Sports direct not going away!

Discussion in 'The Bear Pit' started by JCB64, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Dumfriesbear

Dumfriesbear Well-Known Member

If Rangers wi this battle and when the contract is up for renewal, does fatso need to be given the option to bid again?

2. SenoraCuellar

SenoraCuellar Well-Known Member

It certainly seems to be motivated more by spite than good business.

Modfella and gersandproud like this.
  3. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Well-Known Member

Well no one will be wearing the new top then,as if they win,SD run the megastore and website..........unless you can purchase direct from Hummel?
    You have to ask yourself do you love Rangers more than you hate SD?

crookie_bear and antrimbear like this.
  4. skyelander

skyelander Active Member

I almost cannot bear reading much more of this thread. It just enrages me more and more having to think about what that parasitic b'stard has done to our great club in the past and somehow continues to cause us so much grief. He must know by now SD is toxic to our support. We simply will not set foot in his skanky shops. Hateful excuse of a man. May death visit his door ASAP.

Rangersnumberfour likes this.
  5. Jonnybear

Jonnybear Well-Known Member

I hope that BB81 and Brownbrogues are right where they said that they think that the judge is minded to set aside the contract.

If he does, will that bastard have to pay our legal fees and give us compensation for loss of income and for not getting allowing fans to get their strips on time?

The_Irrepressibles likes this.
  6. spotlight

spotlight Well-Known Member

And the rats that invited him in..

7. DougieJones

DougieJones Well-Known Member

Amen brother, I’m a keen runner, but would rather go out in a toga than buy gear out of his gypsy bazaars. We need to get together like never before and make his brand as toxic as possible. The Gerrard factor can extend this South of the border - if the Scousers stop buying his trackies he’s in trouble! I’d suggest Club1872, as the supporters voice, needs to make the next move. Let’s turn his poxy company into the next Ratners.

Calio likes this.
  8. Dex78

Dex78 Member

What happens at end of month back to high court?

9. bornabluenose

bornabluenose Well-Known Member

Judge gives his decision .

Dex78 likes this.
  10. defender

defender Well-Known Member

It's getting to be a close call with me

11. Cyberniv

Cyberniv Well-Known Member

12. Dex78

Dex78 Member

Thanks bud better than trying to decipher everything on here

13. Marty101

Marty101 Active Member

If that’s correct it means the going rate for clubs is about 6p in the pound from shirt sales...:eek:

14. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Well-Known Member

It’s not even up for debate.

15. Safe Standing Bear

Safe Standing Bear Well-Known Member

If we boycot buying the tops again can Hummel rip up the contract?

16. Wessy33

Wessy33 Active Member

I won't pretend to understand much of the legal talk but the way I read it is at worst we will be stuck with SD but on the same terms as JD were offering, as much as I hate the fat bassa and hope he chokes to death on his next pie I can't see how boycotting the sale of new kit will benifit the club in any way, I don't want to line Ashley's pocket but at the same time I don't want to deny the club much needed income.

Mr Blue Sky and BlueBear81 like this.
  17. si72

si72 Well-Known Member

If it goes the fat bastards way then someone else will need to buy it for me with their own cash.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  18. Greebo

Greebo Well-Known Member

I take it to mean that's just the licencing part, the club would also surely want part of the retailing income, which is the largest individual cut. Would that not be why a club was looking for a "retail partner".

19. Brant Hurley

Brant Hurley Well-Known Member

Or buy direct from Hummel. They'd get the retail % rather than Cashley? Not ideal for RFC, but maintains my SD boycott.

nemessis likes this.
  20. The Hooded Claw

The Hooded Claw Member

I know I do but do others?. The Turkey fakes will be everywhere if SD win out or if the Hummel direct buy is ok that will be our saving grace

21. Wessy33

Wessy33 Active Member

I'm not sure you can buy direct from hummel mate they don't have any other kits on their site could be wrong tho

22. Bluenose1979

Bluenose1979 Well-Known Member

I honestly can’t see Hummel being able to direct sell our kit without SD getting their %. What would be the point of these exclusive retail deals if they weren’t exclusive?

I could be wrong but I just think it’s fantasy.

