Souttar

If Goldson can perform in Europe, Souttar will have no problems.
he does it for Scotland, so will be no probs in a european match like you said. he's got technique and fight, a rare combination in a scottish player.
remember he's nowhere near tip top fitness or form due to his injuries, but we can all see that he's good on the ball and can make a pass. that pass he made to Tav in the hibs game was something none of our other defenders could have made.
anything Goldson can do, Souttar can too, but not the other way round imo, he stays injury free, then time and prove you and I right

I have no doubt it fit he's a real asset - get through a full pre season and hit the ground running next season

I still think we need to sign a first class centre half of goldson quality , especially with goldson injury and souttar history recently
Goldson quality?

Whem did we last keep a clean sheet with this messiah goldson?

Same looneys backing kent and morelos all sesdon is why we fi ish with zilch.

Souttar and Goldson at the top of their game is a very formidable central defence for us to build around for next season.
But once again both are right sided defenders, we are back to square pegs in round holes, who is playing on the left side of defence?

Whilst his display in the cup final was encouraging, his performance against Livi got him panned & his lengthy injury problem got him written off, but he’s been really impressive since his return.

It’s early days I know, but am beginning to think he could indeed be a better player than Goldson - he’s very good at carrying the ball out of defence, his long range passing is on a par, he’s good at getting his body in the way of shots, and he looks a bigger goal threat.

Keeping him injury free is the issue.

Goldson quality?

Whem did we last keep a clean sheet with this messiah goldson?

Same looneys backing kent and morelos all sesdon is why we fi ish with zilch.
Wow - take it you're omitting the season he was pivotal in winning the league, the seasons he was pivotal on us progressing in europe or the season we got to a European final and won a cup?

I agree with your comment kent and Morelos they have overstayed their shelf life as a rangers player but to put Connor goldson in that category is just utter nonesense.

He now looks relaxed and confident compared to the Souttar we saw against Livingston. Hopefully goes from strength to strength with us now.

Beale loves him.

"A mention for John Souttar who’s played three games this week and been outstanding. He is a top footballer..."

I get people being wary because of his injury record, but it was utterly bizarre seeing certain posters double down that he "isn't that good," "Hearts level player" and what not. The ability is evidently ripping out of him. It's always been about fitness.

Wow - take it you're omitting the season he was pivotal in winning the league, the seasons he was pivotal on us progressing in europe or the season we got to a European final and won a cup?

I agree with your comment kent and Morelos they have overstayed their shelf life as a rangers player but to put Connor goldson in that category is just utter nonesense.

Take a deep breath, count the trophies since Goldson came in and think about it 2 in 16.... And as you mention, if Goldson was able to cut out low balls from the right, we win a european trophy.

Souttar has been in more cup finals than Goldson. In the same period. That speaks volumes.

But once again both are right sided defenders, we are back to square pegs in round holes, who is playing on the left side of defence?

I don't think this is as big an issue as people like to make out that it is. Left footers are a rarity in the game, something like only 10% of footballers are left footed.

It's becoming more and more common that players are two footed though and most of the really good players are excellent with both feet. However, some of the best defensive pairings in the world over the years have been made up of two right footers (Terry and Carvalho, Rio and Vidic, Nesta and Stam, Puyol and Pique, Ramos and Varane, Stones and Dias are all right footed players).

It's a non issue for me. Good players adapt.

I don't think this is as big an issue as people like to make out that it is. Left footers are a rarity in the game, something like only 10% of footballers are left footed.

It's becoming more and more common that players are two footed though and most of the really good players are excellent with both feet. However, some of the best defensive pairings in the world over the years have been made up of two right footers (Terry and Carvalho, Rio and Vidic, Nesta and Stam, Puyol and Pique, Ramos and Varane, Stones and Dias are all right footed players).

It's a non issue for me. Good players adapt.

