Sportscene, 11-30 pm, BBC Scotland channel

Yeah seemed totally OTT to send him off. I know Gerrard swore but it's not as if he was being abusive to him.
And it’s not as if Beaton doesn’t have considerable previous having to apologise to Gerrard, after Easter Road McGregor elbow on Morelos and at Aberdeen giving a free kick rather than a penalty and let‘s not go anywhere near Rugby Park last season. You could almost imagine there’s getting to be a theme there.

On your earlier point, to get to this level referees have been building their abilities for perhaps twenty years. Think of your doctor or lawyer or an airline pilot with the same experience. If they were as bad as Beaton I would go elsewhere in the case of the first two and walk rather than fly in the last. Also, he gets paid the thick end of a grand for refereeing that game tonight and he is, to give him the benefit of not calling him a cheat, utterly utterly useless.

Compare for a moment the performances of Beaton tonight with the Polish referee against Royal Antwerp last Thursday. The two are at approximately the same level in the game, the Polish referee managed a high profile intense Europa League match with little fuss and in a way where he was hardly noticed, Beaton is to say the least, as Scottish premiership referees too often are, the focal point of during and post match discussion. It’s simply not good enough.

Last edited:
Volume up full ding there at the HT verbals,

Gerrard - Can we talk? can you speak to me?
Cheat - I canny Steven, not on the pitch not on the pitch
Gerrard - I know why you're not speaking to me that's bang out of order it's a blatant penalty

how and why that leads to an immediate yellow card that he couldn't wait to produce as the gaffer walks away I'll never know

Gerrard - that's bang out of order
Cheat - Do you want me to send you off?
Gerrard - inaudible / %^*& off under his breath as he walked away (possibly??!)

Red card shown behind his back the absolute shitebag and I'm sure his fan club will be back on to tell us he's a good guy.

Now bear in mind what is said during a match, at its worse Gerrard has said that's bang out of order and %^*& off. Be match abandoned every game teams wouldn't be able to field 7 v 7

I may be wrong about this but SG's first booking could well be for entering the field of play and approaching Beaton. Beaton's reply to SG seems reasonable, not wanting any reply caught by Sky mics. Haven't got a clue why SG was given the 2nd yellow, perhaps foul or abusive language?

For me it's strange to see SG react to a poor ref decision in this manner as it isn't the first time and most definitely won't be the last time we'll be refused a stonewall penalty.

And it’s not as if Beaton doesn’t have considerable previous having to apologise to Gerrard, after Easter Road McGregor elbow on Morelos and at Aberdeen giving a free kick rather than a penalty and let not go anywhere near Rugby Park last season. You could almost imagone there’s getting to be a theme there.

On your earlier point, to get to this level referees have been building their abilities for perhaps twenty years. Think of your doctor or lawyer or an airline pilot with the same experience. If they were as bad as Beaton I would go elsewhere in the case of the first two and walk in the last. Also he gets paid the thick end of a grand for refereeing that game tonight and he is, to give him the benefit of not calling him a cheat, utterly utterly useless.

Compare for a moment the performances of Beaton tonight with the Polish referee against Royal Antwerp last Thursday. The two are at approximately the same level in the game, the Polish referee managed a high profile intense Europa League match with little fuss and in a way where he was hardly noticed, Beaton is to say the least, as Scottish premiership referees too often are, the focal point of during and post match discussion. It’s simply not good enough.

This. Excellent.

I may be wrong about this but SG's first booking could well be for entering the field of play and approaching Beaton. Beaton's reply to SG seems reasonable, not wanting any reply caught by Sky mics. Haven't got a clue why SG was given the 2nd yellow, perhaps foul or abusive language?

For me it's strange to see SG react to a poor ref decision in this manner as it isn't the first time and most definitely won't be the last time we'll be refused a stonewall penalty.
Behave yersel.

So Stewart says it's a penalty and Andy Halliday says it wasn't if the posts in the other thread are correct.

Is a job in the media that important for Halliday?

He plays for Hearts so eh yea lol. Look I am prepared to give Andy the benefit of the doubt but he’s been off a few times now and this one is laughable! Claims Alfie dived!

When I watched it live I didn't think it was a penalty.

It's not until I saw it from the side I saw the contact. Think I'm on my won with this one though!
Haha glad you saw the side angle! It's tough to be the odd ball out on FF!

