Sports Direct cancel bid for Patisserie Valerie

okeydokey505

Official Ticketer
Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has cancelled a bid for collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, just two days after making an offer.
The retail billionaire announced his bid for the chain on Friday evening.
Sports Direct offered £15m, but was told by administrator KPMG it would need to offer up to £2m more than this, according to the Financial Times.
Patisserie Valerie collapsed last month. KPMG closed 70 outlets, but kept 121 open in the hope of selling them.
Mr Ashley is thought to be facing several competing bids for Patisserie Valerie, including, according to reports, from Costa, the coffee chain bought by Coca-Cola last year.
The retail tycoon, who also owns English Premier League football club Newcastle United, made his name building budget chain Sports Direct into Britain's biggest sporting goods retailer.

Sports Direct offered £15m, but was told by administrator KPMG it would need to offer up to £2m more than this, according to the Financial Times.
2pt8jgx.jpg

I’m genuinely happy at this. I’m generally not a fan of cakes but I love Pattiserie Valerie. Still wouldn’t rule the fat cûnt out right enough.

He's trying get a high street monopoly on the cheap hope his businesses end up up shit street

I agree with the sentiment mate but what about the people who work for him? They have done nothing to warrant losing their job. That’s a tough one is it not?

He's trying get a high street monopoly on the cheap hope his businesses end up up shit street
It’s sad times for the high street. I hope Ashley and his chains fail but online is killing the high street and it is a sad state for towns up and down the country.

Last edited:
I agree with the sentiment mate but what about the people who work for him? They have done nothing to warrant losing their job. That’s a tough one is it not?
the day he took over they lost, i would love to see what the rate of pay is and other conditions that people now have compared to what they had and also what pension they will end up with.

He clearly thought he could do his usual and swoop ant it on the cheap to sell off assets, but when a rival bid came in he's decided it's not worth this time.

Absolute snake.

He clearly thought he could do his usual and swoop ant it on the cheap to sell off assets, but when a rival bid came in he's decided it's not worth this time.

Absolute snake.

He is trying to buy the high street so he can force the government into bringing in an online tax.

Why aren't the Monopolies Commision on to him?!.

Because no one else wanted the other companies and he was appearing as the hero to save jobs etc.

If other companies are interested this time he knows he's fucked as he will never pay over the odds.

Didn't realise he had partial ownership of Game. Haven't shopped there for quite some time but I did order something cheap on Black Friday for collection which was mysteriously out of stock when I got there.

Wouldn't even have tried if I'd know.

Everlast gym gear in Frasers shop window, how the mighty have fallen. Used to go in there every time i was in town before a game or just up with the mrs but now after cashley took over, never .:mad:

Everlast gym gear in Frasers shop window, how the mighty have fallen. Used to go in there every time i was in town before a game or just up with the mrs but now after cashley took over, never .:mad:

Yeah used to go there one of my favourite shops. Cannot believe it has basically now a sports direct.

How long before the Glasgow store closes and gets turned into luxury flats.

Was it a serious bid, because I don't see what he would want with a business like that? It's like when Branson used to appear in the press every time a British company went bust

Never been don't see the point of buying a cake when you can get 13 yum yums from Gregg's for the same price!
Seems the fat bully trying to railroad the Administrators into accepting an undervalued bid, hopefully they have another buyer to save jobs

the day he took over they lost, i would love to see what the rate of pay is and other conditions that people now have compared to what they had and also what pension they will end up with.

No disagreement from me mate but a jobs a job. I glad I was able to get a good well paid and now we’ll pensioned job but not everyone does and maybe working in a Sports Direct store is the best you can get.

No disagreement from me mate but a jobs a job. I glad I was able to get a good well paid and now we’ll pensioned job but not everyone does and maybe working in a Sports Direct store is the best you can get.
working in sports direct is the the thing you do to get through Uni, the other stores that he has destroyed where people would have better terms and conditions till his hench men ran the places into the ground so he could look the good guy buying them back for next to nothing and threatening landlords with closure if they didn't reduce the rent. the government should be looking at his deals and put a stop to him destroying more high street names.

some how i dont think working anywhere this man owns has got any future and that includes retirement.

Imagine going in there for a coffee and having to drink it out of one of those enormous Sports Direct mugs.

That's him fed then the fat bastard. How much fatter can he get.

He will end up on tv. My 600lb life.

Think you missed some key elements of the story OP. I managed to locate the full story:

On Doctor's orders, Mike Ashley's Sports Direct has cancelled a bid for collapsed cafe chain Patisserie Valerie, just two days after making an offer.
The retail billionaire announced his bid for the chain on Friday evening.

Mike Ashley had originally planned to build a pipeline from Patisserie Valerie factory in Birmingham to his office at Sports Direct HQ in Shirebrook. However, after consultation with both his GP and leading Geologists, it was suggested that it would not be in his best interest to complete the purchase, as it could potentially tip the earths axis.

Patisserie Valerie collapsed last month. KPMG closed 70 outlets, but kept 121 open in the hope of selling them. An insider suggested that Mike Ashley was willing to make up for the lost of 70 outlets by eating stock equivalent to 70 stores per day, with plenty of room for expansion as his appetite and waist line continues to expand.

Mr Ashley is thought to be facing several competing bids for Patisserie Valerie, including, according to reports, from Costa, the coffee chain bought by Coca-Cola last year.
The retail tycoon, who also owns English Premier League football club Newcastle United, made his name building budget chain Sports Direct into Britain's biggest sporting goods retailer.

Back