Souness Event Tonight

An excellent night.
A friend was kind enough to purchase me a ticket, the magnificent one was as expected.
And great support from Walters, Hately and Durrant, with a Mo Johnstone cameo.

Brilliant night. Really enjoyed it. Wee Durrant was top class, And Mr Magnificent was sensational.

An experience of a lifetime for a daft lad like me, to meet my ultimate hero and to meet one of my footballing idols also was just a pleasure. Stuff that money can’t buy nor can anyone take away from me. Just a wonderful night.

There was about that amount next to me whom, once the gabby watter kicked in were showing each other pictures and messages on their mobiles.
Some folks are just ignorant bastards
One of the pricks sat on his mobile for most of the first half having a conversation with someone.
It never fails to astound me just how self centred most people are these days. I ended up sacking it at 10:15 because I was ready for lamping someone.
Decided to leave before I got in bother and got jumped by all 6 of them in retaliation. Shower of pricks, probably the same wankers that crawl out the woodwork on euro nights and make an arse of themselves.

A really good night. Souness still speaks so well. He got a bit emotional a couple of times which was a pleasant surprise.

As said above, a few arseholes giving it big licks like they’re at the football. I hope a few of you are on here read these posts. You might just gather some manners and self respect. You were in the presence of greatness last night and should should have savoured it.

Wee rant over, Mr Souness, thank you for sharing your time and some of your memories with 1 star struck forty something fan.

Souness was a hero of mine growing up so last night was incredible for me. Terms like ‘legend’ and ‘great’ are thrown about far too easily in football but this guy was one of the very best.

People always talk about Law and Dalglish when the greatest Scottish player topic is raised but this guy had it all. Not just the biggest winner you will ever meet but a fûcking magnificent footballer. A great passer of the ball and had a decent shot on him.

I would have him on my side before anyone. Alan Hansen famously said that he literally lifted a team and carried it on his back.

For the younger bears, you have no idea just what you missed out on. There isn’t a midfielder in the modern game I would have above him. Your Jorginho’s, Kante’s, Rodri’s, etc. are nowhere near as talented as this guy. He dominated Europe in his Liverpool days and no-one ever got the upper hand physically.

If you are in doubt. Go to YouTube and watch his hattrick for Liverpool v CSKA Sofia.

Souness was a hero of mine growing up so last night was incredible for me. Terms like ‘legend’ and ‘great’ are thrown about far too easily in football but this guy was one of the very best.

People always talk about Law and Dalglish when the greatest Scottish player topic is raised but this guy had it all. Not just the biggest winner you will ever meet but a fûcking magnificent footballer. A great passer of the ball and had a decent shot on him.

I would have him on my side before anyone. Alan Hansen famously said that he literally lifted a team and carried it on his back.

For the younger bears, you have no idea just what you missed out on. There isn’t a midfielder in the modern game I would have above him. Your Jorginho’s, Kante’s, Rodri’s, etc. are nowhere near as talented as this guy. He dominated Europe in his Liverpool days and no-one ever got the upper hand physically.

If you are in doubt. Go to YouTube and watch his hattrick for Liverpool v CSKA Sofia.
Great tribute to a great player from you there, just one thing though I have to say about his shooting, it was incredibly powerful and I would put him about having the 3rd most powerful shot ive seen just behind jorg albertz and peter lorimer, jimmy case his Liverpool teammate was another who could hit them, like you say souness he had it all.

A really good night. Souness still speaks so well. He got a bit emotional a couple of times which was a pleasant surprise.

As said above, a few arseholes giving it big licks like they’re at the football. I hope a few of you are on here read these posts. You might just gather some manners and self respect. You were in the presence of greatness last night and should should have savoured it.

Wee rant over, Mr Souness, thank you for sharing your time and some of your memories with 1 star struck forty something fan.
Did Souness speak about Walter at all?

What bits did he get emotional about mate ? Sir Walter obviously, anything else ?

Yes - it was very moving. They talked about it at the start. Said he’d seen Walter a few weeks before his death and Walter just wanted to talk to him about football.
Cheers, thought he would have done the great man proud.

A good night with some decent stories.

It wandered into Jim White show territory on a few occasions but at least it was somewhat related to GS. Appreciate him and Souness go back a long way but he really is a parody of himself.

Souness was excellent, interesting to hear him talk about Villa fans backed up by Walters. Durrant always steals the show. Some of the shouts and heckles were a riddy. Two in particular as the charity video was being introduced finally caused a lot of folk to snap and tell them to STFU. Pair behind me gabbed through the lot.

Watch his performance for Liverpool in the European Cup final against Roma in Rome. Completely ran the game and through that got his transfer to Italy. Probably the finest performance of a Scot in Europe since Baxter's game against Rapid Vienna.

Watch his performance for Liverpool in the European Cup final against Roma in Rome. Completely ran the game and through that got his transfer to Italy. Probably the finest performance of a Scot in Europe since Baxter's game against Rapid Vienna.
Personally speaking that game should have been Liverpool v. Dundee United….

A good night with some decent stories.

It wandered into Jim White show territory on a few occasions but at least it was somewhat related to GS. Appreciate him and Souness go back a long way but he really is a parody of himself.

