Souness on signing Johnston and leaving Ibrox

The Goalie

In todays Sunday Times,

this also is part of his new book.....

When I was appointed as Rangers manager in 1986, I was asked if I would ever sign a Catholic. I replied, ‘Of course, I would.’ I could see all the press men raise their eyes to the sky, like they had heard it all before, but I meant it. My wife, at the time, was a Catholic, my kids had been brought up Catholic, so it was not an issue for me and I proved that by signing Maurice Johnston from Nantes in 1989 when Celtic thought he was about to join them.

I’d previously tried to sign Ray Houghton and John Collins, but had failed to persuade them. It was ridiculous. Given that Scotland is split 50–50, you were limiting yourself to picking from 50% of the kids that were out there.

It looked like Celtic had signed Maurice, until one day I made a passing remark to Bill McMurdo, his agent, in the foyer at Ibrox. “You should have let us know about Maurice, we would have been in for him,” I said, and then kept walking. Immediately, Bill was on my shoulder. “Do you really mean it?” “Yes,” I replied. That’s how it all started.

Next we ran the idea past club owner David Murray. David puffed his cheeks out, then after 30 seconds there was an expletive and then a “Yeah, let’s do it.” There was some resistance within the club, with other directors feeling that the fans would desert us in droves in protest, but I argued that very quickly Maurice would win the right-minded majority over with his industry and goalscoring, and I was proved right on that score.

Was it a good thing? I believe it was, if you reflect on the players the club have signed since then who have gone on to become legends. I am glad that I brought that ridiculous unwritten rule that was holding the club back to a spectacular end.

The actual deal had to be done discreetly, of course. I flew to Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris and Bill McMurdo used Orly airport there, so that we wouldn’t be spotted together. We then met at a little cafe in Paris to agree the details over coffee. We unveiled Maurice at Ibrox and I dealt firmly with players in the squad who refused to welcome him, making it clear they wouldn’t be staying.

The knock-on effect of us signing Maurice demoralised Celtic. He’d come back from Nantes for a few days in Glasgow, there was a photograph taken with Billy McNeill, Celtic’s manager, and he was going back to sign for them. Next thing, he’s our player. It prevented them from signing one of the best Scottish players around at the time, so we weakened them, but the psychological damage lasted for years afterwards.

It wasn’t just Maurice Johnston. We signed Mark Walters, Rangers’ first black player for 50 years, and the late Avi Cohen, who was Jewish, too. I’d spent my adult life in England and had my eyes opened to a lot more than if I’d stayed at home and not gone ‘abroad’. Signing someone who was a different religion or different colour wasn’t an issue.

Not that it was always plain sailing being Maurice’s manager. His behaviour and form in his first season were exemplary, but things started to go wrong as we prepared for his second season, at a training camp in Tuscany. I had two of my kids over because I was separated at the time, and I had said to Walter to let the players have a drink that night. I was in my bed and I could hear a commotion going on, but I chose to ignore it and let Walter deal with it.

When I came down in the morning, Maurice looked like he had been in a fight with a Bengal tiger. His face was all scratched and bloodied. I asked Walter what happened to Maurice and he said there had been an argument between him and Mark Hateley, who we had signed that summer from Monaco. I don’t think they exchanged blows, there would only have been one winner there, but someone had been into Maurice’s room and taken the mattress off his bed and it was one of the old-fashioned metal spring ones, so when he came in after a few beers and his argument with Mark, he’d dived onto the bed face first and it was like a cheese grater on his skin.

Though many wanted us to be successful at Rangers, there were twice as many wanting me to fail. It was a case of living with that, and because of my attitude and personality I could deal with it. For example, I went to the Glasgow Cup final against Celtic at Hampden one year. I had a black three-quarter-length leather coat on and a black roll-neck jumper underneath, so I must have looked like something from a Milk Tray advert. It was effectively the reserve sides of the two clubs, but there were still about 40,000 people there.

As I was standing talking to someone outside, out of the corner of my eye I saw a kid being dragged towards me by his dad until they stood about two yards away from me. Then the dad pointed at me and said, “There you are, son, there’s the bad man.” So in his house, when I came on the telly, I was “the bad man”. The kid was pulling away from his dad as he said this. It made me chuckle at the time, but afterwards it made me quite sad.

