Sore one for Radio Shortbread Tonight

Just playing catch-up on the weekend fallout. After discussing Septic’s ineptitude at great length, they got a financial expert (Kieran McGuire...) in to discuss our latest figures only for him to say that they’re nothing to worry about. They then ask him to compare us and them and he’s basically said that they’ve fecked it.

Said that in 2018, the gap in revenue was 70m and now its only 11m which we would easily eclipse after a decent Europa run and winning the league.

Anywhere I can listen to this?

One season of Champions league football will see us overtake them in terms of turnover which is incredible considering they posted a 101m turnover in 2018.

They will also need to fund a new management team and give him millions to spend in the summer with a serious downturn in revenue.

I do think however we will need to make at least one big sale next summer even with CL football that should see us in the black the season after next.

That’s not including their two massive elephants in the room - multiple compensation claims from child abuse victims and a massively decrepit stadium that is reaching the end of its useful life.
I had the misfortune to walk round their stadium awhile ago, it was really done on the cheap OK it looks fantastic when full on TV on matchdays, but so did the Maracanna, but up close it was a slum....I give Sceptic Park another 10/12 years and will start to look very tired

I reckon we only need one season in the CL to overtake them and then we will be on a financial role that will cripple them
I'm not in any way clued up on finances in football, but if that was the case , it would mean they have overspent vast amounts of money just to win a league that had no competition for years.

And yet they called us reckless.

That’s not including their two massive elephants in the room - multiple compensation claims from child abuse victims and a massively decrepit stadium that is reaching the end of its useful life.
And what do the mentally challengeds do regarding the state of the stadium , monoblock outside , and batter up some downlights .:D

Celtic model = Champions League or sell players
Rangers model =Champions league or sell players
Its important to keep our wages under control. Celtic have had a poor recruitment policy for years, which leads to an inflated wage bill. We need to make sure we are carrying no passengers and keep our bill sustainable.
Win the league and get into CL would be excellent, fail to win this year and I shudder to think of the consequences.

And a financial expert called Kieran McGuire - they must have thought it would be a Sevco-fest

And strangely enough the guy he actually hosts the programme with has Scottish relatives and admitted a while back rhat he has a soft spot for the Bheggars.

Can highly recommend the Price of Football podcasts, always a revealling listen.

It's really is. Come the end of the season (regardless of the result), they could basically be losing atleast 8 first team players. Brown probably retires, the 3 loans go back (Laxalt 50k a week, Elyounouusi 65k a week and Duffy sh1te. None of them are signing) and they have 4 players entering the last 12 months of their deal in the summer. The 4 are Édouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham. That is 3 of their highest value players and they've allowed them to basically run their contract down in their pursuit of creating "history". They're going to lose millions in the fees they thought they should have gotten. They'll probably still get a good 40-45 million for the 4 combined but compared to the fees they should've got, it will be a massive kick in the stones.

Will those sales cover this seasons losses, next season's rebuild, loss of season tickets and merch (from losing the league) and probably no champions League money. No chance it will! When you throw in how hut and miss their recruitment is it could be a dire few years for the tims.
40-45 mil for 4 guys in the last year of their contract, playing in Scotland and off form. I can’t see that. Think you are being overly generous. 10-11 mil each on average. No chance.

Sportsound was actually quite good for once. English putting the boot into Celtic and the SFA and the financial guy saying Rangers are doing well. Craig Levein is a good addition to the show, says what he thinks.

I've been thinking for a while that their failed champions league effort, ridiculous wage bill and money spent on players who don't even make rbe bench has to catch up at some point.

While we quietly built and gained europa money, they were squandering.

I imagine winning the league this year and the possibility of champions league football again would finally set us back ahead of them financially.

As King said...a house of cards.

add to it - largely our transfer outlay has seen players improve in value - tav, goldson, barisic, kamara, morelos etc etc

most of their squandering would go for less than they spent

Sportsound panicking now, the prospect of not being able to cover 55 properly would be another huge kick in the stones. Might just be trying to wiggle back into the good graces of our board so the radio Scotland 55 coverage doesn`t come from the round about outside

I actually don't mind Levein but he said something really dumb on thát show, which the rest agreed with, which shows why they are poor analysts.

They have such a parochial wee club/wee country mindset that they cannot understand the concept of a project. It was the comment about Gerrard and the team celebrating a victory over Hearts at Tynecastle or the beasts in their dump like we'd just won the league.

Gerrard has quite clearly been targeting our weaknesses and setting goals and objectives on a path to putting us back on top. Those objectives, I suspect, would include competing with the beasts on the pitch as equals, winning away at grounds that had previously been a stumbling block, keeping clean sheets in certain games, etc.

Not to see the pattern in those celebrations would make me question all of their judgements on other topics. It is so fundamental in interpreting the journey.

