Spl players

I'd be happy with Lewis Ferguson, he's a good player with a lot of potential to develop under a quality management team like we've got.
However, his manky rancid club would want a stupid fee to deal with us. It wouldn't be worthwhile, and I think we'd all feel sick handing over a few million to that shower.
I'm sure he signed a hefty new deal with them not too long ago, so it's not even like we can pick him up like Jack and Wright to send them all mental.

A 22 year old Scottish international, was 4th or 5th top scorer in the league while playing for a terrible terrible football team.

Change his name to whatever you want, he's the best player outside the old firm.

I'd also say Ramsay at Aberdeen has potential, but he'll be away to the EPL.
Maybe young Fergie isn't good enough to play for Rangers, who really can be sure?
But he is certainly a far better player than a lot on here would have you believe.

I can see why he might not be the type we need for European football, but on a shyte windy midweek up in Dingwall, he is the sort to fight for every ball and score a winning header in the seventh minute.
Eh, not that refs give us seven minutes chasing games like that. ;)

Aren't most of Ferguson's goals penalties anyway? Some seem to think he's an Arfield type player but he isn't, doesn't have the skill or guile of Arfield and it's not even close.

Barrie is one we prob let go too early, just unfortunate how it ended up.

He didn't want to sign a new deal and had his agent leak stuff to the press after the club made it clear they weren't happy with the amount of leaks. He's also not kicked on as a player since; drifts in and out of games, can go several without being effective and generally flatters to deceive. We made the right decision to move him on.

The big money signings if any and players being sold can't happen till 1st June.
But forgetting european or English based players , is there a spl player that would or could improve our squad never mind the starting 11..
I've looked very hard and can't see one
Back in the day I used to notice the good SPL players, whether it be Eoin Jess , Billy Dodds, Neil McCann etc. I struggle to see anyone that stands out these days. Maybe just don't watch enough other games

I'd be happy with Lewis Ferguson, he's a good player with a lot of potential to develop under a quality management team like we've got.
However, his manky rancid club would want a stupid fee to deal with us. It wouldn't be worthwhile, and I think we'd all feel sick handing over a few million to that shower.
I'm sure he signed a hefty new deal with them not too long ago, so it's not even like we can pick him up like Jack and Wright to send them all mental.
Better value to be had picking players up from down South like we done with Aribo, Bassey etc than giving Aberdeen silly money. Just wait and take him for hee haw in a few years

Back in the day I used to notice the good SPL players, whether it be Eoin Jess , Billy Dodds, Neil McCann etc. I struggle to see anyone that stands out these days. Maybe just don't watch enough other games

There are still good players, but more often than not they head down south younger than they used to. Josh Doig at Hibs is a decent player, for example. Not suggesting we should be looking at him as Borna is better and Bassey is too - and I'll admit I was one who would have taken Doig over Bassey at the start of the season - but I do think he'll have a decent career.

Aren't most of Ferguson's goals penalties anyway? Some seem to think he's an Arfield type player but he isn't, doesn't have the skill or guile of Arfield and it's not even close.
16 goals, 9 from the spot so 7 non penalty goals this season.

Tbh if he was cheaper I’d want us to sign him as he can definitely be developed into a nice footballer considering his age and attributes. However, Aberdeen will likely want a stupid fee for which we can probably find better players.

There are still good players, but more often than not they head down south younger than they used to. Josh Doig at Hibs is a decent player, for example. Not suggesting we should be looking at him as Borna is better and Bassey is too - and I'll admit I was one who would have taken Doig over Bassey at the start of the season - but I do think he'll have a decent career.
I've watched him a couple of times after he was linked and he was rotten but no saw loads of him. We seem to be producing a decent calibre of player ourselves so hopefully they keep coming

16 goals, 9 from the spot so 7 non penalty goals this season.

Tbh if he was cheaper I’d want us to sign him as he can definitely be developed into a nice footballer considering his age and attributes. However, Aberdeen will likely want a stupid fee for which we can probably find better players.
Alex Lowry is a far better player than Lewis Ferguson btw. I'd take Ferguson on a free or cheap but no worth serious money

Alex Lowry is a far better player than Lewis Ferguson btw. I'd take Ferguson on a free or cheap but no worth serious money
He may well be but they’re different players and different styles of midfielders. I think Lowry is excellent but he can only fill one spot in the squad. We could be looking at Aribo, Kamara and Davis leaving as well as Ramsey who’s gone. The midfield will need some additions although I doubt Ferguson will be one of them.

