Sounds like the manager sticking with Katic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dh1963

Gerrard said: “I have spoken to Niko, yeah.

“He is a good type, the ultimate professional, and to be fair to the kid, for his age he is one who will take accountability.

“He will stand up and will never hide. If he’s ever made a mistake, his hand goes straight up.

“Criticism is part of being a Rangers player.

“The praise is good when you score the winner at Celtic Park.

“You have the reverse, as people think you are the best thing on the planet and you lap the adulation up.

“I think he enjoyed that, so you need to take the rough with the smooth.

“That’s the life of a footballer. Sometimes it’s good, sometimes it isn’t.

“When it’s up, it’s up. When it’s down, you need to work even harder, reset and regroup.”

“He is a good type, the ultimate professional, and to be fair to the kid, for his age he is one who will take accountability.

“He will stand up and will never hide. If he’s ever made a mistake, his hand goes straight up.

“You have the reverse, as people think you are the best thing on the planet and you lap the adulation up.

“When it’s up, it’s up. When it’s down, you need to work even harder, reset and regroup.”
Is this good management?
What has Gerrard done wrong here?

He had an absolute nightmare on Sunday - inexplicably bad given his previous performances.

But some of the comments about him after that game have been completely unjustified given what he's done since joining us.
If there was a more experienced CH it would probably a good idea for him to come out for a while.People do tend to forget how young he is for a CH.But as the only option is a less experienced player then he'll just need to keep playing.

He had a very poor game on Sunday. He is a young player- it happens. Some of the nonsense from boyd in particular was over the line. No one can accuse Katic of not trying; I'm not sure the same could be said of kris boyd after his "efforts " in 2014 / 15. Boyd has a short memory.

Maybe he feels guilty about his post match comments on Sunday which regardless of what people say, were ridiculous.

I’d be nervous to start him though, he was so bad I feel like it’ll be a tough one to get over. I still can’t fathom what he was doing when he let the tramp score the equaliser.

Mate I'm convinced the threads after out games are polluted with obsessed Tim's trying to stir the shit.
As someone who doesn't live in scotland this place is great for staying up to date with things and just generally talking about rangers with other fans, something that is rare in my day to day besides family. I sincerely hope this place has been an echo chamber of negativity recently and not indicative of the fan base because it's absolutely brutal.

With the backs to the wall game we are likely in for tomorrow Niko has to play. Horrendous game on Sunday but these things happen. Gerrard's comments were completely unprofessional and unbecoming of any manager

Nothing against Niko, but he’s not a novice. And we did win a European final with a nineteen-year-old centre-half.

guys on H&H's podcast were spot on about him, he has good potential but he has to know when to go for a ball as a central defender as he definitely has problems with judgement which can lead to mistakes

this isn't me having a go at Goldson who I think is a good defender but Katic would have been great alongside somebody like David Weir, an experienced old head who could nurse him through the game

Good man management though I still think he'll be off in summer and this is just gerrard preventing burning bridges till he's away. I don't think he has ever really fancied Katic with him being pulled from the team so often in the past.

Katic had a horrendous game no question about it but he's a good player who has done a lot of good for us. I was one of those that wanted Katic back in the team when Gerrard shunned him out so I'm glad we're sticking with him for now but whatever went wrong on Sunday he has to sort out ASAP, his performance that day was complete and utter shit - but that's not the Katic we're used to having. Something was off that day.

guys on H&H's podcast were spot on about him, he has good potential but he has to know when to go for a ball as a central defender as he definitely has problems with judgement which can lead to mistakes

this isn't me having a go at Goldson who I think is a good defender but Katic would have been great alongside somebody like David Weir, an experienced old head who could nurse him through the game

Weir definitely made good players even better players. Danny Wilson never looked anywhere near as good as he did when he was a 17 year old playing next to Weir. Not even in his mid 20’s did he look as comfortable.

Nothing against Niko, but he’s not a novice. And we did win a European final with a nineteen-year-old centre-half.

He was 4th choice centre half for that game though mate.

Both McKinnon and Jackson would've started ahead of him had they been fit.

DJ would probably have replaced Conn in midfield.

At this point in time he needs to, can’t be throwing edmundson into a European away leg knock out tie when he’s not got much experience. Ultimately niko needs to cut out the same mistakes that he’s been making over the past two years that he’s still not got rid of out his game if he wants to be a championship winner at rangers

Good man management though I still think he'll be off in summer and this is just gerrard preventing burning bridges till he's away. I don't think he has ever really fancied Katic with him being pulled from the team so often in the past.

