Spare a thought for these 2 guys.

I was dead against it at the time

But then again I believed Warburton was going to get there for far longer than I should have done

& I regret to say I thought Pedro was going to be a winner - at least to begin with

So I certainly won't be bragging about a 1 out of three record

Anyway - isn't it wonderful we got Stevie G ?

Could 46% actually be the percentage of poets with logons on here?

It just made no sense whatsoever.

I should join Kerryfail Street and suggest Tommy Wright to replace TLB

Apparently he’s looking for a Scottish gig again lol :D

This for me.

Can not fathom anyone wanting DM at the helm.

But the Gerrard thread is definitely better viewing. Some of the comments are amusing.

As danger said there was another thread with over 80% but think it’s been deleted . Plenty of Rangers fans wanted him . I couldn’t understand but remember where we were and who else was linked with .

Y

Why you bothered ?

you only joined a month ago, how do you know how many threads there have been ?

If you were that concerned you could have joined a long, long time ago to voice your concern.
Kind of difficult if I haven’t joined, and how long do you know I’ve been on it?

McInnes would have been sacked by now . Thank duck it never happened god knows what state our squad would be in .

Either that or we'd all have been beaten into submission by post-match comments telling us the scum were unbeatable, how our players were overawed by their attacking play, and how much they'd spent in comparison to us.

What could have been....

_106520910_mcinnes-docherty.jpg

:)) :)) :))

tenor.gif
If he had ever taken it, he would have been long gone by now! Just not good enough

I got Warburton wrong , Pedro right, and instantly didn't want born loser and his huge poet posse
I got Warburton wrong, Pedro right and was completely ambivalent over McInnes given the caliber of alternatives being mentioned at the time. Warnock, Pardew, Potter, Neil, Clark, Moyes etc etc

It is hard to blame folk for accepting McInnes in the face of that.

Given the Pedro and Murty debacles, someone like McInnes was always going to seem like a 'safer' option than most given his experience in the league.

The board were infinitely braver than McInnes though, and took a calculated risk on a real leader coming in and forcing some professionalism on the club.

Thank Christ.

I think it has to be remembered that there was a feeling of "We need someone, he'll do." Bear in mind we had been managerless for too long a period of time when he was making his decision.

If I recall correctly, I wanted him in, but most likely on the basis of "FFS, get someone even semi-competent in." I think many of the 46% may have been of similar mind.

I admit I was wrong, and I'm sure the vast majority of that 46% would hold their hands up and admit they got it wrong.

At least you’re honest so fair play to you! One of the few backers that doesn’t hide away from these threads :D
I can't pretend that I'm a football genius. I love my club and decided that if the board thought McInnes was the man then I'd support him. It was a boring choice and decidedly underwhelming but I was prepared to go with it. Glad that we didn't have to experience it though. Could it have worked? Maybe, anything is possible, but it doesn't take a prophet to say we wouldn't have been anywhere near the level that SG has got us to. The McInnes "no" may prove to be one of the biggest moments in our recent history.

Many on here wanted DM. Argued like mad that he was the man for Rangers.
Maybe some did, not me, I felt that most were of the opinion that he wasn't their first or even second choice but if he had been given the job then we, as Rangers supporters, should get behind him and hope that he makes a success of it.:eek:

W.A.T.P.

These were the days Louis Moult was being touted as a realistic striking option. I think we were all punch drunk tbh - I’d give everyone a pass on this one.

That’s actually the way I feel, as well.

It’s hard to forget (although I’m sure we’ve all tried) just how utterly shite we were back at that point.

Rudderless, a series of pathetic management appointments since Sir Walter, tanking after shameful tanking at the hands of an ordinary scum side. It really was a bleak time to be a supporter. And let’s not forget the spivs having been raping us for years before that.

Against that backdrop I think it’s fair to say that the “he’d be slightly better than Warburton, Pedro, McCall, Murty“ factor can’t be underestimated. We were desperate.

Anyway, how lucky were we to land Dave King, TTBs, our current board and the management team we have now.

Last edited:
I remember well the feeling of utter hopelessness at this time - the ‘shortlists’ were horrific, there genuinely seemed no way out. It’s as if SG and his team were heaven sent, and I say that whether we win the league this year or not. Insane how far we’ve come from Murty doing handstands or chewing his jacket on the sidelines or McDowall‘s empty clipboard.

It showed how desperate the situation was that he was even considered I was for Preudhomme coming in at the time had a decent CV if he'd have took the job or not is a different story

I’d love to dig the thread out with the poll where 80% plus were happy to have him as our next manager. “Look at what he’s done with Aberdeen, give him our budget and he’ll do a good job”. A lot of that coming from the self-proclaimed experts who regularly talk down to folk :D

I’m delighted he shat his pants, it would have been an utterly grim appointment. I was apprehensive over Gerrard because it was a definite gamble, but with McInnes I could never fathom why anyone thought he’d be a good pick.

I felt sick when he was about to be confirmed. We'd have been only slightly better than Aberdeen with some awful football.

