and podcasts with celebrities/sportspersons and I think with quite a few you can tell if they’d be decent people in everyday life. Arthur is definitely one of those you know is a decent fella in everyday life. I’ll also be forever thankful to him for scoring the equaliser in my first ever old firm.

The blanket statements, either way, are idiotic.

For every Numan there is a Goram.

We shouldn’t dislike all ex players, and we shouldn’t love all former players just because they played for Rangers.

Playing for Rangers is one of the greatest privileges you will ever get. Some of these guys would do well to remember it.

Arthur Numan is a class act. I doubt anyone had a bad story about Numan.

Had your story been Butcher for example, then maybe it buys him a bit more credibility. Not in my eyes, but in others.

Butcher acts more like a former mentally challenged than he does Rangers great.

Nice story mate, always liked Arthur Numan he seems a genuine fella. Some people just love to hate, there is no denying that. The abuse that is directed to some of our ex players on here is over the top at times, players that gave us some very happy times aswell. Everybody is entitled together opinion I just feel it's best not to post it for Lurkers/mentally challengeds to sit and laugh at us slating each other.

Arthur always has time for the fans.
The 4-2 game in 2011 against the filth, he was the last man out of the corner because he made sure everyone who wanted one got a picture or autograph.

To save it just becoming all about Numan, Big Marvin giving his shirt from helicopter sunday to the RSEA recently was some gesture.

He comes out with this ' next number out will have a trip to Amsterdam for two people to see a game, all expenses paid, including flights and hotel.'
Great to hear.
The club and support are privileged to have Arthur Numan as part of the family.
A gentleman who carries himself like a prince.

Arthur always has time for the fans.
The 4-2 game in 2011 against the filth, he was the last man out of the corner because he made sure everyone who wanted one got a picture or autograph.

To save it just becoming all about Numan, Big Marvin giving his shirt from helicopter sunday to the RSEA recently was some gesture.

He is simply one of life's good guys. Have you ever seen him with a tripping face? Me neither. Time and again at event's he takes all the time needed to have pictures with supporters and he is particularly great with the kids. Just a thoroughly decent bloke who enjoys every minute of life.

I don't normally post personal things about myself but seeing all these negative comments about ex players make me realise that .....

If you went to the mhedia with that story, you'd be on the wrong end of a series of bizarre looks.

If you went to them and told them that Artur Numan eg, never stood his round in the pub, you'd get front and back page banner headlines and a 12 page, colour pull-out supplement.

Some people only want to hear the bad about others. Positive stories don't sell, the same way hatchet jobs do.

We shouldn’t dislike all ex players, and we shouldn’t love all former players just because they played for Rangers.

Playing for Rangers is one of the greatest privileges you will ever get. Some of these guys would do well to remember it.

Had your story been Butcher for example, then maybe it buys him a bit more credibility. Not in my eyes, but in others.

We should always be able to separate the player from the person. Someone like Butcher can be great player for the club on the pitch but not a Rangers great. That honour is about how you conduct yourself off the pitch as well.

Nice story about Numan. Great to see someone so normal.

A great guy. Met him at one of the Louden nights. Made time to talk to me about FC Twente when I told him I used to live near Enschede.

And that's what I mean about some of our fans, nice positive story and someone wants to be negative.

And that's what I mean about some of our fans, nice positive story and someone wants to be negative.

You opened up with a statement, a pretty generic, blanket statement, saying many of the fans had no idea how generous some were.

Now, as I highlighted, I have never heard anyone have anything negative to say about Arthur Numan.

How is my post negative?

We won’t hate all and we won’t love all.

Of course there will be negative stories on former players. Many of these guys bring on the slander themselves.

I appreciate the good guys and their efforts, whilst never buying into the concept that just because you played for Rangers automatically makes you one of life’s good guys.

It’s not negative, it’s realistic and accurate.

I didn’t see what Crouchy wrote as being debatable. It’s absolutely correct.

Many of our former players are incredibly generous with their time and kindly to a fault. Those deserve recognition, even though they seek it not.

But we shouldn’t apologise, or make excuses, for those who are the polar opposite.

Bottom line, what a tremendous man Numan is.

Quite possibly the best ever left back to play in Scotland. What a tremendous player

I think it’s sometimes easy to forget how good he actually was.

The man was world class when we brought him to Ibrox.

It’s sad, but at the time, I didn’t appreciate him enough. I thought we’d have a conveyer belt of talent for years/decades to come. :(

Met him with his dad & kids in Siam Park in Tenerife a few years ago. He heard the accent when I was talking to my boy, & asked if I was Rangers or Celtic & then talked away. I thought my gushing over him would have gave it away as well.

Last edited:
I was at a night out and AN was standing talking to us, that guy skelator from the BBC’s sister came across to talk to him after 5 minutes her brother moved in between them and ushered her slowly away to say we were all pishing ourselves was an understatement as you and many say the man is a gentleman and no a bad footballer

Met him in Amsterdam 2 years ago, a nicer guy you'll struggle to meet. Also thought there was something a bit mad about him (in a good way!) But i think the dutch are a like that in general!

When I started posting on here I couldn’t believe the sheer disdain, bordering on hatred for pretty much everybody who has played or managed our club. I think our ex players probably get an easier ride on kerryfail. I used to think it was interlopers, and some of it probably still is, but it doesn’t take much for others to join in. Just because I don’t agree with everything they say in a newspaper doesn’t mean I’ll hate them forever more. I’ve read entire columns and not thought much of it only to come on here and see players ripped apart because they haven’t said something or due to half a sentence that’s been picked out and twisted.

A wee plug for Arthur's biog. It's fascinating for his self-effacing honesty & easy readability. Met him just after he joined at a diner in Cambridge Street - Ian Ferguson's testimonial, I think. Arthur was shy, polite & utterly decent.

He truly is Robert.

Met him on many a night out in 29 in Glasgow. One night we ended up back at the Radisson Hotel Bar he was staying in until 5am. Some man and some great stories. Loves all the stories about the Bears on Euro trips and the lengths we went and go to get to certain places.

A Rangers Legend on and off the park.

met him at the piggery in 2002 at an under 20 cup final, had just recently bought the new Dutch top so a asked him to sign the back of it, told him my name is Scott, he signs it and I thank him and he reply's no problem Steven :eek: then burst out laughing, a thought he had signed it Steven before he started pissin himself laughing :D

Did you get a freebie in the gas cookers or did you have to pay for that

The Rangers players and ex players do a lot, it's just they don't need to have a press team taking pics and taking interviews when they are doing it.

Oh My God two positive threads for big Robert in the last week or so!!!!
"We're doomed I tell you. Doomed"

One of lifes good guys! We have had loads of former players at The Gallant Pioneer but Arthur is up there at the top for me. I have a photo of him at 3am on the blackpool promenade with broxi bears head on hahaha. Another one was when we brought him and Michael Mols into the pub in the afternoon so stood at the bar to get them a drink turn round and only Mols is there? Wheres Arthur? half way across the pub sat at a table chatting away with 4 bears that he had never met before in his life.
Just a genuine man who has time for everyone and he loves The Rangers.

On a sidenote we have just had our annual sportsmans dinner on Saturday with 4 Rangers legends and Jorg Albertz was a guest he is also up there an absolute gentleman.

Back