Katic had a horrendous game no question about it but he's a good player who has done a lot of good for us. I was one of those that wanted Katic back in the team when Gerrard shunned him out so I'm glad we're sticking with him for now but whatever went wrong on Sunday he has to sort out ASAP, his performance that day was complete and utter shit - but that's not the Katic we're used to having. Something was off that day.
If we want any chance of winning the league next season gerrard needs to realise that Goldson isn’t good enough.

He’s being referred to as a “kid”. He’s 23 ffs.

He might not be a kid but he’s a young player though and relativity inexperienced, particularly at a club like this. Still doesn’t have any relevance to us winning a European final with a 19 year old centre half decades ago.

Knows he messed up on Sunday so I'd expect him to bounce back and be a colossus tmrw in a game where we will need players to run through walls for us

Get into them big man

He had an absolute nightmare on Sunday - inexplicably bad given his previous performances.

But some of the comments about him after that game have been completely unjustified given what he's done since joining us.
He was torn a new one by Dykes and also was horrendous v the sheep. He can't kick a ball with his left foot which is a handicap for a left sided player.

As everybody on here knows " you're only as good as your last c**k-up". Nico will be back, but he'll be feeling the pressure after Sunday

He had a terrible game but he is a very capable defender. Gerrard needed to change things in the last game - I don't actually have a problem with Katic playing later on.

Looking forward to seeing big Kambari being let loose up front though. That needs to happen.

Think Katic will defo play, if we were playing league game at home with lots of possession I think he would be dropped. Hopefully not having to play ball out as much And just having to go win ball etc will give him confidence.

I’m delighted to read this.
Just wish Gerrard would issue these type of statements after games, instead of …the statements he does make!
Good luck tomorrow Niko if you do play.Do yourself and us proud.

Remember last season when he got dropped for Worrall? He came back and was a total bomb scare. My fear is his head isn’t in the right place at the moment.

think Edmundson is a safer bet vs Braga

Can’t really bring Edmundson out the cold so doesn’t really have a choice but to play him.

Wonder how long he’ll continue making the same mistakes (rashly attacking every ball) without improving though.

That won't please the ones who were demanding Katić is replaced with Edmundson - a lad that's made 7 appearances in all competitions for Rangers and struggled on his last outing.

As for Katić mistakes. No worse than McGregor, Tavernier, Kamara or Goldson this season. Only Kamara has seen the criticism Katić received. Go figure...

That won't please the ones who were demanding Katić is replaced with Edmundson - a lad that's made 7 appearances in all competitions for Rangers and struggled on his last outing.

As for Katić mistakes. No worse than McGregor, Tavernier, Kamara or Goldson this season. Only Kamara has seen the criticism Katić received. Go figure...

Said this one million times already, but every player is different. The manager has said that on record. Some players react to criticism, others need an arm around them. Like every human being.

He has also slated Goldson (Spartak) and McGregor (Hibs) after they cost the team with individual errors.

He obviously thinks Katic can handle it. It seems to be forgotten that it was Gerrard who gave him a hefty new contract. He also singled him out for praise after the game at Parkhead. Do you think a guy of his standing and experience goes through him just to be a prick? He obviously has his reasons. Katic, regardless of what is posted on here, has also said he loves playing for him.

There are plenty of things to criticise Gerrard for at the minute. This line about how he needs his big summer defensive signing back has been blown out of proportion and isn't one of htem.

Mate I'm convinced the threads after out games are polluted with obsessed Tim's trying to stir the shit.

The ones that start Threads with loaded questions are primed for abusive answers. Throw in generic usernames with a loyalist town or good year and it’s clear as day. Shit stirring but a wee bit too clever with it as They can’t ever praise Rangers or talk about good experiences from the past. It works for the yessers all over Twitter, No reason they wouldn’t do it on this forum.

Is it an instant ban to call these types out?

Last edited:
He was torn a new one by Dykes and also was horrendous v the sheep. He can't kick a ball with his left foot which is a handicap for a left sided player.

Yes but guess what ...he is a right sided defender being asked to play on the left.
As long as he partners Goldson, he will never play his natural position.
I wonder how Connor Goldson would fare, if he had to play there?

Tonight will suit Katic better as it's likely to be a backs to the wall job.........if it was a Hamilton at home where we have most of the possession big Edmundson would have more than likely played as he's so much better on the ball than Niko.

Sensible words

Sensible decision to start him too IMO

He’s a young CB, players in his position at his age will always have a mistake in them it’s about how he recovers from it

Maybe he feels guilty about his post match comments on Sunday which regardless of what people say, were ridiculous.

I’d be nervous to start him though, he was so bad I feel like it’ll be a tough one to get over. I still can’t fathom what he was doing when he let the tramp score the equaliser.

Maybe itll refocus him. Time will soon tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back