Wessy33 likes this.
  23. mart22

mart22 Well-Known Member

Retail is an exclusive contract. You can't buy off Hummel. If you could we'd all be buying merch off them now. Hummel will manufacture our merch and supply it to the retail partner so it can be sold to supporters.

Wessy33 likes this.
  24. Greebo

Greebo Well-Known Member

I have to say I tend to agree with that. Why would a retail deal be set up if people can buy directly from the manufacturer / sponsor. I would imagine they are set up for wholesale arrangements, not retail.

I would have thought any retail deal would include exclusivity.

Wessy33 likes this.
  25. Brant Hurley

Brant Hurley Well-Known Member

Common courtesy requires that I thank you for this, mart22. But frankly, it's a scunner...

26. mart22

mart22 Well-Known Member

I feel exactly the same. Evidence we've provided in the hearing, at least, has given the judge something to think about. There's still a chance our retail partner will not be filthy Sports Direct. Here's hoping ...

kilbirnie bear and Brant Hurley like this.
  27. Marty101

Marty101 Active Member

I guess that’s right, but the implication seems to be that most EPL teams don’t get anything from the retailing income.

I’ve no idea if what’s in the article is correct, but if so I’m surprised how low their share of the shirt sales is, to be honest.

28. Greebo

Greebo Well-Known Member

It could be that the author is playing with the numbers for sensationalism and everyone actually gets a cut of the retailing nowadays.

One of those, strictly speaking its accurate but it doesn't tell the real story sort of thing.

Marty101 likes this.
  29. mart22

mart22 Well-Known Member

That is really surprising to read, at first, but then thinking about it, who will buy Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton, Crystal Palace, and the like's kits in any significant volume? These clubs don't have a merch hungry support like we do. However, Man Utd, Liverpool, and Newcastle kits are big sellers, 2 of these 3 clubs will do very well out of their merch sales.

The_Irrepressibles likes this.
  30. Marty101

Marty101 Active Member

31. defender

defender Well-Known Member

Outflank the fat thief by having Hummel pay us a large sum to manufacture reducing the profit margin so he gets a percentage of very little, we then agree a fee in some other form which gets round the fraudulent contractual clauses

32. bluenose1977

bluenose1977 Member

If SD win and retain retail rights, what do those calling for another boycott think that would do for the club's chances of competing with tarriers next few years?

The initial boycott made sense as the deal was strangling us, I was fully behind it and bought nothing from SD as I believed it would ultimately help the club. When the deal was 'normalised, after the 3mil payoff and the end of the 7yr termination period along with us receiving proper percentages from the profits and King gave us go ahead to buy, I bought strips, tops and training gear from online store (still havent set foot in a SD store) for several members of my family.

I believe that the sales spike after the end of that boycott would have then aided us in looking for new kit suppliers and potential retail partners 'look at these figures showing what our supporters will do when deal benefits club'

I believe that sales projections for these new strips have aided in having the money available to bring in Gerrard, his backroom team and the new players.

I believe any new boycott of SD, if they retain rights, will not help but rather harm the club this time, both now and in future. We won't bring in the money we expect this season for a start, we will likely have to sell players rather than strengthen In future windows. When we look to a new deal in future with kit suppliers and retail partners they will see low sales numbers on a deal that would have financially benefited the club and be less likely to want to partner with us. We could then be stuck with SD for many years to come.

I ccompletely understand the emotive immediate response of not giving him f.uck all, I feel it too but ... Two questions:

Do you hate Ashley more than you love Rangers?

Do you hate celtic more than you hate Ashley?

Because a boycott of a 'normalised' retail contract will only hurt us, help celtic and barely register to Ashley.

By god, I swear I wish to see the back of that despicable c.unt ... BUT, even if he wins out this time. I WILL be purchasing the new strips as I want my club to overcome those dirty fenian rats and take our rightful place back at the top of the table. If we boycott? I see nothing but 8,9,10 and beyond for them ...

Arminius, El Bow, bluehaddie and 5 others like this.
  33. mart22

mart22 Well-Known Member

Any chance of cutting and pasting? I'm being asked to subscribe before getting access to content.

34. Wessy33

Wessy33 Active Member

Very well put post mate totally agree a boycott this time around will only deny the club funds as much as it pains me if SD win the court case and providing the club get their fair share I will be purchasing the kits for myself and the wee fella

bluenose1977 likes this.
  35. Detective Vic Mackey

Detective Vic Mackey Well-Known Member

Had my heart set on this new Hummel gear.