They are basically what we once were - and hopefully never will be again. Success came easy for us, we became arrogant and were happy to throw money around, increasing the wage bill with no real long term strategy or philosophy. Eventually if things start to go wrong, the house of card will collapse, which is what we are starting to see across the City.

He and they have always been obsessed with us. They’ve always reacted to our signings or tried to nip in and sign somebody we’re linked to. Everything is a reaction to us or done with us in mind. They’re the same from top to bottom. It’s all about the Rangers.
And it will be a big part of their downfall imo constant glaring over the fence at us has left them wi tunnel vision.

It's really is. Come the end of the season (regardless of the result), they could basically be losing atleast 8 first team players. Brown probably retires, the 3 loans go back (Laxalt 50k a week, Elyounouusi 65k a week and Duffy sh1te. None of them are signing) and they have 4 players entering the last 12 months of their deal in the summer. The 4 are Édouard, Christie, Ajer and Ntcham. That is 3 of their highest value players and they've allowed them to basically run their contract down in their pursuit of creating "history". They're going to lose millions in the fees they thought they should have gotten. They'll probably still get a good 40-45 million for the 4 combined but compared to the fees they should've got, it will be a massive kick in the stones.

Will those sales cover this seasons losses, next season's rebuild, loss of season tickets and merch (from losing the league) and probably no champions League money. No chance it will! When you throw in how hut and miss their recruitment is it could be a dire few years for the tims.
Here’s hoping.

I actually don't mind Levein but he said something really dumb on thát show, which the rest agreed with, which shows why they are poor analysts.

They have such a parochial wee club/wee country mindset that they cannot understand the concept of a project. It was the comment about Gerrard and the team celebrating a victory over Hearts at Tynecastle or the beasts in their dump like we'd just won the league.

Gerrard has quite clearly been targeting our weaknesses and setting goals and objectives on a path to putting us back on top. Those objectives, I suspect, would include competing with the beasts on the pitch as equals, winning away at grounds that had previously been a stumbling block, keeping clean sheets in certain games, etc.

Not to see the pattern in those celebrations would make me question all of their judgements on other topics. It is so fundamental in interpreting the journey.
Good post.

A big thing for me in all of this is Celtic's accounts. They basically no longer have a massive pile of cash sitting in reserve to bring in a top manager and top players when Lennon inevitably gets punted. It is almost automatically assumed by their fans that a big name manager will come in. A big name manager wants top money. Money they no longer have. So they will have to pay off Lennon, pay another guy to take over who wont be a Rodgers level appointment and make funds available to him that they scarcely now have. Dave King was right all along.

They are basically what we once were - and hopefully never will be again. Success came easy for us, we became arrogant and were happy to throw money around, increasing the wage bill with no real long term strategy or philosophy. Eventually if things start to go wrong, the house of card will collapse, which is what we are starting to see across the City.
Thinking that myself. They are in the same place we were at the end of the 'Murray Era'.

Not a great place to be. Which is nice! :D

He's got a sneering and condescending tone, is he still the PR/communications guy for the SFA?

I don’t think he is. Celtic are a client of Frame PR where he’s a partner though.

Knew him when I was younger and can confirm he’s a cock.

Im listening to sportsound now and English just said the fat Japanese is obsessed with us and has started going over his salary. 3 million a year, ouch.
Listened to it this morning and when English read a lengthy list of transfers of guys i've never heard of in the main because they don't play. I'd suggest many scum supporters have never seen them play even if they had heard of them.
They were shouting for a guy the paid £2m for in Jan to play. Think he came on as a sub and disappeared into the ether again.
We know as much as anyone not every signing will be a success but my goodness they have bought some dross and burned many many mullions.

Last edited:
40-45 mil for 4 guys in the last year of their contract, playing in Scotland and off form. I can’t see that. Think you are being overly generous. 10-11 mil each on average. No chance.
their best asset is Edouard who doesn't seem that arsed and if teams want him, they will know the contract will be running out so they'll be happy to wait it out as they know he won't sign a new one. I'd be surprised if they even made up what they spent on Ntcham (£4.5m) any time he's played us, he's looked like he can't be arsed either and has been dominated by our midfield that cost much less than he was bought for

Christie might end up going for something but he's probably more likely to sign a new contract to get them the money as he's probably happy with his game time. Ajer? lets just say the real world isn't Football Manager and there isn't a researcher to badly overrate him. Ragdolled multiple times by Morelos, yet Ajer is worth £20m+ and Morelos isn't worth anywhere near that? :D don't think he'd sign a new contract at this time either so they might have to go for a firesale at some point to get what they can

Celtic have splashed the cash on players, hoping to unearth a gem that rakes them in a big return.

