SPFL review delivers 'action plan' to increase income to £50m

The way it’s goin way firesticks n people streaming games sky be lucky if they kin fulfill there part of the deal in 2029 pmsl

I met a guy from Norwich at Spurs hospitality 10 years ago and he was scathing of the newly departed ex-Norwich chief exec, Doncaster.

How in the name of feck is he still in control of our entire league?
It’s down to one club…
A CEO in the UK is, on average, in position for 7 years. That period went up over COVID.

Neil Doncaster has been CEO of the SPL/SPFL for nearly twice as long and failing to deliver any kind of growth. In any other business he would have been fired a decade ago.

1.Combine the SFA and SPFL into one body and remove 50% of the positions for suits and legislators. Remove all those that were placed in influential roles between 2012 and 2020.

2. Reduce the number of games to allow the players a proper pre-season and stop penalising clubs that reach cup finals in May.

3. Remove playground pitches from the four main leagues.

4. Fill stadiums in blocks to ensure that every available ticket can be sold. Remove the ridiculous situation where one end of the ground has fans locked out while the other stands are 50% full.

5. Consolidate the TV deal into one provider and allow clubs to show games not covered by that provider on their own channel.
Couldn't agree more with your first point,far too many suits in charge that haven't coached or Managed at any level and they have never been brought to account for ruining the game here. One body is quite enough. I get embarrassed for Rangers,not so much Celtic as they already have their place men in there,that we have to operate with these idiots in charge,they seem to have the mentality of the Chewin' the fat bowling club committee. That's where change needs to start.

1.Combine the SFA and SPFL into one body and remove 50% of the positions for suits and legislators. Remove all those that were placed in influential roles between 2012 and 2020.

2. Reduce the number of games to allow the players a proper pre-season and stop penalising clubs that reach cup finals in May.

3. Remove playground pitches from the four main leagues.

4. Fill stadiums in blocks to ensure that every available ticket can be sold. Remove the ridiculous situation where one end of the ground has fans locked out while the other stands are 50% full.

5. Consolidate the TV deal into one provider and allow clubs to show games not covered by that provider on their own channel.

They’ll be too self serving to do point 1. Makes sense though.

Point 4 I thought about at weekend seeing st j have about ten people in that section, surely we could group them together and sell a few more on either the sj or broomloan?

Point 5 - I couldn’t agree more on it.

I agree with much of what you say but the last point is tricky. They have lunchtime, teatime and sometimes evening games on Saturdays (plus the 3 pm shutout) and often lunchtime, mid and late afternoon games Sunday.

There are often Championship games on a Friday and sometimes EPL games on a Friday and often on a Monday night.

Trying to find slots with no English games is nigh on impossible.
There are not many spaces for games I agree, but what about the occasional televised game on a Saturday or Sunday evening during the lighter months? I have no idea if folk would be into it, but they need to brainstorm every option, no matter how radical it may seem, and actually go out and ask the supporters what would make them tune in. Also look at what other leagues, and other sports, do also.

Saying that, I can’t think of anything that would make me watch Livi v Ross County, either in person or on free to air TV. Apart from topless female referees, obviously.

Couldn't agree more with your first point,far too many suits in charge that haven't coached or Managed at any level and they have never been brought to account for ruining the game here. One body is quite enough. I get embarrassed for Rangers,not so much Celtic as they already have their place men in there,that we have to operate with these idiots in charge,they seem to have the mentality of the Chewin' the fat bowling club committee. That's where change needs to start.
It is scandalous, they are all absolutely useless. We used to have old guys with the game at heart like Ernie Walker. Then we seen guys like Campbell Ogilvie come through. Where we got that Doncaster and that McLennan who looks about 80 from I have no idea.

50m per season again, really isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things. Especially if it is shared between 42 clubs.

Then you have to take inflation into the equation over 7 years, its really nothing.

Get rid of every single administration and administrator of the game and bring in someone with no baggage to sell and grow our game properly.

A Barry Hearn type though not necessarily him.
Looking forward to the nicknames given to every individual player plus their own walk on signature tune!

SPFL The kings of wishful thinking. Shower if useless corrupt fannies will be wringing their hands thinking about how much they can cream off any monies after paying off celtics hush money

If the words Deloitte and strategic action plan appear in the same sentence be assured it’s a load of shite.

Edit: a load of very expensive shite.

I'll take a wild stab in the dark and suggest no such doubling of revenue will happen, the sheep, HIVs and hertz will meekly accept it, and Doncaster and the other celtc-bitches on the spfl board will remain entrenched continuing to bleed the game dry through exorbitant wages and shite promotions and sponsorships.

It is scandalous, they are all absolutely useless. We used to have old guys with the game at heart like Ernie Walker. Then we seen guys like Campbell Ogilvie come through. Where we got that Doncaster and that McLennan who looks about 80 from I have no idea.

Rats like Doncaster and Regan were specifically recruited as supposed neutrals (ha fucking ha) to help with the drive to finish off Rangers as a force, and the likes of mclennan were 19th Century Terrorist bastards who had always been there, hated us and were there to feed Regan and Doncaster the agenda and ensure they stuck to it.
The TV deal that lawwell and Doncaster secured back in 2012 on behalf of the SPL was absolute shite but even then it was only offered to them on the condition that Rangers (in division 3) were included. So liewells cabal stitched up the sfl, incorporated them into the spl-dominated SPFL thereby securing Rangers tv-pulling power and effectively firing David Longmuir of the SFL, who was quite possibly the most competent of the football administrators in Scotland.
Dundee United, HIVs and Aberdeen all enthusiastically participated in the 'bash Rangers' agenda and the rest followed suit, naively lured by the promise of sell-out Saturdays in a much more competitive league. Basically they bought Lawwell's lies hook, line and sinker.
Even more recently the majority of clubs ignored Rangers efforts to organise, set up and fund a review of the Scottish game.
I find it hard (impossible) to trust the dirty fucking rats who "run" the other so-called top clubs in Scotland.

