Souness reveals what Gerrard needs to change

Recoba

Official Ticketer
SPORT
Graeme Souness reveals what Steven Gerrard needs to change in his Rangers side urgently
Allan McGregor's sending off on Sunday was the Ibrox outfit's 12th red card of season.

Graeme Souness admits it’s a bit rich for him to talk about indiscipline at Rangers.
But, as he eyes the dirty dozen which severely-damaged Steven Gerrard’s chances of winning a trophy this term, he says it is something the manager simply has to address and needs to sort out.

inRead invented by Teads

Gerrard was left stunned, shocked and disappointed as Allan McGregor’s needless kick-out at Hibs star Marc McNulty landed Rangers a 12th red card of the campaign.
Souness, of course, has been there at the centre of storms and orderings-off.
The former player-manager was sent off on his Rangers debut as player-manager for launching Hibs star George McCluskey and racked up scarlets in crunch clashes against the likes of Celtic and Aberdeen.
Souness says players have to be on the edge at Ibrox. It’s part of the deal.

But, in a changing footballing world where aggression on the park is viewed differently from his days, insists it has to be controlled and channelled.

And, as Gerrard struggles to get his players to toe the line, Souness is adamant he must fix it to progress successfully in the job.
He said: “There’s always pressure when you play for Rangers and I’m the right person to speak about being sent off wearing a Rangers jersey.
“I played most of my career in England and was only sent off once, playing for Middlesbrough.
“I was sent off a few times when I was with Sampdoria but, up here, I must have been sent off three or four times, Easter Road, Parkhead and Pittodrie, so I know what that pressure is like.
“You don’t want to take that out of people’s games, but what you need is controlled aggression.
“You can’t play at the highest level without having a certain amount of aggravation in your system, but it’s about controlling that.
“I know it’s rich coming from me, but you can’t step across the line as the game has changed dramatically in the last decade.
“It’s not difficult because he’s a young manager. It’s difficult for ANY manager.

“You have better pitches, which means players don’t have to take an extra touch and that, in turn, means that there are fewer challenges, plus the rules nowadays are far stricter.
“Management has never been harder. When people play against Rangers, and I learned this pretty quickly, there are two types.
“You either have a mad Celtic supporter who wants to beat you for that reason or you have a kid who grew up supporting Rangers and wants to sign for them.
“I’d play against someone and think: He’s decent; I’ll keep an eye on him.
“Then, when I’d go and see him playing against another team a few weeks later, he’d be a yard short in his pace and aggression.
“That’s the challenge you have playing for Rangers and it’s exactly the same for Celtic. It’s always the other team’s biggest game of the season and that will never change.”

(Image: PA)READ MOR

Souness was scathing in his assessment of McGregor’s conduct on Sunday.
He added: “That [kick-out] is ill discipline and that’s not acceptable.
“How old is Allan McGregor? 36, 37? He should have worked that out by now. Like the centre-forward they have, who’s reaching the point of no return with the things he gets sent off for.”
Souness was, of course, referring to Alfredo Morelos, who has been responsible for FIVE of the Rangers reds this term.
Although the first was rescinded for a kick-out at Aberdeen, the 22-year-old’s misbehaviour has been a huge problem for Gerrard and the ex-gaffer says it’s halting his and the team’s progress.
Morelos was duped into lashing-out by Scott Brown in the last Old Firm game and Souness shrugged: “He got mugged off.

(Image: SNS)
“That was an old senior pro [Brown] playing the game. Did he get the reactions he was after? He certainly did. You go through life, not just football, and you have to learn from your mistakes.
“That was a mistake and the big clubs in England won’t be looking at him. Elsewhere? Maybe.
“It’s how they [English] see the Scottish game, unfortunately.
“The hardest thing to do in football is score goals. Yes you might get someone in the Championship taking a chance on him, but I can’t see the Liverpools and Manchester Citys and Manchester Uniteds being interested in him. That’s how I see it.
“I wouldn’t know [his valuation], but I’d very much doubt big teams would be interested. Maybe lower end of the Premier League, but they would question his discipline.
“He’s a player, a real player, but he needs to get that out of his game. He’s somehow got to keep that fire, but control that fire.”
While the indiscipline has not been only reason for Rangers failing to win silver this term, Souness believes Gerrard is getting close to Celtic.

However, he has told the Ibrox board the gaffer needs cash and said: “He’s done very well. They’re far closer to Celtic.
“The word inconsistency springs to mind, but that can happen when you have a group of players, I need to be careful what I say here, but he’s lacking in quality and he knows that.
“Steven can’t say that because he needs to keep those players onside, but he lacks a bit of quality.
“Even so, they’re not a million miles away. Results suggest that because they’re only nine points behind and that’s closer than they’ve been for years.
“I would see them improving again next year, although they need to get some more players in.
“There are two ways to do that. You either buy them or promote them through your system and I don‘t know what he’s got coming through there.
“Whether he has the money to improve things, I don’t know.

