SPFL schedule v EPL schedule 2020/21

Rt. Hon. Bearman

A question.

We are now 3 games in to a 38 game SPFL season, and we keep hearing about how the schedule is tight and that there is barely any room for postponed matches to be rescheduled.

However, the EPL also consists of 38 rounds of fixtures (but involving 20 clubs rather than 12, meaning more fixtures in a league season overall), yet they aren't kicking off until 12th September.

So how exactly are they going to manage to schedule all of their games between mid-Sepember and next spring, if it is apparently so difficult for us in Scotland to do it, when we've already begun our season?

Am I missing something here?

They finish the weekend after us (and have the midweek inbetween as a back up date). Apparently we had to finish early because of the Euros, so that's nonsense. There's two more match dates right there.

Let's not forget though, that they're not trying to play last seasons cup this season. Obviously it's incredibly important.

I think in terms of pressures in Scotland:

- the two dates for the unfinished Scottish Cup fames;
- next seasons Scottish Cup still has replays (FA Cup doesn’t);
- League Cup has group stage so needs at least 9 dates. English league cup only requires 7 dates and some EPL teams will only play one or two games if out early.

A question.

We are now 3 games in to a 38 game SPFL season, and we keep hearing about how the schedule is tight and that there is barely any room for postponed matches to be rescheduled.

However, the EPL also consists of 38 rounds of fixtures (but involving 20 clubs rather than 12, meaning more fixtures in a league season overall), yet they aren't kicking off until 12th September.

So how exactly are they going to manage to schedule all of their games between mid-Sepember and next spring, if it is apparently so difficult for us in Scotland to do it, when we've already begun our season?

Am I missing something here?
It’s a well run league with proper management and oversight. Given a lot of their clubs will have extended runs in Europe too, it’s quite something. Compare to the idiots running our league who can’t even get a sponsor! Embarrassing!

One thing that has bothered me for years is we live right next door to the best commercial league in the world and arguably most successful league you would think someone at some point would look at there model and try replicate it but yet over the years we have instead managed to find the worst ways possible to create a league structure which has no top middle and bottom , no competition through the league and are all bored playing 4 games a year minimum against the same teams

Last edited:
Pretty much every that happens in Scotland, either in sport/football or general society turns to shit.

I don't think there has been a quicker dumbing-down of society than there has been in Scotland.

Scotland is a laughing stock for a reason.

Tinpot in every sense.

Its funny, in London all the liberal / labour types seem to absolutely adore SNP and Nicola Sturgeon compared to Boris. But there is a lot of dishonest media about the place, as we know just from the football side of things.

Its funny, in London all the liberal / labour types seem to absolutely adore SNP and Nicola Sturgeon compared to Boris. But there is a lot of dishonest media about the place, as we know just from the football side of things.
Yes mate. I live outside of London but work in London - just arrived in the office now actually.

You certainly do come across the leftist /liberal types who sing the praises if the Nats etc. When I can be bothered to engage with any of them them I put them straight!

Scotland and London are generally political basket cases. Very much out of sync with the majority of the UK population.

I don't follow follow how the season is any different from usual. We kicked off on 1st of August, we have binned the mid season break. But for the carry over Scottish Cup semis, which affects only 3 premiership teams for 2 games max, what's the issue?

One thing that has bothered me for years is we live right next door to the best commercial league in the world and arguably most successful league you would think someone at some point would look at there model and try replicate it but yet over the years we have instead managed to find the worst ways possible to create a league structure which has top middle or bottom , no competition through the league and are all bored playing 4 games a year minimum against the same teams

we did, we changed the league names. cutting edge stuff :)

The EPL needs to find 4 dates for the 1st 4 rounds that were due to played in August - last weekend it was due to start fixture are out next Friday

Date for both the FA Cup and League Cup were released yesterday

FA Cup Dates

The schedule for the 2020-21 season is as follows:
  • Extra preliminary round: Tuesday 1 September 2020
  • Preliminary round: Saturday 12 September 2020
  • First round qualifying: Tuesday 22 September 2020
  • Second round qualifying: Saturday 3 October 2020
  • Third round qualifying: Tuesday 13 October 2020
  • Fourth round qualifying: Saturday 24 October 2020
  • First round proper: Saturday 7 November 2020
  • Second round proper: Saturday 28 November 2020
  • Third round proper: Saturday 9 January 2021
  • Fourth round proper: Saturday 23 January 2021
  • Fifth round proper: Wednesday 10 February 2021
  • Quarter-finals: Saturday 20 March 2021
  • Semi-finals: Saturday 17 April 2021
  • The Final: Saturday 15 May 2021
League Cup Dates

The 2020/21 competition has seen a number of significant scheduling changes with two legged semi-finals being replaced by a single tie and the first four rounds scheduled to take place on consecutive weeks, kicking off in early September.

Premier League sides will enter the competition in Round Two or Round Three if they are competing in European competition in season 2020/21.

Round One 5 September 2020 (alternative dates may apply)
Round Two 15/16 September 2020
Round Three 22/23 September 2020
Round Four 29/30 September 2020
Round Five 22/23 December 2020
Semi-Finals 5/6 January 2021 (tie to be played at the venue of Club drawn out first)
Final 28 February 2021

Back