Souness was excellent, interesting to hear him talk about Villa fans backed up by Walters. Durrant always steals the show. Some of the shouts and heckles were a riddy. Two in particular as the charity video was being introduced finally caused a lot of folk to snap and tell them to STFU. Pair behind me gabbed through the lot.
There will always be those who have had a bit too much to drink and talk over the night, I get that and as frustrating as it is I can live with it. If you are referring to the back of the stalls when the charity video was being aired on the big screen, then the comments made by the man beside me were totally disgusting. I took exception to this and that is why there was a commotion during the video.

What bits did he get emotional about mate ? Sir Walter obviously, anything else ?
Spoke about his time at 37 when he had the heart bypass. There was an issue when he had to back in for a second time after collapsing. He said it was the first time in his life that he was ever afraid.

He also had a wee tear when talking about a wee girl (Isla I think) who has a condition that she is always in pain. He is involved with a charity to try and help this.

There will always be those who have had a bit too much to drink and talk over the night, I get that and as frustrating as it is I can live with it. If you are referring to the back of the stalls when the charity video was being aired on the big screen, then the comments made by the man beside me were totally disgusting. I took exception to this and that is why there was a commotion during the video.
Heard that comment also. Hope the guy is ashamed of himself this morning, was bang out of order

Great night, thanks again for the tickets @mdingwall

Some cracking stories and insight, my mate found it weird how Mark Walters was so pro Rangers over Villa. Ian Durrant, what a guy, just took over the whole show with his natural charisma.
Mark Hateley was brilliant as well.
Slight dampener not having Super there but the night wasn’t impacted by it.

A few too many folk with too many drinks in them determined to be the centre of attention at times. especially because Graeme and Hateley are quite soft spoken.

Thoroughly enjoyed it though.

PS Jim White was a cracking host as well.

Last edited:
Heard that comment also. Hope the guy is ashamed of himself this morning, was bang out of order
I didn’t hear it, but I was expecting there to be an option where you could make a donation.

I thoroughly enjoyed my night, and there were a few guys who had had too much to drink, but that sadly tends to be the way of it.

My brother and I took our old man, who hasn’t been well recently as a belated 75th birthday present. He absolutely loved it too.

One downside was that I was knackered by the transport system again after the tube being off pre match on Thursday, no trains going back from SEC station after the night had finished last night. Eventually got a black cab on Argyle Street.

Souness quip about Super was great as well.
Was talking about the tough players at Ibrox and someone shouted “Super Ally”
He just turned round and said “would you want to be in the fucking trenches with him?”

I pissed myself laughing at that part

I enjoyed it last night.

Will echo what others have said about people shouting out, just give it rest.

I don’t like Jim White, I think he’s a detestable pwick, but I felt he was excellent at his job last night.

Always good hearing Souness speak.

Hateley said he left Monaco to join us for 1/5 of the money he was on.

Mark Walters saying the Villa fans are fickle gave me a chuckle and I instantly thought of a match thread on here.

Durrant was on top form.

Story last night that id never heard before

Ally and Durrant went to Tam Shepherd joke shop on their tuesday off, bought fake soap and put it into the managers showers thinking Souness was off and Walter would get it. Souness turned up though, and shouted them both through to discuss why they hadn’t signed new deals.

Durrant wanted to sign anyway
Ally was going on about image rights after going into the Rangers shop and seeing 90% of merch was him.

Said he’s standing there, thunder thighs, 6 pack, hair slicked back and the Tom Selleck moustache. Souness starts getting showered, armpits first, turn black, he’s not looked just keeps talking to them, then bollocks, then face.. Durrant shiting himself escapes and gets halfway down the corridor before he hears “ya couple of bastards”

Last edited:
I watched the game as a kid (9) but have to say I haven’t watched it since. It holds special memories for me as back in the day live football on tv was a rarity and I watched it with my mum (who never watches football) and my old man and gran (both of whom are sadly no longer with us).

What was the comment that was said? As I said previously, I chucked it at 10:15 because of the ignorant cūnts behind me, so I assume it was said after that time?
If you don’t want to write it in a public forum, I’d appreciate a PM.
Probably just as well I left when I did, if it was as bad as some said, as I was already pissed off enough.

One of the pricks sat on his mobile for most of the first half having a conversation with someone.
It never fails to astound me just how self centred most people are these days. I ended up sacking it at 10:15 because I was ready for lamping someone.
Decided to leave before I got in bother and got jumped by all 6 of them in retaliation. Shower of pricks, probably the same wankers that crawl out the woodwork on euro nights and make an arse of themselves.
Apt username.

Scotland is full of drunk arseholes making a c.unt of themselves.

It's not just a phenomenon with Rangers supporters.
I’ve seen GS twice in The Louden, and thankfully, the drunk arseholes are kept in check by the MC and the other audience members in general.

I suppose the size of the venue helps.

Ohh I so remember that game.. i was 14 and had been going to Ibrox for 10 years but that was the first time I think I really understood a match.. in Rome against Roma he showed the arrogance that all great players have.. have never watched it back because I just want to remember it in the way I watched it. A great player , a Scotsman ruling the world.. only word is magnificent.

Graeme himself was going on about how he doesn’t get the religious element and never will, he thinks there’s far more important things in the world.
Every time there is a thread on here about anything someone is moaning about songs.

Back