SPFL: Clubs still waiting for seven-figure sum of TV money from last season

Why do they need to have the accounts signed off before they can make the payments?

At the time of the vote shamble (copyrite Celtc FC) the SPFL were very vocal in telling everyone how much the final payment of tv money was, how desperate clubs were to receive their share and how they would only get it if they voted to agree that Shame FC were awarded the SPFL title.

If the amount of money to be distributed to clubs was known back in April, why do they need to wait for the accounts to be signed off?

The payments are based on tv income which was known and just like all other payments/bonuses, figures are agreed in advance. If payments were made back to Sky/BT, then adjustments can be made.

The tv figures are not based upon profits made, so there is absolutely no need to wait until the accounts are signed off to make payment. They should just be treated like any other expense.

Something stinks. Probably the fact that after paying back BT, they don't have any money left to make the payments that they promised and they are simply stalling for time, waiting for the next tranche of money to come in from from Sky or the Government.
Good points there DD.

the other Q i can see is has this same requirement been the fee for final payments in the other seasons ? Or solely 2019/20 ? If only this years then are we to assume there is a significant risk in the audit that justifies this retention ?

This cuunt Doncaster should be hunted

A complete mentally challenged puppet who is there to do what Lieswell tells him to do

How many lies has the bastard got away with ?

Canny payout until the league is called

That was 6 months ago and all the TV money hasn’t been distributed

Why the majority of clubs don’t see Doncaster is only there for one team is beyond me

I hate the specky cuunt

Would these accounts have been completed and seen by the previous board members or the new ones who arrived in July 2020 I wonder ?

Why do they need to have the accounts signed off before they can make the payments?

At the time of the vote shamble (copyrite Celtc FC) the SPFL were very vocal in telling everyone how much the final payment of tv money was, how desperate clubs were to receive their share and how they would only get it if they voted to agree that Shame FC were awarded the SPFL title.

If the amount of money to be distributed to clubs was known back in April, why do they need to wait for the accounts to be signed off?

The payments are based on tv income which was known and just like all other payments/bonuses, figures are agreed in advance. If payments were made back to Sky/BT, then adjustments can be made.

The tv figures are not based upon profits made, so there is absolutely no need to wait until the accounts are signed off to make payment. They should just be treated like any other expense.

Something stinks. Probably the fact that after paying back BT, they don't have any money left to make the payments that they promised and they are simply stalling for time, waiting for the next tranche of money to come in from from Sky or the Government.

Hence the current desperation of Peter's Poodle in demanding money from Holyrood.

To clarify some queries above the Sky compensation was agreed at a total of £1.5 million.

However, the new deal was set up so that Sky get a further £7 million benefit.

Express Sport understands the agreement with the SPFL will actually enable Sky Sports to show 61 games for the first year of the contract.

That works out at one extra match for each club, plus another extra one for Celtic for the unfurling of the flag game on their first home match of the season.

On the financial terms of the deal that would see each game’s value drop from £520,833 to £404,918, which will see Scottish clubs missing out on just over £7m.

And despite the SPFL insisting the deal is as publicly advertised, Express Sport has seen proof that the recommendation to clubs sent on May 29 included new proposals allowing Sky to broadcast five live matches from their home stadium, and six in the case of Celtic, an addition from the previously agreed four matches for each club.

This comes despite chief executive Neil Doncaster insisting the deal was an ‘excellent outcome’ and that it was ‘vital’ the 12 SPFL clubs approved the deal.

The need to renegotiate with Sky was due to the curtailment of the 2019/20 season, and the broadcaster being due around £5m in compensation for the games they didn’t show.

That debt was renegotiated to £1.5m and will be spread over the five years of the deal at £300,000 a year, meaning Sky will now pay the SPFL clubs £24.7m each season.

But despite Sky offering to cut the debt by 70% on last season they have in fact got a far better deal for the next five years.
BT Sport not due money back also ?

The prize money is effectively the amount left in the kitty after deduction of all costs for the season. As such it would be fairly standard for the final payment to come after the accounts are approved.

The questions that should, however, be being asked are how much is normally held (looks like 5% this year), why have the accounts been delayed and why are the clubs, some of whom are struggling financially, the ones to suffer.

If the amount withheld is greater than usual without good reason or if the delay is not attributable in any way to the clubs themselves then they should consider whether or not some form of compensation is due.

The clubs are the SPFL. Surely they should be having a vote of no confidence in the board?

I thought the clubs got the final payment? Is this not the case? Regardless it is a shambles. Every time I see Doncasters smug face it puts me in a bad mood.

I’m not an accountant and fail to understand what role external auditors would have to play in the distribution of funds to members. The role of the auditor is to provide assurance to key stakeholders that proper records are maintained, risks identified and managed. I don’t see what role they would have to play in the running of the business.

From Ewan Murray's article in the Guardian

"The SPFL agreed with Sky to return about £1.5m for fixtures that could not be broadcast after the 2019-20 season was halted in March. A new, enhanced deal with the broadcaster began on 1 August when the 2020-21 campaign started. The SPFL has previously told members that the £1.5m clawback would be deducted pro rata from the new, five-year Sky contract. If the auditors are unhappy with that arrangement the SPFL may have to pay £1.5m to Sky more immediately and that could affect the plans to distribute money to clubs."

Could it be due to the articles of association of the SPFL where all funds minus expenses are to be distributed to the clubs on a % model based on performance be the reason the auditors are unhappy about the debt being carried over 5 season.

Carry the debt over and in effect a team who performers better in the next few years than they did last season will be disadvantaged in future prize money due to an expense incurred in an earlier season.

Rangers / hopefully Douglas Park in particular, should be looking to see if there is any scope to get Doncaster / the shifty one re directorial breaches of The Companies Act.

I know that Doncaster is a solicitor and probably knows how far he can push things, but light needs shone on these fućkpigs and nobody else appears interested in publicly going after these.

Rangers / hopefully Douglas Park in particular, should be looking to see if there is any scope to get Doncaster / the shifty one re directorial breaches of The Companies Act.

I know that Doncaster is a solicitor and probably knows how far he can push things, but light needs shone on these fućkpigs and nobody else appears interested in publicly going after these.

Doncasters a solicitor,I'll bet many a Judge has a rare old laugh at that chunt sashaying about a courtroom.

TI1nTuT.gif

Back