Agreed but try playing Goldson on the left side though:))

It took me a while to be convinced of his quality I admit and I still think there’s some rawness to him but he should be a solid partner for Goldson and will hopefully reach Goldson’s level in the next couple of years as a result, I’m just wondering if there’s another level above that we need as well for Europe/Celtic.
The only issue with souttar is his fitness , his quality is not in doubt . Also a danger he won’t be able to deal with the amount of games Rangers play. If you think he is not good enough for Celtic or Europe I think you are wrong . Much more suited to Scottish football than Goldson I would say , all over strikers like a bad rash .

We do it all the time.

Preseason-best transfer business ever -players that hadn’t kicked a ball.

End of season dead rubbers are now defining future Rangers captains and certain starters for next season-it’s mental.

We do it all the time.

Preseason-best transfer business ever -players that hadn’t kicked a ball.

End of season dead rubbers are now defining future Rangers captains and certain starters for next season-it’s mental.
We do it, you dont.

You criticise, write them off and wait for any excuse to say i told you i was right.

You will get the chance to say at some point as no one is on form all the time everyone has a tough spell, its not today though.

btw, will you or anyone else that dislikes these threads because of previous mental comments be letting us know when it is ok to give the lad some credit and say hes a very good player.

Take a deep breath, count the trophies since Goldson came in and think about it 2 in 16.... And as you mention, if Goldson was able to cut out low balls from the right, we win a european trophy.

Souttar has been in more cup finals than Goldson. In the same period. That speaks volumes.
Deep breath taken , How many cup finals has souttar won in that time ? I have been very impressed with souttar since he came in but can't help but feel he has yet to prove he can be depended on fitness and quality wise

Starfelt has won more trophy's in his time that goldson , does that make him a better centre half ?

The trophy count I agree isn't good enough but u can't lay that blame solely on goldson ? The Seville goal IMO was the faults of a number of players , Tav not stopping the cross , Goldson allowing the ball to come across him and Bassey not engaging with the spare man to stop the contact

You could also look at the GVB decline and many people citing one of the reasons we were shipping so many goals was the absence of goldson, we then seen that evidence come true when goldson returned( amongst several other factors )

Gerrard , GVB and Beale so far seem to be of the same view but we will see what happens over summer .

Perhaps in a few years, but right now he’s not on Goldson’s level mate.
Im not interesting in slagging off any of the players Goldson is important for us but i dont see how hes not at that level already. Im pretty sure if you asked Beale he would say both my centre backs are crucial going into next year, he probably will add one with some pace right enough as back up.

You mean he needs to play as often as Goldson, or maybe has to play well in huge games to prove hes of a similar standard ? i suppose id understand that.

Must remember though we had the same stuff about Patterson a lot of posters were left stunned and completely embarrassed when he went for 14m quid cos they were sure being the Scot means its impossible to be anywhere near Tavs level.

Got to admit I was sceptical about his signing. The little I’d watched him (pre us) he looked alright easily the best player in an. Hearts team but nothing to write home about. Cup final last season thought he was pretty good.
My only nagging doubt is his injury history. If he stays fit he should be the managers go to centre back. Been solid since coming in and has such a great range of passing. I’ve enjoyed him being in the side.

Best centre half at the club, the needed aggression and power we lack, another clean sheet.

He starts before goldson and a new cb will come in too.
I don’t think that’s likely at this point.
I’m not saying I disagree but it probably hasn’t been proven yet.
What I would say is that if, and I’m not hoping this’ll happen, Goldson doesn’t make the start of next season, I’ll be more concerned about Souttar’s partner than Souttar himself.

Very good performance from a guy that is very clearly a very good defender. I hope we can keep him fit as he will make a massive impact. I guess that is the worrying part though - will we be able to keep him fit?

Gonna be interesting what happens if he's fit and we bring in a decent left sided CB.

Right CB: A fit Souttar or Goldson?
Souttar. More commanding and puts himsekf in where it hurts.

