SPFL consults clubs on concussion substitutes

Coatbridge Chancellor

SPFL CONSULTS CLUBS ON CONCUSSION SUBSTITUTES

The SPFL has begun a consultation with all 42 clubs on the introduction of concussion substitutes for the remainder of the current season.

All clubs have been asked to provide their views as to whether they would support concussion substitutes being trialled in SPFL League and Play-Off matches.

The move comes following an announcement by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), stating competition organisers could begin trials of the use of concussion substitutes this season.

An SPFL rule change allowing concussion substitutes would require 75% in favour in each of the three voting categories (Premiership, Championship, and League 1 / League 2). Clubs have been asked to respond with their views by February 1st.

SPFL chief executive, Neil Doncaster said: “Clearly this is a very important issue and one that Scottish football has led on. We are keen to get input on it from our member clubs as soon as possible.

“The Scottish FA has already indicated its intention to introduce the concussion substitute trial in the Scottish Cup at the earliest possible opportunity and we will be liaising closely with them, and with Dr John MacLean, once our clubs have responded with their views.”

This really should get the requisite votes but this is Scottish football so who knows. Duty of care to players is becoming a real issue in many contact sports around the world and there are a growing number of legal actions for head injuries particularly in American Football and, more recently, Rugby Union. If they don't make the right decisions, it could prove costly. There could be a new SFA/SPFL job coming out of this - Head Compliance Officer! :)

I can just imagine Lennon taking Duffy off as he must have concussion to play like that.

It's fucking madness they are even consulting them.

Surely for.helagh matters it should just be a rulr.xhange and benefits promoted.
Stanley-Unwin.jpg

I can just imagine Lennon taking Duffy off as he must have concussion to play like that.
He genuinely is a good example. McCrorie absolutely wiped him out and he played on. There should be a rule to enforce concussion protocols to be followed in that example.

Obviously in this example it would be difficult to assess because he's already got limited coordination and cognitive ability.

SPFL CONSULTS CLUBS ON CONCUSSION SUBSTITUTES

The SPFL has begun a consultation with all 42 clubs on the introduction of concussion substitutes for the remainder of the current season.

All clubs have been asked to provide their views as to whether they would support concussion substitutes being trialled in SPFL League and Play-Off matches.

The move comes following an announcement by the International Football Association Board (IFAB), stating competition organisers could begin trials of the use of concussion substitutes this season.

An SPFL rule change allowing concussion substitutes would require 75% in favour in each of the three voting categories (Premiership, Championship, and League 1 / League 2). Clubs have been asked to respond with their views by February 1st.

SPFL chief executive, Neil Doncaster said: “Clearly this is a very important issue and one that Scottish football has led on. We are keen to get input on it from our member clubs as soon as possible.

“The Scottish FA has already indicated its intention to introduce the concussion substitute trial in the Scottish Cup at the earliest possible opportunity and we will be liaising closely with them, and with Dr John MacLean, once our clubs have responded with their views.”

How's Dundee voting?

I think it's going to be inevitable, however I would have a couple of rules around it:

Concussion must be determined by impartial doctor
Player removed from the match must miss the next game due to the concussion

If there are no guidelines then it will be used by clubs to their own advantage.

I think it would go through as who would want to be the clubs who said no and something nasty happens.

If SPFL done it without consulting there'd be drama

It's good that they consulted clubs and in theory noone wants to be that club that stopped it

It's win/win and good PR

Who has dreamed this up for them?

I refuse to believe that lot came up with a good idea on their own.

Back