Spakenburg: Possibly the Biggest Amateur Derby in the World.

drgriffen

From tifos, to pyrotechnics, to fans wearing Guy Fawkes suits holding guns.....welcome to the Spakenburg derby.

Article on the match:

https://supportersnotcustomers.com/2014/03/30/the-spakenburg-derby/

DxR1zelWkAERKFv.jpg

DxR1zerWsAA7lXr.jpg

Interested in Dutch football? I was going to start a thread on it but I'm nowhere near as active in my support as you are in your Argentina thread.

Interested in Dutch football? I was going to start a thread on it but I'm nowhere near as active in my support as you are in your Argentina thread.

Not really. Saw a post about the match on twitter and decided to find out how intense the rivalry was.

If you have an interest in Dutch football then you should start a thread. Don't compare it to the one on Argieball - I've tried to shape it (with the help of others) into what I like: more than just football - make it what you want a football thread to be. That way you'll be far more likely to stick with it.

Good luck.

Last edited:
A few things that aren't mentioned is that Spakenburg is joined to a town called Bunschoten. Here is also a lot of rivalry as Bunschoten was largely a farming village and Spakenburg was a fishing village. Religion also plays a large role in the village with Spakenburg having a large reformed Church following. I believe that Bunschoten is classed as a town and Spakenburg only has a village status and that also throws up a lot of rivalry. The Christian Union is the biggest political party in the area.
I have walked past the stadium many times but have never been to a match there. The rivalry in the town\village is well known in Holland though.

Have been and am drg. And they saw all habit is failure!

Before getting started my nephew was insisting Auchinleck v Cumnock gives the Spakenburg derby a run for its money.

A few things that aren't mentioned is that Spakenburg is joined to a town called Bunschoten. Here is also a lot of rivalry as Bunschoten was largely a farming village and Spakenburg was a fishing village. Religion also plays a large role in the village with Spakenburg having a large reformed Church following. I believe that Bunschoten is classed as a town and Spakenburg only has a village status and that also throws up a lot of rivalry. The Christian Union is the biggest political party in the area.
I have walked past the stadium many times but have never been to a match there. The rivalry in the town\village is well known in Holland though.
So that'll be a Blue thumbs up from me! :))

Back