Match Thread Spartak Moskva v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

Decision to play Flanagan ahead of Halliday may well have cost us the win. Having said that the offside goal we didn't get would likely have been a different second half and outcome. Some shocking defending.

The irony is I’ve been complaining about the lack of goals recently. Tonight we score three (arguably four), and defend like that.

A real missed opportunity, and one that may well cost us.

I honestly think the constant chopping and changing in the back four has unsettled what looked like a decent defence at the start of the season.

I feel sorry for McGregor who was excellent again tonight. He deserves better than that back four in front of him.

Sick of Gerrard's subs. Why does he persist in waiting so long every fucking time? Flanagan should have been off at HT and then costs us a goal.

Get it right ffs.

Gerrard needs to learn and learn bloody fast that was shocking game management tonight

Sick reading this drivel. Is he supposed to account for 3 out of his back 4 having an absolute shocker? Can he mitigate individual mistakes on the pitch? People witter on like we have a bench full of quality. If he doesn’t play Flanagan he plays Andy Halliday, are we now saying he’s a player? Total delusion every time you read a match thread. Things like this happen because our players are still not top quality. They have bad games, they make mistakes because in a European sense they are fairly average. Katic was the answer to everything over the last few weeks, comes in and is hopeless. In Europe we have over achieved massively. Yes we should have won tonight and have thrown it away but get a reality check.

Last edited:
Very disappointing and we need to grow from this.

However complete and absolutely ridiculous over reaction on here and its getting tiresome.

It really isnt the end of the world or utter shite or other hideous descriptions. Its disappointing. We are in contention on match day 5 and have lost ONE euro game 12 this season.

Mate if you dont think that was utter shite you have a lot to learn, That defending was shocking absolutely shocking

Thought it was strange that Katic was brought back for this game, also thought Halliday should have played. Overall, poor defencily but really poor in midfield- for me this is where we really need to strengthen

Also think we really need to make changes sooner, giving players 5/10 mins is not long enough

Gutted at that - we gave them so many invitations back into the game when we should have been looking to bury them.

You could argue that the offside goal just before half time was the big difference in the game but we were all at sea for most of that 2nd half and looked a bit sorry for ourselves as soon as they got back in it.

We move on but it does leave a lot of unanswered questions about this team now ... this is a game we should never have lost but we need to deal with it quickly.

Maybe in your eyes..ive never rated him and hes been nothing but a liability...Worrell all day for me..or big MacAuley..
Listen if you have watched Gooldson in the last 5 or 6 games closely he is the man to worry about and I know I am in the minority but the guy does not fill me with confidence very slow in his final pass nearly always getting caught.

We HAD to score the first goal of the second half, but instead lose two preventable goals that serve to expose our defensive weaknesses. We are SLOW to react all over the park, second balls missed constantly, decision making lacking. It will be hard to qualify now, but we're up against it and I believe on tonight's showing, we won't.

I thought in the game at Ibrox they were targetting Flanagan as a weak link and at times it worked,they will be more dangerous up front and have brought in Adriano who's a goal machine,the other guy starting who was a sub at Ibrox is Hanni, He made a big difference to Spartak when he came on in the second half and they were much more lively,Eremenko also starting tonight and another who is a very good player.

Reckon they will come out the traps as they need the points and not expecting to take anything from tonight,don't even think we will get a draw and first defeat in this tournament for me.

Adriano,Hanni and Eremenko are the danger men for me.
Quoting my own post here which i made before the game started just to point out my thoughts on Flanagan and many others on here see the same problem.,If we can see it why can't our manager see the same thing.

They targetted him again tonight and 3 goals were lost on his side,he shouldn't have played tonight.

Tavernier for me just dusnae do what a captain should as much hes meant to be the leader its as if he forgets hes captain at times

Thought it was strange that Katic was brought back for this game, also thought Halliday should have played. Overall, poor defencily but really poor in midfield- for me this is where we really need to strengthen

Also think we really need to make changes sooner, giving players 5/10 mins is not long enough
Katic looked void of any confidence.

scunnered at that we always seem to blow these big chances in Europe, we could have been in a great qualification position tonight.

Hopefully we can take something in Vienna.

Why do people keep referring to this mob as decent? They are total shite, the 3 other sides in this group have taken 3 off them, they are woeful
3 other sides in a 4 team group????

Rapid took 2 off them
Get your facts correct before spouting shite.

