Teodoro Sobrino (ESP)
Iñigo Prieto (ESP)

Video Assistant Referee
José María Sánchez (ESP)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Raúl Cabañero (ESP)

Fourth official
Pablo González Fuertes (ESP)

So far this season, has given 111 yellows and 4 reds.

Reffed Braga earlier this season when they played at home to Spartak Moscow and also done the recent Madrid derby

Elcollum and Iniestclancy might be watching for some tips. The VAR will be interesting though. We might even see a ball hitting a hand meaning its a foul? Wow how great would that be!!

Unlike Scotland, I don't believe it's cheating but we've had some horrendous refereeing performances in Europe this season.

Would I be right in saying we have had quite a few games in Europe this year where the referee has come from a neighbouring country of our opponent?

Have we ever had an English referee?

Just curious, not a conspiracy theory or anything

Referee
Xavier Estrada Fernandez (ESP)

Assistant referees
Teodoro Sobrino (ESP)
Iñigo Prieto (ESP)

Video Assistant Referee
José María Sánchez (ESP)

Assistant Video Assistant Referee
Raúl Cabañero (ESP)

Fourth official
Pablo González Fuertes (ESP)
What school did they go to?

Elcollum and Iniestclancy might be watching for some tips. The VAR will be interesting though. We might even see a ball hitting a hand meaning its a foul? Wow how great would that be!!

As long as it's not against us.:eek:

Spanish refs have been dodgy for years and certain teams always get the breaks hope I’m wrong about this guy

You just know any goal we score is going to VAR, not for any conspiracy reason, just because it will happen.

hence my earlier post , it'd be like an Rep of Ireland ref getting a tim game

Even at that I would liken it to drawn a French side - should we have an English match officials if you are working it on geographical location?

We have Braga yet it is Spanish match officials

Just looked up Braga's last match which was in Slovakia and it had Polish match officials

Last edited:
Watched the Chelsea game last night and VAR changed the game in Man United’s favour. So I’d imagine in Scotland it will be specially programmed to benefit Saville’s 11.

I don’t think there's any love lost between the Spanish and Portuguese.

Correct. Folk assume that because they're next to each other they'll be all chummy, when loads of neighbouring countries have long histories of conflict. Posters suggesting that there's something untoward going on need to get a grip.

I don't think we have ever had an English referee in a European game
It doesnt happen, I remember Alex Ferguson joking that he had to apologise to a Socttish ref, I'm assuming Hugh Dallas, after Man U getting to the final stopped Dallas getting it.

Barisic kamara and Morelos are all one booking away from a suspension so we need to ensure they don’t get a stupid booking in this game. Jack suspended for Thursday after red card against young boys

It doesn’t really sit that well with me that we’re getting Spanish refs against a Portuguese side, as noted above, I doubt we’d get an English ref.

Are Scottish and English refs not classed as British, therefore can't officiate each other?
FIFA hate that the home nations make up half the vote for IFAB when we are essentially the same country (the UK)

Yes the VAR are based at Stockley Park which is the Referee headquarters
This is the way forward only UEFA wide.

Random serving referees from different European countries watching games in purpose built studios in conjunction with the TV companies, changing perhaps weekly. Obviously no ref can VAR his own league. Any decisions needing reassesed being passed on to a panel of 3 for quick majority decision. Costly, but if all the main leagues are paying into it, it would become much cheaper for all. If all top referees were assigned for x amount of weeks a year, it would bring fairness and perhaps a European wide consistency that we all desire. Would keep local refs honest/take pressure off (depending on their personality) too knowing that they are being watched.

Back