Michael Stewart
I think it’s probably a penalty
But it’s not a decision you can castigate the officials for not giving it.

Can see why he can support the SNP and Sturgeon

The truth is far from his lips.
that's him having a sly dig at Stevie G ....thinks he's smart , but we all know better

That was Gerrard's point as well. Even if the referee is unsighted (in which case he shouldn't be booking anyone), there are two other officials who should see it correctly. The linesman especially has 0 excuse as it's a direct view from an angle that would definitely show the contact.
Before the penalty incident that linesman seemed to me to miss a couple of decisions for us.
He was the man in position ( or he should have been) to see the contact. Would there be any chance his allegiances may be in the way of making a fair decision?

Stevie G went on the park at half time , which is not an offence ...Beaton shit himself and reacted with a yellow without even speaking to SG. which in itself is wrong ..

So yellow card should have been fair?

The approaching the ref is a myth, unless there's a Covid protocol in place this season but the outcome tonight would have been the same last season and the same next season Covid free and that is our problem. Beaton couldn't even look him in the eye and manage a relatively easy situation and the 4th officials seem to have utter disdain for every manager. Maybe Gerrard shouldn't have entered the pitch and maybe he shouldn't have swore but the problem is wider than all of that and has been for a long time

And it’s not as if Beaton doesn’t have considerable previous having to apologise to Gerrard, after Easter Road McGregor elbow on Morelos and at Aberdeen giving a free kick rather than a penalty and let not go anywhere near Rugby Park last season. You could almost imagone there’s getting to be a theme there.

On your earlier point, to get to this level referees have been building their abilities for perhaps twenty years. Think of your doctor or lawyer or an airline pilot with the same experience. If they were as bad as Beaton I would go elsewhere in the case of the first two and walk in the last. Also he gets paid the thick end of a grand for refereeing that game tonight and he is, to give him the benefit of not calling him a cheat, utterly utterly useless.

Tbf I was also going to call him utterly utterly useless but I decided instead to complement him and call him a cheat

So yellow card should have been fair?

The approaching the ref is a myth, unless there's a Covid protocol in place this season but the outcome tonight would have been the same last season and the same next season Covid free and that is our problem. Beaton couldn't even look him in the eye and manage a relatively easy situation and the 4th officials seem to have utter disdain for every manager. Maybe Gerrard shouldn't have entered the pitch and maybe he shouldn't have swore but the problem is wider than all of that and has been for a long time.

I never said the cards SG received were fair, I was merely giving an opinion on why they may have been given. I assumed entering the pitch at H/T and approaching a ref could be a bookable offence, as could using offensive and abusive language directly at the ref (I never heard any from SG but then the SKY mic didn't pick up everything said).

As I said I was surprised SG acted in the manner he did, he usually remains calm. Perhaps like us all, he is a little on edge as 55 gets ever nearer.

More fun to round off the night. Enjoy, Bears !

Watched this earlier and see both parks on display, they really should be rolled up and replaced because if you look at the home teams of both grounds they cannae even play fitbaw on that surface never mind the visiting teams and that includes Rugby park.

It also cannae be good for enhancing technical ability as the ball disnae do what it should do on a normal playing surface.

I actually thought Michael Stewart was right - he said it was a penalty.
The first couple of angles I thought it looked a dive, it's not until the the one from the side you can really see the contact

I think it must be a nightmare being a ref trying to call these decisions on the spot without a replay.
Is that the side view that the linesman has?
Yes, it is a nightmare trying to call these so why did he call it a dive?

Before the penalty incident that linesman seemed to me to miss a couple of decisions for us.
He was the man in position ( or he should have been) to see the contact. Would there be any chance his allegiances may be in the way of making a fair decision?
I said during the match that the the main stand linesman was at it, the yellow card incident issued to Guthrie for his challenge on Arfield, when you see it back he wasn’t going to wave the flag, when he hears Beaton’s whistle is when he starts to indicate the foul, the lady's front bottom is 5yds away looking straight at it, prick!

The first couple of angles I thought it looked a dive, it's not until the the one from the side you can really see the contact

I think it must be a nightmare being a ref trying to call these decisions on the spot without a replay.