Wanted Frank de Boer at the time, and watching Murty that season was tough going.

Delighted at how it's turned out though. Gerrard has surpassed all our expectations.

That’s actually the way I feel, as well.

It’s hard to forget (although I’m sure we’ve all tried) just how utterly shite we were back at that point.

Rudderless, a series of pathetic management appointments since Sir Walter, tanking after shameful tanking at the hands of an ordinary scum side. It really was a bleak time to be a supporter. And let’s not forget the spivs having bern raping us for years before that.

Against that backdrop I think it’s fair to say that the “he’d be slightly better than Warburton, Pedro, McCall, Murty“ factor can’t be underestimated. We were desperate.

Anyway, how lucky were we to land Dave King, TTBs, our current board and the management team we have now.

Agree with this also.

There’s a lot of revisionism on this thread given that things have thankfully turned out well.

Things were truly grim back then with constant doings off the mhanks, being third in a two horse race and horrendous signings like Pena, Dalcio, Nemane etc. I can see why fans wanted McInnes to at least make us hard to beat and challenge for the cups.

Thankfully he never was appointed though tbf. We’d have never qualified qualified for the Europa League under him, always finished a distant second and our signings would have been overpriced Championship journeymen :oops:

I can't pretend that I'm a football genius. I love my club and decided that if the board thought McInnes was the man then I'd support him. It was a boring choice and decidedly underwhelming but I was prepared to go with it. Glad that we didn't have to experience it though. Could it have worked? Maybe, anything is possible, but it doesn't take a prophet to say we wouldn't have been anywhere near the level that SG has got us to. The McInnes "no" may prove to be one of the biggest moments in our recent history.

F#cking hell. I’ve just had another horrific flashback

“Underwhelmed” and all the whelmed patter that came with it o_O

There was definitely a big thread that would've been in the thousands in terms of posts.

There was some geezer who must have been a relative of Docherty who was giving me the right hump.

Scary times.

In the midst of what was being offered/mentioned as candidates at the time, McInnes was the best of a bad bunch. However, I'm glad he shat it and caused our board to reconsider what we needed ot take Rangers to the top again

The guy that sits next to me at Ibrox was adamant he was the right guy for the job. Denies saying it now lol.

Tbf, so did a good lot of this board. You would have thought the world was ending the night he pulled out.

He's not thinking what would have been because he doesn't have it in him. And he knows it. He's probably thought we would have stuck with Murty or the equivalent and still thought of him as our saviour not realising Stevie G had bigger plans.

Kind of difficult if I haven’t joined, and how long do you know I’ve been on it?

If you were that concerned you "would" have joined and voiced your concern.

Like the rest of us you would have had your view with many posters. You would have agreed or disagreed and put your point across at the time.

Not just come out the blue "pardon the pun" and have a go at a thread that has given past interest

Listen bud, I've had my moments on the forum. But Ive not just dived in to a thread or thread interest out the blue and told folk they shouldn't be discussing such things.

Fk me, I,ve been that drunk sometimes, That i struggle to remember who i disagreed with. Was it TN8 Or TNT, Was it Tazzabear or Turrabear. Next day i didn't care cos we were all bears and just had a difference of opinion.

But I've never just appeared on a thread out the blue having a go at the posters on a thread i disagree with, just for the thought of disagreeing with it.

Think it just shows how scunnered we all felt after enduring reins under McCoist, McDowell, McCall, Warburton, Murty, Caixinia & Murty again.

Standards had slipped so much we just craved being competitive against the dross of the league & in Mcinnes you had quick and easy fix.

Thank funk he said “no thanks” as in Steven Gerrard & his team we have everything we’ve been craving for the last 10 years.
Even he would have better than that lot, instead we got Pedro :rolleyes:

So glad he never came and if the rumours are true, maybe the media done us a favour with what might have been run in the rags after his alleged previous misdemeanors with players wives.

I never wanted him near our managers office and said I'd never renew my ST if he got the job. Fortunately that wasn't tested.

I would have got behind mcinnes in the dugout but the thought of docherty as his number 2 made it a no from me why employ someone that hates us and the club .

Many on here wanted DM. Argued like mad that he was the man for Rangers.

It's worth remembering how desperate the situation was.

I wasn't keen on him but I'd pretty much got to the stage of (grudging) acceptance on it all as it was at least an actual manager and not a zip chewing youth coach.

Thank %^*& it didn't happen.

What a sliding doors moment that was. We’d have been on to yet another manager and back to the drawing board by now.

I’d love to dig the thread out with the poll where 80% plus were happy to have him as our next manager. “Look at what he’s done with Aberdeen, give him our budget and he’ll do a good job”. A lot of that coming from the self-proclaimed experts who regularly talk down to folk :D

I’m delighted he shat his pants, it would have been an utterly grim appointment. I was apprehensive over Gerrard because it was a definite gamble, but with McInnes I could never fathom why anyone thought he’d be a good pick.
I just found this. Ffs I never realised it was that close. Nearly half wanted the loser according to this vote. :oops::eek:

Back