I eventually left Rangers to return to Liverpool in April 1991. I was offered the manager’s job there twice by Peter Robinson, Liverpool’s vice-chairman, and turned it down twice after Kenny resigned.

I was banned from the touchline at the time in Scotland, I was separated from my wife and I was getting followed along the M8 by journalists looking to see what I was up to in Edinburgh of an evening. It all became unbearable.

The final straw was a second argument with a lady called Aggie Moffat, who worked behind the scenes at St Johnstone and sadly died recently. To start with, it was just about players banging their boots on the floor and leaving mud on it. She thought that wasn’t right, made a point of saying so, and it grew out of proportion from there. I just hoped she could laugh about it later and that I wasn’t the bad guy. I certainly laughed about it later. It was like being spoken to by my mum again, but it didn’t bother me that much.

Nevertheless, as the row escalated at the time, it almost led to me assaulting Geoff Brown, St Johnstone’s chairman, as he put his arm on me. A pal of mine called Ian Blyth from Edinburgh came up to that game and on the way back I said, “That’s it, I’ve had enough.” By that stage, I was only one wrong sentence away from exploding.

That’s how I’d become. It wasn’t good for me and it wasn’t good for Rangers. I phoned Peter Robinson the next day and said, “If the [Liverpool] job is still available, I’ll come and talk to you.” In retrospect, I shouldn’t have done that.

David Murray tried to persuade me not to leave for Liverpool when we were sitting on the wall outside my house in Edinburgh talking about it one evening. He told me to take a year off instead, to sit on the board with him and enjoy it, then I could go back as manager if I wanted to. We’d become really close. I’d come back from Glasgow between four and five and we’d go out for an early supper in Edinburgh at six, that was our routine from Monday to Friday.

We’d done the hard work, taken the club that hadn’t won the league for eight years, had gates of 15,000, and created a monster. I like to think what I left there, although Walter Smith certainly added to it afterwards, also provided the foundations for Rangers winning nine consecutive titles to match Jock Stein’s Celtic.

I love Souness but it's sad that he seems to now regard the signing of Johnston as the pinnacle of his Rangers career. It seems to be the focal point of any his discussions about us now. It was a big signing but I prefer the first 2 or 3 years under Souness. At least he hints that we only really got 1 season out of Johnston - which we did.

I don't get the references to Walters or Cohen as though Scottish football was awash with black and Jewish players, just not at Rangers. And Scotland is not 50/50.

As usual a few innaccuracies.
Glasgow Cup Final was at Ibrox,not Hampden.

Not that year. It's hazy but I remember McInally playing for the papes I was in the main stand and our end was half full as was the papers.
. Mostly reserve players. We won. Not 40k probably 25k. Celtic would have recorded 8k:)

Yes he changed Scottish football he signed players we only saw on TV. When he signed Mo Jo everyone at Ibrox Rangers supporters far and wide knew it was going to be some journey and it was and still is.Thanks Graeme you magnificent bast*rd

As usual a few innaccuracies.
Glasgow Cup Final was at Ibrox,not Hampden.
Not that year. It's hazy but I remember McInally playing for the papes I was in the main stand and our end was half full as was the papers.
. Mostly reserve players. We won. Not 40k probably 25k. Celtic would have recorded 8k:)

1987 - reserves sides at Celtc recorded attendance was just over 15k we won 1-0 with a own goal

I love Souness but it's sad that he seems to now regard the signing of Johnston as the pinnacle of his Rangers career. It seems to be the focal point of any his discussions about us now. It was a big signing but I prefer the first 2 or 3 years under Souness. At least he hints that we only really got 1 season out of Johnston - which we did.

I don't get the references to Walters or Cohen as though Scottish football was awash with black and Jewish players, just not at Rangers. And Scotland is not 50/50.

Could not agree more.

His five years seems to boil down to signing Johnston, arguing with a tea lady and falling out with numerous folk which does him and us a massive disservice.

