SPFL 'Positive' Talks with Anderson

If there are no strings then it's not a bribe. People are flinging around 'tied to reconstruction' when Budge claims it specifically isn't tied to anything. The reason will be to keep the league playing which Hearts will be in. Reconstruction won't happen
In that case, the solution would be to sponsor the Championship.

If the intent of this money is to protect lower league clubs and keep them solvent, shouldn’t the ”benefactor” insist on it being the other way round ie. biggest percentage for club 42 and working back up the leagues?

If the SPFL divided it up as suggested, with the tainted title grabbers getting the biggest %, that would be disgraceful. But nothing would surprise me these days.
I just had a we look on kickback that's was discussed there.
In reality no one knows how much and what it will be spent on or % of share.
Another theory is its 2.5 million for a seasons worth of testing kits for all 42 clubs

Its his money if he wants to give it away for the betterment of everyone in Scottish football so be it. He hasn't sponsored Hearts who Budge said have received £9m in donations. He's just given money away. Maybe he's so rich he likes gifting his money to things he enjoys without the need for his name to be the sponsor

Hearts can't be allowed to stay up due to Budge's pals offering a bribe of millions. Its as simple as that.

Ahem ... this is Scotland 2020. They had a vote that was legally wrong on various levels, went hand in hand with blackmail and coercion (and everyone knew it). Ending a season that needen't ending - was the money-lender on holiday back then?

Do you think when Scottish clubs smell more money to keep them going while Doncaster and Co. keep their jobs and even come out as saviours of the game, anyone would be stopped by "hidden bribery"?

Methinks Kelty Hearts wanted to go all the way legally ... and now just wait for reconstruction failing or not (which seemingly drags on and on ... )?

Somehow I get the feeling that this sad episode is one more being swept under the carpet of time ...

If there are no strings then it's not a bribe. People are flinging around 'tied to reconstruction' when Budge claims it specifically isn't tied to anything. The reason will be to keep the league playing which Hearts will be in. Reconstruction won't happen

Well, it hardly requires a huge intellectual leap to suspect the timing of this revelation might not be entirely unrelated to reconstruction. After all, this is Ann Budge's primary objective at the moment and she faces an imminent deadline.

If Hearts have accepted relegation on the back of an extremely dodgy vote then it's news to me.

So an investor who is willing to plough millions into scottish football with no agenda just for the love of the game?Sorry don’t believe it for a second.

If this "Gift" is accepted and Hearts are not relegated it is the final nail in the coffin of Professional football in this country. A complete sham and an insult to sport.

There is going to be strings attached to this no matter how the spfl and the media try and spin it.

For one, why would this guy not just put all that money into Hearts? It would transform them. There is far more to this than changing the league to keep Hearts up.
Because there's little point in hearts having shit loads of money with nobody to play against. If they have nobody to play against then they can't gain promotion next year.

I totally get that, hence why due diligence needs to be done, but this is significantly different to King, Park or Desmond offering the cash as this guy is not owner, chairman or main shareholder of Hearts.

The guy seemingly has a history of charitable donations, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility he just wants to make sure Scottish football continues.

It also goes without saying if his offer is tied to conditions such as reconstruction or terms favourable to Hearts in particular then the deal should be off the table.
Is he on the board of directors at hearts though? I read somewhere yesterday that the onlt request he's made in return for his investment in hearts is a relaxation of boardroom dresscode as he doesn't like wearing a tie to football. Suggests he is on the board in some capacity?

Imagine the outrage If Dave King offered to invest in Scottish football in 2012 and we never got kicked down the leagues.... Corruption, bribery etc would be shouted from every single media outlet!

It's a bribe, pure and simple and it really needs to be called out for what it is!

The Jambos latest theory seems to be 14-10-10-10. With Hearts and ICT in the top flight, Thistle and Falkirk in the Champ, Stranraer and Edinburgh City in League 1 and Brora and Kelty in League 2. You then mothball leagues 1/2 for the season with the help of a wee bung from Mr Anderson.

I'm not really sue how that helps the Championship play out the season as you are simply replacing Hearts and ICT with Thistle and Falkirk. Still plenty in there that don't want to play BCD.

Why would Stranraer and Edinburgh City be placed in League 1, why them specifically?

Why would Stranraer and Edinburgh City be placed in League 1, why them specifically?

Edinburgh City were second in League 2 and Stranraer were relegated from League 1. Its just the same process in every division - the relegated team stays up and two teams come up from the league below (1st and 2nd).

Because there's little point in hearts having shit loads of money with nobody to play against. If they have nobody to play against then they can't gain promotion next year.
Logic would say that you’re correct however this is Scottish football, the most corrupt League in the world, where we decide Leagues on a vote and don’t promote teams because of the capacity of their stadium. Given time I’m sure that the powers that be could come up with a scheme whereby Hearts don’t play a game in the Championship and still get promoted.

If this "Gift" is accepted and Hearts are not relegated it is the final nail in the coffin of Professional football in this country. A complete sham and an insult to sport.
It seems to have dawned on hearts that the championship may not play next season. They've more to worry about now than just relegation .