He has become a bit of a joke figure on FF but there’s definitely a player there and for a small fee I reckon he’d be a good signing. Trouble is there’s no chance Aberdeen would let us get him cheaply unless they are extremely skint.

I've watched him a couple of times after he was linked and he was rotten but no saw loads of him. We seem to be producing a decent calibre of player ourselves so hopefully they keep coming

He's generally not impressed against us, but for the most part few Hibs players have in recent years. This season can't have been a good one for any of the young lads in that team given the sacking of Jack Ross apparently not going down well, and Shaun Maloney being a disaster. The media up here have exaggerated how good he is though.

I've went to most of the B Team games at Dumbarton and there's genuinely several talented players that will play at a decent level. Not saying they'll all make it with us but Adam Devine, Robbie Fraser, Cole McKinnon, Arron Lyall, Charlie Lindsay, Lewis MacKinnon and Ross McCausland all have serious potential - in addition to Lowry, McCann and King, who have already been around the first team regularly. They can't all make it with us but those lads will make it somewhere - as will others - and I don't think Lowry and King will be the only two from the current B Team who get a chance to make the grade.

He may well be but they’re different players and different styles of midfielders. I think Lowry is excellent but he can only fill one spot in the squad. We could be looking at Aribo, Kamara and Davis leaving as well as Ramsey who’s gone. The midfield will need some additions although I doubt Ferguson will be one of them.

He has become a bit of a joke figure on FF but there’s definitely a player there and for a small fee I reckon he’d be a good signing. Trouble is there’s no chance Aberdeen would let us get him cheaply unless they are extremely skint.
I see him as an Arfield replacement, combative and nicks goals. He's no a Davis, Kamara type. Good squad option but not someone I'd spend serious money on

I see him as an Arfield replacement, combative and nicks goals. He's no a Davis, Kamara type. Good squad option but not someone I'd spend serious money on
Yeah I agree mate. It’s said on here all the time that he’s only mentioned because of his last name but I actually think he gets written off more because of his last name. He’s not a bad player and I think he can certainly have a good career when he leaves Aberdeen.

I think we will need 3 new strikers depending on Alfie and Roofe as a third striker I think worse could do worse than Charles Cook he would be a real low cost back up for hopefully Alfie and one other less injury prone than Roofe

Yeah I agree mate. It’s said on here all the time that he’s only mentioned because of his last name but I actually think he gets written off more because of his last name. He’s not a bad player and I think he can certainly have a good career when he leaves Aberdeen.
He signed quite a long contract as well if I mind right so won't be anytime soon picking him up like Ryan Jack and Scott Wright

Kamara can play further up the pitch, to be fair. He does it regularly for Finland and caused Italy problems, and Gio has allowed him to play further forward at times. He did a job for us under Gerrard that actually hid some of his qualities that weren't really suited to the role. I think if he goes this summer some folk are going to be surprised to see he's not the deep sitting midfielder Gerrard generally deployed him as.

I think we will need 3 new strikers depending on Alfie and Roofe as a third striker I think worse could do worse than Charles Cook he would be a real low cost back up for hopefully Alfie and one other less injury prone than Roofe
The striking options have cost us a bit end of the season for sure.
Kamara can play further up the pitch, to be fair. He does it regularly for Finland and caused Italy problems, and Gio has allowed him to play further forward at times. He did a job for us under Gerrard that actually hid some of his qualities that weren't really suited to the role. I think if he goes this summer some folk are going to be surprised to see he's not the deep sitting midfielder Gerrard generally deployed him as.
Aye thats true to be fair , I have him as a good reader of the game that keeps the ball and best suited to DM but obviously big John's been playing that role because he can slot in at CB as well. Kamara is a quality footballer , not been as good this season as last but I'd move him on now if a serious offer came in

My list of SPFL players that are worth a mention, would probably only sign one, maybe two off this list and they both play for Hibs.

Aberdeen - Lewis Ferguson, Calvin Ramsay

Dundee - No

Dundee Utd - No

Hearts - Beni Baningime, Barrie McKay

Hibs - Josh Doig, Kevin Nisbet

Livi - No

Motherwell - Liam Kelly

Ross County - Regan Charles-Cook, Joe Hungbo (Watford)

St Johnstone - No

St Mirren - No
Barron at Aberdeen has potential. The young LB aswell was promising but he got a few injuries.

Dundee United have a lot of promising youngsters but they'd be B team here. Shame we never went for Smith before he left.

I'd add Kingsley to the Hearts list he would be a solid backup LB/LCB in a 3. He has absolutely wonderful technique from set pieces.