Goldson ducks out the way.

Reason for 2 trophies is 5 seasons is same serial losers and lack of fight, we had one player in ketic who would throw his body on the line to defend.

Goldson and davies more technical than hardy b.

Yet again we see the best of John Souttar and all his capabilities and I’m very happy with what I’ve seen. Always knew he was more than good but glad it’s now showing for Rangers.

For next season would you have him and Goldson together as the pair?

I know I would and continue to add quality.
Wouldn’t have Goldson there are far better defenders. Aye I am always on his case but 90% of the the goals we concede are due to him.

Souttar. More commanding and puts himsekf in where it hurts.

Goldson ducks out the way.

Reason for 2 trophies is 5 seasons is same serial losers and lack of fight, we had one player in ketic who would throw his body on the line to defend.

Goldson and davies more technical than hardy b.

Goldson will be our number 1 centre back and rightly so.

I like Souttar but he’s not on Goldsons level…..yet. Souttar should be 3rd choice centre back next season for me.

Goldson, Souttar and Davies are all better than Katic. I liked big Katic but he’s nowhere near the level required unfortunately.

Gonna be interesting what happens if he's fit and we bring in a decent left sided CB.

Right CB: A fit Souttar or Goldson?
Three at back next season ?
We definitely need another inlicenter half for next season
Austin Trusty
I still think Sanderson of wolves could be another option especially played at QPR and was name came up in January

Best centre half at the club, the needed aggression and power we lack, another clean sheet.

He starts before goldson and a new cb will come in too.
He’s as aggressive as Goldson if not more so, and he’s a better footballer
None of our other defenders can see a pass like Souttar can
That pass to Tav at the hibs game for example

Last edited:
I confess I had him written off, but he has looked quite sold in the past few games. We are still prone to defensive lapses though as we saw yesterday

I know you aren’t, and I agree with your point. Though a few were ready to send him back to Hearts after we drew to Livingston on the first day :))
He looked slower than a week in the jail. Let’s hope for a great preseason for all our players. Get our title back.

Deary me. Rewind to 3 months ago and the opinion on Souttar was at an all time low on here.

Yet here we are 3 months later and 'he's a much better footballer than Goldson' and 'a future Rangers captain'. Nothing quite like FF to do an even handed analysis of a player B-D.

Souttar has surprised me in recent games. But the OF game aside, the games have been dead rubbers of little importance. Let's keep the heid and see how he stands up to scrutiny in the first 6 months of the new season, if he comes through that with no fresh injury concerns, I'll be chuffed for both us and him. I'm really glad it appears he's got his fitness back and has shone in recent games, pre season should do wonders for him. Think both him and Yilmaz needed that before heading into pre season, if anything to get the doubters off their backs.

A lot of positives so far imo and he is eventually turning out to be a good singing.
Outwith defending in the box he also has an eye for a forward pass and looks mad keen to get on the end of a corner for the header. Most of all, he looks enthusiastic an attribute lacking in more than a few senior squad of late.

Deary me. Rewind to 3 months ago and the opinion on Souttar was at an all time low on here.

Yet here we are 3 months later and 'he's a much better footballer than Goldson' and 'a future Rangers captain'. Nothing quite like FF to do an even handed analysis of a player B-D.
You do understand that not every poster has the same opinion and posts the same messages.

Some talked a lot of crap about John Souttar( prob cos hes a free from a small club in the league) and are still doing it, some knew he was excellent with Hearts so there was every chance he would perform just as well at Ibrox.

A lot of pundits up here really like the player they always say hes quality our own manager has said Souttar is an important player, a top class footballer.

You do your scouting report mate, collect the data and assess him over the season and let us all know if/when its ok to be positive about any performances.

Just shows that money doesn’t always translate to quality, ie 4m Davies.

Gives me hope for the transfer window. The likes of Cantwell and Raskin too, didn’t cost us a fortune.

Back