On 1 hand you have clubs saying the spfl board not fit for purpose then asking them too distribute free money to clubs......I wouldn't let bungcaster get his grubby hands anywhere near that sort of money without stipulations

The Jambos latest theory seems to be 14-10-10-10. With Hearts and ICT in the top flight, Thistle and Falkirk in the Champ, Stranraer and Edinburgh City in League 1 and Brora and Kelty in League 2. You then mothball leagues 1/2 for the season with the help of a wee bung from Mr Anderson.

I'm not really sue how that helps the Championship play out the season as you are simply replacing Hearts and ICT with Thistle and Falkirk. Still plenty in there that don't want to play BCD.

That requires 11-1 to pass so cant see it happening.

None of the usual loud mouthed suspects in the media calling this for what it clearly is, bribery. ?
Seen Jackson saying if this money is given then Hearts must get relegated to ensure no impropriety is taken by it (yes the irony on that comment by him of all people) but I’m sure he’ll do his usual 360 once he’s been told what to write.

Can you imagine the headlines if in 2012 a mystery millionaire friend of Charles Green had offered the clubs millions and simply asked that the decision to kick Rangers out the top league was reconsidered?
Green would have pocketed that as well.

If, and I stress if, this offer is NOT tied to any reconstruction as is claimed, and is to be distributed evenly to all 42 clubs, then why on earth would anyone have a problem with it?

I’m not saying don’t be suspicious, but if due diligence is done and it is simply an offer from a loaded Scotsman to make sure Scottish football doesn’t go down the grubber then surely it’s a good thing all round?
No problem with that, but if Doncaster et al get their paws on it, can you imagine the likes of Gretna getting the same as the filth!

The Championship is a division and is part of the SPFL.

He could in theory say to the SPFL he would give them money, so long as it was all spent in the Championship.

However that would hardly be "no strings attached".

I would think that for any of us who had that sort of money it would be invested in Rangers and no one else.Call me a cynic but there must be something we're not being told.

Any supporter of a club, who had that sort of “spare cash”, would want to ensure his club benefited from this. As a Hearts supporter and serial investor, he should be wanting to understand the Dundee vote change, which has put Hearts in relegation to Championship, and caused all these emerging issues. If I was “donating” money to the SPFL, I would demand the leagues were all called null & void. This enters the realms of bribery if Hearts are not relegated, and will leave Doncaster open to investigation. Has Budge dangled the carrot to nail him?

I would think that for any of us who had that sort of money it would be invested in Rangers and no one else.Call me a cynic but there must be something we're not being told.
I’m astonished that such a wealthy and intelligent man would do business with the morons and bigots who are running the SPFL. It’s effectively a vote of confidence in them and Budge should hang het head in shame if she proposed this.

Listening to the Sportsound podcast a couple of points occur.

Seemingly the cash on offer is £1m-£2m (presumably for this coming season).

Whilst Budge said it was for lower leagues, it now seems its for all 42 clubs.

Some basic arithmetic - if it costs each club £4k per week for testing (£168k per week combined for all 42 clubs) and the 'donation' is split evenly amongst the 42 clubs then its only going to pay for testing for circa 12 weeks!

Finally, if this is deemed a 'commercial' transaction then, according to the clusterf*ck that is the SPFL Articles of Association then 84% of the 'donation' should go to top flight clubs.

Whilst an injection of £2m is to be welcomed its not quite the game-changer its been portrayed as in certain quarters.

Last edited:
There is going to be strings attached to this no matter how the spfl and the media try and spin it.

For one, why would this guy not just put all that money into Hearts? It would transform them. There is far more to this than changing the league to keep Hearts up.

Why do it now ? in the interests of transparency surely he should have waited till after the vote was done. If he wants to put money into Scottish football why not come forward as a sponsor for the national game

I am sorry but the game is a bogey up here. Any other league in any other country and the papers would be shouting corruption.

Insiders say his integrity is beyond reproach and he is far too credible to lay any conditions on his gift to clubs, which will be discussed by SPFL members in a series of meetings over the next 48 hours.

When you read that you just automatically say Aye right ye are!
I totally get that, hence why due diligence needs to be done, but this is significantly different to King, Park or Desmond offering the cash as this guy is not owner, chairman or main shareholder of Hearts.

The guy seemingly has a history of charitable donations, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility he just wants to make sure Scottish football continues.

It also goes without saying if his offer is tied to conditions such as reconstruction or terms favourable to Hearts in particular then the deal should be off the table.
Nailed it!

Listening to the Sportsound podcast a couple of points occur.

Seemingly the cash on offer is £1m-£2m (presumably for this coming season).

Whilst Budge said it was for lower leagues, it now seems its for all 42 clubs.

Some basic arithmetic - if it costs each club £4k per week for testing (£168k per week combined for all 42 clubs) and the 'donation' is split evenly amongst the 42 clubs then its only going to pay for testing for circa 12 weeks!