(Image: SNS Group)
“But at all big clubs you’re under pressure to get results and Steven needs some help.
“He needs a few quid to spend because he’s not too far away from catching Celtic.”
Graeme Souness was speaking at The Kris Boyd Charity Golf Day at Trump Turnberry. The Boyd Charity raises funds and awareness for Mental Health.

I think Souness is right when he says the top clubs in England won’t be looking at Morelos because of his indicispline.

I think that will help in our quest to keep him.

Lower end Premier League clubs, one or two clubs abroad. But his tendency to do stupid things will ensure some clubs stay clear.

Hopefully we can keep him for another season and he changes.

Probably wrong to pick up on only one point, and I’m not suggesting he is anywhere near the same level, but being an utter maniac on the pitch hasn’t exactly deterred “Big Clubs” from signing Suarez...

Goals mean prizes. I’m not saying he can’t or shouldn’t change, but the diminishing of Morelos due to some indiscipline and some very questionable refereeing is laughable.

Alfie has only this season as a problem . In Finland never had discipline issues . First season with us no problems .
Something has changed and I don't think it's Alfie's style of play ,with his record this season someone from outside our country would think he has put half a dozen guys in hospital he's not , in all his spendings of and bookings not one player has been injured or subbed .
I know he has a daft streak in him most geniuses have
Think he will go hopefully not but next season we play with a two up front so Alfie can share the kicks.
So What's changed ,in my view the order was given out from lawells to target him .It was Jack last season , Alfie this season and I suspect it could be Arfield next season

Wish brown had been playing for the scum bout 30yrs ago when mr souness was around ..... said it before... hes a very lucky boy is brown ....his career peaked when there hasnt been a challenge and hes won medals that far better scum players could only dream about winning ....
Brown doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Souness.

I'm not going to even try to defend Alfie - he definately should have wised up by now

BUT if anyone actually scrutinised his red cards - & honestly compared them with similar incidents in the EPL, Championship or similar leagues abroad they'd soon realise :

1. Alfie is far from being a dirty player
2. Almost all his cards are for retaliation
3. Most of his mis-demeanours occur in other leagues week in week out but rarely warrant more than a foul.
4. The opponents causing the retalliation almost never get punished

If a club interested in signing him is put off by all this - then they shouldn't sign him -
but I'm still convinced more than half of Alfies problems / punishments only happen in Scotland
& I fully expect most of his discipinary record to greatly reduce in another league - just like his previous stint in Finland

Reading Souness comments (much as I love him) makes me think he hasn't looked at the actual details afffecting our disciplinary record

& By the way I'd love Alfie to stay

I'm a big fan of Morelos, but his discipline isn't the reason he won't go to a top 4 team, hes just not at that level yet. If he did go to England I'd imagine he'd be mid table premiership, if he proves himself there then he'll get his bigger move.

Souness doesn't watch us regularly and probably couldn't name our starting 11. It'll have been casual comments to reporters at the weekend golf thing he was on.

Probably wrong to pick up on only one point, and I’m not suggesting he is anywhere near the same level, but being an utter maniac on the pitch hasn’t exactly deterred “Big Clubs” from signing Suarez...

Goals mean prizes. I’m not saying he can’t or shouldn’t change, but the diminishing of Morelos due to some indiscipline and some very questionable refereeing is laughable.

Ha. I thought it was commonly known that Suarez's behaviour was specifically linked to his desire to leave certain clubs. He's been red-carded once in five years in Spain and that was for two yellows.

Not suggesting that Morelos is up to the same, of course, but not sure it's the best example.

“Sooooooouuuuuunnnnneeeessssss.......”

sounesstackle2.gif

Ha. I thought it was commonly known that Suarez's behaviour was specifically linked to his desire to leave certain clubs. He's been red-carded once in five years in Spain and that was for two yellows.

Not suggesting that Morelos is up to the same, of course, but not sure it's the best example.

I'd disagree. I'd say it actually backs my point up further mate - that even by deliberately acting like a maniac he still got the big moves...?? Whereas Souness suggests that ill-disciplined players are avoided by big clubs.

As has the treatment of our discipline.
Worse offenses are committed weekly and are routinely ignored.
Equitable treatment by officials would almost certainly mean that the fat lady was still clearing her throat.
Thats all smashing but not really relevant to our own discipline issues. Its excuses.

"whit aboot aw a them". Nonsense.

As has the treatment of our discipline.
Worse offenses are committed weekly and are routinely ignored.
Equitable treatment by officials would almost certainly mean that the fat lady was still clearing her throat.

It is massively disappointing that Souness, amongst others, are buying into this horse manure that we have an inherent discipline problem. It simply isn't true. We are reffed differently to other teams in this League, even Gerrard said the same after the first game of the season. Accepting this nonsense only gives refs an even freer hand to dole out more ludicrous yellows and reds. We will be hammered by refs even more now that the " thug Rangers " label is now being normalised.