I knew it was a penalty in real time with the original camera angle, the ref was even closer so had a better view. It couldn’t have been clearer and Michael Stewart knows that, he’s only said what he said because he doesn’t like Rangers and he knows we loathe him and laugh at what a NAT arsehole he is, as well as chortling at his shitty playing career, which could be best described as beige and forgetful.

If Beatons view was restricted the linesman should have clearly seen it

But he actually saw enough of it to decide it was no penalty but definitely a dive and a booking? If he didn’t see it clearly he shouldn’t have booked Morelos.

Just watched Sportscene , didnt appreciate just how good and patient the build up play was for the goal, second half showing proved we were not settling for a draw at any point kept at it :)

One thing about the no fans is that the SPFL videos at least on Youtube, you can hear all the shouts.

Every 2nd word begins with F.

Did Gerrard swear? Yes.

He didn't swear AT beaton though. He swore to him

He didn't for example tell him to F-off. He said he was bang out of effing order.

One thing about the no fans is that the SPFL videos at least on Youtube, you can hear all the shouts.

Every 2nd word begins with F.

Did Gerrard swear? Yes.

He didn't swear AT beaton though. He swore to him

He didn't for example tell him to F-off. He said he was bang out of effing order.
If swearing at a ref is a booking then games would finish as 5 a side matches.

Reactions: TNT

The linesman can see it from the side? So he’s then either a cheat or blind.

Definitely not for entering the field of play, if that was the case he'd have had the card out before SG could speak and he responded to SG by saying he'd speak to him up the tunnel, or words to that effect. He produced the yellow as Gerrard turned away.

But he actually saw enough of it to decide it was no penalty but definitely a dive and a booking? If he didn’t see it clearly he shouldn’t have booked Morelos.
I thought he'd book Itten for diving as he had his arm grabbed pulling him back for what should have been a penalty and the cheat was standing looking straight at it with a clear view. Wonder why he didn't? Couldn't possibly be an agenda against Alfie could it ?

Just got it on iPlayer.

Cannot believe Maclean re. the Arfield chance.

Heaps praise on Sibbald. He totally cleaned Arfield out. That was, for me, the most blatant penalty of them all!

(Yes. Arfield should have hit the target).

it was Half time ffs

It is utterly bizarre that Beaton can consult with the linesman and still refuse a penalty and yellow card Alfie.
Its what SG said, how can all 3 officials not see it was a penalty? The 4th official turned his back on him and refused to engage with him :mad: Martingale, Walker, Lovett and Boys all say it was a penalty, but those with the best view all decide it wasn't, call me paranoid, but that stinks of collusion to me.

Volume up full ding there at the HT verbals,

Gerrard - Can we talk? can you speak to me?
Cheat - I canny Steven, not on the pitch not on the pitch
Gerrard - I know why you're not speaking to me that's bang out of order it's a blatant penalty

how and why that leads to an immediate yellow card that he couldn't wait to produce as the gaffer walks away I'll never know

Gerrard - that's bang out of order
Cheat - Do you want me to send you off?
Gerrard - inaudible / %^*& off under his breath as he walked away (possibly??!)

Red card shown behind his back the absolute shitebag and I'm sure his fan club will be back on to tell us he's a good guy.

Now bear in mind what is said during a match, at its worse Gerrard has said that's bang out of order and %^*& off. Be match abandoned every game teams wouldn't be able to field 7 v 7
As SG said, how can I talk to him off the pitch? Both teams and officials are in separate stands.

I think your definitely wrong,firstly its half time (if hes breached that rule ok)beaton's reply seems reasonable "cant talk on the field has to be inside"theres a fkn pandemic on he cant TALK inside, couldn't even look him in the eyes,he know he fucked it ,go back a few posts mate and read the catalogue of errors that chunt has against us,and apologised for 0ne or two, everybody has their breaking point mate,and last night stevie G stood up for alfie and the team and as he has said "it doesn't concern other teams or managers it's his mistake,he willtake his punishment "sorry not a personal attack on you mate,but it's time we stood up against this whole corrupt cesspit of Scottish football

That was Gerrard's point as well. Even if the referee is unsighted (in which case he shouldn't be booking anyone), there are two other officials who should see it correctly. The linesman especially has 0 excuse as it's a direct view from an angle that would definitely show the contact.
Very good point.

You could forgive the ref for not seeing it. Mistakes happen but the fact he books Alfie suggests he did see it or hes guessing.

Back