SPFL Stats

AlbertaBlue

The thread on their yellow card count had me looking at other stats on the SPFL site.
Bit of an eye opener on how many favour us despite being 9 points behind.
The first 2 of these 3 in particular.
  • Shots on goal: Rangers 576 - Celtic 553
  • Shots on target: Rangers 212- Celtic 211
  • Goals: Rangers: 72 - Celtic 93
The above clearly shows how clinical they are in front of goal compared to us despite us having more shots.

Other surprising stats
  • Cleans sheets: Rangers 12 - Celtic 13
  • Goals conceded: Rangers 27 - Celtic 21
Take out the OF goals and we have conceded 2 more against the rest. I think this shows how critical OF wins are, probably more so than ever before. Had we reversed the 4-0 drubbing, for example, we would have topped the two stats above. We'd also be just 3 behind.

If your aunty had balls and all that ;)

Last edited:
Because the rest of the opposition is so poor the league is just a shoot out between us and them
True, and shots on target doesn't show the quality of them which is clearly making a difference.
Like I said above OF games are more critical than ever before

Because the rest of the opposition is so poor the league is just a shoot out between us and them
Also VAR is now rightfully getting us those wins that we would not have had in closer games against the rest due to a mixture of incompetence and cheating by certain referees in previous years too. I reckon if we keep on our trajectory along with VAR being used every year will be a tight shootout between us and the paedo harbourers. Just need Beale to unearth more players of the ilk of Cantwell and Raskin and we should be in a very good place.

Also VAR is now rightfully getting us those wins that we would not have had in closer games against the rest due to a mixture of incompetence and cheating by certain referees in previous years too. I reckon if we keep on our trajectory along with VAR being used every year will be a tight shootout between us and the paedo harbourers. Just need Beale to unearth more players of the ilk of Cantwell and Raskin and we should be in a very good place.
Wonder what stats are like for pre and post VAR mate I would think you make an excellent point

Remember Collum at Easter Road remember Clancy at Paisley

Shot per goal ratio needs a vast improvement.
Agreed, but so far today I’ve read our xG is now on par with Celtic, we’re not conceding a huge deal more than them, we’re equalling them in terms of shots - perhaps we just need 1 or 2 further additions, particularly in the attacking third, to match them.

The future of the league must be at risk if the quality of the other sides continues to get much worse. Of course there are leagues out there that are still one or two horse races but there's competitiveness within those leagues still, bottom sides can still pull of results against the top sides in those leagues. Can't be many other leagues out there that are bad as ours at the moment quality wise.

When we lost to St Johnstone at McDiarmid park we had 29 attempts on goal, scored 1.

They had 3 on target scored with 2 of them.

When celtic beat Dundee Utd 9-0 they had 30 attempts at goal.

When we went back and won 1-0 in the cup at St Johnstone we had 12 attempts on goal scored 1.
It's been happening for a wee while now our shooting is not good enough. How many goals has Kent and Sakala scored this season it's barely into double figures.

True, and shots on target doesn't show the quality of them which is clearly making a difference.
Like I said above OF games are more critical than ever before

In the league this season; tells a story

Goals Kyogo 20, Colak 13, Abada 10, Jota 9, Morelos 9, Tillman 8, Maeda 7, Sakala 7, Kent 3,

Scoring frequency Kyogo 89 min, Colak 107 min, Abada 126 min, Morelos 128 min, Sakala 174 min, Jota 189 min, Maeda 196 mins, Tillman 203 mins, Kent 750 mins

Big chances missed
Kyogo 12, Morelos 10, Sakala 9, Colak 9, Abada 8, Maeda 6, Kent 5, Tillman 4, Jota 3,

Goal conversion Kyogo 29%, Maeda 25%, Tillman 21%, Abada 20%, Colak 17%, Jota 14%, Morelos 13%, Sakala 10%, Kent 5%

Roofe this season 1 goal, frequency 42 mins conversion rate 25%

Roofe last season, 10 goals, frequency 101 mins, conversion rate 23%

Roofe season before last 14 goals, frequency 112 mins, conversion rate 29%

Shot per goal ratio needs a vast improvement.

when Motherwell went down to ten men and we were peppering their goal we should have scored 6 or 7 with the amount of gilt edged chanced we created.

and dont start me on our three on three (or three on two) counter attacking, i have zero confidence in our attackers when we break at speed, we always seem to either hold on to the ball too long or dont play the correct pass, its infuriating

Injuries this season cost us multiple points. Add that to the scandalous decision which cost us points as Easter Road. The gap between us is tiny, whatever some posters may say. Even the hysterics about the cup final, without turning up we dominated the second half and could easily have taken it to extra time.