That young Norwegian striker Hibs signed from Bodo looks like he could be good. One to keep an eye on. Jasper the wingers looks to have great dribbling aswell.

St. Mirren have that Ronan who looks a player. They also have Erithon and Reid who have potential.

There are good potential players in this league that could be developed further.

The problem though is virtually all of them would cost us fees that wouldn't make the deals worthwhile.

Why go pay £4 million for Ferguson as a project player, when you can get better value for money abroad. At £1-2 million Ferguson would be decent value and worth a shot. But unless they are going out of contract in 6-12 months, you aren't getting them at reasonable prices or frees.

We should just continue what we are doing with Jack, Kamara, Wright and Souttar (+ the Jones miss). Keeping an eye on the best players in Scotland and making moves in their final year. They won't all work out but given the fees and wages involved, they aren't massively risky transfers. Especially compared to spending £4 million on a project in Ferguson.

He didn't want to sign a new deal and had his agent leak stuff to the press after the club made it clear they weren't happy with the amount of leaks. He's also not kicked on as a player since; drifts in and out of games, can go several without being effective and generally flatters to deceive. We made the right decision to move him on.
That exact description sums up most wingers, see Ryan Kent.

At the right price, and prior to the latter's knee injury, I'd be happy with both Ferguson and Nisbet. I could see Ferguson as the long term successor to Arfield. A type of player that Gio clearly fancies.

Nisbet would be the ideal back-up number 9 who will score goals domestically and has enough of a physical presence and first touch to work well in our system in Europe. It's also really hard for clubs of our size to develop strikers, so that rules out the youth academy. Hibs signed Nisbet the same summer we signed Itten for probably ten times the price.

Problem is, they'll never be available at the right price. Those clubs will charge a premium, or refuse to do business with us at all.

Ferguson is more in the mould of Jack or big Jon than our other mids. He has a lot of experience for his age and could be a good player for us. Certainly has steel and potential. Doubt we are interested but he's not half as bad as some make out.

Here's two things I want to see in a player from the SPFL for us to want them.

1. Is he by far and away the best player at the Club?

2. Do I think "This guy is way too good for 'Insert team name' "

Souttar, Kamara fall into those categories, I thought Docherty did as well.

Is there anyone I see like that currently, nope.
Not going to be popular but

A lot of people on here are missing one player who just happens to be on loan at the mutants!!!

Would you take a punt on the George Michael lookalike who has a £6m release clause in his contract. He for me is head and shoulders above anything they have.

As an aside would anyone take carter vickers as a replacement for Goldson if the price is right?

The fact they both are on loan at Celtic shouldn’t make them untouchable as far as transfers go as their loans spells are up on June 1st

The problem with signing the best SPFL players, is the premium we need to pay. £4M for guys like Ferguson and Ramsey. I think our youth academy should be providing our Scottish backbone where possible. Step McCann, Lowry and King up where we can next season.
Couldn't agree more. I've no doubt there are players playing in Scotland who could do a job in our squad but it's a question of value.

I'd rather have a youth set up that gets us through the home grown rules for Europe and spend the premium on better players from other nations. We'll get more for our money.

The boy is bang average. Feel like we need to go through this every window.
Like Jack when he came to us, Ferguson wouldn’t get away with half of what he currently does. Is he then able to adjust his game to better suit the needs of playing for Rangers, just as Jack did? I’m not so sure.

Ramsay's going to Liverpool.

Yet there's folk on this thread telling us that there's not a single SPFL player that would improve us...

Ramsay technically wouldn’t improve our first 11 just now with Tav in his way.

Historically we have always signed players from Scotland and will probably continue to do this forever. The majority of posters on here don’t know football.

There's no comparison between Ryan Kent and Barrie McKay though. Kent, even when he's playing poorly, is clearly trying. That's not something that can be said of McKay.

There's also absolutely no reason Rangers fans in 2022 should want Barrie McKay signed again.
I agree re: resigning him

Apparently we were looking at Kingsley before he resigned at Hearts, I would have absolutely taken him on a free. Can play LB or left side of a three

Domestically, I don’t think his levels have been a million miles away from Borna’s, great set piece taker. Would have been a good signing for the squad.

I don't think we will sign him, I don't think the contract situation makes it possible.

What I'm saying is that the profile of our midfield is changing under GVB, and a player like Ferguson is exactly who we're going to bring in. If it wasn't for the contract situation he has with Aberdeen, it almost certainly would be Ferguson that we'd buy, because he ticks all the boxes that we'll be looking for.
Apart from ability

Lewis Ferguson would be a good buy now. Only has two years left on his deal, Aberdeen just finished 10th so may need some money. I reckon we could get him for around the 3 million mark which would not bother me paying that for him. Long term he’s also a good arfield replacement. Plus he fills the home grown filler in Europe.