Gutted

36. Barca Bear

Barca Bear Well-Known Member

apologies for not reading all the pages.
    if sd get to bid what jd have, then sd if they wish, can still be our retailer.
    apart from the owner of sd, then we will be a lot better off than before even if its sd retailing,
    as they are matching jd.

Wessy33 likes this.
  37. Barca Bear

Barca Bear Well-Known Member

the judge will see the jd offer broken down,
    he will see what info we gave sd,
    then he will rule,
    if we indeed gave sd the correct info, then we are ok,
    if there are differences though, the judge will rule in sd's favour and they can match the deal and continue as retailer.
    hummel aren't involved really
    we make same money whether its sd or jd.

Double D and Wessy33 like this.
  38. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

I think a statement from
    it is a high risk strategy, but a boycott statement from our fan groups may just sway the judge from a common sense point of view to potentially ending the SD contract, albeit with a maximum £1m penalty.

Wessy33 likes this.
  39. Wessy33

Wessy33 Active Member

I think its just a case of wait and see mate still of the opinion that a boycott this time around would hurt us more than them.

Chas likes this.
  40. Cutty/Young

Cutty/Young Well-Known Member

Where did you buy the training gear ? It wasn't on sale anywhere.
    If a shirt costs £5 to produce,that's including the material,thread,embroidery and some poor bastard sitting making it for 40p per hour which is a disgrace.

Turrabear and cooperno.7 like this.
  41. John Wilson

John Wilson Member

Will this be of concern to the judge though? His job, surely, will be to ascertain if the contract we have with SD is being breached and if so dealing with that.

How much we make from SD vs JD wouldn’t be of any concern to the judge I would imagine.

42. chrisgers

chrisgers Well-Known Member

Except that if you are buying the shirt from the club, then the club is also making the retailer's profit. Or a % of it if the club is partnered with an official retailer. So that slice of the pie should have been worth £18. And in this example SD would be keeping £17 and giving us £1.08 (presumably we were still getting the licensing fee from Puma as a separate but that was a bit murky as well.

43. Dooodooodrooo

Dooodooodrooo Well-Known Member

Am I right to asumme that we are now in control of the mega store and online site? If so, can't we just buy from there?

44. Dooodooodrooo

Dooodooodrooo Well-Known Member

Get pop up shops in every shopping centre.

45. bluenose1977

bluenose1977 Member

There was a limited amount of training and leisure gear in online store when King gave go ahead. I got the training tracksuit bottoms for 5s

46. SenoraCuellar

SenoraCuellar Well-Known Member

If Hummel were to sell from outisde the UK could he stop them?

Rangersnumberfour likes this.
  47. TheGoalie44

TheGoalie44 Well-Known Member

No we're not.

48. A1bertz

A1bertz Well-Known Member

If (IF} we've gave Ashley the option to match any deal or part of any deal, It must have been a viable option for us at the time in order to break the rediculous chain.

I assume the only difference to Rangers is if we would turn more strips with a JD distribution model Vs a SD (jumble salesale).

What's the club shop situation? Is this and would this be an Ashley enterprise going forward if we have to resign/ continue with him?

49. Humbug

Humbug Well-Known Member

Prior to this latest screwing from Ashley, a fellow poster and i were discussing purchasing the new strip and what percentage the club got for each sale, and also whether we were either to old to be sporting the latest merchandise.
    So the thought turned to should we just donate the amount of what we would purchase direct to the club , ensuring full percentage ?
    If the decision could be holding your nose while purchasing merchandise from SD, or a direct donation to the club i know what i would rather.

50. LJ50

LJ50 Well-Known Member

You’re right on many things, but I don’t think you’re right on this.

It doesn’t need to be, and probably won’t be, entirely exclusive. If retail deals were always exclusive then the like of Greaves Sports would never have football tops.

The retail deal will likely give the retailer the right to be the official outlet when we buy “direct” from the club, it will give it first rights on the strips (so before anyone else) and it will have the complete range of merchandise. But it doesn’t necessarily need to have exclusivity. Clearly exclusivity would attract a higher premium, so it’s a matter of the club balancing the extra revenue it might earn through other outlets and the quantum of the premium.