Souness getting it now

That’s a fact though. USA ranked no1 side in the world in the woman’s game lost convincingly to an U15s team. Australia ranked 5th at a time when they lost to an U13 Newcastle Jet team 7-0.

Have we to pretend that they are seriously on par with male professional sides?

People also claimed on that thread that Mead and White could easily play at League 1 level.

exactly and it matters not a jot to the women's game. You don't have to pretend anything, you can think it's shit, many do, but when the same things come up time after time, it's boring and it comes across as blokes who didn't make it far in the men's game, being upset that women can have their day in the sun too.

exactly and it matters not a jot to the women's game. You don't have to pretend anything, you can think it's shit, many do, but when the same things come up time after time, it's boring and it comes across as blokes who didn't make it far in the men's game, being upset that women can have their day in the sun too.
So if you crack a few jokes that means you're a failed footballer?

I enjoy the women's football and it will be big one day. However, pay and conditions must match the product and of course it never will match the men's game. However, I think more and more will want to watch it.

Talking about his comments yesterday.

No apologies no regrets. Magnificent bastard.

Great addition on a Monday should be having decent debates with Jordan in the coming weeks.
Just watched Ian Collins who was talking about freedom of speech and he was laughing at how ridiculous the reaction was to what he said.

I just thought it was a guy discussing the game the way I’ve heard it my entire life.

Honestly couldn’t believe it when I seen it mentioned on the Sunday football thread
Wouldn't be surprised if Souness deliberately gets himself cancelled.
By continuing not to pander to the loonies.

Eni Aluko is a complete sausage! She got her old England manager Mark Sampson the sack because she was shite and wasn't getting picked for the team so she slaughtered him as a bully, a racist and a pest because he was actually dating one of the female players and he ended up getting fired and she got 50K or there about in compensation!

She's nothing more than a shit stirrer/trouble maker!

Delighted the Magnificent one has treated her with the contempt she deserves!
Oh to have a pint with her and Eilidh Barber, I can never spell her first name its a stupid name like Snudge

It’s gathered enough traction to make the BBC News home page.

The BBC have asked Sky for comment.

There you have it. The BBC are desperately trying to position themselves as arbiters of good taste and in so doing promoting their self-styled custodianship of the public interest.

Will be interesting to see what transpires. I’m 100% sure that there are extremely ambitious people who covet Souness’ job at Sky and his standing within the game from a media perspective, both written as well as audiovisual.

I hope he is backed by Sky. There will be a backlash if they dump him on the back of this. All of which would be an insult to him given that they allowed Carragher back after his altercation with the family car full of Man U fans.

Last edited:
It’s gathered enough traction to make the BBC News home page.

The BBC have asked Sky for comment.

There you have it. The BBC are desperately trying to position themselves as arbiters of good taste and in so doing promoting their self-styled custodianship of the public interest.

Will be interesting to see what transpires. I’m 100% sure that there are extremely ambitious people who covet Souness’ job at Sky and his standing within the game from a media perspective, both written as well as audiovisual.

I hope he is backed by Sky. There will be a backlash if they dump him on the back of this. All of which would be an insult to him given that they allowed Carragher back after his altercation with the family car full of Man U fans.
The same BBC that hid Jimmy Saville’s crimes for decades?

The wanker asking should be stuck in a locked room to ask Mr Souness himself.

I think Souness knows what’s coming and can’t be bothered with it and that’s why he has taken on the job at talkSPORT and the Mail. Just getting his ducks in a row before the perpetually offended get him cancelled on sky. You could see by his face he wasn’t comfortable with her being a pundit same as Keane

In football there are a number of phrases like "man marking" or "man on" are there all redundant now? It's all getting a bit silly and is a distraction from real offensive stuff and prejudices.
My daughter plays U18 football. Standard shout when receiving the ball is "man on".... from her teammates. Every other team use it too.

Should I get offended and intervene?