Not saying that he is good enough or that we should sign him, but next season will be a big one for Callum Hendry at St. Johnstone. Would expect him to get scouted fairly soon if he starts scoring regularly.

Lewis Ferguson would be a good buy now. Only has two years left on his deal, Aberdeen just finished 10th so may need some money. I reckon we could get him for around the 3 million mark which would not bother me paying that for him. Long term he’s also a good arfield replacement. Plus he fills the home grown filler in Europe.
£3m? Are you being serious? A bit early to be drinking...

£3m? Are you being serious?
Yes mate, for someone who would be in our team/squad for a long time. Yeah I would spend £3 million on him. We know he doesn’t have any real injury issues, can score from midfield and is only 22 so has plenty time to develop. In the grand scheme of things, £3 million isn’t a lot of money in todays game for someone of that description.

Yes mate, for someone who would be in our team/squad for a long time. Yeah I would spend £3 million on him. We know he doesn’t have any real injury issues, can score from midfield and is only 22 so has plenty time to develop. In the grand scheme of things, £3 million isn’t a lot of money in todays game for someone of that description.
7 out of his 11 have been penalties, only 2 of his 11 have been from open play.

7 out of his 11 have been penalties, only 2 of his 11 have been from open play.
Penalties count as goals scored as well. And I would say that in the current Aberdeen team it’s probably difficult to score goals in a team as incompetent as them.

Penalties count as goals scored as well. And I would say that in the current Aberdeen team it’s probably difficult to score goals in a team as incompetent as them.
Course they do but using his goals stats as a reason to sign him when 65% of his goals come from the penalty spot is stupid.

Yes mate, for someone who would be in our team/squad for a long time. Yeah I would spend £3 million on him. We know he doesn’t have any real injury issues, can score from midfield and is only 22 so has plenty time to develop.
Wow.

I’m all for Scottish players values being overinflated like England’s to claw some vague notion of financial parity back, but £3m for Lewis Ferguson is crazy.

Under contract he’s worth, tops, about £800k. In fact, I go as far to say that he’s really worth about six hundred grand. He’s been going to Watford for £1m, Cagliari for £2m and yet he’s still at Aberdoom.

Somehow I think his old man and his uncle have been talking him up to their contacts in the red tops. Could he blossom at Ibrox with better coaching and playing with better players? I would say yes as he obviously tries to improve himself but in reality, what would he add to the Rangers midfield compliment other than physical presence, dig and reasonable aerial ability?

Not a whole lot.

Wow.

I’m all for Scottish players values being overinflated like England’s to claw some vague notion of financial parity back, but £3m for Lewis Ferguson is crazy.

Under contract he’s worth, tops, about £800k. In fact, I go as far to say that he’s really worth about six hundred grand. He’s been going to Watford for £1m, Cagliari for £2m and yet he’s still at Aberdoom.

Somehow I think his old man and his uncle have been talking him up to their contacts in the red tops. Could he blossom at Ibrox with better coaching and playing with better players? I would say yes as he obviously tries to improve himself but in reality, what would he add to the Rangers midfield compliment other than physical presence, dig and reasonable aerial ability?

Not a whole lot.
Ah the old spfl players aren’t worth it let’s look abroad for a player routine, that’s what certainly screams from your post. How can we ask for big fees for our players if the players we’re playing against are worth do little.

Was Ryan jack good enough for us before he joined? Signing a player from the spfl is good because he’s already adjusted to the league. Can take a while for players to adjust to our league, see lundstram. Lewis Ferguson adds someone who is very similar to arfield in style of play and he’s certainly been a good signing for us. Ferguson would also be a good signing, is only 22 with plenty of potential to grow.

I remember when we signed Aluko from Aberdeen there was plenty people on here saying he’s shite & not good enough for Rangers etc.

Players with potential get better, with a higher calibre of players around them IMO.

For someone with a far higher level of technical ability than Lewis Ferguson, then yes, I’d agree.

His passing is one dimensional. He isn’t a genuine box to box driving force. He doesn't have exceptional pace. His main attributes that set him apart from similar players of very slightly better than ordinary ability are his physical ones.

For that kind of money we can do far better. Could he do a job as a squad player? Maybe. But there are better technical players coming through the ranks who, when they fill out, will be every bit as physical as Lewis Ferguson.

Back