We are on the right path to overtake them with our new gaffer

In the league this season; tells a story

Goals Kyogo 20, Colak 13, Abada 10, Jota 9, Morelos 9, Tillman 8, Maeda 7, Sakala 7, Kent 3,

Scoring frequency Kyogo 89 min, Colak 107 min, Abada 126 min, Morelos 128 min, Sakala 174 min, Jota 189 min, Maeda 196 mins, Tillman 203 mins, Kent 750 mins

Big chances missed
Kyogo 12, Morelos 10, Sakala 9, Colak 9, Abada 8, Maeda 6, Kent 5, Tillman 4, Jota 3,

Goal conversion Kyogo 29%, Maeda 25%, Tillman 21%, Abada 20%, Colak 17%, Jota 14%, Morelos 13%, Sakala 10%, Kent 5%

Roofe this season 1 goal, frequency 42 mins conversion rate 25%

Roofe last season, 10 goals, frequency 101 mins, conversion rate 23%

Roofe season before last 14 goals, frequency 112 mins, conversion rate 29%
And there in lies the reason why we should be thinking twice about offering Kent a new deal. Running with the ball he looks fantastic but we need more end product from him. If he can't provide that, then I would rather see a less fancy player who makes more of a difference to the scoresheet.

I know everyone loves a Caskie brothers stat, but thought it was interesting nonetheless. As well as being good, they've also been extraordinarily lucky this season with regards goalscoring:

"For those interested, within the entire WyScout database of GK with >1000 mins in the past 12 months (4332 GKs), there are only 24 GKs who have a worse prevented goals p90 than the average GK Celtic have faced in 22/23."

Bearing in mind were facing the same keepers, I think there's a fair bit of luck there as well as the cumulative pressure from the suffocating nature of their attacking play. Not much use this season, but they will eventually revert closer to the mean as they've vastly outperformed the underlying stats this season.

The thread on their yellow card count had me looking at other stats on the SPFL site.
Bit of an eye opener on how many favour us despite being 9 points behind.
The first 2 of these 3 in particular.
  • Shots on goal: Rangers 576 - Celtic 553
  • Shots on target: Rangers 212- Celtic 211
  • Goals: Rangers: 72 - Celtic 93
The above clearly shows how clinical they are in front of goal compared to us despite us having more shots.

Other surprising stats
  • Cleans sheets: Rangers 12 - Celtic 13
  • Goals conceded: Rangers 27 - Celtic 21
Take out the OF goals and we have conceded 2 more against the rest. I think this shows how critical OF wins are, probably more so than ever before. Had we reversed the 4-0 drubbing, for example, we would have topped the two stats above. We'd also be just 3 behind.

If your aunty had balls and all that ;)
They shoot from distance into a crowded penalty area we don’t.

Well, we are 9 points behind?
That gap is mainly attributable to the period just before the WC under Gio when we all knew we were going to drop points and we did. Six points dropped v Livi, St Mirren & St J = league gone

Any idea on shots off target? The scum had about 36 shots off target against hibs alone at the weekend.

We're on the right path. We just need someone as clinical as roofe but without the injury concerns

A lot of their goals or shots and shots on target are from the centre of goal in and around the 6 yard box, the Japanese being the perfect example of this. Our positioning and attacking of the goal mouth has to be much better, especially by our wide players to get their ‘numbers’ up.

That gap is mainly attributable to the period just before the WC under Gio when we all knew we were going to drop points and we did. Six points dropped v Livi, St Mirren & St J = league gone
100%
I said at the time that he was a metaphorical dead man walking and everyone (bar the board) knew it. Whether it was something to do with having to trigger a certain date for a lesser pay off etc this period and then the draw at Ibrox under Beale pretty much cemented them as champions this season.

