Souness on signing Johnston and leaving Ibrox

And I take it you don’t mind us having catholics at our club

And that pleases you does it ?

Sorry mate, but the entire premise of your questioning on this matter, is nuts.

Our manager is probably an RC, or at least from such a background, half the current team are probably much the same.
But who really knows or indeed cares?
I really couldn't tell you what religion most of our players have been for decades.

Get hold of Graham Spiers, he's the fellow you should be talking to.
He is as wound up about this non issue as you are.
You can keep each other company, whilst the rest of us get on with the more important stuff.

Cooper left us for 1 reason and one reason only.
Davie was at an age when he needed first team football.
He asked the management about this at Rangers, they made it clear that he wouldn't be guaranteed first team action.
He made a sensible decision to leave us and go to Motherwell
The reality was he had years left in him
Cooper was an outstanding football player

I think people forget just how outstanding Mark Walters was in 88/89 when he was keeping Cooper out the team.

Walters scored 17 goals from the left wing that season including 4 against Celtic.

I lost most of the respect I had for souness when he jumped n ran to liverpool..as for signing mojo... the day the real rangers died for many... many a bear refused to go back to Ibrox after that.. signing a wee pleb who a few season before spat on a rangers player and blessed himself after being sent off...
Ffs, Then they were not truly Bears then!!!!

I hated him too but we had had Catholics before who played for us and done well and Johnston did a job too.
Its wasnt about him being a rc its him asxa person and who he was.. and to call guys who never went back fuckwits is out of order...I recall the whole stadium singing rangers and catholics dont go..
Were they all,fuckwits

As I recall it, Cooper played more centrally at Motherwell, did he not, and appeared rejuvenated in that role, culminating in what I remember being an outstanding season in ‘90/91 when he was pivotal in leading them to cup glory.

Being such a one footed player however, and given our rich history in producing legendary wingers down through the years (and Scottish football’s enduring love affair with tanner ba’ players in general), perhaps it was somewhat understandable that Cooper’s outrageous talents saw him shunted out onto the wing where it was felt players of his ilk flourished best?
This is a good point about tannar ba players. If Hagi and Stoichkov were Scottish we would probably shunt them out wide instead of midfield/Attack Midfield roles. We tend to prefer players who are big, strong and athletic. Just think of what Strachan was saying the other night. Hence we would go for the likes of Oxlaide-Chamberlain over David Silva or similar in this country.

I loved Souness. When I saw the 50/50, my 1st thought was "that'll upset the staunch"
Signing Johnstone destroyed Celtic. For years they held the moral high ground "we sign anybody"
They only signed protestants because there weren't enough good RC's. Signing Johnstone swept them away and to this day they can't bear it. Guys like Neil McCann made it worse.
I remember when we had John Spencer. Ian Archer said we wouldn't sign a grown up RC. When we signed MoJo, Archer said we wouldn't sign a real RC, like an Italian who went regularly to chapel. Signing big Amo etc, sent him to his piss ridden, early grave.

Its wasnt about him being a rc its him asxa person and who he was.. and to call guys who never went back fuckwits is out of order...I recall the whole stadium singing rangers and catholics dont go..
Were they all,fuckwits
You said folk didn't go back cos he crossed himself. I'm saying if that was the case they were fuckwits and we are well rid. Could do with getting rid of more lol them IMO

I must admit,it was one hell of a ballsy move by Souness,which I reckon only he could pull off,worked out but,Johnston was a cracking player for us,that Lob at the piggery,in front of their fans was outstanding,I’ll never forget that.

It can't just be me who's fed up reading the story about signing Johnston. I've read it that many times over the years I could almost recite it word for word.

"The knock-on effect of us signing Maurice demoralised Celtic. He’d come back from Nantes for a few days in Glasgow, there was a photograph taken with Billy McNeill, Celtic’s manager, and he was going back to sign for them. Next thing, he’s our player. It prevented them from signing one of the best Scottish players around at the time, so we weakened them, but the psychological damage lasted for years afterwards."

It still hurts them to this day almost 30 years later. They still bang on about our signing policy over a quarter of a century later, no mention is ever made that the biggest opposition to us signing RC's comes from RC's, I suppose this is one of the end products of a sectarian schooling system which is also conveniently never mentioned.

Back