Spare a thought for these 2 guys.

McInnes is a good solid manager, knows exactly how to set a team up and is the perfect fit for a club like Aberdeen.

Rangers could and did do better thankfully.

Incidentally, Docherty is a big rhabid as we all know, he had huge reservations about taking the job with McInnes but he was willing to do it.

Many on here wanted DM. Argued like mad that he was the man for Rangers.

I was one of them. I didn’t think at the time we had the finance or ambition to go for a management team which we now have. I was wrong, thank god McInnes turned us down.

I just found this. Ffs I never realised it was that close. Nearly half wanted the loser according to this vote. :oops::eek:

(quickly scans thread to see if I replied on it ..... :)))

I'll admit it, I was all for us going for McInnes.

We were at a low ebb admittedly. I wasn't overly enthusiastic about McInnes, or his assistant, but thought he would be the best we could get at that moment in time.

When he rejected it, I think my disappointment subsided about 5 seconds after finding out. For Derek McInnes, I imagine that feeling will last for his entirety.

I'd love to know what the thought process was in the boardroom, after going for McInnes, failing ...... then going "Fuck it, let's go completely left field and get Gerrard !!"

McInnes would have improved us from where we were at that point. However we would have been nowhere near where we are now - certainly in Europe and the type of football we are playing - and I guess the earlier post suggesting by now he would have been sacked may well have been true. Thankfully we never got to find out.

I doubt any of us were expecting Steven Gerrard to be pulled out of the hat.

I am wondering if the whole McInnes thing was a smokescreen by the Rangers board while they were talking to Stevie G. There is no way the board wouldn't have put in an acceptable offer for/to McInnes if they really wanted him.

YVU0qob.gif

Just read through the 2017 poll, and delighted that I never posted on it.

Means I can now say I was 100% against him being our manager :))

Yes, same here !

Although tbh at the time I could see the logic behind it; but I wanted someone like GvB or of similar stature.

I also found a thread after it became clearer than McInnes wasn't to be ( a "Post McInnes Manager Wishlist Poll"), which is probably even more alarming ...

https://www.followfollow.com/forum/threads/post-mcinnes-manager-wishlist-poll.12064/

Whether people wanted him as manager or not it’s became crystal clear he’s not Rangers manager material and I shudder to think what kind of state we’d be in had he took the job. It was an act of sheer desperation from the board to seek his services and although appointing SG can be considered a gamble it was always the more likelier to be a good choice given the man’s background and stature in the game. We’ve come a long way and we’re going places now.

I admit I wanted him, having watched the Caixinha debacle and just wanted some degree of stability. It wouldn't have been great but I think I was just blinded by how much of a shit show we really were. Would we have been better off at the time? Maybe, but in the long run, it would have been an amalgamated disaster and we would be no where near where we are at the moment.

Had to laugh when Crocker and Ally were praising him yesterday during commentary for all he has done at Aberdeen during his tenure. What exactly has he done? The square roof of f all. Zero. Zilch. He found his level and is now imprisoned in his sheep pen for eternity. If it wasn't for RTV having a sound delay on my TV yesterday I would have turned it over when I heard them wallowing about hee haw. He is a serial loser, I don't think I've ever said before that I hate any of our ex-players but I genuinely despise him. Watch and weep McInnes.

My mate knows someone very close to McInnes , apparently it was a done deal he was even considering who he was picking to start that following weekend. My mate lumped 350 quid on him to be rangers next manager ( idiot ) And then McInnes changed his mind :D

Think it just shows how scunnered we all felt after enduring reins under McCoist, McDowell, McCall, Warburton, Murty, Caixinia & Murty again.

Standards had slipped so much we just craved being competitive against the dross of the league & in Mcinnes you had quick and easy fix.

Thank funk he said “no thanks” as in Steven Gerrard & his team we have everything we’ve been craving for the last 10 years.
This was the problem. We were getting used to absolute rubbish and couldn't see where the board could find a genuine contender with a winning mentality. And the longer it dragged on, the more people might have thought that McInnes looked reasonable.

I never got on that particular bandwagon but can understand why others did.

Back