Think we just saw why Worral has been starting ahead of Katic recently. Really disappointing result. A win there might have seen the squad regain some confidence but the manner of the loss is worrying.

unprofessional at times tonight from players we would expect to be better, ,really should not be losing after getting in front 3 times, I would hope the manager has seen tonight we still have a long way to travel before we can class ourselves as a half decent outfit,,disappointing certainly, but this season to me is about building a foundation for our team going forward and a system that we have the players to operate and be comfortable playing,, all and all a bit of a sore one to take tonight but not totally unexpected

Tavernier for me just dusnae do what a captain should as much hes meant to be the leader its as if he forgets hes captain at times

Not sure what your point is about Tav in the context of the result. Whether or not he should be captain is a fair argument but even if Shagger had the armband on tonight, it wouldn't have made any difference to the result.

Wallace is twice the player of Flanagan and can't get a game. Yes I know he wasn't in the squad.

Flanagan is backup for the SPL only. If Barisic was fit we'd have probably won.

You just knew that goal was going to be a huge boost for them. Going on at HT one behind is so different to two. An already demoralised team might have struggled.

Decision to play Flanagan ahead of Halliday may well have cost us the win. Having said that the offside goal we didn't get would likely have been a different second half and outcome. Some shocking defending.
Decision to play Flannigan ahead of Halliday and LEE WALLACE.

Sick reading this drivel. Is he supposed to account for 3 out of his back 4 having an absolute shocker? Can he mitigate individual mistakes on the pitch? People witter on like we have a bench full of quality. If he doesn’t play Flanagan he plays Andy Halliday, are we now saying he’s a player? Total delusion every time you read a match thread. Things like this happen because our players are still not top quality. They have bad games, they make mistakes because in a European sense they are fairly average. Katic was the answer to everything over the last few weeks, comes in and is hopeless. I’m Europe we have over achieved massively. Yes we should have won tonight and have thrown it away but get a reality check.

Re Flanagan, he was getting feckin ripped all night was our manager hoping he was suddenly going to find a game, he should have been pulled off in the 1st half he was that bad he just cannot defend

Ach, that was a real disappointment, but what a game to watch, especially the first half.
Spartak deserved that victory, you could tell they were desperate for it and worked hard to get it. Although I would argue they should have had a couple of players sent off, but then lesser refs would have given them at least one penalty.
Didn't catch the morelos offside goal, so can't comment on that.
Gutted for Gerrard and the players, I thought they played really well.
Only player I felt had an off game was Ejaria, taking too long, misplacing passes etc, but I can forgive him, he's a good player for us. Goldson maybe as well, but he was simply trying to defend, happens all the time.
It's only really gutting because we have seen what our boys can do, but back to the start of the group, we thought we had little to no chance of qualifying.
So scoring three past spartak and making it a hard for them at home is not the worst that could have happened.
We clearly still have a chance.
Hopefully Villarreal will beat spartak and get no more than a draw from us.
And I believe we can beat rapid again, meaning we hope rapid beat or draw with spartak.
It's ashame though, was feeling great about our European results, this took the shine off it big time.

If your going away to a side in crisis and lead the game 3 times, lead at half time, then somehow contrive to lose when they are clearly all over the shop there for the taking of course your due stick

You're failing to take into account anything about our circumstances and our squad.

We simply can't control a game
It's that simple
Everything positive we do is in small bursts
Whilst anything that could have went wrong did go wrong (valid goal chopped off, ridiculous own goal etc) but if we had controlled that game for any length of time that game would have been won which is exactly what we needed to do in that 2nd half & failed AGAIN

Think we just saw why Worral has been starting ahead of Katic recently. Really disappointing result. A win there might have seen the squad regain some confidence but the manner of the loss is worrying.

Didn't think Katic could have a poorer showing than against Hamilton but actually thought he was worse tonight. Looked scared in possession and the number of silly fouls he gave away was a shambles. Goldson definitely didn't cover himself in glory but SG needs to pick his CB pairing and stick with it.

Frustrating as fck for a lot of reasons, the main one is that the defence out there was the reason we got to the group stages.

They were honking tonight at the back.

If the bad offside decision doesn't happen we're winning that tonight.

Sadly I and just about everyone else could see Flan needed to come off. Gerrards subs are shocking and always far too late.

Why is that - because folk are unhappy we threw a game away?

Every Rangers fan is going to feel gutted after that result, at half time we were holding our own and looking good.

Full Time and our manager and players are getting it left, right and center.

This team made the group stages of the CL last season, they are not a shit team, but they've gone through a bad patch and confidence is low, they were dangerous all night, had it not been for AM we would have been thumped.

It's a sore one, but we're still in with a shout.

I'm annoyed after that because from a commanding position (and yet happy with a draw from the start apparently, according to the manager), we lost. Am not that angry, given we had a good goal chopped off, but after a really good first half we had no positive changes. Second half was really, really poor tactically and I struggle to understand why.

Back