A lot of their goals or shots and shots on target are from the centre of goal in and around the 6 yard box, the Japanese being the perfect example of this. Our positioning and attacking of the goal mouth has to be much better, especially by our wide players to get their ‘numbers’ up.
Tbh I don’t see them much but clips and our own experiences make me think the same re scoring form central positions.

If accurate this could be a factor in Beale considering a back three imo

Injuries this season cost us multiple points. Add that to the scandalous decision which cost us points as Easter Road. The gap between us is tiny, whatever some posters may say. Even the hysterics about the cup final, without turning up we dominated the second half and could easily have taken it to extra time.

The players have sh@t the bed twice at Parkhead, apart from that there has been very little in recent games, even when they were in disarray under Lennon a 4-1 was as good as we got, even under the period of supposed Gerrard dominance I don’t think we beat them more than 3 games running and none by more than 2-0 other than that 4-1.

Look at when we dropped points this season

Hibs away Collum changed the dynamics of that game completely reducing us to 9 men. That wouldn’t have happened if VAR was in.

The piggery was a shambles no one turned up think too many had Ajax in the opening CL game that week in their heads.

Livingston at home we had 81% possession, 24 attempts only 3 on target. Livingston had 1 attempt on target scored it.

St Johnstone away we had 73% possession 29 attempts 7 on target scored 1, St Johnstone had 3 attempts on target scored 2.

St Mirren away we had 75% possession 14 attempts only 4 on target. St Mirren had 3 on target scored 1.

I’d argue they stats aren’t any worse than we are getting the now under Beale we just didn’t get the rub of the green in any of the games above.

celtic have lost to one other Scottish team outside us in about 70 games. St Mirren. We have lost to one other Scottish team outside them in about 70 games St Johnstone.

The future of the league must be at risk if the quality of the other sides continues to get much worse. Of course there are leagues out there that are still one or two horse races but there's competitiveness within those leagues still, bottom sides can still pull of results against the top sides in those leagues. Can't be many other leagues out there that are bad as ours at the moment quality wise.

Correct. Sport isnt worth watching without competition. Better to watch two donkeys racing than a donkey against a thoroughbred.

They shoot from distance into a crowded penalty area we don’t.

They get more players in the box than we do and they attack with speed. Our build up play is so slow the opposition get their defence back in position and we end up with the ball out wide for a speculative cross into a crowded box, crowded with defenders.

Our stats against celtic the last three games

1-2 Hampden 43.5% possession 11 attempts 2 on target, celtic 14 attempts 5 on target,

2-2 Ibrox 39.5% possession 15 attempts 5 on target, celtic 8 attempts 2 on target,

0-4 Piggery 54.0% possession 11 attempts 2 on target, celtic 15 attempts 6 on target.

So we had most possession when we lost 4-0, the same amount of attempts and on target at Hampden and the Piggery,

however 37 attempts only 9 on target, 3 goals

celtic on the other hand 37 attempts, 11 on target, 8 goals

I dont really see the point in all the gushin over Celtic stats or using them to blame Kent for everything... Kent plays every game for a start so subs coming on in last 10 or 20 mins for either side are probably scoring or getting an assist when the smaller clubs centre backs are shattered.

And the refereeing is shameful he would get a few more goals if he played for Celtic(and miss a few more sitters) as the teams in this league are far more worried about tackling a yahoo.

Does winning a penalty kick or a foul for a free kicks thats scored count as an assist ? i am not sure yeah i know who really cares ? all this numberz stuff is tiresome.

The op is right its all about beating Celtic and to do that we need to defend properly.

Our stats against celtic the last three games

1-2 Hampden 43.5% possession 11 attempts 2 on target, celtic 14 attempts 5 on target,

2-2 Ibrox 39.5% possession 15 attempts 5 on target, celtic 8 attempts 2 on target,

0-4 Piggery 54.0% possession 11 attempts 2 on target, celtic 15 attempts 6 on target.

So we had most possession when we lost 4-0, the same amount of attempts and on target at Hampden and the Piggery,

however 37 attempts only 9 on target, 3 goals

celtic on the other hand 37 attempts, 11 on target, 8 goals

They break quickly so their chances are better than ours. We're too slow.

Back