Sore one for Radio Shortbread Tonight

Whatever happens they will have a new manager for next season and he's going to cost pure mullions in terms of having to do a root & branch rebuild. We have just lived through SG taking more than two years to get us into a good place and having a great chance to make great progress.
Give the events since 2012 we have as a fan base been by & large patient during this process. Would the hoards be as patient given their current sense of entitlement? Doubt it.
The patience seems to be well and truly paying off in my opinion.

Also I know that some Rangers fans (regardless of results) might not be so keen on the more patient style of play Gerrard has installed but I think it’s great to watch at times.

their best asset is Edouard who doesn't seem that arsed and if teams want him, they will know the contract will be running out so they'll be happy to wait it out as they know he won't sign a new one. I'd be surprised if they even made up what they spent on Ntcham (£4.5m) any time he's played us, he's looked like he can't be arsed either and has been dominated by our midfield that cost much less than he was bought for

Christie might end up going for something but he's probably more likely to sign a new contract to get them the money as he's probably happy with his game time. Ajer? lets just say the real world isn't Football Manager and there isn't a researcher to badly overrate him. Ragdolled multiple times by Morelos, yet Ajer is worth £20m+ and Morelos isn't worth anywhere near that? :D don't think he'd sign a new contract at this time either so they might have to go for a firesale at some point to get what they can
Agreed on all counts.

The only way you could be talking about getting 10+ million for any of those if they had at least 3 years on their deal, were in form, winning SPL titles and playing CL group stage football.

Realistically none of them are being sold in Jan with the league title up for grabs. So we’re talking summer transfers with a year on their contract for guys flopping in Europe and hopefully in the league too come May as they are right now.

Even if they were ticking those boxes I mention in my first paragraph, only a striker who was doing the business in Europe would maybe be in the £10mil+ category coming out of Scotland.

None of them are going for £10 plus in the summer and probably not Jan either

Last edited:
It's really is. Come the end of the season (regardless of the result), they could basically be losing atleast 8 first team players. Brown probably retires, the 3 loans go back (Laxalt 50k a week, Elyounouusi 65k a week and Duffy sh1te. None of them are signing) and they have 4 players entering the last 12 months of their deal in the summer. The 4 are Édouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham. That is 3 of their highest value players and they've allowed them to basically run their contract down in their pursuit of creating "history". They're going to lose millions in the fees they thought they should have gotten. They'll probably still get a good 40-45 million for the 4 combined but compared to the fees they should've got, it will be a massive kick in the stones.

Will those sales cover this seasons losses, next season's rebuild, loss of season tickets and merch (from losing the league) and probably no champions League money. No chance it will! When you throw in how hut and miss their recruitment is it could be a dire few years for the tims.

I can't believe they are paying Laxalt 50k and Elyounoussi 65k?
We've been lucky in that they've not qualified for the Champions League the past 3 years.
If they had qualified each year that could have given them potentially an extra £75m which would have made it considerably more difficult for us.
Now, their main assets are struggling, or not interested. The Greek keeper looks like a poor signing.
Is Jullien injured or dumped to make way for Duffy?
If things continue they will probably do well to get back what they paid for both Jullien and Edouard.
Hopefully, as Dave King said they will collapse like a pack of cards.

If we do win the league, their season ticket sales will utterly collapse. Their downfall is in our hands.

The house of cards as I see it is their total dominance while we were shafted now means they can’t handle any kind of set back and us taking our rightful place back will see them going into a total meltdown at a very dangerous time with three failed CL qualifications and COVID hitting their finances.

I had the misfortune to walk round their stadium awhile ago, it was really done on the cheap OK it looks fantastic when full on TV on matchdays, but so did the Maracanna, but up close it was a slum....I give Sceptic Park another 10/12 years and will start to look very tired

You're bang on mate. My stepdad knew the folk working on it in the 90s, the cheapest material used. They gave it ten years, so it's held up regardless of its impending structural demise lol.

Used to take the weans to see the basketball / Glasgow Rocks at the Emirates next to the Piggery - it is grimey AF looking.

I think that’s the guy who does the price of football Twitter account?
Also a podcast by the same name. First I heard of it was night via Andy McGowan(sic) on H&H. Andy seems well versed in this stuff but recommended this guy's pod. You just reminded me to download it, so ta :)

I've found from experience pointing others towards a neutral is better than pointing them towards fan media for info/facts.

If we do win the league, their season ticket sales will utterly collapse. Their downfall is in our hands.

