SPFL Clubs Approve The Use Of Concussion Subs.

Not understanding why the opposition should get an extra sub because someone's had to be subbed off with a head injury.

So both teams get the same amount of subs. You would get mysterious head injuries every week to get an extra sub on if you didnt do this.
Just thinking though, say we've not used our 3 subs, but our opponents have. We need to use another sub for the concussion, then they get 4 subs rather than the 3 we have. Or have I picked it up wrong?

Just thinking though, say we've not used our 3 subs, but our opponents have. We need to use another sub for the concussion, then they get 4 subs rather than the 3 we have. Or have I picked it up wrong?
We would have 4 as well as we would still 1 of our normal subs left.

If you have used all five substitutes then you can still replace the player who has suspected concussion.

Not sure I agree with the other team getting an extra sub as a result but it's a step in the right direction at leasr.

If you have used all five substitutes then you can still replace the player who has suspected concussion.

Not sure I agree with the other team getting an extra sub as a result but it's a step in the right direction at leasr.
I think giving the other team an extra sub makes sense since it gives teams less incentive to abuse the system

We would have 4 as well as we would still 1 of our normal subs left.
I am more meaning in a regular sense of 3 subs per team. So for instance say we are allowed 5 subs in a match. Our opponents have used 5, we've used 3. We then have a player go down with a head knock and have to sub him off, they then get an extra sub (6) while we still only have an allowance for 5 subs total. Potentially giving your opponent an advantage because you've had the misfortune of having a player go down while not having used all your subs

I am more meaning in a regular sense of 3 subs per team. So for instance say we are allowed 5 subs in a match. Our opponents have used 5, we've used 3. We then have a player go down with a head knock and have to sub him off, they then get an extra sub (6) while we still only have an allowance for 5 subs total. Potentially giving your opponent an advantage because you've had the misfortune of having a player go down while not having used all your subs
We would just use out 4th sub to take them off. Burnley done that the other week with Mee.

A player forced off with head injury will not come out of your normal allocation of subs therefore giving you another sub the same as the opposition.

I think haha

what about the yahoos?
do they get a concussion manager cos Kennedy looks like hes permanently concussed

A player forced off with head injury will not come out of your normal allocation of subs therefore giving you another sub the same as the opposition.

I think haha
@Gardenhall Bear

Each team would be permitted a maximum of two concussion substitutions in a match. A concussion substitution may be made regardless of the number of substitutions already used. When a head injury is sustained or suspected the team may either use one of their existing substitutions, if the maximum number have not been used, or make an additional concussion substitute. When a concussion substitute is used the opposing team has the option to use an additional substitute for any reason.

So my reading of that is, (using the old 3 sub rule for simplicity) We have used 1 of our 3 subs. Celtic have used 3. Our player has to come off with a head knock. We can do this using sub 2 of our allowed 3, BUT, Celtic then get the option of bringing in a 4th sub. Leaving us with only 1 more sub available and they've then had 4 subs to our 3 through no fault of our own.

@Gardenhall Bear

Each team would be permitted a maximum of two concussion substitutions in a match. A concussion substitution may be made regardless of the number of substitutions already used. When a head injury is sustained or suspected the team may either use one of their existing substitutions, if the maximum number have not been used, or make an additional concussion substitute. When a concussion substitute is used the opposing team has the option to use an additional substitute for any reason.

So my reading of that is, (using the old 3 sub rule for simplicity) We have used 1 of our 3 subs. Celtic have used 3. Our player has to come off with a head knock. We can do this using sub 2 of our allowed 3, BUT, Celtic then get the option of bringing in a 4th sub. Leaving us with only 1 more sub available and they've then had 4 subs to our 3 through no fault of our own.
In that case we wouldn't have used a concussion sub. We would have used one of our existing subs instead.

Ben Mee got a bad head knock with Burnley the other week and they just used one of their normal subs.

In that case we wouldn't have used a concussion sub. We would have used one of our existing subs instead.

Ben Mee got a bad head knock with Burnley the other week and they just used one of their normal subs.
Yeah, I get that now lol . So in that case then the opposition wouldn't get an additional sub? its only if its over and above our allocated subs that they get 1 more?

Football is so far behind most sports in player protection. They need to penalise cun ts like Harry Kane who take defenders out in the air as well. It's a straight red in rugby but ignored in football. Or a freekick to Kane.

Yeah, I get that now lol . So in that case then the opposition wouldn't get an additional sub? its only if its over and above our allocated subs that they get 1 more?
From your example in post #20, I think it's our choice - we can use a normal sub in which case both teams have a total of 3 subs available. Or we can use a concussion sub and both teams have 4 subs available (they get an extra normal sub, we get the 3 normal subs plus one concussion sub).

A “concussion substitute” (ie an additional substitute) should only come into play if you’ve already used all your allocated substitutions imo.

For instance, say we’re back to 3 subs instead of the current 5.

If a player gets a concussion injury in the first 10mins, the team should use one of their three normal substitutions (and can only use a maximum of three subs in that particular game).

However, if a player gets a concussion injury after the three subs have been used (or even a second concussion injury into the scenario I’ve just mentioned after all subs have been used) - only then the additional “concussion substitution” should be made available imo.

I can see the scum abusing this like they do everything. See Tierney for Arsenal going down holding his head for a touch on the ribs as an example.

So both teams get the same amount of subs. You would get mysterious head injuries every week to get an extra sub on if you didnt do this.
Not sure it has to be this way.
Any concussion sub should have at least a week lat off to recover if they were serious about reducing long term injury.

Back