Finally, if this is deemed a 'commercial' transaction then, according to the clusterf*ck that is the SPFL Articles of Association then 84% of the 'donation' should go to top flight clubs.

Whilst an injection of £2m is to be welcomed its not quite the game-changer its been portrayed as in certain quarters.

Is the money not also supposed to be allocated based on league positions used to determine prize money? My guess is the SPFL‘s own rules will mean the donation does not go through even if it is just a genuine gesture of good intent.

Seen Jackson saying if this money is given then Hearts must get relegated to ensure no impropriety is taken by it (yes the irony on that comment by him of all people) but I’m sure he’ll do his usual 360 once he’s been told what to write.
About the only comment from Jackson that I can agree with!

Is the money not also supposed to be allocated based on league positions used to determine prize money? My guess is the SPFL‘s own rules will mean the donation does not go through even if it is just a genuine gesture of good intent.

If this is a serious offer and it is intended to pay for testing then I guess one of the ways around it would be for clubs to simply send the invoices for testing to whatever umbrella company he would be using to gift this money. That would also have the added bonus of the money not being held by the SPFL and liable to 'seizure' by the broadcasters looking for their £10m rebate.

However, as I said earlier, at £4k per week, per club - this £1m-£2m isn't going far.

Some more arithmetic.

Anderson and his 3 buddies (no names yet) reportedly want to put £1m-£2m in to pay - or maybe its to help pay - for testing.

To put that in context. I make it around 30 weeks from the week before they start training in June to get to the Winter break at the end of December. If we only have the top two divisions operating (and mothball leagues 1/2 even though this was supposedly targeted at the lower leagues initially) that means 22 clubs at £4k per club, per week, for 30 weeks. Circa £2.64m if I've got it right.

His money - though very generous and most welcome in Scottish football - isn't going to go very far.

They'd have to change the plan so they were only subsidising testing rather than paying for it all. And it would have to be on a sliding scale from the top flight down. And it couldn't go beyond the Championship. And the clubs would then still have to find the balance - and pay all their running costs and salaries with no money through the gates.

The question that is more important than reconstruction, and the one that Doncaster should be asking, is who actually wants and can afford to play next season - even with the donation from Anderson (which will barely touch the sides).

I’m astonished that such a wealthy and intelligent man would do business with the morons and bigots who are running the SPFL. It’s effectively a vote of confidence in them and Budge should hang het head in shame if she proposed this.

There have been times during this fiasco where I’ve asked myself , is it just us. The farce doesn’t seem to bother anyone else. This is another of those times.

Some more arithmetic.

Anderson and his 3 buddies (no names yet) reportedly want to put £1m-£2m in to pay - or maybe its to help pay - for testing.

To put that in context. I make it around 30 weeks from the week before they start training in June to get to the Winter break at the end of December. If we only have the top two divisions operating (and mothball leagues 1/2 even though this was supposedly targeted at the lower leagues initially) that means 22 clubs at £4k per club, per week, for 30 weeks. Circa £2.64m if I've got it right.

His money - though very generous and most welcome in Scottish football - isn't going to go very far.

They'd have to change the plan so they were only subsidising testing rather than paying for it all. And it would have to be on a sliding scale from the top flight down. And it couldn't go beyond the Championship. And the clubs would then still have to find the balance - and pay all their running costs and salaries with no money through the gates.

The question that is more important than reconstruction, and the one that Doncaster should be asking, is who actually wants and can afford to play next season - even with the donation from Anderson (which will barely touch the sides).

ITS aload of nonsense,

If he wanted to help league 1 and 2 and the championship he could have asked these clubs to send an invoice. There are strings attached. We just wont see them. Now he is having to dilute with the premier.

ITS aload of nonsense, all he had to do was tell clubs to send him the invoice for these tests. Instead it is to be shared with clubs like celtic and ourselves, why?

If he wanted to help league 1 and 2 and the championship he could have asked these clubs to send an invoice. There are strings attached. We just wont see them.

I mentioned invoicing direct to Anderson & Co in another post. However, the main thrust of the point I am trying to make is that £2m, though welcome, isn‘t even going to touch the sides here. Let’s say he only gave it for testing in Leagues 1/2 for example. 20 clubs at £4k per club, per week would last 25 weeks. Allowing for a 6 week training build-up that wouldn’t even get them to New Year.

I actually listened to the Budge interview on Saturday. I’m almost sure she said that these people wanted to plough money into the lower leagues to help save these teams. She didn’t mention it going to all of the Spfl
It was then mentioned after the interview with the pundits that it could save these teams as they might be able to operate with closed door games

They can't take money from a Hearts fan and then give preferential treatment to that club. They wouldn't have the brass neck.

Would they? Someone please tell me they wouldn't. But they could, couldn't they?

I think I'd rather stable my horse with the mafia.

If one of our investors was prepared to put money into clubs that had just shafted us, I would want my club to have nothing more to do with them.

They have literally been given the green light to be as corrupt as they like, so why would they stop with missing votes, bullying etc. No surprise they appear to be open to bribery.

Back