Archaeology students given ‘dead bodies’ trigger warning​

‘Infantilisation of universities’ continues as lecture participants notified about images of ‘human remains’ amid fears they could be upset

rchaeology students have been warned they will be exposed to images of “human remains” and funeral rituals during their lectures, amid fears it could cause them upset.
The University of York has included several “content warnings” to prepare students on courses where they will be shown the remnants of our ancient ancestors.
Those embarking on the university’s “mummification” module, for example, have been told that lectures will contain images of dead bodies and human skeletal material.
It is unclear whether undergraduates opting to study the ancient Egyptian practice of preserving the body after death – by drying or embalming the flesh – had been surprised by the course content.
Although the university’s website said that in past years, “students have said they really enjoyed the in-depth discussions of Egyptian mummification”.

‘Infantilisation of British universities’​

Alan Sked, emeritus professor for the department of international history at LSE, said it was yet another example of the “infantilisation of British universities”, which he added “clearly continues apace”.
“Not so long ago Glasgow University warned its theology students that a course on Christ ended with a very violent episode called the crucifixion,” he said.
“Its archaeology students were warned in advance that digs might reveal human remains.”
The notion that mummification was exclusively the preserve of Ancient Egyptians is also eschewed in the course description at the University of York, which challenges misinformed undergraduates to “think again”.
“Artificial and natural ways of preserving human bodies have been used throughout the past and around the world,” it said, adding that the course teaches “different methodologies” in preserving the dead “employed in Ancient Egypt and South America”.
In the course of studying the “methodologies” of mummification, budding archaeologists were also alerted to the potential for “frequent discussion of funerary treatments for the dead”.

‘Frequent discussion of extreme violence’​

While students who enrolled to study another module on “themes of violence and conflict within world archaeology” were told their lectures would contain images of dead bodies and “frequent discussion of extreme and ritualised violence”.
Ancient cadavers and violence were not the only things signposted to potentially vulnerable students.
A first-year course in archaeological theory warned that lectures would include the discussion of “political discourse”, while third-year modules on death and DNA included discussion of treating deceased people and disease symptoms.
Curiously, a module on “human bones” did not include any warnings about the potential for upsetting content.
Prof Sked said: “At this rate, all history students should be warned that most history books are likely to include bloody episodes of war or revolution.
“Indeed, all students should be warned when arriving at university that books and lectures may – alas only may in today’s intellectual climate – contain dangerous things called ideas, although, for their own protection, controversial ones will be banned.
“We should pray to Cardinal Newman to intercede.”
The Telegraph has contacted the University of York for comment.

Harry Potter and Jane Austen​

Universities have come under fire in recent years for issuing trigger warnings on a series of topics, including Harry Potter and Jane Austen.
JK Rowling’s Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is among the texts studied in the “Approaches to Literature” module offered by the University of Chester’s English department, where undergraduates were asked to “get in touch” if they have “any issues with the content” of the course.
The warning said: “Although we are studying a selection of young adult texts on this module, the nature of the theories we apply to them can lead to some difficult conversations about gender, race, sexuality, class, and identity.”
Similarly, English literature undergraduates at the University of Salford, where Jane Austen is on the reading list, were furnished with the following disclaimer: “There are scenes and discussions of violence and sexual violence in several of the primary texts studied on this module.
“Some students may find the content of the following texts distressing.”

Will that be the same sensitive souls who watch Game of Thrones. ?

If SKY do bin him and I seriously think they will be considering doing so as they are utter Wankers perhaps TMB could replace his lost income from punditry by identifying as a woman and getting himself registered as a player with some Woman‘s premier league team.

It would be interesting to see if the motor mouths would be interested in getting up close and personal on the pitch and try calling him a sexist dinosaur to his face.

Stop the world I want to get off.

If SKY do bin him and I seriously think they will be considering doing so as they are utter Wankers perhaps TMB could replace his lost income from punditry by identifying as a woman and getting himself registered as a player with some Woman‘s premier league team.

It would be interesting to see if the motor mouths would be interested in getting up close and personal on the pitch and try calling him a sexist dinosaur to his face.

Stop the world I want to get off.
Let’s do away with Men’s football and Women’s football and just have Football. Wonder how many female players would be in any of the teams?

Hypocrisy, Double Standards and sheer WOKE crap are ruing life for ordinary men.