People forget just how much of a rut we were in when he arrived. A stagnant club going absolutely nowhere who had been overtaken by not only them but Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen and were essentially going head to head with Dundee to finish 5th in a 10 team table. We were a shambles when he took over.

He ripped out the blueprint and dragged us kicking and screaming into modern football. We went from losing to Clydebank to knocking out Dynamo Kyiv inside of 18 months. We went from Craig Paterson to Terry Butcher as our captain. He took guys like Fleck, Durrant, Munro and McCoist to another level. We left the rest of Scottish football for dead with our approach, our signings, our off field earnings and our football. A lot of that is down to him.

People talk about Wenger revolutionising English football. Souness did that 10 years before him up here. Wenger gets lauded. Souness gets accused of ruining our game.

But truth be told I'm genuinely sick of hearing about the Johnston signing. Especially when the story seems to change to suit whatever party is talking about it. Including Souness.

Who left shorty after would probably give the answer

a4vi47.png

I lost most of the respect I had for souness when he jumped n ran to liverpool..as for signing mojo... the day the real rangers died for many... many a bear refused to go back to Ibrox after that.. signing a wee pleb who a few season before spat on a rangers player and blessed himself after being sent off...

Last edited:
Another slur on Davie Cooper?

Just seen post above he left prior to Johnston arriving.

Another soundbite from Souness that shows us in a bad light.

Coop was still there when Johnston arrived. There's a squad photo at Il Ciocco and he's in it with Johnston.

Souness doesn’t mention Cooper - and the table above indicates Cooper left a full month before Johnston signed, though that’s not what I recall.

A good read that. Give you a bit of an insight into what it was like at the time.

I was only fairly young when he left for Liverpool and couldn't really get my head round it. I suppose if you're living under that kind of scrutiny, there's only so much you can take.

I like Souness, I think he is a decent pundit and was very important in terms of putting us on a different level to them - in every sense.
It sounds like he and DM had a perfect working relationship, which added to the success at the time.

August 1989 in search of first team football. I think Coop only started 9 league games the previous season.

Note the quote "...7, 8 months of reserve team football maybe swayed me a wee bit"

This is a very poor article, re writing history and full of inaccuracies. Graeme was a revelation when he came to us, he transformed us and brought Walter who was his BEST signing.
He left to join Liverpool, his choice.
I wish him good luck but wish he'd refuse to talk about signing Mo Johnstonnever again. It's boring and it's still dragged up to put us in a bad light

While Walters wasn't the first black player in Scotland I'm not sure there had been such a high-profile one before or at least not for a great many years. So his signing was a bit of a groundbreaking one, as could be seen from the reaction to him - and not just from Celtc fans. A problem with Graeme Souness is that he likes to talk up his own achievements and doesn't always do it in the best way.

Last edited:

I wouldn't read it as that mate, I'd say he was just speaking generally.
By all accounts, Big Bomber wasn't too keen on him, but there's a few that would be in the same camp.
I'm just taking it that he was addressing them as a group and it wasn't directed at one individual?

A good read that. Give you a bit of an insight into what it was like at the time.

I was only fairly young when he left for Liverpool and couldn't really get my head round it. I suppose if you're living under that kind of scrutiny, there's only so much you can take.

Given he had a triple bypass within a year of leaving us it's safe to assume that had he remained up here under that media scrutiny and relentless pressure then things could've taken a horrible turn for the worse in terms of his health.

Souness has said previous that in his last 18 months here he was basically eating painkillers like sweeties due to the constant headaches

He probably did have to get out. But as he admits, he went the wrong way about it. And that's what hurts.

Could not agree more.

His five years seems to boil down to signing Johnston, arguing with a tea lady and falling out with numerous folk which does him and us a massive disservice.

People forget just how much of a rut we were in when he arrived. A stagnant club going absolutely nowhere who had been overtaken by not only them but Hearts, Dundee United and Aberdeen and were essentially going head to head with Dundee to finish 5th in a 10 team table. We were a shambles when he took over.

He ripped out the blueprint and dragged us kicking and screaming into modern football. We went from losing to Clydebank to knocking out Dynamo Kyiv inside of 18 months. We went from Craig Paterson to Terry Butcher as our captain. He took guys like Fleck, Durrant, Munro and McCoist to another level. We left the rest of Scottish football for dead with our approach, our signings, our off field earnings and our football. A lot of that is down to him.

