Souness on the comparison between him and Gerrard

Souness also never left us right before a cup final and having players now openly telling people that the manager wasn’t present at training for a month
Souness left us with about 4 games to go in a very close league season. Gerrard left before a cup semi.

I remember the Souness departure very well, the bitterness around Gerrard is nowhere near how people felt towards Souness and what he did.

We all mellow with time and Souness is now back to hero status, Gerrard will get the same.

Souness left us with about 4 games to go in a very close league season. Gerrard left before a cup semi.

I remember the Souness departure very well, the bitterness around Gerrard is nowhere near how people felt towards Souness and what he did.

We all mellow with time and Souness is now back to hero status, Gerrard will get the same.
I do not remember bitterness toward Souness.
He left for the one club we knew he would.
He also offered to stay and see the season out.
He left a succession plan behind and a very able one at that.

Souness also never left us right before a cup final and having players now openly telling people that the manager wasn’t present at training for a month
To be fair, Souness left us with only three games of the season remaining and a title that still had to be won.

Admittedly Murray told him to bolt there and then (Souness wanted to wait until the season finished), but all the same - the timing was hardly ideal.

I was young at the time but didn't Souness want to stay until the end of the season but Murray told him no and that he was leaving right away?

I do not remember bitterness toward Souness.
He left for the one club we knew he would.
He also offered to stay and see the season out.
He left a succession plan behind and a very able one at that.
I remember the entire stadium booing him as he walked out to manage the ‘old’ Rangers team in Scott Nisbet’s testimonial, which must have been about 5 years after he left.

First part of the post is factually incorrect, safe to say the second part is too?

I’ve heard rumours that Gerrard was absent a lot this season too hence the lack of Training Videos.

That’s all they are though and that’s all they ever will be. Nobody will thrown him under the bus.
There's next to nothing that suggests that isn't people doing 2+2 and getting 5.

As the poster said perhaps time is a healer , only feeling I remember was one of panic after losing 3-0 at Motherwell in the penultimate game.
That late Motherwell goal that meant we had to win rather than draw.

The passage of time is now kind to Souness, the majority felt betrayed, a small percentage blamed the SFA for running him out of Scottish football.

I’ve heard rumours that Gerrard was absent a lot this season too hence the lack of Training Videos.

That’s all they are though and that’s all they ever will be. Nobody will thrown him under the bus.
I'm sure Andy Halliday said on superscoreboard he didn't take training much which I thought was bizarre as they always had videos of Gerrard up making passes and scoring in training

We’d all know if he missed training, so that’s pretty much bollocks - he wasn’t around as much with the team in situations like nights before games like before though iv heard and that’s backed up with him posting vids and pics on instagram the day before away games of him with his family

I think it’s clear he lost his drive at us this season, and him leaving has given the players that drive back, if your manager doesn’t have the drive, it’s natural the players will slacken off.

The passage of time is now kind to Souness, the majority felt betrayed, a small percentage blamed the SFA for running him out of Scottish football.
Perhaps the fact he left for the only club he ever would and not jumped ship at the first opportunity has helped peoples understanding.

Last edited:

Tbf to Souness, the SFA and the media hated him and Rangers for revolutionising the game up here. They've still never forgiven him or us for that. At one time, Souness, Sir Walter, even our reserve coach McGregor, were serving ludicrous long-term touchline bans. It was a vendetta against Rangers.

It doesn’t he left for the club he’d player for most of his career a club dear to his heart , Gerrard left for Aston Villa.
And? Both ultimately left for career reasons.

So Souness is considered a massive Rangers man despite dumping us to move to a team he prefers? If your Rangers then your Rangers. You can’t be considered a fan that likes Liverpool more. That’s bullshit.

This is spot on, there was a lot of anger towards souness at that first game and remember he offered to see the season out

Back