Everyone and I mean everyone knows what he meant but sadly football and society is polluted with clowns just want to be offended. They are waiting for anything to be mock offended by. These clowns are usually no mark unknown, unrecognisable lefty luvvy fuds. In Scotland usually SNP, RC celtic friendly nonentities. Everyone a complete oddball fud. Well done Souness. You have annoyed all these fannies but they will be after your job and the cowards just might give into them

Heard Souness make the comment and immediately thought that some idiot somewhere would try to make his life difficult for what he said. Society is totally bonkers when people get wound up about things like that.
Womens football will never ever be as popular as the mens game. The BBC are promoting it way beyond the airtime it deserves. Watched a bit of a game on TV a few days after the English girls won the European tournament. There were probably a couple of hundred watching at the ground and I doubt if half of them paid to get in.
The Final involving England had over 70,000 in attendance. Would love to know how many paid for tickets and what was taken at the gate. Peanuts, I bet. The TV audience was reported to be huge but that was due to England making the Final and the hype created by the media.
There's little comparison between men and womens football. It's a different ball game.

There we go again - casual use of the male anatomy - excluding women - am offended by this.

The minority getting offended can have serious repercussions. As a lot of people have found out.
He’ll have his dignity, morals, medals and all time British great status along side friends and family should the worse case even come close to transpiring. It won’t on this occasion though

Completely valid point but some of the females actually talk more sense than the dross that Sky try and pass off as pundits.
True of the likes of Clinton Morrison and Tim Sherwood. But for me, I prefer pundits that have played the game, and won trophies or have the experience to be decent.

I see the BBC website has an article on the "outrage" now. The offended get plenty of their view reported, don't see anyone quoted as backing Souness for a perfectly reasonable remark.

Sky Sports pundit Graeme Souness says he does not regret describing football as "a man's game" after Chelsea's fiery 2-2 draw with Tottenham.

His comments drew criticism from Chelsea striker and Euro 2022 winner Beth England and ex-England international Eniola Aluko.
Souness was analysing the physical nature of the game and referee Anthony Taylor's approach.

"It's a man's game all of a sudden again," Souness said on Sunday.

"I think we've got our football back, as I would enjoy football - men at it, blow for blow, and the referee letting them get on with it."

Former Liverpool and Scotland midfielder Souness was sitting beside Karen Carney, who won 144 caps for England.

Presenter Dave Jones immediately added: "It's also a woman's game as well."

It followed a dramatic London derby at Stamford Bridge which ended in an angry confrontation between managers Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte. Both were shown red cards after the final whistle.

Aluko responded to Souness' remarks on social media, writing: "Awkward turtles, Graeme Souness talking about 'it's a man's game again' sat next to an England centurion Karen Carney, two weeks after the Lionesses end a 56-year wait and win European Championships. Come on. It's not OK."

England, who was in Sarina Wiegman's Euros-winning squad, said: "What a disgraceful thing to say after the summer this country has just seen."

Speaking to Talksport on Monday, 69-year-old Souness said he regretted "not a word" of what he said in Sunday's broadcast.

"Let me explain," he said. "I've been advocating for years that the referees have such a major part to play in the success of the Premier League.

"We've got to be careful what we say today and I've not been very good at that, but we were becoming like other leagues.

"The refs were blowing the whistle all the time, the game didn't flow and it just wasn't a very good watch. Our game has always been unique, always been more meaty, more in our face, more intense and we've got away from that.

"Yesterday in my comments I said we've got our game back. That's the kind of football I remember playing. Our league will be better for it - we are back."

Later in a statement released through Sky, Souness said: "To clarify my comments from yesterday, I was referring to the two Premier League matches I watched live on Sunday afternoon, rather than the sport of football.

"Football is a game for everyone to enjoy."

I’m well aware of that. When he first started on Talksport he told a story about getting taken to Ibrox by his dad but the language he heard that day was so bad he asked not to go back. A few days later he was compère at a night at Ibrox so he was happy enough to take the clubs money.

A complete and utter cock of a man.

Women’s football is clearly popular.
It does absolutely nothing for me I have to say.
In the same way I probably wouldn’t watch a bunch of school kids playing, I have that same entirely indifferent enthusiasm for women’s football.
I don’t like it when a woman’s football story ends up on the BBC web page, like Rangers signing some woman, it confuses things for a moment.
It’s clearly got a place but it’s not on mainstream tv.

Back