People talk about Wenger revolutionising English football. Souness did that 10 years before him up here. Wenger gets lauded. Souness gets accused of ruining our game.

But truth be told I'm genuinely sick of hearing about the Johnston signing. Especially when the story seems to change to suit whatever party is talking about it. Including Souness.

Yes, the early years were actually more interesting. From 1986-1989, Rangers were probably the coolest club in Britain and every game was like an event. In Walter's book, he talks about arriving at Rangers and the place just being an empty shell when the players went home. No staff there, no hospitality, no process for even doing the laundry, etc. I'd love to hear more about the process by which Souness came to Rangers, his initial impressions of the squad, the stadium, what needed to be done, the signing of Butcher, the 86 LCF, etc. I mean, he rarely talks about his relationship with David Holmes but half his time at Rangers was under Holmes. I'm not sure he gets how much of an utter lady's front bottom we now think David Murray is. We're not impressed by him anymore, Graeme.

Souness got a couple of awards at Rangers for 'anti-sectarianism' - one from the Lord Provost, Suzie Baird. He acts like someone who has had 25 years of Yahoos patronising him by thanking him for dealing with the 'tewwible bigotry at Rangers'. It's basically their way of overshadowing everything else he did but he just doesn't see that.

While Walters wasn't the first black player in Scotland I'm not sure there had been such a high-profile one before or at least not for a great many years. So his signing was a bit of a groundbreaking one, as could be seen from the reaction to him - and not just from Celtc fans. A problem with Graeme Souness is that he likes to talk up his own achievements.

Of course not. But that's the problem - we were the ones making groundbreaking signings but the impression left is that it was our fans who had the problem. The Walters signing, even more than Johnston, utterly exposed the Yahoos and their 'right on' credentials. They'd made much of being the 'progressives' until the 'Huns' signing a black player then it was bananas and gorilla suits all round. Y'know, if Souness mentioned all that, it might actually help, instead of droning on about our fans, our directors, our players opposing Johnston.

It could have been so different if Murray had sold earlier to the correct people. Murray did not want anyone to be successful after him.
We got totally shafted, Souness has said he would have been Director of Football.

The courts in this country are still trying to untangle the events of that time – and work out exactly why Duff and Phelps handed the keys to Charles Green and not Kennedy and Souness.

Even when the Sale Sharks owner teamed up with the Blue Knights consortium, which included current directors Paul Murray and John Gilligan, they were denied access.

Given he had a triple bypass within a year of leaving us it's safe to assume that had he remained up here under that media scrutiny and relentless pressure then things could've taken a horrible turn for the worse in terms of his health.

Souness has said previous that in his last 18 months here he was basically eating painkillers like sweeties due to the constant headaches

He probably did have to get out. But as he admits, he went the wrong way about it. And that's what hurts.

A month before he left us, we lost twice at the Piggery in a week. Banned from the dugout, Souness would have had to sit in their main stand surrounded by gloating scum. It must have been horrendous. Souness was absolutely hated by them - more than any manager we've had in the last 30 years. The pressure must have been incredible.

It's a pity that he's never chosen to name the pettiness of the officials, the jealousy of other clubs, the vindictiveness of the SFA and SFL. Souness was banned on the basis of TV evidence that the SFA didn't accept. Get your head round that. That's the kind of thing he should be talking about. 'Marlbrough's works team' as one Celtic director called us.

Souness was only interested in making rangers better.He saw a player in MJ.
I dont think alot of people realise how good a player he was.Imo he was the best player rangers ever had at assisting the main striker,in our case Mccoist or Hateley.His running off the ball,the opening up defences for the striker was fantastic,Souness knew this and thats all that mattered.Thats all that should ever matter.

Of course not. But that's the problem - we were the ones making groundbreaking signings but the impression left is that it was our fans who had the problem. The Walters signing, even more than Johnston, utterly exposed the Yahoos and their 'right on' credentials. They'd made much of being the 'progressives' until the 'Huns' signing a black player then it was bananas and gorilla suits all round. Y'know, if Souness mentioned all that, it might actually help, instead of droning on about our fans, our directors, our players opposing Johnston.