The house of cards as I see it is their total dominance while we were shafted now means they can’t handle any kind of set back and us taking our rightful place back will see them going into a total meltdown at a very dangerous time with three failed CL qualifications and COVID hitting their finances.
It’s the perfect storm for them to be screwed for years

It's really is. Come the end of the season (regardless of the result), they could basically be losing atleast 8 first team players. Brown probably retires, the 3 loans go back (Laxalt 50k a week, Elyounouusi 65k a week and Duffy sh1te. None of them are signing) and they have 4 players entering the last 12 months of their deal in the summer. The 4 are Édouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham. That is 3 of their highest value players and they've allowed them to basically run their contract down in their pursuit of creating "history". They're going to lose millions in the fees they thought they should have gotten. They'll probably still get a good 40-45 million for the 4 combined but compared to the fees they should've got, it will be a massive kick in the stones.

Will those sales cover this seasons losses, next season's rebuild, loss of season tickets and merch (from losing the league) and probably no champions League money. No chance it will! When you throw in how hut and miss their recruitment is it could be a dire few years for the tims.
Where in the love of God are they getting up to £45m for that quartet?

I can't believe they are paying Laxalt 50k and Elyounoussi 65k?
We've been lucky in that they've not qualified for the Champions League the past 3 years.
If they had qualified each year that could have given them potentially an extra £75m which would have made it considerably more difficult for us.
Now, their main assets are struggling, or not interested. The Greek keeper looks like a poor signing.
Is Jullien injured or dumped to make way for Duffy?
If things continue they will probably do well to get back what they paid for both Jullien and Edouard.
Hopefully, as Dave King said they will collapse like a pack of cards.
It’s well known they’re paying Duffy’s £45k a week.

Is there any evidence they are paying £50k a week wages to Laxalt and £65k for Elathingy

You're bang on mate. My stepdad knew the folk working on it in the 90s, the cheapest material used. They gave it ten years, so it's held up regardless of its impending structural demise lol.

Used to take the weans to see the basketball / Glasgow Rocks at the Emirates next to the Piggery - it is grimey AF looking.
Brother in Law worked in the Police Dogs branch and used to do the safety searches behind the scenes before games. Said the place was totally unfinished in the out of site areas - bare wires, rusting framework, cracked, unpainted breezeblock walls. This was 10-15 years ago.

Bunnet built it on the cheap with 25 years in mind. They will probably plough on for a good few years beyond that but it will be some state by then and will probably rely on some blind eye safety inspections for certificastion.

I used to think Broadfoot was reasonably fair but he's become a pitiful character. His blind loyalty towards lennon is embarrassing. He refutes all critism of Lennon despite how glaringly obvious it is. All they need to do apparently is get Edouard back playing well and everything will be hunky-dory... ignoring the huge problems they have all over the pitch and quite clearly in the dressing room.

A big thing for me in all of this is Celtic's accounts. They basically no longer have a massive pile of cash sitting in reserve to bring in a top manager and top players when Lennon inevitably gets punted. It is almost automatically assumed by their fans that a big name manager will come in. A big name manager wants top money. Money they no longer have. So they will have to pay off Lennon, pay another guy to take over who wont be a Rodgers level appointment and make funds available to him that they scarcely now have. Dave King was right all along.

They essentially have to bring in a 'top' coach that is going to be happy with making do with the squad he's got at his disposal. Not to mention a coach that sorts out their fitness/conditioning levels and tactical structure, with no winter break, that could prove to be difficult. Unless they sell in January to fund further transfers or Desmond plows serious money in. Which isn't looking very likely but they have got previous for splashing the cash in January to bring in a big name to push for a title (Bellamy and Robbie Keane etc). Doesn't always work mind you.

I think that's a major source of the panic tbh. They've out spent us for the last 5 years and they have nothing to show for it when it matters to them the most. They aren't streets ahead in terms of quality anymore. Blowing the Champions League qualifiers 3 seasons on the spin clearly wasn't part of the plan.

Celtic have splashed the cash on players, hoping to unearth a gem that rakes them in a big return.

They have struggled to find any as most have stagnated or regressed, and there is a reason for that.

I cannot believe just how much Celtic have penny pinched on the infrastructure regarding the management of the team. Lennon was the cheap option, his backroom staff are cheap, the whole set up is cheap and it is no surprise that their players are regressing.

Compare our new signings to theirs, almost every one has progressed, they look fitter, sharper, and fit into a pre-planned system. There recruitment seems to consist of let's buy and hope he does the business.
I agree completely. Remember that time their transfer targets were released?

The whole list looked as if it had been written on the back of a fag packet. Totally unprofessional.

Back