They make Jim Farry look good,lol

Not sure where accepting less money per match for the new TV deal fits in with the headline but it's the SPFL morons we're dealing with.

SPFL review delivers 'action plan' to increase income to £50m​

A strategic review was commissioned by Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian.

Premiership clubs who commissioned a review into the state of Scottish football have welcomed a plan that aims to almost double club income by 2029.

Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian used their own funds to employ Deloitte to conduct a “critical and transparent” review of the SPFL last year, with a view to increasing revenue and improving the league in the short and long term in every aspect of its business.

That review was delivered to league clubs and a new innovation and strategy group, comprising representatives from Celtic, Rangers, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen, studied the findings and put together a plan of action to implement recommendations.

The clubs who set the ball rolling on the review say it can deliver a “shared vision and set of goals to lift the Scottish game signals the beginning of a new era for Scottish football”.

The plan is designed to significantly increase the pot of income that is shared between clubs from £28.4m to £50m by 2029.

At the core of the recommendations are a plan to transform the SPFL itself from an organisation that is primarily concerned with the administrative side of organising competitions, to a body that has a “more robust and dynamic commercial structure.”

The league body has been accused in the past of failing to deliver satisfactory broadcast and sponsorship deals and the new proposals say that maximising television contracts and commercial partnerships will be a “strategic priority”.

Other aims are to improve the brand of Scottish football at home and overseas, develop the women’s game, and improve the quality of youth competitions to help young players to develop to elite level.

Hibs chairman Ron Gordon, representing the five clubs who commissioned the original review, said: “We’re very excited about this strategic action plan which sets a new tone and direction for the SPFL and the game in Scotland.

“The proposed strategic building blocks are designed to grow our clubs, the SPFL, and the men’s and women’s game at every level.

“A more substantial and comprehensive broadcast partnership, a focused and robust commercial structure and team, an investment and commitment to the growth of the women’s game, and the development of our young men’s players are all critical to reaching our aspirational goal of £50m in revenues.

“Football is Scotland’s passion – we have a dynamic and exciting league with historic clubs and passionate fans. The image and brand of the SPFL should reflect and celebrate the many positives that our clubs and league provide our communities across the country.

“I want to thank Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Heart and Hibs for their investment in the review, along with Celtic and Rangers for their participation and contributions in curating and refining the actionable recommendations of the study.

“Our thanks also go to the SPFL Board and Executive for their openness, receptivity and leadership in exploring and driving new ideas and opportunities to help advance, promote and grow our clubs, the league and our game.”

Neil Doncaster, chief executive of the SPFL, said: “On behalf of the SPFL, I would like to thank Aberdeen, Celtic, Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts, Hibernian and Rangers for their constructive approach and their investment of time, money and expertise into this project, which will underpin the League’s strategy over the coming years.

“Their valuable work will undoubtedly enable the league to bring in additional commercial revenues for the benefit of all 42 SPFL member clubs and for Scottish football as a whole. It is an exciting time for the game.”
I am sorry to rain on the parade but my skin crawls when I hear words like "robust" "dynamic" and "focussed" I've worked in the commercial world for 40 years and its just corporate bullshit.Clubs are only interested in what's in it for them.The only way to implement real change is to clear out the existing cabal and replace them with proven truelly independent commercially minded people Money would instantly be saved by clearing out the blazers in the SFA and SPFL and using some of that cash to get the right people in.

I am sorry to rain on the parade but my skin crawls when I hear words like "robust" "dynamic" and "focussed" I've worked in the commercial world for 40 years and its just corporate bullshit.Clubs are only interested in what's in it for them.The only way to implement real change is to clear out the existing cabal and replace them with proven truelly independent commercially minded people Money would instantly be saved by clearing out the blazers in the SFA and SPFL and using some of that cash to get the right people in.

I agree 100%.
Whenever I read about new "robust" measures I feel like vomiting as it reminds me of the utter bullshit that sturgeon comes out with every time she and her party have been caught out for something or other.
And, if the new measures are so fucking great them why hasn't the massively salaried Doncaster and his hired help thought of them before this? Or, is it a case of the plans have been thought of before but were considered not worthy of implementing?
Then there's the fact the aim is to have all this in place by 2029. That's 7 years away and it would be expected that due to inflation the money from TV and whatever else would have risen significantly in that time anyway.
I admit I'm a cynic when it comes to Scottish fitba (and anything that involves mhanks) but I think this whole malarkey sounds like just so much corporate promotional bullshit that somebody's fed them via a flip chart and glossy brochure.

So they got together and came up with a goal of raising income by 2029?

I surprised this great revelation didn’t take them longer.

here’s an idea where 3 of them (scumdee hiv, sheep & Edinburgh junkies) can improve theirs funding, sell more away tickets to rangers and scum fans as it’s embarrassing watching on tv their empty stands yet 1000s who would be willing to pay to go

True, but selling those extra tickets isnt going to make a huge difference. Certainly not enough to enable them to compete and that is what is required.

Back