They have struggled to find any as most have stagnated or regressed, and there is a reason for that.

I cannot believe just how much Celtic have penny pinched on the infrastructure regarding the management of the team. Lennon was the cheap option, his backroom staff are cheap, the whole set up is cheap and it is no surprise that their players are regressing.

Compare our new signings to theirs, almost every one has progressed, they look fitter, sharper, and fit into a pre-planned system. There recruitment seems to consist of let's buy and hope he does the business.

their best asset is Edouard who doesn't seem that arsed and if teams want him, they will know the contract will be running out so they'll be happy to wait it out as they know he won't sign a new one. I'd be surprised if they even made up what they spent on Ntcham (£4.5m) any time he's played us, he's looked like he can't be arsed either and has been dominated by our midfield that cost much less than he was bought for

Christie might end up going for something but he's probably more likely to sign a new contract to get them the money as he's probably happy with his game time. Ajer? lets just say the real world isn't Football Manager and there isn't a researcher to badly overrate him. Ragdolled multiple times by Morelos, yet Ajer is worth £20m+ and Morelos isn't worth anywhere near that? :D don't think he'd sign a new contract at this time either so they might have to go for a firesale at some point to get what they can
Whatever happens they will have a new manager for next season and he's going to cost pure mullions in terms of having to do a root & branch rebuild. We have just lived through SG taking more than two years to get us into a good place and having a great chance to make great progress.
Give the events since 2012 we have as a fan base been by & large patient during this process. Would the hoards be as patient given their current sense of entitlement? Doubt it.

I think there is a massive revenue problem for Celtic everyone is overlooking if they lose the league and that will be from bitter mentally challengeds requesting a refund for their COVID season tickets. Seen a few of them talking about it already as they want “to punish the board”.

Unless Celtic changed their terms and conditions from last year they were legally obliged to provide refunds to anyone wanting one.
Even if a quarter want a refund that’s £5m at least
Good point SSP. Have seen that they will be reluctant to buy ST's next season and even a 10% drop off affects spending planning and also gives the hoards more flex in picking and choosing games. Better get those big tarps out again!
The 'want a refund' aspect effectively doubles the impact of non renewals.

It’s other things that’ll kill them. We’ve obviously got scouting links to Scandinavia and Croatia, they’re getting loans in from bigger clubs because the data is there ready formed. We’re building partnerships out with Europe - getting a young goalkeeping prospect in from the States early and cheap, covering off India with Bengaluru, and they’re just checking the bhoy knows how to pour a Guinness before they sign him.
Trying to build up that infrastructure and relationships takes time and investment. We’ve done that, they’d not be able to in the few months they’d have before the start of next season.

Sportsound panicking now, the prospect of not being able to cover 55 properly would be another huge kick in the stones. Might just be trying to wiggle back into the good graces of our board so the radio Scotland 55 coverage doesn`t come from the round about outside
They do seem to have become less critical and even Stewart has turned down the sneering.
However for me its too little too late. I want a clear out of the haters. We know who they are.

TBF I'd live with English hanging about, he stood up at the end of last season and said what very few others would re the corruption & bully tactics. He knew what was going on and spoke out, plenty others knew the same and kept quiet or worse pandered.

Listening to it just now. Cant believe all they are focusing on is Edourd not playing well and comparing with us on goal scoring front.

All forgetting that they couldn't keep weans out a close. They are dreadful at the back

I've been thinking for a while that their failed champions league effort, ridiculous wage bill and money spent on players who don't even make rbe bench has to catch up at some point.

While we quietly built and gained europa money, they were squandering.

I imagine winning the league this year and the possibility of champions league football again would finally set us back ahead of them financially.

As King said...a house of cards.

Us shooting ourselves in the foot a couple of times as far as challenges went (ultimately it being down to just not quite having good enough players yet) got them off the hook.

Our job could have been so much harder if they'd had that CL money to reinvest instead of having to sell a player each year (or they could even sell that one player and then buy two to improve their squad overall) and because they did have those failures, it's contributed to their stalling.

A Celtic fan pointed out on twitter that Rodgers got pumped out by AEK Athens and had a worse league start in 17/18 than Lennon's having now and that that no one wanted Rodgers sacked at that point and that they should be backing Lennon on that basis.

What he fails to realise is that that constant excuse making for failure leads to futher drops in standards. It's what happened to us in 97/98 too. We kept going back to what the manager and players had done instead of what was being done at that point. With hindsight, change should have been made in the summer of 97 but it was too brave a decision for Murray to take. Celtic are in that boat now as if they sack him and fail, they'll be criticised and if they stick with him and it gets worse to the point it's beyond them, they'll be crucified for that too. The more turmoil the better for them if we can just keep plodding on as we have done.

Last edited:

Plus the compensation money they will soon have to pay.

Back