That actually a great point and one that the Yahoo must be reminded of as the years roll on.

They were pelting Mark Walters with bananas and two in the jungle at the fence facing the Rangers end were dressed in full gorilla outfits one with Mark the other with Walters pinned to their chests they were orchestrating the rest,and it wasn't a tiny majority man woman and child of the Celtic support indulged in this, and never let the feckers forget it.

And for those on here that have a soft spot for Hearts they shamed themselves to when we played them at Tynecastle when they lobbed bananas in their thousands,after that day I was finished with the maroon feckwitts, they had jumped into bed with the Filth and decades on they are just the same.

The media seem terrified ever to tell the real story on Mark Walters debut as it blows the Celtc are good mantra right out the water, never let them forget the true events.

Souness was only interested in making rangers better.He saw a player in MJ.
I dont think alot of people realise how good a player he was.Imo he was the best player rangers ever had at assisting the main striker,in our case Mccoist or Hateley.His running off the ball,the opening up defences for the striker was fantastic,Souness knew this and thats all that mattered.Thats all that should ever matter.

Indeed. At that point Hateley had still to turn into the monster he became for us. Souness did not fancy McCoist. If the tims had got Johnston he may well have won the league for them.

Indeed. At that point Hateley had still to turn into the monster he became for us. Souness did not fancy McCoist. If the tims had got Johnston he may well have won the league for them.
Totally agree.Souness has a great football brain.He knew exactly what he was doing.At that time not many managers would have been brave enough to leave mccoist out.It worked out for the best.

Could not agree more.

Good points SDF, he absolutely transformed us and for that I will be forever grateful. The meltdown of that mob when we signed MJ almost made it worthwhile on its own.

I think it's harsh to say that Souness didn't fancy Ally. He gave him a 4 year deal as soon as he walked in the door and McCoist in 86/87 and 87/88 hit 80 goals on his tod which was far beyond anything he had produced in the previous three years.

McCoist got a really bad injury in 1988 when he ruptured his hamstring and missed three months. Afterwards his goalscoring return diminished significantly although you could argue him and Johnston never meshed as a duo.

Souness clearly saw McCoist in a comfort zone and lit a fire under him. It may have seemed harsh but in hindsight it was probably the right thing to do.

Yes, the early years were actually more interesting. From 1986-1989, Rangers were probably the coolest club in Britain and every game was like an event. In Walter's book, he talks about arriving at Rangers and the place just being an empty shell when the players went home. No staff there, no hospitality, no process for even doing the laundry, etc. I'd love to hear more about the process by which Souness came to Rangers, his initial impressions of the squad, the stadium, what needed to be done, the signing of Butcher, the 86 LCF, etc. I mean, he rarely talks about his relationship with David Holmes but half his time at Rangers was under Holmes. I'm not sure he gets how much of an utter lady's front bottom we now think David Murray is. We're not impressed by him anymore, Graeme.

Souness got a couple of awards at Rangers for 'anti-sectarianism' - one from the Lord Provost, Suzie Baird. He acts like someone who has had 25 years of Yahoos patronising him by thanking him for dealing with the 'tewwible bigotry at Rangers'. It's basically their way of overshadowing everything else he did but he just doesn't see that.

Yep. The story of going from Wallace being refused money to sign Gordon Durie or Craig Levein to signing the best centre half in English football in a matter of months is fascinating. What was the breaking point where Holmes said enough is enough and things must change ? I know it's reported his incredulous reaction to the 4-4 draw (we were happy to get a point against 10 man Celtic and he was furious) but it can't just be that. Did we manage to attract Souness in a mere matter of weeks ? Was he the only name ? What was the initial contact ? Remember Souness said the year before on OAG? that he wanted our gig. Was that the start ?

Even daft stuff like McCoist saying he got the players wearing flip flops in the dressing room to avoid foot infections and getting the players to change their diets. It was the simple things that began the process.

There's probably hundreds of stories like that floating about waiting to told about Souness 5 years here. Instead all we get is he signed a catholic and had a temper. It's boring as fu.ck.