I'm not going to even try to defend Alfie - he definately should have wised up by now

BUT if anyone actually scrutinised his red cards - & honestly compared them with similar incidents in the EPL, Championship or similar leagues abroad they'd soon realise :

1. Alfie is far from being a dirty player
2. Almost all his cards are for retaliation
3. Most of his mis-demeanours occur in other leagues week in week out but rarely warrant more than a foul.
4. The opponents causing the retalliation almost never get punished

If a club interested in signing him is put off by all this - then they shouldn't sign him -
but I'm still convinced more than half of Alfies problems / punishments only happen in Scotland
& I fully expect most of his discipinary record to greatly reduce in another league - just like his previous stint in Finland

Reading Souness comments (much as I love him) makes me think he hasn't looked at the actual details afffecting our disciplinary record

& By the way I'd love Alfie to stay

You surely can’t expect him to say he thinks there’s a conspiracy behind all the sendings off.

Our discipline has been questionable but I agree a lot of sending offs were shocking (Morelos vs Sheep x 2, Candeias vs St Midden, even McGregors on Sunday only warrants a yellow). But you can’t imagine anyone in the public eye saying they think it wouldn’t happen elsewhere......it is plain to see the 12 red cards this season is 12 too many. Some have cost us (paedo dome recently) and some haven’t but it needs addressed regardless.

Stop the retaliation, go down like you’ve been shot and make the referee make a decision against the other team!

Stop the retaliation, go down like you’ve been shot and make the referee make a decision against the other team!

and get booked for it? :rolleyes:

reads like Souness never watches any of our matches other than the ones V the scum. Typical generic baws to continue the narrative against our players this season

yup there is definitely areas that need to be cleared up, deserved red cards but there is no way we deserve 12 from this season, team isn't anything like that. Our major problem is how we get analysed from first minute to last from TV stations who hate our existence

Suarez who had bitten players whilst at Ajax too. What he’s done is far worse than most players I’ve seen (racial slur at Evra too) and yet there would have been no shortage of suitors.

Reads like someone that doesn’t watch Rangers. All a bit generic from Souness.

He probably doesn't. He's either working when we're playing or watching EPL games so he keeps up to speed with whats going on down there. I doubt he downloads a VPN and subscribes to RTV.

I have always loved Souness and remember the day he took over and everything he done for the club as though it was only a few years ago.

He makes some fair points and will understand what its like to be a young manager at Ibrox better than anyone, but while hes right about the opposition being motivated he does not seem to understand how refereeing has completely changed and just how fired up they are too, to cause the club as many problems as possible.

Wish brown had been playing for the scum bout 30yrs ago when mr souness was around ..... said it before... hes a very lucky boy is brown ....his career peaked when there hasnt been a challenge and hes won medals that far better scum players could only dream about winning ....
Terry Hurlock would have broke the rat in two

You surely can’t expect him to say he thinks there’s a conspiracy behind all the sendings off.

Our discipline has been questionable but I agree a lot of sending offs were shocking (Morelos vs Sheep x 2, Candeias vs St Midden, even McGregors on Sunday only warrants a yellow). But you can’t imagine anyone in the public eye saying they think it wouldn’t happen elsewhere......it is plain to see the 12 red cards this season is 12 too many. Some have cost us (paedo dome recently) and some haven’t but it needs addressed regardless.

Why would I 'expect him to say he thinks there's a conspiracy .....'?

Did my post suggest that ?

Nah just spend 4 or 5 times as much as everyone else, coast til May and pick up your medals.

Meanwhile back in reality Souness is bang on.

Souness doesn't say anything wrong. Just because he's not went into the nuances that have led to some of the 'disciplinary issues' doesn't mean he isn't right. Anyone who has taken to trying to discredit what he says needs a hug.

Why would I 'expect him to say he thinks there's a conspiracy .....'?

Did my post suggest that ?
That happens an awful lot in here, people jump to conclusions and try to put words in your mouth (or fingers rather).
I actually find his remarks about Morelos, and to a lesser extent the club, a bit disparaging.

He is clearly out of touch and his comments on Alfredo are ridiculous especially when it would appear he doesn't even know his name.

Our most urgent need is to know how to beat packed defenses. Livi, Killie and the SSB's took points of us that cost us.

It is massively disappointing that Souness, amongst others, are buying into this horse manure that we have an inherent discipline problem. It simply isn't true. We are reffed differently to other teams in this League, even Gerrard said the same after the first game of the season. Accepting this nonsense only gives refs an even freer hand to dole out more ludicrous yellows and reds. We will be hammered by refs even more now that the " thug Rangers " label is now being normalised.

Spot on.

“Sooooooouuuuuunnnnneeeessssss.......”

sounesstackle2.gif

Has to be up there with some of yhe worst assualts on a football pitch and remarkably still stayed in the park.

I was at the game and remember all of us where I sat locking at each other, stunned at what Souness had done and a matter of seconds later, killing ourselves laughing that somehow he had escaped a red card. He truly was a magnificent bastard.

He's not buying into anything. He doesn't watch us.

Back