I also don't understand why this is mentioned.
Scotland at the time was certainly nothing near 50/50.
Further the population demographic was extremely white, and the Jewish numbers were negligible to say the least.
No one was discriminating against any of those groups in football in Scotland, because quite simply it wasn't possible to.

As for Roman Catholics, I have often mentioned this on this forum.
But suffice to say, RC's weren't turning up at Ibrox Stadium with their boots wrapped in brown paper asking for a trial, in short most wouldn't have signed if we asked them to and offered them money to do so, as evidenced by Houghton and Collins, and most of them, unlike John Spencer wouldn't have risked the abuse from their own.

John Spencer had of course been at the club since 1985, and it hadn't caused much of a stir amidst the support.
Something that always seems worthy of completely ignoring by the press who feast on controversy and disharmony far more than any Rangers supporter I have ever met.

It is incredible that facts just get pushed aside in order to create a more controversial story.
The truth is that no matter how Protestant our support ever was, all they cared about was that Rangers put a good football side on the park, and that probably was always true throughout our history.

People can bluster and explode blue in the face to disagree with that, but I came from a huge family where every single male was a Rangers supporter, and of course still are, and not one of them cared a fck about the religion of Maurice Johnston.

The people who really make it an issue, the people who never stop talking about it, and the people who seek to keep it as a public issue are mostly found in the Scottish press and media.
I get the impression it is they who would all weep the most, if this issue were to disappear completely.

I also don't understand why this is mentioned.
Scotland at the time was certainly nothing near 50/50.
Further the population demographic was extremely white, and the Jewish numbers were negligible to say the least.
No one was discriminating against any of those groups in football in Scotland, because quite simply it wasn't possible to.

As for Roman Catholics, I have often mentioned this on this forum.
But suffice to say, RC's weren't turning up at Ibrox Stadium with their boots wrapped in brown paper asking for a trial, in short most wouldn't have signed if we asked them to and offered them money to do so, as evidenced by Houghton and Collins, and most of them, unlike John Spencer wouldn't have risked the abuse from their own.

John Spencer had of course been at the club since 1985, and it hadn't caused much of a stir amidst the support.
Something that always seems worthy of completely ignoring by the press who feast on controversy and disharmony far more than any Rangers supporter I have ever met.

It is incredible that facts just get pushed aside in order to create a more controversial story.
The truth is that no matter how Protestant our support ever was, all they cared about was that Rangers put a good football side on the park, and that probably was always true throughout our history.

People can bluster and explode blue in the face to disagree with that, but I came from a huge family where every single male was a Rangers supporter, and of course still are, and not one of them cared a fck about the religion of Maurice Johnston.

The people who really make it an issue, the people who never stop talking about it, and the people who seek to keep it as a public issue are mostly found in the Scottish press and media.
I get the impression it is they who would all weep the most, if this issue were to disappear completely.

If you attend a Catholic school in Scotland, you will almost certainly support Celtic. There will be no Rangers supporters. If you attend a non-denominational school in Scotland, there will be a variety of supports, including Celtic, and not exclusively Rangers. That's the reason Rangers will always find it difficult to sign Scottish RC's and there's nothing Rangers can do about that.

As you say, who were the Scottish RC's pre-1989 who were being denied the chance of fulfilling their dream of playing for Rangers? It's no coincidence that even in the near 30 years since Johnston, the majority of RC's that have played for Rangers have been foreign. There is no clamour from the Scottish RC community to play for Rangers. There never will be.

I get the positives of the Johnston signing but it's unfortunate that both Souness and Murray were politically and culturally naive and they both over-estimate the importance of the Johnson signing and how much it really changed Scottish society. Hell, the club released an audio history in 1993 where a significant portion is devoted to this damned signing - giving Murray an excuse to revisit the anecdotes and stroke his ego ('no-one knew...we had to do it...it was brave but we did it...I said to Graeme you realise what this means...blah blah'). It's given greater importance than winning the ECWC.

It was the Ian Archers, Brian Wilsons, Candid Camerons of this world who were most gutted when Rangers signed Johnson. It was never our problem.

Yep. The story of going from Wallace being refused money to sign Gordon Durie or Craig Levein to signing the best centre half in English football in a matter of months is fascinating. What was the breaking point where Holmes said enough is enough and things must change ? I know it's reported his incredulous reaction to the 4-4 draw (we were happy to get a point against 10 man Celtic and he was furious) but it can't just be that. Did we manage to attract Souness in a mere matter of weeks ? Was he the only name ? What was the initial contact ? Remember Souness said the year before on OAG? that he wanted our gig. Was that the start ?

Even daft stuff like McCoist saying he got the players wearing flip flops in the dressing room to avoid foot infections and getting the players to change their diets. It was the simple things that began the process.

There's probably hundreds of stories like that floating about waiting to told about Souness 5 years here. Instead all we get is he signed a catholic and had a temper. It's boring as fu.ck.

I'd like the timeline of the appointment explored in more detail. Souness is always coy about it for some reason. Walter has said he was asked by Souness in February 1986 to be his assistant but that things had to be sorted at Sampdoria's end first. The OAG interview was conducted in September 1985 and broadcast in February 1986, IIRC. Did one lead to the other or did Souness know something then? Our lack of transfer activity in 1985 and Wallace being denied funds, as you say, would suggest the club were simply stalling until making the change. It's a fascinating period in the club's history and it's unfortunate that the Johnston signing is the main talking point all the bloody time.

Could disagree with any of that TBH, I remember being quite disappointed at the way he left - but I was a bit young to fully understand what was going on.

Good point, well made. It'll never catch on!

If you attend a Catholic school in Scotland, you will almost certainly support Celtic. There will be no Rangers supporters. If you attend a non-denominational school in Scotland, there will be a variety of supports, including Celtic, and not exclusively Rangers. That's the reason Rangers will always find it difficult to sign Scottish RC's and there's nothing Rangers can do about that.

As you say, who were the Scottish RC's pre-1989 who were being denied the chance of fulfilling their dream of playing for Rangers? It's no coincidence that even in the near 30 years since Johnston, the majority of RC's that have played for Rangers have been foreign. There is no clamour from the Scottish RC community to play for Rangers. There never will be.

I get the positives of the Johnston signing but it's unfortunate that both Souness and Murray were politically and culturally naive and they both over-estimate the importance of the Johnson signing and how much it really changed Scottish society. Hell, the club released an audio history in 1993 where a significant portion is devoted to this damned signing - giving Murray an excuse to revisit the anecdotes and stroke his ego ('no-one knew...we had to do it...it was brave but we did it...I said to Graeme you realise what this means...blah blah'). It's given greater importance than winning the ECWC.

It was the Ian Archers, Brian Wilsons, Candid Camerons of this world who were most gutted when Rangers signed Johnson. It was never our problem.

Indeed .
John Spencer attended a Roman Catholic school when he signed for Rangers.
He got abuse from fellow pupils.

How many Scottish Protestant kids signing for The Filth, ever got abuse at their non dom schools?

My non dom school had a few pupils who supported The Filth, and they were given no hassle, other pupils supported a variety of teams, although Rangers were the most popular.
The nearest bigot factories schools were almost exclusively filled with Filth supporters.

I am afraid the truth regarding this issue is never properly discussed, because it is dominated by those from a certain background who push a deliberate misconception of the history to suit an agenda that misrepresents the facts.

I once had a private conversation with Souness himself, and he told me that the main reason behind his decision to leave was his illness.
At the time he just didn't know that his illness was the cause of his anxiety rather than the professional environment he was in.
Moving to Liverpool he found changed this little, and of course he discovered that he needed the life saving operation.

Yes and of course he married a Catholic and although they tell you they are not bitter the kids as in his case were brought up Catholic now would you believe it ,I don't dislike him for that it's the fact he walked from us I can't forgive, just my opinion of course.

Yes and of course he married a Catholic and although they tell you they are not bitter the kids as in his case were brought up Catholic now would you believe it ,I don't dislike him for that it's the fact he walked from us I can't forgive, just my opinion of course.
You cannot forgive a man who was ill with a life threatening illness, that was the underlying cause behind the reason he felt the need to move on?

Back